gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:11:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday No Pier Pressure  (Read 15561 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »

I'm not expecting anything great from Brian's book. I hope he is more involved in it than he was the first one, but won't be surprised if he's not. In fact, I won't be surprised if this book comes off like WIBN take 2, with Melinda as the savior instead of Landy.

= What?

noooo not this please

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »

I have to wonder how much Brian is really into these latter day albums. I mean, they spend some time writing and recording them, hype them all to heck when they are released...and then a short time later, it's like they are forgotten. I mean, how many NPP songs is Brian doing on his tour this year? When was the last time he played anything off TLOS or the Gershwin record? His solo career has been spotty; for me, BW88, OCA and TLOS are the keepers. And maybe IJWMFTT. The rest I could take 'em or leave 'em.

+

I'm not expecting anything great from Brian's book. I hope he is more involved in it than he was the first one, but won't be surprised if he's not. In fact, I won't be surprised if this book comes off like WIBN take 2, with Melinda as the savior instead of Landy.

= What?

It just feels to me like he's going through the motions. He's expected to make a new record every couple years or so, so he does, then the tours happen...but the tours are mostly about playing the old songs. I guess that's what pays the bills. There was a time, though, when I thought Brian's future promised a lot more than just being a touring oldies act. It's strange that Mike gets so much flack about doing the old hits year after year, but for the most part, that's what Brian's been doing, too.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »

I have to wonder how much Brian is really into these latter day albums. I mean, they spend some time writing and recording them, hype them all to heck when they are released...and then a short time later, it's like they are forgotten. I mean, how many NPP songs is Brian doing on his tour this year? When was the last time he played anything off TLOS or the Gershwin record? His solo career has been spotty; for me, BW88, OCA and TLOS are the keepers. And maybe IJWMFTT. The rest I could take 'em or leave 'em.

+

= What?

It just feels to me like he's going through the motions. He's expected to make a new record every couple years or so, so he does, then the tours happen...but the tours are mostly about playing the old songs. I guess that's what pays the bills. There was a time, though, when I thought Brian's future promised a lot more than just being a touring oldies act. It's strange that Mike gets so much flack about doing the old hits year after year, but for the most part, that's what Brian's been doing, too.
Well actually mate...
Not sure about your neck of the woods but he has done in Australia, The Gershwin Tour and The Lucky Old Sun tour. Plus you can't imagine him doing a NPP world wide tour in the 50th Anniversary Year of Arguably the greatest album of all time. Makes zero sense at all. I can't remember what your point was again.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »

Wow, a year ago?

I was at work when it was released and tethered my iPhone to my laptop in an unused room to download as I couldn't  access the wifi there. Soon as it came down I put it on my iPod and listened whilst I worked.

I can still remember the feeling listening to that first track, I really thought I was going to hear something special, man, that track blew me away.

Alas, it was not to be as the album was all downhill from there, for me. It's not a classic, it's 'ok' not a travesty but hardly great.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 12:47:56 AM »

For some reason, it feels like an eternity ago for me, rather than the year seemingly going by fast.  I did listen to this heavily last summer and fall, particularly on hikes.

I'd agree with the person who said that they skip "Our Special Love" and "The Last Song".  Those are definitely my least favorite tracks by far.  The tracks I enjoy the most are "Whatever Happened", "Tell Me Why", "The Right Time", "Saturday Night" and my absolute favorite "I'm Feeling Sad".
KDS
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 05:18:47 AM »

I kinda wish more NPP songs made the setlist on the 2015 Tour, but I'm grateful that I got to hear Sail Away in concert a couple times.  I listened to that one, and a couple other assorted NPP in the car yesterday, and there's just something about it. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 05:49:47 AM »

Liked it then, like it now. I'm thrilled we got "just" a pop album, as the concepts thing grates on me sometimes. (I'd like TLOS even more if it were separated into songs, no linking tracks, dialogue, musical callbacks.) I do prefer the shorter version--still dislike the apparent favorite "I'm feeling sad" most of all--but generally think it's in the upper echelon of his solo albums. Masterpiece? Nah. But how many masterpieces can one guy make?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 07:06:04 AM »

In "The Last Song" that song of the Smurfs part still rolls my toenails up.

What section/part of "The Last Song" sounds like The Smurfs? I'm feeling blue just thinking about it...

The la-la-la's, I should imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbpzEHuO2g

It's actually this what it reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEYFgtxYxJ8&feature=player_detailpage#t=169

A bit longer, but without the images "The Last Song" conjures up in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JrhkCJ0emtY#t=172

Silly me, that song probably is unknown outside Germany and the Netherlands.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 07:22:56 AM »

The "promote the album for one tour and then drop most or all of the new songs from the setlist" phenomenon is not unique to Brian. McCartney is probably one of the most comparable examples to look at, someone who also has a huge catalog of 60s hits everybody knows and wants to hear (and McCartney actually has even more late 60s and 70s hits that people want and expect compared to Brian), and who also continues to make new albums and put tracks into the setlist. What McCartney ends up doing is relatively similar to Brian; throw in 3-4 songs from the new album on tour, and then by the following tour, or within a few years, the songs are mostly gone. It's not a perfect comparison, because McCartney's touring patterns and what constitutes one "tour" varies. So a "new album" tour might last two years, but with smaller blocks of shows interspersed throughout that time.

Also like Brian, McCartney rarely goes back to recent (e.g. two or three or four albums ago) but not "newest" material and puts it back into the setlist.

In both Brian and McCartney's case, they have a huge back catalog of mostly 60s material that's always going to take up most of their setlists. After both do the well-known stuff, maybe a few old "deep cuts", and new album stuff, there isn't a lot of room left in the setlist for "recent, but not newest" solo material.

I haven't looked at other similar contemporaries, but I would imagine for artists from, say the 60s or 70s, the more "hits" and "well-known" songs they have, the less likely they are to continue to add in a ton of latter-day album material (albums that spawned no "hits"; even if well-received by the fan base, and even in McCartney's case sometimes get Grammy nominations).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:10 AM »

Hey Jude,

Apt comparison with Paul.  The Stones kinda do the same thing.  Although, they will sometimes sneak in a number from Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge (although both of those albums are 20+ years old now). 

Although, in my personal opinion, I think Brian's work over the last decade has been much more consistent than McCartney's. 

Both Paul and Brian know that their past glories sell the majority of the seats. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »

In "The Last Song" that song of the Smurfs part still rolls my toenails up.

What section/part of "The Last Song" sounds like The Smurfs? I'm feeling blue just thinking about it...

The la-la-la's, I should imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqbpzEHuO2g

It's actually this what it reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEYFgtxYxJ8&feature=player_detailpage#t=169

A bit longer, but without the images "The Last Song" conjures up in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JrhkCJ0emtY#t=172

Silly me, that song probably is unknown outside Germany and the Netherlands.

LOL

Can't. Stop. Laughing. You're kinda sorta right. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but that is hilarious.

And now I will probably think of that weird Smurfs Youtube clip every time I hear The Last Song.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 09:50:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »

I think NPP is a fine record and i still play it to this day.. Quite surprised  i enjoyed all the young guest artists on it.. Saturday Night rocks.. !! Having Al Jardine on vocals and Blondie Chaplin was a great move also.. The BVS vocals are outstanding.. I have nothin bad to say about NPP..  I saw  some of the songs performed last summer at the greek theatre in Los Angeles.. Excellent show..!!  Rock on Brian..!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »

Hey Jude,

Apt comparison with Paul.  The Stones kinda do the same thing.  Although, they will sometimes sneak in a number from Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge (although both of those albums are 20+ years old now). 

Although, in my personal opinion, I think Brian's work over the last decade has been much more consistent than McCartney's. 

Both Paul and Brian know that their past glories sell the majority of the seats. 
I just wonder what motivates these guys to record new material when it is the old stuff people will always want to hear. It must be discouraging, after you've had a bunch of hits, to see your albums consistently sell in lesser numbers. And I would enjoy hearing Macca add "My Brave Face" or "Hope of Deliverance" to his show; or Brian doing "Melt Away" or "Orange Crate Art".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

They do grab back catalog stuff for the setlist once in awhile. Brian *did* add "Melt Away" to some shows in the early 2000s. Ironically, McCartney also has done "Hope of Deliverance" in the last few years.

Sometimes, it's some sort of reissue/repackaging of an old album that spurs them to do something from it. I'm pretty sure that's why Brian did "Let It Shine" on the 2000 tour, because Rhino had just reissued the '88 album.

As for why these guys make albums, it's probably a mixture of still wanting some sort of creative outlet, and record labels still offering some sort of up-front cash to do it.

They may sometimes do new stuff because it interests them more, and do tours because it pays the bills and gets them the adulation. In some cases, both recording and touring are ways to just stay keeping active.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »

They do grab back catalog stuff for the setlist once in awhile. Brian *did* add "Melt Away" to some shows in the early 2000s. Ironically, McCartney also has done "Hope of Deliverance" in the last few years.

Sometimes, it's some sort of reissue/repackaging of an old album that spurs them to do something from it. I'm pretty sure that's why Brian did "Let It Shine" on the 2000 tour, because Rhino had just reissued the '88 album.

As for why these guys make albums, it's probably a mixture of still wanting some sort of creative outlet, and record labels still offering some sort of up-front cash to do it.

They may sometimes do new stuff because it interests them more, and do tours because it pays the bills and gets them the adulation. In some cases, both recording and touring are ways to just stay keeping active.
It was great hearing "Let it Shine" in 2000. I kept hoping they would do more songs from that first solo album. It's easy to forget what a huge (YUGE?) deal that was in 1988 to finally have a solo album from Brian.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »

I haven't looked at other similar contemporaries, but I would imagine for artists from, say the 60s or 70s, the more "hits" and "well-known" songs they have, the less likely they are to continue to add in a ton of latter-day album material (albums that spawned no "hits"; even if well-received by the fan base, and even in McCartney's case sometimes get Grammy nominations).

Yep. For example, the Zombies released a new album last year -- and immediately dropped the songs from their 2011 album from their setlist. That had in turn knocked out the couple of songs from their 2004 album that were in the set. Ray Davies' current standard setlist has two new songs, two mid-late 70s Kinks tracks, and everything else is from 1972 or earlier.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »

And now I will probably think of that weird Smurfs Youtube clip every time I hear The Last Song.

Sorry for ruining the song for you... I'm pretty certain too that Brian never heard the song of the Smurfs "Das Lied der Schlümpfe".

I still can’t help but to think that Brian was still deeply bummed about how Mike abruptly quashed plans for a BB followup to TWGMTR, and that this could in part be to blame for some of the lack of inspiration that IMO affects parts of the album.

GAW AWN!  Angry You can't blame Mike for Brian making a lame solo album! When Brian's book comes out are you going to say it would have been a better book if Mike hadn't put Brian under pressure by also writing a book?

You're essentially saying Brian's work would be better with Mike on board?

If Mike had once again knuckled down to Brian's reign, the Wilson/Thomas production style would have been the same.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »

Yep. For example, the Zombies released a new album last year -- and immediately dropped the songs from their 2011 album from their setlist. That had in turn knocked out the couple of songs from their 2004 album that were in the set. Ray Davies' current standard setlist has two new songs, two mid-late 70s Kinks tracks, and everything else is from 1972 or earlier.
The Zombies didn't even have many hits. Interesting. I really enjoyed seeing Ray in concert touring behind "Other People's Lives". He did probably half the songs or more from the album that tour. It's been disappointing to me that both Ray and Dave have ignored a lot of great (and popular) songs from their 70's/80's catalog. It's like all these artists have been stuck in a time warp and aren't allowed to move forward. I guess at some point, everyone becomes Chuck Berry, just playing the old songs year after year for an audience that wants nothing more. And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that - I'm thankful I got to see guys like Chuck, Little Richard and Fats Domino when they were touring in the 80's and 90's, felt like I was witnessing history.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 12:25:03 AM »

When Brian's book comes out are you going to say it would have been a better book if Mike hadn't put Brian under pressure by also writing a book?

Given that Brian's book was initially announced a few days shy of three years ago, I somehow doubt it.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:39 AM »

It's comparable to Imagination as far as slickness and polish goes. But I think NPP might have the "better" (read: catchier and more commercial) songs. It deserved far better as far as its reception.

The Last Song stands up with anything Brian has done.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:34 AM »

Sorry for ruining the song for you... I'm pretty certain too that Brian never heard the song of the Smurfs "Das Lied der Schlümpfe".

I still can’t help but to think that Brian was still deeply bummed about how Mike abruptly quashed plans for a BB followup to TWGMTR, and that this could in part be to blame for some of the lack of inspiration that IMO affects parts of the album.

GAW AWN!  Angry You can't blame Mike for Brian making a lame solo album! When Brian's book comes out are you going to say it would have been a better book if Mike hadn't put Brian under pressure by also writing a book?

You're essentially saying Brian's work would be better with Mike on board?

If Mike had once again knuckled down to Brian's reign, the Wilson/Thomas production style would have been the same.

Firstly, I didn't say Brian's album was lame. I do think it has some flaws and lacks inspiration in some parts though. Certainly the same could be said for much of Brian's solo material, as well as TWGMTR. That said, I don't think one can just dismiss and completely negate the potential ramifications of Brian being legitimately bummed out about a lost musical opportunity, where his dreams of a BB project were crushed *yet again*.  It is shameful for this to have happened again to Brian as a result of Mike's ego. Truly.

It's pretty well known that it's not exactly easy anymore to get a fire under Brian's belly to get his truly best efforts written and on tape these days. Latter day Brian still tries, and has his moments for sure. But if he was genuinely inspired by being a BB again, and had great plans for a BB record, and that context truly meant something to him on a deep level, well I would say that yes, one can place some possible blame on Mike for Brian potentially not being able to create on quite the level as an indirect result of Mike's actions. Just as Brian shelved lots of amazing material in the past when a project fell through (and his emotions were affected), and then made a good but not great album in its place, so is it possible that this scenario happened again on this album.

Brian deserved better, and I think it is naïve to think he is invincible from his output being negatively affected by things he deeply looks forward to (and puts his heart into) falling through over and over and over again. I can personally empathize because I know how hard and inspiration/motivation-sucking it can be to make art when external factors get in the way of the original intention. It's not some wild idea.

I'm saying that I think it's highly probable that Brian's work could have been better if Mike was onboard, but in a manner where Mike could be utilized as Brian wishes. And perhaps throw some good suggestions Brian's way here and there. That worked pretty damn well during Pet Sounds. Not just because Mike's voice sounds great when used in a good way, but simply because Brian wanted Mike there and wanted to make a BB album; Brian's plan was for this album to be a BB album with Mike and Bruce included. He should get what he wants in this respect. Period.  I also think the guest stars would either not have been on the album, or they would have been lessened in quantity/ prominence - which to me would have been a good thing. I think they were there in part to compensate for what Brian may have felt he just lost.

Let's put it this way - would we have gotten From There To Back Again out of Brian, finished and released, if there had been no BB reunion at all? Maybe, but I am not convinced that is a certainty.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:46:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »

I listened to NPP recently  while out on a sunny day playing around with the garage door open.      Really hit the spot.    I wasn't sure last  year but I am now calling this one a keeper.    I like almost all of it.    Interestingly,  I first heard right time as the best cut but now not so much.   

A couple of people mentioned Ray Davies recent solo material.    I have not stopped listening to Other People's lives and Working Mans Cafe since they were released.     If any of you have not heard these two albums,  I think you are missing a real treat.    Best Kinks or Ray released in a long, long, time.   Rays story telling has never been better and the music is killer.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »

I listened to NPP recently  while out on a sunny day playing around with the garage door open.      Really hit the spot.    I wasn't sure last  year but I am now calling this one a keeper.    I like almost all of it.    Interestingly,  I first heard right time as the best cut but now not so much.   

A couple of people mentioned Ray Davies recent solo material.    I have not stopped listening to Other People's lives and Working Mans Cafe since they were released.     If any of you have not heard these two albums,  I think you are missing a real treat.    Best Kinks or Ray released in a long, long, time.   Rays story telling has never been better and the music is killer.
I loved Other People's Lives, still put that one on occasionally. Working Man's Café wasn't as good, but still better than most of the stuff coming out in this latter days. It took him so long after the Kinks breakup to put out an original album, though, and now it's been something like 8 years since the second one, I think sometimes a writer benefits from having a vehicle to write for. For 30 years, that vehicle was the Kinks (similar, IMHO, to how John Fogerty and John Sebastian dried up as writers after CCR and the Spoonful broke up). I know that Ray has being doing other things, writing books, musicals, etc, maybe that's where his energies are focused now. Not holding out any hope for one last Kinks album.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »

Happy Birthday, NPP. You are today what you were one year ago: an OK late career record that will primarily be of interest to the devoted, despite the presence of some name guest stars. Far better than brethren such as GIOMH but quite inferior to the likes of TLOS.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:26:09 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »

Inspired by this thread, I finally got around to re-listening to this album today.  The Deluxe Edition is still the way to go (why would anyone choose to hear less Brian Wilson music?).

My favorites are still: "Whatever Happened", "The Last Time", "I'm Feeling Sad", "Sail Away" and "Tell Me Why"...but "Guess You Had To Be There" has shot up to the #1 spot for me. The duets with the (then) new artists are usually the weakest links on the chain IMO, but this jaunty number gets better and better with each listen. I'm half-inclined to pick up a Kacey Musgraves CD to see if her own material stands up to this.

Brian gave an interview recently (linked somewhere on the board) where he emphatically claimed that "The Last Song" is not about the C50 tour expiring. I'm inclined to believe him, despite what Joe Thomas was saying at the time of the album's release.  That always struck me as a bit of pre-release hype from Joe. I've warmed to the "la la la's" but I really think it's weaker song than "One Kind Of Love" which would've been the perfect album closer.

I rated it highly then and still do now.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx