gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Merle Haggard  (Read 4684 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »

Merle Haggard died today on his 79 birthday from pneumonia he has been battling for months! The Beach Boys covered his song  Okie From Muskogee a bunch of times live in the early 70's and then again in the late 80's!  Sad

Okie From Muskogee by the Beach Boys in 1988 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ld3ETZweFE
Okie From Muskogee by the Beach Boys in 1971 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooyUiVRR1ss
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:26:53 AM by The_Beach » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »

Ugh. Last night I found out that one of my friends and favorite former co-workers fell off of a mountain and died.

Now this.

It's been a strange week.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »

Cry Cry

R.I.P. Merle! So sad

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »

Sad to hear this.  Merle is a country music legend. He sang with a voice and style that were all his own.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »

Ugh. Last night I found out that one of my friends and favorite former co-workers fell off of a mountain and died.

Now this.

It's been a strange week.

Very sorry to hear that, tj. The Grim Reaper certainly has his time cut out for him right now. R.I.P., Mr Haggard.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »

A couple of us are discussing The Highwaymen in another thread. While Merle wasn't a member of The Highwaymen, he knew all of those guys personally, worked with them many times, and shared that "outlaw" attitude. Now another one is gone... Merle had been in declining health the last couple of years, so he's no longer suffering. R.I.P. Merle, and thanks for the music.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »

Nice article in Rolling Stone today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/merle-haggard-country-legend-died-at-79-20160406

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

Man, it's just one after another this year. Pretty soon there won't be anyone left! At least not any of the good ones! RIP Merle.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »

If you're a fan and in the mood to listen to a Merle interview, check out this great radio interview from about 3 years ago by Eddie Stubbs of WSM650 fame... he had Merle in the studio for a couple hours and they went over a bunch of things, it really gives you a good idea of what kind of person he was and what was important to him.  It's very down to earth, Merle just showed up unannounced and sat down with Eddie for a few hours spinning records and talking.

http://wsmonline.com/archives/eddie-stubbs-show/  

Scroll down to "Interview with Merle Haggard".  

About 65 minutes in he tells this amazing story about being a kid sneaking into a Bob Wills show in Bakersfield which was very formidable in his love of music.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:43:38 PM by Ron » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »

I've never really been a huge fan of country music. But with the passing of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Now Merle Haggard, I can't help but to think that there is almost no "true" country artist left. Willie Nelson seems to me to be the only one left from the "golden age" of country.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »

There's still a few left, and there's still a few young guys and girls keeping the flame going.  Kacey Musgraves is a good example.   There's some really great guys from the 80's still in their prime too but you never hear about them anymore... John Conlee, Gene Watson, etc.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »

RIP

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/merle-haggard-rip.html

One of the true greats.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »

A couple of us are discussing The Highwaymen in another thread. While Merle wasn't a member of The Highwaymen, he knew all of those guys personally, worked with them many times, and shared that "outlaw" attitude. Now another one is gone... Merle had been in declining health the last couple of years, so he's no longer suffering. R.I.P. Merle, and thanks for the music.

Just a couple of years ago, Merle teamed up with Willie Nelson and Ray Price for "The last of the breed". Some very nice stuff they did on their double-CD. Since then, only Willie is left.
Have on Merle's great "Same train a different time" Jimmie Rodgers tribute album. He was born to do that album!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »

So, the wrath of 2016 continues. 

RIP Mr. Haggard.

A true country star, not like that frat boys with cowboy hats you have now. 
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

A nice item from NPR: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/06/473268549/5-things-you-should-know-about-merle-haggard.

I'm touched by what Dolly Parton says at the end.

RIP, Mr Haggard.  Say hello to Bob Wills for us.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 05:54:34 PM »

I've never really been a huge fan of country music. But with the passing of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Now Merle Haggard, I can't help but to think that there is almost no "true" country artist left. Willie Nelson seems to me to be the only one left from the "golden age" of country.
Yeah, there aren't many left. Not the Mount Rushmore types, anyway. I dread the day guys like Willie and Bob Dylan are gone.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »

1996 tribute show for Merle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSY_IUyqG5k

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »

Lots of tributes on the Grand Ol Opry this weekend from several people, including Suzy Bogguss doing "Silver Wings".  They also replayed an old interview with Bill Anderson where Merle claimed his favorite song he ever wrote was "Footlights". 

Here's a clip of George Jones claiming it's also HIS favorite song, and Merle singing it acoustic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGZQaYT3Ngc

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 04:37:01 AM »

Just a couple of years ago, Merle teamed up with Willie Nelson and Ray Price for "The last of the breed". Some very nice stuff they did on their double-CD. Since then, only Willie is left.
Have on Merle's great "Same train a different time" Jimmie Rodgers tribute album. He was born to do that album!

And, of course, there's the great Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard cover of Townes Van Zandt's "Pancho And Lefty".

Here's a later period Johnny Cash/Merle Haggard duet, "I'm Leavin' Now",  from Cash's 2000 album American III - Solitary Man: https://youtu.be/ZsoHV6mg7r8
KDS
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »

Well, this didn't take long

http://screencrush.com/merle-haggard-biopic/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »

Sure didn't. Thanks for the link!

I'm listening to this album and although I totally am not a fan of duets, this one is really good and working. I'm not saying "masterpiece", but really good

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 01:17:38 AM »

Merle Haggard's Last Song 'Kern River Blues' Set for Release
Out May 12th, the haunting track was recorded two months before his death

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/merle-haggards-last-song-kern-river-blues-set-for-release-20160511

Merle Haggard - Kern River Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVRIrBqI7A

- Jack Rieley
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 01:55:34 AM »

love it. thanx !

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx