gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:56:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs scary travel experiences, or mishaps on the road  (Read 9253 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »

In all the decades of touring that The BBs have done, I wonder how many times the band members, flying to their next show, have experienced severe airplane turbulence (to the point where they thought they were in real danger)? As much touring as Mike and Bruce do, I wonder how immune to things like turbulence they've become?

For that matter, I wonder how Brian has learned to cope with flying as much as he does. I don't know if he ever had a specific phobia of flying (or it was just too much travel/pressure/expectations all crammed together that led to the infamous airplane breakdown incident).

My question pertains to traveling by air, as well as by bus or any other means. How many times have the Boys been in danger due to weather, drunk drivers, etc? It seems with as much touring as they've done, they must have had some close calls at some point.

These days when traveling on the road, do they just zone out and listen to iPods?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:07:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

In all the decades of touring that The BBs have done, I wonder how many times the band members, flying to their next show, have experienced severe airplane turbulence (to the point where they thought they were in real danger)? As much touring as Mike and Bruce do, I wonder how immune to things like turbulence they've become?

For that matter, I wonder how Brian has learned to cope with flying as much as he does. I don't know if he ever had a specific phobia of flying (or it was just too much travel/pressure/expectations all crammed together that led to the infamous airplane breakdown incident).

My question pertains to traveling by air, as well as by bus or any other means. How many times have the Boys been in danger due to weather, drunk drivers, etc? It seems with as much touring as they've done, they must have had some close calls at some point.

These days when traveling on the road, do they just zone out and listen to iPods?

I bet they must have a few stories to tell!  The kind of thing that might get discussed over a beer with mates (if they ever do that kind of thing anymore!).

I remember Bruce saying in a UK interview early 90s that touring is easier now because they travel first class everywhere etc and have gym's in their hotels and stuff.

Although some of the C50 footage looked as though they were carrying bags and stuff through train stations and airports!  Like us 'normal' folk! Grin
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:03:15 PM »

My book with Jon Stebbins the beach boys in concert (backbeat books 2013) detailed some crazy experiences like that. Not asking you to buy it but maybe someone who has it handy can find a few. I know there was a crazy one in 1978 flying over the Rockies
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »

A bit of a weird topic, but I can throw in a quick story.  I saw the band on Labor Day weekend in 1983 & they came on stage very late.  Mike announced that their charter plane had trouble & had to return to (I think Allentown, PA) shortly after take off.  He said they had to borrow Willie Nelson's private jet in order to make the gig.  He mentioned they were pretty scared & were thankful to be alive.  Strange thing is, Mike said there wasn't enough room on the jet for Brian or Dennis, but I don't think either of them were touring with the band at the time anyway.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »

borrow Willie Nelson's private jet
lol, talk about lifestyles of the rich and famous

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:19:46 PM »

Guessing with all the spring/summer shows through the Midwest US over 50 years, they've dance dance dance"d" their way through a few tornado warnings.
Especially driving in a bus to the next gig.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:42 PM »

A bit of a weird topic, but I can throw in a quick story.  I saw the band on Labor Day weekend in 1983 & they came on stage very late.  Mike announced that their charter plane had trouble & had to return to (I think Allentown, PA) shortly after take off.  He said they had to borrow Willie Nelson's private jet in order to make the gig.  He mentioned they were pretty scared & were thankful to be alive.  Strange thing is, Mike said there wasn't enough room on the jet for Brian or Dennis, but I don't think either of them were touring with the band at the time anyway.

That would have been...

3 - State Fair, Allentown, PA [2 shows]
4 - Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel NJ

No Brian or Dennis at either of those two venues.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:21:40 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »

My book with Jon Stebbins the beach boys in concert (backbeat books 2013) detailed some crazy experiences like that. Not asking you to buy it but maybe someone who has it handy can find a few. I know there was a crazy one in 1978 flying over the Rockies

Hi Ian, I proudly own the book, love it, and have read it (I also helped contribute some info about a previously-unknown 1962 show to Jon!)... but I might have skimmed a few sections here and there and don't recall this topic too well. I'll have to go back and re-read it.

I suppose that most everyone must get a bit freaked out when flying from time to time, but when that happens to me, I try to think about how many times The Boys, for instance, have flown as passengers in an airplane, and how they must have just found a way to quell their nerves and not let flying get to them too much.

Thinking about how often they must fly, and how they just have to find a way to deal with travel, often makes my nerves get better - even if I, unlike them, don't have a BB paycheck waiting for me at my destination!

I imagine the band members must have some travel secrets, Rick Steves-style.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:27:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:46 PM »

I once heard Ed Carter tell a story about being in a plane in a European country (forget which one) when a highjacking was in progress at the airport. Needless to say, the BBs were kept grounded in their plane until the all-clear.

I do know that Carl loved flying, he even subscribed to Aviation Weekly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:59:20 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »

Hi Ian , I also have your excellent book but haven't read it all the way through.  I've bought quite a few Beach Boys books over the last few years and haven't read any of them front to back!  I used to in my younger years but now I don't seem to have as much time.  Sad
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 02:04:09 AM »

Brian's adaptation to flying?  It was those fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies in FC on American.  I think anyone could relate to that.   Wink
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »

Here is the Rockies Smiley incident in summary, detailed in Ian and Jon's book, p 237:
Tuesday, July 18, 1978: Stampede Corral, Calgary, AB, Canadia, with Zingo

Phil Shenale recalled Dennis trapped Carl in Carl's hotel room by jamming in a whole load of furniture from other rooms (while Carl was catching zzzzz's), making the entourage miss the Commercial flight - they leased 8 to 10 4 seater (little) planes to fly from Seattle to Calgary, an act of madness. 

Bobby Figueroa added "they" were having trouble breathing in his plane and pinged the pilot about it - the pilot said the oxygen gauge reads full, then he tapped the gauge and it went down to EMPTY.  Somehow they all survived, the end.

Perhaps the lyrics of Loop de Loop thinly veil/make light of a tale of another near miss ("We'll toss and tumble and sail her right in to the sun").

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »

That would have been...

Yes, the show I saw was in Holmdel, NJ.  And according to Ian & Jon's book, Brian & Dennis stopped touring a few weeks before this show.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »

Perhaps the lyrics of Loop de Loop thinly veil/make light of a tale of another near miss ("We'll toss and tumble and sail her right in to the sun").

Our plane's feeling the warmth of the sun, we're all gonna die...

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »

That would have been...

Yes, the show I saw was in Holmdel, NJ.  And according to Ian & Jon's book, Brian & Dennis stopped touring a few weeks before this show.
Wait, the drive from Allentown to Holmdel is like an hour and a half.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »

Speaking of The BBs' experiences on the road, I wonder how many times the BBs have performed songs without their feet on the ground, as in while in a moving vehicle of some sort? I don't just mean singing to themselves, but an actual performance of some sort for an audience.

Would BB cruise ship gigs + Brian's taxi cab performance be the only examples, or are there more?

I would think that at some point over the decades, there must have been some impromptu live BB performances in the sky, maybe with an instrument or two, while flying to a show in an airplane. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:14:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »

That would have been...

Wait, the drive from Allentown to Holmdel is like an hour and a half.

Something like that.  And I'm guessing the drive from where ever the jet landed to Holmdel was at least a half hour.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »

Bruce recently related that they don't fly very often because airfares have become too expensive.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

Bruce recently related that they don't fly very often because airfares have become too expensive.

Air travel is cheaper than ever really. But I don't know what standards Bruce will be expecting. High-end service is considered premium now and more expensive than ever.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »

Air travel is cheaper than ever really. But I don't know what standards Bruce will be expecting. High-end service is considered premium now and more expensive than ever.

I wonder if M&B have ever flown Ryanair.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »

Jeez M&B are cheap!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

I saw the band on Labor Day weekend in 1983 & they came on stage very late.  Mike announced that their charter plane had trouble & had to return to (I think Allentown, PA) shortly after take off.  He said they had to borrow Willie Nelson's private jet in order to make the gig.

I've heard that one too, and IIRC it was an engine that caught on fire. It may have been related in one of Billy Hinsche's films, now that I think about it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:26:08 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »

Of course having never been on tour I don't know all the actual pros and cons, but I would think I would prefer a comfy bus with a sleeping space where I can keep all my stuff and the bus drops me and picks me up at the venue to packing, ride to airport, get through the airport, get on plane, sit there, get off the plane, ride to hotel, unpack, ride to venue, ride to hotel, ride to airport, etc.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »

Of course having never been on tour I don't know all the actual pros and cons, but I would think I would prefer a comfy bus with a sleeping space where I can keep all my stuff and the bus drops me and picks me up at the venue to packing, ride to airport, get through the airport, get on plane, sit there, get off the plane, ride to hotel, unpack, ride to venue, ride to hotel, ride to airport, etc.

You might not wanna take the bus to Europe.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »

You might not wanna take the bus to Europe.

True. Just hire one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx