-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Opening Day for Baseball
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Opening Day for Baseball  (Read 14645 times)
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

Let's Go Tigers!!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »

Captain,

Are you from the Twin Cities? 

Yep -- a Minneapolis resident since fall of '96 (excluding one year in a suburb right at the northern point where the two major cities touch that's so tiny most Twin Citians have never heard of it), and a lifelong Minnesotan (minus a couple years at the U of Northern Iowa, so I'm also a Panther).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »

You are Mr. Minnesota!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »

None of us want to see me walking across a stage--well oiled--in a speedo. None of us. Leave that to our former governors or whatever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »

Yeesh on that one! Jesse "the body" Ventura aka governor of Minnesota! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 05:16:16 AM »

Captain,

Are you from the Twin Cities? 

Yep -- a Minneapolis resident since fall of '96 (excluding one year in a suburb right at the northern point where the two major cities touch that's so tiny most Twin Citians have never heard of it), and a lifelong Minnesotan (minus a couple years at the U of Northern Iowa, so I'm also a Panther).

OK, in that case, I'll allow your bashing of my beloved Baltimore Orioles. 

Kirby Puckett was one of my favorite non-Orioles players growing up. 

KDS
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 05:17:20 AM »

Let's Go Tigers!!!

Mr. Verlander, as in Justin Verlander??

How's your wifey? 

Shocked
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »

Yankees home opener vs. Astros got postponed.  Will try again tomorrow @1:05pm.  Fat chance.  In Ulster (about 90 miles north of New York City) it started snowing again just after midnight.  It's still snowing, and about to become our biggest snow storm of the year, about 4 inches so far.  It's bad down in the City as well, a rain/snow mix.  It's going to be in 30's all week.  They hope it gets to 39 degrees by game-time on the 5th.  That's still pretty cold for baseball.

Baseball in the snow and rain is not fun like football in the snow and rain.

The Orioles were supposed to start at 3:05 Eastern Time.  The first pitch is being delayed.  It's supposed to rain in Baltimore for the next 4-5 hours. 

Tomorrow will be clear, but cold.  Ah, April baseball. 
the ice field.  Yankees lose 5th consecutive opening day game...  the temp was a chilly 36 degrees.  But.  48,000 fans showed up!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »

Let's Go Tigers!!!

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

Reading the ongoing thread dealing with people with alleged "secret knowledge" of things reminded me of a controversial event from 1997.

In August 1997 I traveled to Baltimore to see 3 Orioles games - one with the A's, and 2 with the Mariners. The A's game was strange - arriving in town I heard on local radio that the Public Address Announcer for the Orioles had passed away. I'm blocking on his name, but in going to previous games the year before he'd always end an announcement with "THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"  That night there were no announcements at all, in tribute to him.

The next night was where the "controversy' took place. The place was packed, fans around me had traveled from Boston, New Jersey and other places to see this important matchup. Randy Johnson was to be the starting pitcher for the Mariners. The problem that came up was with the lighting.  Half the lights were out for some reason and couldn't be fixed. We all waited impatiently, then finally got the word that the game would be postponed, with a split doubleheader the next day.

Oh, the rumor mill started, and kept on for years. Cal Ripken was still piling up games with the consecutive games streak. something must have happened where he couldn't be at the game, and that's why the Orioles manipulated the lighting.  One story had Cal getting hurt after beating his wife, Kelly.  The other story was that Kelly beat Cal up.

Well, I knew that was so much hogwash.  How? I was at the game, and Cal was there. He was on the field before the scheduled start time, taking pictures with representatives of the milk industry (he was a paid spokesperson for them). Cal looked healthy to me. But for years afterward I would have to post on boards debunking that crazy rumor that would not go away.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

Let's Go Tigers!!!

How's your wifey? 

Shocked

You mean, Miss Upton? She's hot. I don't know if you've noticed.  Evil
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »

Yankees home opener vs. Astros got postponed.  Will try again tomorrow @1:05pm.  Fat chance.  In Ulster (about 90 miles north of New York City) it started snowing again just after midnight.  It's still snowing, and about to become our biggest snow storm of the year, about 4 inches so far.  It's bad down in the City as well, a rain/snow mix.  It's going to be in 30's all week.  They hope it gets to 39 degrees by game-time on the 5th.  That's still pretty cold for baseball.

Baseball in the snow and rain is not fun like football in the snow and rain.

The Orioles were supposed to start at 3:05 Eastern Time.  The first pitch is being delayed.  It's supposed to rain in Baltimore for the next 4-5 hours. 

Tomorrow will be clear, but cold.  Ah, April baseball. 

Yanks are coming to Detroit for the Tigers opener on Friday. I believe it's supposed to warm up to 45 degrees!
the ice field.  Yankees lose 5th consecutive opening day game...  the temp was a chilly 36 degrees.  But.  48,000 fans showed up!
KDS
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »

Reading the ongoing thread dealing with people with alleged "secret knowledge" of things reminded me of a controversial event from 1997.

In August 1997 I traveled to Baltimore to see 3 Orioles games - one with the A's, and 2 with the Mariners. The A's game was strange - arriving in town I heard on local radio that the Public Address Announcer for the Orioles had passed away. I'm blocking on his name, but in going to previous games the year before he'd always end an announcement with "THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"  That night there were no announcements at all, in tribute to him.

The next night was where the "controversy' took place. The place was packed, fans around me had traveled from Boston, New Jersey and other places to see this important matchup. Randy Johnson was to be the starting pitcher for the Mariners. The problem that came up was with the lighting.  Half the lights were out for some reason and couldn't be fixed. We all waited impatiently, then finally got the word that the game would be postponed, with a split doubleheader the next day.

Oh, the rumor mill started, and kept on for years. Cal Ripken was still piling up games with the consecutive games streak. something must have happened where he couldn't be at the game, and that's why the Orioles manipulated the lighting.  One story had Cal getting hurt after beating his wife, Kelly.  The other story was that Kelly beat Cal up.

Well, I knew that was so much hogwash.  How? I was at the game, and Cal was there. He was on the field before the scheduled start time, taking pictures with representatives of the milk industry (he was a paid spokesperson for them). Cal looked healthy to me. But for years afterward I would have to post on boards debunking that crazy rumor that would not go away.

I was at the silent game in 1997.  Rex Barney was the PA announcer's name.  He was the voice of Memorial Stadium / Camden Yards for over 20 years when he passed.  He also briefly pitched for the Brooklyn Dodgers and threw a no-hitter. 

He's written two books - an autobiography called Thank Youuu, and one of Orioles Memories called.......Orioles Memories.  Really nice guy. 

That story about that Cal Ripken game still pops up now and again.  There's different variations of the urban legend, one involving an affair Kelly had with Kevin Costner.  All BS obviously. 
KDS
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »

Let's Go Tigers!!!

How's your wifey? 

Shocked

You mean, Miss Upton? She's hot. I don't know if you've noticed.  Evil

I've noticed.  Nice work. 
KDS
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 05:22:52 AM »

Sorry Capt,

I think my Orioles got some revenge for when your Twins came to Camden Yards last August and ruined our season with a four game sweep. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 05:25:08 PM »

It's all come down to this, KDS. Are you watching???
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »

Go Cubs Go! Cool

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 08:31:27 AM »

see you in Cleveland

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 10:04:49 AM »

Yeah  Evil

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »

I hope for a great 7 game series cuz whoever wins a drought will be over for either team....the cavs pushed back their ring/banner ceremony time a half hour so people wont miss a moment of the world series and the opener

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »

Looking forward to this....going for the Cubs all the way!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:48 PM »

Check this ticket prices are setting new highs
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/23/news/companies/cubs-indians-world-series-ticket-prices/index.html

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »

game 3

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »

Tribe 3-1, i know the cubs arent gonna give up are they?

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2016, 10:07:16 PM »

Nah, WS champions! Cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: