-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Opening Day for Baseball
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Opening Day for Baseball  (Read 14643 times)
KDS
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »

Any baseball fans on here?

The regular season started with three games yesterday, but most teams will have their Opening Days today and tomorrow.

My Baltimore Orioles are scheduled to opening today, although the forecast is iffy. 

Opening Day is a sure sign that Spring is here, and Summer's not too far behind. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »

Big baseball fan here and with my team being the Blue Jays, I have been even more invested the last couple of years. We played (and won!) yesterday. Looks like I have a division rival fan above!  Grin
KDS
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:15:05 AM »

Big baseball fan here and with my team being the Blue Jays, I have been even more invested the last couple of years. We played (and won!) yesterday. Looks like I have a division rival fan above!  Grin

Yes, you do. 

I've never forgiven Cito Gaston for not letting Mike Mussina pitch in the 1993 All-Star Game in Baltimore. 

As much as I love my Orioles, unfortunately, I think our starting pitching will be a major weakness, so you guys are likely to repeat as AL East Champs. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »

Mussina was a great pitcher. I remember Gaston played a very Jays-heavy lineup in the All-Star game one of those years, probably that one. By the way, Camden is my favourite park that I've been to. It was the first back-to-basics fields that I had seen after a barrage of tech-heavy domed stadiums (of which I was overly familiar in Toronto).

I hope you're right about Toronto finishing first. It seems to be what a lot of people are saying. That being said, we lost a lot with Price going. He brought the team from being a .500 level team to a championship team in only a few months. He could do something similar with the Red Sox. To me, pitching really does make the difference.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

Went out yesterday for lunch and the Pirates/Cardinals game was on the TV. Thought, baseball, already? How time flies.

Interesting - there was big band, jazzy music playing in the background at the restaurant/bar.. One of the songs was a version of Bobby Darin's 'Beyond the Sea.' There was an extended instrumental middle section, and it was fascinating how the music synced with the baseball action. Got so much into this that I forgot about the person I was eating lunch with for a bit LOL.

Can imagine that cool jazz can go well with baseball, say, Joe Morello's drum solo during the DBQs 'Take Five,'

Anyway, guess will hope for the best from the 2 teams I've mainly cheered for over the years - the Orioles and the Pirates.

Play Ball!  :-)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »

Mussina was a great pitcher. I remember Gaston played a very Jays-heavy lineup in the All-Star game one of those years, probably that one. By the way, Camden is my favourite park that I've been to. It was the first back-to-basics fields that I had seen after a barrage of tech-heavy domed stadiums (of which I was overly familiar in Toronto).

I hope you're right about Toronto finishing first. It seems to be what a lot of people are saying. That being said, we lost a lot with Price going. He brought the team from being a .500 level team to a championship team in only a few months. He could do something similar with the Red Sox. To me, pitching really does make the difference.

Yes, there were seven Blue Jays in that ASG in 1993.  

If the Orioles get any starting pitching at all, we should be able to win at least 90 games, but that's a big question mark.  I was hoping the Orioles were going to make a play for Price, but we spent most of our money on hitting (Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo, Pedro Alvarez, Matt Wieters).  We'll have to win a lot of 9-7 type games.  
KDS
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »

NOLA BB Fan,

Another Orioles fan!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

Let's go Cubs and Orioles!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »

Let's go Cubs and Orioles!

You're welcome for Jake Arrieta by the way. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »

Woohoo! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »

Yankees home opener vs. Astros got postponed.  Will try again tomorrow @1:05pm.  Fat chance.  In Ulster (about 90 miles north of New York City) it started snowing again just after midnight.  It's still snowing, and about to become our biggest snow storm of the year, about 4 inches so far.  It's bad down in the City as well, a rain/snow mix.  It's going to be in 30's all week.  They hope it gets to 39 degrees by game-time on the 5th.  That's still pretty cold for baseball.

Baseball in the snow and rain is not fun like football in the snow and rain.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KDS
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »

Yankees home opener vs. Astros got postponed.  Will try again tomorrow @1:05pm.  Fat chance.  In Ulster (about 90 miles north of New York City) it started snowing again just after midnight.  It's still snowing, and about to become our biggest snow storm of the year, about 4 inches so far.  It's bad down in the City as well, a rain/snow mix.  It's going to be in 30's all week.  They hope it gets to 39 degrees by game-time on the 5th.  That's still pretty cold for baseball.

Baseball in the snow and rain is not fun like football in the snow and rain.

The Orioles were supposed to start at 3:05 Eastern Time.  The first pitch is being delayed.  It's supposed to rain in Baltimore for the next 4-5 hours. 

Tomorrow will be clear, but cold.  Ah, April baseball. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »

KDS' party time is on rain delay....

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

I guess this is when having a dome comes in handy. It may not be attractive but there's never a cancelled game in Toronto.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »

I guess this is when having a dome comes in handy. It may not be attractive but there's never a cancelled game in Toronto.

I'll take the chance of a rain delay or postponement over playing in a dome any day. 

I'm not even a fan of the modern day retractable domes (ie. Houston, Milwaukee, Arizona). 

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »

CSM, you ever go to Toronto's first outdoor stadium?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »

Or Montreal's stadium?

KDS
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »

Or Montreal's stadium?

I keep hearing that if the local government doesn't spring for a new stadium, the Rays could be going to Montreal. 

I think it's unlikely, but you never know. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »

I went to the Exhibition Stadium for a ballgame in Toronto when I was very, very young. I don't have much of a memory of it. I did see The Beach Boys there as a kid too.

I have seen Olympic Stadium in Montreal from the outside but unfortunately I never saw a game there. I think that if a team ever did return to Montreal, they would have a new park.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »

Yeah Montreal was ruined by the current stadium being a boondoggle. The Rays should have gotten a new stadium instead of the Marlins and that shyster Jeffery Loria.

KDS
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »

Yeah Montreal was ruined by the current stadium being a boondoggle. The Rays should have gotten a new stadium instead of the Marlins and that shyster Jeffery Loria.

The Expos were also the biggest casualty of the 1994 strike. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »

They sure were. '94 was shaping up to be a good year for baseball in Canada. Who knows what might have ended up happening but a Jays vs. Expos World Series would have been amazing up here. Though I'm sure all the ad men in the States would have lost their minds.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »

Reds fan here.  We're expecting the team to be awful, but opening day is a huge event here.  Still looking forward to baseball season.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »

I'm not a baseball fan at all, but KDS, I hope the Orioles get their asses kicked today. (If the rain stops.) I've read expectations are climbing for the Twins. While I can't confirm or deny that (not knowing more than a couple of players on the whole team, much less anyone on any other teams), I hope they get a nice win to kick things off.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 05:13:54 AM »

They sure were. '94 was shaping up to be a good year for baseball in Canada. Who knows what might have ended up happening but a Jays vs. Expos World Series would have been amazing up here. Though I'm sure all the ad men in the States would have lost their minds.

That was probably unlikely.  The Blue Jays team from 1994 was suffering from a bit of a World Series hangover, as both the Yankees and the Orioles were above them in the standings. 

Joe Torre may have benefited more than anyone from the strike.  If the Yankees did make the WS in 1994, Buck Showalter might have lasted longer there.

Captain,

Are you from the Twin Cities? 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: