gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:46:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about Funky Pretty  (Read 18534 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »

Brian, and it's "Funky come back".

OK, now we have clear proof, Andrew, that you simply lack the ability to hear the obvious "G" sounds in this song. Despite that fact that roughly 90% percent of the posters in this thread hear the "G" in "Greece-ee-oss-ee," you have stubbornly maintained that there is no such sound. And now you claim, at the end of Funky Pretty, that Brian is singing "Funky Come Back," when the fact of the matter is that he is clearly singing "Gunky come back!"  Grin

The King of Greasy Gunky....FP as dishwashing liquid commercial.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 12:58:24 PM »

Can we just all agree that this section of lyrics is incredibly awful and move on?

Agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2016, 03:43:20 AM »

Correctamundo.

On the topic of stuff misheard: for years, I thought the bvs on the second chorus of "Trader" was "And they believed him": sounded like it, and it fit the rest of the lyric. Then, when scheduled to do a live rendition at a BB fan gathering and having Jack's email addy, I decided to double check. Back came the answer:

"They don't believe our deity".

Ah. And um.  Shocked

My point: what you think you're hearing isn't necessarily what you actually hearing.

My second point: listened to "FP" again. There's no "g". None at all. Nada. Zilch. Diddly with a light frosting of squat.  Grin

Oh man, this brings back memories of learning that for LONG PROMISED ROAD.  John Perry took great delight in reminding us to sing "they don't believe our deity" at every opportunity.  I can't recall who put us hip to the right words.

**koff**

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2016, 04:25:11 AM »

Who is the primary culprit for these words? Mike Love or Jack Rieley? Brian Wilson? All three?
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »

Who is the primary culprit for these words? Mike Love or Jack Rieley? Brian Wilson? All three?
Sounds Mikey to me. Great lyrics.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »

Given his previous track record, gotta be Jack.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »

I'm sure I'm not the only person who, spurred by this discussion, went back and looked in detail at the lyrics to this song with fresh eyes.

.....Wirestone is right. Good lord.

Maybe they *should* switch over to "Leaving this Town" on the current BW tour.....  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »

I find Leaving This Town plods. It would seriously slow any concert. And if it meant not hearing Wild Honey by Blondie, I would be most upset. Just my opinion.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »

I would say the studio version of "Funky Pretty" kind of plods too. The live version does have more energy.

I wouldn't say "Leaving this Town" plods so much as simply is a slower mid-tempo ballad type of song. Musically, I find "Leaving this Town" more interesting than "Funky Pretty." More interesting chord changes, and better group harmonies, etc. A good marriage of Blondie's voice/sound and the BBs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »

What we really need is a version of FP channeled through LOVE YOU--the missing link between Brian's "funky" writing style in '71-'72 and the up-tempo "grea-selassie" (as in the Ethiopain emperor, with or without clothes--your choice!) that "gr(e)aces" so many of LOVE YOU's up-tempo tracks.

They could let Al sing the lead, thereby ensuring that in concert it was never, EVER sung with the "correct" lyrics...  Cool Guy

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »

I find Leaving This Town plods. It would seriously slow any concert.

Not if they played it as an encore. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »

What is the meaning of the lyrics at all ? I never really got it (Sorry, I´m German, that´s not my mother language).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »

What is the meaning of the lyrics at all ? I never really got it (Sorry, I´m German, that´s not my mother language).
In the whole song or only that section?
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2016, 02:06:58 AM »

In the whole song, but especially that section.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:26 AM »

In the whole song, but especially that section.
He's in love with an awesome Pisces woman who's ethereal and into astrology. She's away but she'll be back when the 'aspects' (the astrological signs) indicate that 'back' is where she should be. 'That' section is mainly nonsense listing places that she goes at which she's the most awesome person.
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »

Ok, thanks.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2016, 04:45:37 PM »

I've never understood the fascination some have with this tune. It's a throwaway with grimace inducing lyrics. Everything "Marcella" was, "Funky Pretty" is not. HOLLAND's only blemish.

The live version is better.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »

I've never understood the fascination some have with this tune. It's a throwaway with grimace inducing lyrics. Everything "Marcella" was, "Funky Pretty" is not. HOLLAND's only blemish.

Bad lyrics? Sure. Better live? Maybe. Throwaway?! Hell no!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 05:27:17 AM »

I'm going to agree with you on this one.  The song has grown on me a bit, but I think it's still the weakest track on Holland by far. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

Holland might be said to have its imperfections but in my opinion "FP" isn't one of them. The coda is one of the album's crowning glories! If only more albums ended in such fine style...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:19:21 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »

Holland might be said to have its imperfections but in my opinion "FP" isn't one of them. The coda is one of the album's crowing glories! If only more albums ended in such fine style...

Agreed. Leaving This Town is my least favourite track on this - in fact it's my least favourite BB Chaplin/Fataar number. I still like it, however.
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »

Leaving this town has very clever piano harmonies, the bass is very Brian-like, the song structure is interesting and I love the Moog solo.

Funky Pretty is also very clever (I´m musician myself), the ascending bass line is very fine and all the vocal-functions are really good. And again the Moog fits in perfectly. The song has - like Leaving this town (and before "Here she comes" and "Hold on dear brother") very much soul > thanks to Ricky and Blondie.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:52:22 AM by Manfred » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 03:13:12 AM »

Leaving this town has very clever piano harmonies, the bass is very Brian-like, the song structure is interesting and I love the Moog solo.

Funky Pretty is also very clever (I´m musician myself), the ascending bass line is very fine and all the vocal-functions are really good. And again the Moog fits in perfectly. The song has - like Leaving this town (and before "Here she comes" and "Hold on dear brother") very much soul > thanks to Ricky and Blondie.

"Leaving" has the (almost) unique distinction in Beach Boy Land of a central instrumental workout over a repeating pattern ("Feels Flows" is the other.)

And does any other BB song end the way "Funky Pretty" does? It really builds up a head of steam, not least thanks to Mr Chaplin.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:19:06 AM by john k » Logged

KDS
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 05:21:30 AM »

Songs like Leaving This Town, Steamboat, and The Trader made me really sad that they didn't keep this version of the group together longer. 

Going from stuff like that to 15 Big Ones.  Wow. 
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 06:33:18 AM »

My favorite part of the live Funky Pretty are the drums.

I prefer the live versions of the Ricky/Blondie era songs. There is a sense of urgency and additional soul that the studio versions lack.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx