gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:24:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about Funky Pretty  (Read 18596 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

While I was looking through the "Let's Go Away..." thread, I was inspired to make this one. I considered posting my question in that thread, but I didn't want to "hijack" it. My question is about a specific lyric. Everybody I have ever talked to, and every lyric website, states that the lyric is "The theme of U Say Asee", a mangled pronunciation of "USA". In all the years that I've been listening to the song, I have never heard "U Say Asse". Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece. I've also heard it this way in every single live version of this song as performed by The Beach Boys. On the "In Concert" album, and on every bootleg I've heard. I've always heard a very distinct "G" sound. Does anybody else here hear it the way I do? Has anybody here heard the isolated vocal track, to confirm the exact specific lyric? This has been driving me crazy for years now.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:54:57 AM »

Probably just from the background vocals going "funky pretty, pretty funky" at the same time as Carl's lead.
Bill Ed
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:13:25 AM »

Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece.

That's what I've always heard as well. So there are at least two of us. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:15:38 AM »

Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece.

Thank you!  Grin I especially hear it on the "In Concert" album.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »

While I was looking through the "Let's Go Away..." thread, I was inspired to make this one. I considered posting my question in that thread, but I didn't want to "hijack" it. My question is about a specific lyric. Everybody I have ever talked to, and every lyric website, states that the lyric is "The theme of U Say Asee", a mangled pronunciation of "USA". In all the years that I've been listening to the song, I have never heard "U Say Asse". Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece. I've also heard it this way in every single live version of this song as performed by The Beach Boys. On the "In Concert" album, and on every bootleg I've heard. I've always heard a very distinct "G" sound. Does anybody else here hear it the way I do? Has anybody here heard the isolated vocal track, to confirm the exact specific lyric? This has been driving me crazy for years now.

Have you consulted the official lyric sheet included with the Holland album?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:34:57 AM »

Make it three!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »

Make it three!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:34:01 AM »

Could it be Greasy Icee? As in, greasy Beach Boy hands at a burger stand (greasy from haven eaten a burger) holding an Icee frozen drink?  Grin
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »

LOL

Could it be Greasy Icee? As in, greasy Beach Boy hands at a burger stand (greasy from haven eaten a burger) holding an Icee frozen drink?  Grin
I thought it was "Greasy Ass-y"  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »

Have you consulted the official lyric sheet included with the Holland album?
I don't have it on vinyl, so no.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »

Lyrics are in the 1990 and 2000 reissues. I never heard it as anything but "Usay Ass Eee"... but it did take me about as long to work out that meant USA as it did to twig the cover of the album was printed upside down. That is, about five years...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »

Going all the way back to when I first bought the album in Jan 1973 (which still has the shrink wrap on it with a $3.95 price tag from The Wherehouse) ($21.09 in today's dollars) I have always heard it as "Gree See Ah See".

When looking at the lyric sheet I've always considered the "U Say Asee" to be some type of bizarre misprint, and until reading this thread today had never considered that it could stand for "USA".

Anyway, there is absolutely no way Carl is singing "U Say Asee". He's singing, without a doubt, "Gree See Ah See". (And I'm sure Stamos would agree.)

While "U Say Ah See" may have been part of the original lyrics (from Mike, and/or Jack), it's easy to see why Carl would have changed it to a reference to Greece, given that two cities in the US, "Los Angees" and "Manhattohsee," already take up one quarter of the places mentioned, making a reference to Greece a much more logical lyrical choice than an additional reference to the US.

So how are BW and band singing it in concert today? Hopefully they're going with Carl's "Gree See Ah See" and not the published lyric, which was never sung on the original recording.

Edit: Thanks Ognir for starting this thread, and I agree with your comments below:
... Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece. I've also heard it this way in every single live version of this song as performed by The Beach Boys. On the "In Concert" album, and on every bootleg I've heard. I've always heard a very distinct "G" sound. ...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:40:24 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:57 AM »

Going all the way back to when I first bought the album in Jan 1973 (which still has the shrink wrap on it with a $3.95 price tag from The Wherehouse) ($21.09 in today's dollars) I have always heard it as "Gree See Ah See".

When looking at the lyric sheet I've always considered the "U Say Asee" to be some type of bizarre misprint, and until reading this thread today had never considered that it could stand for "USA".

Anyway, there is absolutely no way Carl is singing "U Say Asee". He's singing, without a doubt, "Gree See Ah See". (And I'm sure Stamos would agree.)

While "U Say Ah See" may have been part of the original lyrics (from Mike, and/or Jack), it's easy to see why Carl would have changed it to a reference to Greece, given that two cities in the US, "Los Angees" and "Manhattohsee," already take up one quarter of the places mentioned, making a reference to Greece a much more logical lyrical choice than an additional reference to the US.

So how are BW and band singing it in concert today? Hopefully they're going with Carl's "Gree See Ah See" and not the published lyric, which was never sung on the original recording.

Edit: Thanks Ognir for starting this thread, and I agree with your comments below:
... Any and every time I've listened to the song I've heard it as "Greasy Ah Say", as in a reference to Greece. I've also heard it this way in every single live version of this song as performed by The Beach Boys. On the "In Concert" album, and on every bootleg I've heard. I've always heard a very distinct "G" sound. ...

Thanks for your thoughts on this. For as long as I can remember hearing the song, I always heard a "g" in there. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.  Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 05:33:40 AM »

I've noticed that more than one live version leaves out this bit...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 05:46:58 AM »

I've never heard a version without that part.

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 06:43:22 AM »

but it did take me about as long to work out that meant USA as it did to twig the cover of the album was printed upside down. That is, about five years...

Don't worry your not the only one, took me a very long time until I realised that too
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »

I find it very hard to hear the lyrics of the middle eight of "Funky Pretty" as anything other than toe-curlingly embarrassing, one of my least favourite lyrical moments in the entire catalogue.  Cracking tune, mind.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »

I find it very hard to hear the lyrics of the middle eight of "Funky Pretty" as anything other than toe-curlingly embarrassing, one of my least favourite lyrical moments in the entire catalogue.  Cracking tune, mind.
Yeah it's pretty funky dumb.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »

+1. Love the song otherwise though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »

Anyway, there is absolutely no way Carl is singing "U Say Asee". He's singing, without a doubt, "Gree See Ah See".

A most provocative statement, the more so because it's entirely erroneous.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »

Has anybody heard the isolated vocal?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »

No need. It's the bvs causing a non-existent audio artefact. If you tweak it with a graphic, you'll clearly hear Carl sing U, not G.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »

I've never heard a version without that part.

As you were. I must have missed it the first time round----not paying attention as usual.Thud

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »

No need. It's the bvs causing a non-existent audio artefact. If you tweak it with a graphic, you'll clearly hear Carl sing U, not G.
I have to agree. Listen with headphones on.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »

I have to agree. Listen with headphones on.
I have. I still hear a "g" sound. More so on live versions of the song.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx