gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:05:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Considering A Performing Residency In Las Vegas?  (Read 7062 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I'm going to have gold lamé nightmares tonight, and it's all your fault!  You are too cruel.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »

Vegas is M&B heaven!

....or hell! Evil

http://www.amazon.com/Brian-Wilson-Friends-Venetian-Theatre/dp/B017OIUPOG/ref=sr_1_9?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1459723907&sr=1-9&keywords=brian+wilson

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Las-Vegas-Al-Jardine/dp/B00006IT5F/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1459723950&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=al+jardine
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:54:32 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:11 PM »

Also considering Nevada is mostly desert, having The Beach Boys playing there for an extended period doesn't seem appropriate.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 02:37:23 AM »

Also considering Nevada is mostly desert, having The Beach Boys playing there for an extended period doesn't seem appropriate.

Oh I don't know----it's all sand at the end of the day. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »

A lot of legacy artists are going the Vegas residency route. 

Since it's such a big tourist destination, you can save a ton of money on touring, and have fans come to you. 

Since it's not far from LA, I think this could be a great future option for Brian and his band or Mike and his band.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »

Howie Edelson in some of his commentaries pitched the idea back in 2012 or 2013 that C50 should have and could have moved to a Las Vegas residency.

What's funny is that a residency (meaning a full residency, not a two-week run or whatever, but like an exclusive year or multi-year residency) would directly contradict Mike's 2012 LA Times letter so strongly advocating that all the small markets all across the country need to be hit on tour.

But I don't think this Bill Medley interview necessarily means a whole lot. Sounds like another one of those "I ran into someone and made chit-chat for a little while" sort of situations. I'd be more surprised if Mike has never thought of such a residency.

I also don't see a residency happening, in terms of a long-term exclusive deal. He might do a week or two or even a month, but the Beach Boys have done week-long or so (and possibly even longer) runs in Vegas before. Al has done multiple Vegas one or two-week-long residencies as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done a Vegas residency already. Elton John, Rod Stewart, etc... do it.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »

What's funny is that a residency (meaning a full residency, not a two-week run or whatever, but like an exclusive year or multi-year residency) would directly contradict Mike's 2012 LA Times letter so strongly advocating that all the small markets all across the country need to be hit on tour.  

Well, we all know that this "smaller markets" comment was a BS excuse for Mike to get out of addressing the truth, that he wants full and absolute control of the band. While I don't doubt that he does in fact see a benefit in hitting smaller markets... if a long-term Vegas residency happens, that will show that the "small markets" idea is obviously something he is more than willing to flip-flop on if the price is right, thus showing what he truly prioritizes... Mike's priorities ultimately do not lie with small-town fans (or showing respect to Brian or Al), even if the small-town fans made for a "good" excuse in the 2012 LA Times letter.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:30:38 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »

Well, we all know that this "smaller markets" comment was a BS excuse for Mike to get out of addressing the truth, that he wants full and absolute control of the band. While I don't doubt that he does in fact see a benefit in hitting smaller markets... if a long-term Vegas residency happens, that will show that the "small markets" idea is obviously something he is more than willing to flip-flop on if the price is right, thus showing what he truly prioritizes... Mike's priorities ultimately do not lie with small-town fans (or showing respect to Brian or Al), even if the small-town fans made for a "good" excuse in the 2012 LA Times letter.

2012 was 4 years ago! 

If I was Mike's age a residency in Vegas would appeal to me.  4 years on I think the guy is entitled to change his mind.  BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was a BS excuse in 2012.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »

2012 was 4 years ago!  

If I was Mike's age a residency in Vegas would appeal to me.  4 years on I think the guy is entitled to change his mind.  BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was a BS excuse in 2012.

No, Mike is not allowed to change his mind! Remember, if a statement of intent or "promise" is made (like being promised a room to write songs), no changeeeeeeeees are permitted!!!  That includes the "small markets" promise.

In all seriousness, yeah I could see the M&B show landing in Vegas eventually, if only because it would be easier on the guys physically. I don't know how Mike and Bruce, at their ages, do what they do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:56:39 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 11:54:24 AM »

In all seriousness, yeah I could see the M&B show landing in Vegas eventually, if only because it would be easier on the guys physically. I don't know how Mike and Bruce, at their ages, do what they do.
They get stronger with each paycheck.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »

2012 was 4 years ago!  

If I was Mike's age a residency in Vegas would appeal to me.  4 years on I think the guy is entitled to change his mind.  BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was a BS excuse in 2012.

No, Mike is not allowed to change his mind! Remember, if a statement of intent or "promise" is made (like being promised a room to write songs), no changeeeeeeeees are permitted!!!  That includes the "small markets" promise.

Grin. That's also true!  Mike likes to keep people to a promise so I won't let him away with that one either!  Cheesy

I don't know how they still do it either.  Maybe one day they'll all get back together and do a residency in Vegas.  Just a pity I live on the other side of the world!  Grin
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 01:36:49 PM »

Vegas is entrenched in gaudy tackiness which means myKe luHv will feel right at home. I can see more jewelry, rings, a cornucopia of ridiculous hats,  sequins, leisure suits and a turban or two being added to the already goofy wardrobe.

Would you have told Sinatra his town was entrenched in gaudy tackiness?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »

Vegas is entrenched in gaudy tackiness which means myKe luHv will feel right at home. I can see more jewelry, rings, a cornucopia of ridiculous hats,  sequins, leisure suits and a turban or two being added to the already goofy wardrobe.

Would you have told Sinatra his town was entrenched in gaudy tackiness?

What does your *question* have to do with anything here Andy boy or did you pull that one out of your hat to start something? I was there back in the day and it was far less tacky than it is now. It reminded me of a seaside vacation area with a cool boardwalk. Now? Meh. If I had had the chance to talk to Sinatra, whom I saw a few times, I would have asked him why he hadn't covered some of Brian's tunes like GOK or a host of others.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »

Just think of it as one huge beach !
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »

I think it's a fine idea. The Beach Boys should do a Vegas residency, with Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Blondie and Ricky in the band.

Also Billy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx