gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:08:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Highwaymen - 30th anniversary, documentary, live boxset  (Read 15765 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »

Happy 83rd Birthday to Willie Hugh Nelson! Here's wishing Willie many more years of good health and recording and performing. He is a national treasure, one of the last of a dying breed, and his work is much appreciated. I'm going to cheat a little bit here and link a video of Glen Campbell performing "Gentle On My Mind". But...but...but...Willie and Waylon are present and one of the most touching moments of the video is seeing the expression on Willie's face as he admires Glen's guitar solo. And, with Chet Atkins and Roy Clark also in the audience, I'd say there's a little bit of guitar talent on hand. Cheesy 

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio     
I remember that show. At one point, Glen breaks a string on his guitar, and he asks if anyone will lend him a guitar. Willie lends him his beat up old guitar, which everyone chuckles about, but Glen actually likes the sound of it. Doesn't seem that long ago this show aired, but I guess it has been a few years. Waylon was still here, Glen was in good health....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »

Happy 83rd Birthday to Willie Hugh Nelson! Here's wishing Willie many more years of good health and recording and performing. He is a national treasure, one of the last of a dying breed, and his work is much appreciated. I'm going to cheat a little bit here and link a video of Glen Campbell performing "Gentle On My Mind". But...but...but...Willie and Waylon are present and one of the most touching moments of the video is seeing the expression on Willie's face as he admires Glen's guitar solo. And, with Chet Atkins and Roy Clark also in the audience, I'd say there's a little bit of guitar talent on hand. Cheesy  

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/ETkzK9pXMio    
I remember that show. At one point, Glen breaks a string on his guitar, and he asks if anyone will lend him a guitar. Willie lends him his beat up old guitar, which everyone chuckles about, but Glen actually likes the sound of it. Doesn't seem that long ago this show aired, but I guess it has been a few years. Waylon was still here, Glen was in good health....

Oh yeah, you're talking about Trigger! That has to be one of if not the most iconic guitar in the business. It sounds exactly like Willie (and vice versa).

Willie Nelson and His Famous Guitar: The Tale of Trigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IB0trJoJU

Talking about Willie and Glen, I just found this completely by accident:

Willie Nelson & Glen Campbell Hello Walls (1969) Columbus Stockade Blues (1970)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I6n88-6hR0

Willie Nelson & Glen Campbell: Just to Satisfy You; with Roger Miller: Uncloudy Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxgYKtaW0Y
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:20:56 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

I like those videos with Willie and Glen. It looks like Willie was just "starting to turn" Grin into his outlaw phase. Until seeing some of these videos, I didn't realize how much Glen and The Highwaymen appeared with each other through the years. And, because Glen maintained such a youthful look, it didn't seem that Glen was so close in age to The Highwaymen, but he was. Here's a good one of Glen Campbell with Kris Kristofferson: https://youtu.be/UBbQAtHT-2c
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »

I like those videos with Willie and Glen. It looks like Willie was just "starting to turn" Grin into his outlaw phase. Until seeing some of these videos, I didn't realize how much Glen and The Highwaymen appeared with each other through the years. And, because Glen maintained such a youthful look, it didn't seem that Glen was so close in age to The Highwaymen, but he was. Here's a good one of Glen Campbell with Kris Kristofferson: https://youtu.be/UBbQAtHT-2c

Just remembered this one of Kris and some other singer. In case you haven't seen it before  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-TlvBzNHcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A572tyXd1Y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMpUMWT9uo
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:03:32 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »

Most of the Highwaymen turned up on Glen's tv show at some point; Waylon was on there probably around the same time as Willie, and there's a very memorable all country episode with John, Buck Owens and Merle Haggard. The network told Glen "that show was too country!" Typical network buffoons.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 12:54:54 AM »

I saw Willie live a few years ago, we're in this big convention center with probably 4,000 people there, and before the show, they had Trigger sitting out at the edge of the stage, unattended.  Basically there were rednecks 5 feet from the guitar.  We kept talking about how dangerous that was, the guitar's priceless and anybody could have grabbed it and probably got the hell out of there before anybody caught them. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »

Rocker, thanks for the Brian Wilson-Kris Kristofferson link. I had completely forgotten about that performance. It's kind of interesting but you have two of the greatest songwriters ever, and I don't think either one has recorded or performed any of each other's songs.

Lonely Summer, I know the exact clip you are talking about with the Glen, Johnny, Buck, and Merle performance on Glen's TV show. I believe Mel Tillis, June Carter Cash, and Minnie Pearl were on it, too. I'll keep scouring YouTube for it!

Ron, I have a funny Willie Nelson story. A few years ago, I saw Willie open for Bob Dylan in Bethlehem, PA. It was outdoors and the skies were sunny but fast becoming cloudy. Willie came on and kept looking up at the sky as it became darker and darker. Eventually the sky was almost black and lightning as a thunderstorm was fast approaching. Willie was about half way through his set and all of a sudden he went into fast speed. There were obviously a few classics he wanted to perform yet, so he went into these super fast versions of "I Saw The Light", "Always On My Mind", and the closer, "On The Road Again". Imagine turning the speed up on a turntable - that's what the songs sounded like. It was almost funny as it was obvious what Willie was doing, and you kind of appreciated it because those songs were important to the audience, and he wanted to get them in. What was funny was that Willie quickly finished the set, the rain hadn't started yet, and Willie didn't want to leave the stage. He kept walking from one side of the side of the stage to the other, waving and throwing things like his hat, bandana, and guitar pick into the audience. He didn't want to cheat anybody. Anyway, it eventually poured for about a half an hour, stopped, and Dylan performed.

In keeping with The Highwayman theme, I found this video of Glen Campbell performing one of the earliest versions of the song, "The Highwayman". I apologize for the video quality, but the sound is good. From July 1978: https://youtu.be/8iQdKtustvw
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

Rocker, thanks for the Brian Wilson-Kris Kristofferson link. I had completely forgotten about that performance. It's kind of interesting but you have two of the greatest songwriters ever, and I don't think either one has recorded or performed any of each other's songs.

Which reminds me once more of what could've been a really cool project... Stars&Stripes. My alternate Tracklist features a.o. Kris Kristofferson doing "Forever" or even "Thoughts of you"

In keeping with The Highwayman theme, I found this video of Glen Campbell performing one of the earliest versions of the song, "The Highwayman". I apologize for the video quality, but the sound is good. From July 1978: https://youtu.be/8iQdKtustvw

Wow! Thank you! I always thought Jimmy Webb wrote it for the Highwaymen-project. Didn't know about this....

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

Guy Clark passed away today at age 74 after a long illness. He wrote "Desperados Waiting For A Train". Rocker posted a video of the song earlier in the thread. Here is another one of The Highwaymen performing "Desperados Waiting For A Train" : https://youtu.be/MpZV1iJ99g4   
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »

Guy Clark passed away today at age 74 after a long illness. He wrote "Desperados Waiting For A Train". Rocker posted a video of the song earlier in the thread. Here is another one of The Highwaymen performing "Desperados Waiting For A Train" : https://youtu.be/MpZV1iJ99g4   

Thanks for the info! Just saw a link on Facebook:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/05/17/guy-clark-dead-74/80932338/

I mentioned it somewhere in the country-thread IIRC, that song (along with George Jones' Radio Lover) is the very first song I can distintcly remember hearing in my life.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »

Songs We Love: The Highwaymen, 'One Too Many Mornings'

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/19/478257462/songs-we-love-the-highwaymen-one-too-many-mornings?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20160519

"Fifteen years on, in late 1984, Cash convened the group that would become The Highwaymen while recording a Christmas special in Montreux, Switzerland. A little over a year after that, he released a new "One Too Many Mornings" on his album Heroes with newly-minted Highwayman Waylon Jennings. (The album is notable for, among other things, its cover art figuring the two singers as gunslingers.) In 2014, 11 years after Cash's death, Nelson and Kristofferson — who'd been left at the side of the road for the Heroes version — added their own vocals to the track. That version is now seeing light, thanks to the upcoming box set Live: American Outlaws."

Well....

The 10th anniversary edition of "The road goes on forever" had an unreleased studio cut with "If he came back again" (a song about Hank Williams sr.) and if I'm not mistaken the new set has another one with "One too many mornings". But since Cash and Waylon recorded a version on their "Heroes" album this might be just the old recording with Kris and Willie adding new vocal tracks. This is just a guess, I haven't heard anything about it. Of course it might well be a genuine outtake.

High Five

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »

I saw Willie live a few years ago, we're in this big convention center with probably 4,000 people there, and before the show, they had Trigger sitting out at the edge of the stage, unattended.  Basically there were rednecks 5 feet from the guitar.  We kept talking about how dangerous that was, the guitar's priceless and anybody could have grabbed it and probably got the hell out of there before anybody caught them. 
I hope he has that instrument insured!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »

The Highwaymen: The Fights and Friendship of Country's Great Supergroup

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-highwaymen-the-fights-and-friendship-of-countrys-great-supergroup-20160520

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »

This was new to me but it was uploaded six years ago. A solo version of "Desperados (waiting for a train)" by Willie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCIkGbloajk

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:53 AM »

hey Rocker,
Willie did a song maybe 6, 12 months back called 'I woke up still not dead again today' after the hoaxes that were going round.
it was properly recorded and uploaded to youtube for a while, but it has disappeared.  There is a live version or two floating
around, but I've been looking for the film clip and studio (bus studio) version of it.
do you know anymore about this and why it's no longer on youtube?
It's a great funny song, and SO 'willie'.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »

hey Rocker,
Willie did a song maybe 6, 12 months back called 'I woke up still not dead again today' after the hoaxes that were going round.
it was properly recorded and uploaded to youtube for a while, but it has disappeared.  There is a live version or two floating
around, but I've been looking for the film clip and studio (bus studio) version of it.
do you know anymore about this and why it's no longer on youtube?
It's a great funny song, and SO 'willie'.

Here he's talking about that rumour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUtqzynbA8

But I don't know why it was taken down. Found this assumption, though:

Apparently the video has been pulled, which is weird because it was originally published by Willie’s Official YouTube channel. Perhaps they decided to get the song ready for sale. Stay tuned.

From this site:

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/willie-nelson-pens-ode-to-death-hoaxes-still-not-dead-again-today/

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »

yeah! I was gonna say it was on his 'Vevo' channel, but I wasn't sure if I had my wires crossed on that.  It's a great little song,
I only went looking for it recently, and found no trace of the film clip or the track whatsoever.  I started having doubts I saw it haha
Thanks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »

Which reminds me once more of what could've been a really cool project... Stars&Stripes. My alternate Tracklist features a.o. Kris Kristofferson doing "Forever" or even "Thoughts of you"

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »

I remembered the talk about Brian and Kris Kristofferson when I saw this picture of the artists of the Big Sur Folk Festival 1970. It features the Beach Boys and Kristofferson:

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2021, 05:35:33 AM »

I remembered the talk about Brian and Kris Kristofferson when I saw this picture of the artists of the Big Sur Folk Festival 1970. It features the Beach Boys and Kristofferson:

Vielen Dank!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx