gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:38:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love Surrounds Me  (Read 2331 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »

Does anyone know how much contribution the Beach Boys minus Dennis Wilson put in this song? And also is there any difference between the one released on Dennis Wilsons CD to the versions on Beach Boys LA album?
 Thanks
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »

Listen to them and you will hear a difference.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »

Carl's voice is audible on the LA version. None of the other guys' voices stand out on the track. wouldn't be surprised if Bruce is on it, though.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:42:55 AM »

Carl's voice is audible on the LA version. None of the other guys' voices stand out on the track. wouldn't be surprised if Bruce is on it, though.

Bruce is indeed on it - the L.A. Light version, that it. His is the highest voice on there - possibly the highest we've ever heard him - or any other male - ever sing!

For more info than you would probably ever want on the creation of this song, visit my essay at http://beachboysarchives.com/page12
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »

Wait-- I thought the highest voice was Christine McVie?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:58:30 AM »

Bruce is indeed on it - the L.A. Light version, that it. His is the highest voice on there - possibly the highest we've ever heard him - or any other male - ever sing!

For more info than you would probably ever want on the creation of this song, visit my essay at http://beachboysarchives.com/page12

The shorts were particularly tight that day.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »

...or Marissa Conover, per Alan Boyd.  No one seems to really know for sure.  (Ed, you were there....)

I'm guessing he's talking about the high note at 1:44, which is pretty fricking high (I can't hit it, that's for sure).  Higher than the female part at the end.

This is SUCH a great recording, one of my absolute favorite Beach Boys tracks.  It's apparently mostly Cushing-Murray's work (the songwriting part I mean).  This track is SO good.  The only reason we didn't do it on LONG PROMISED ROAD is I couldn't fathom any arrangement we could conceivably pull off live.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:58:30 AM by adamghost » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 11:57:58 AM »

...or Marissa Conover, per Alan Boyd.  No one seems to really know for sure.  (Ed, you were there....)

I'm guessing he's talking about the high note at 1:44, which is pretty fricking high (I can't hit it, that's for sure).  Higher than the female part at the end.

This is SUCH a great recording, one of my absolute favorite Beach Boys tracks.  It's apparently mostly Cushing-Murray's work.  This track is SO good.  The only reason we didn't do it on LONG PROMISED ROAD is I couldn't fathom any arrangement we could conceivably pull off live.
How much would you say Dennis wrote?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »

This is SUCH a great recording, one of my absolute favorite Beach Boys tracks.  It's apparently mostly Cushing-Murray's work.  This track is SO good.  The only reason we didn't do it on LONG PROMISED ROAD is I couldn't fathom any arrangement we could conceivably pull off live.

I'm actually rereading Craig Slowinski's essay about the recording which was my source for saying that.  The link is above, but it sounds like it's about 60-40 Murray to Dennis.  It appears that Dennis came up with the track and the chord progressions, Murray did the lyrics and the melody.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »

I'm actually rereading Craig Slowinski's essay about the recording which was my source for saying that.  The link is above, but it sounds like it's about 60-40 Murray to Dennis.  It appears that Dennis came up with the track and the chord progressions, Murray did the lyrics and the melody.
Ah thanks. I have, of course, read c-man's essay, but it's been awhile. I'll go read it again. Always loved Dennis' voice on this one. Fits the mood perfectly.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 12:05:41 PM »

Ah thanks. I have, of course, read c-man's essay, but it's been awhile. I'll go read it again. Always loved Dennis' voice on this one. Fits the mood perfectly.

Yeah, same here.  Craig is the man.  And rereading parts of it reminds me (as if I needed to be reminded) how much I love Earle Mankey to pieces.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx