gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:03:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new david mark's album  (Read 7135 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »

I got my amazon download of Dave's new rockin album and have been playing it non-stop. Anyone else listening?
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »

Yes. I love it.  The vocal tracks aren't my favorite as I don't care for his voice all that much, but the instrumentals are smokin'.  There's a lot of energy and drive on those tracks.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »

so far so good  Cool

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »

Wow, where is the PR?

Bought it and loving it! Great California surf sounds to usher in the summer!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »

It's too bad that on the Beach Boys album one did really not experience any of this kind particular artistic contribution from Dave. Rather he played some lovely parts and some exotic,  very classically beautiful parts but the surf songs on Radio don't sound anything like this. I guess I'm thinking of beaches in mind which just doesn't Rock the way these Tunes do. I think the Beach Boys have 4 major components or perhaps more, the Lush Melancholy of Brian's infinite brilliance, the positivity of Mike's lyricism and bounce,, and then the insanely beautiful voices of Bruce and Al, and the balls to the wall hardcore surf Rock power of Dave. I wish they would get back together and make an album that reflects all those different talents and artistic inspirations. Mind you I very much do love Dave's  contribution to radio. I just wish that skunk Baker was not on there at all and that Dave  played all the lead parts and got a chance to express himself as he does on this great great new album of his.

Thank you Dave and band for reimagining these Beach Boys and Marksman Classics which really really rock and have made my day so energized and so beautiful.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »

Not a huge fan of the wet surf sound, but I've got $4 left on an iTunes gift card and they've got David's name on them. For those of you who've heard the new album, which tracks should I buy?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:03:59 PM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:15:50 AM »

Not a huge fan of the wet surf sound, but I've got $4 left on an iTunes gift card and they've got David's name on them. For those of you who've heard the new album, which tracks should I buy?

Well, Sheriff of Noddingham and Kustom Kar Show are my faves, but I'm probably biased.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »

Fantastic release. Thanks, and congrats, to all concerned...  Cool

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 03:33:49 AM »

I am loving it!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:46 AM »

I love it! It would be cool if the beach boys came out with a cd  again with energy and instruments with the California sound like this again!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »

Well, Sheriff of Noddingham and Kustom Kar Show are my faves, but I'm probably biased.
Great job Adam! Any plans for a CD release with bonus tracks?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »

Adam, thank you for this work. Oh how I wish Mike and Brian will hear this (have they?) and that they will put the band back together for a rockin album.  Who has their ear in this regard?

Adam, even Food Fair, not considered by some to be a brilliant song--or a good career choice by the Marksmen--is rockin' gold,

the professor loves it. Dave is my favorite BB; king of the surf guitar.

I promise to listen every day,

again, deep thanks for a major historical accomplishment,

prof.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »

Looks like we've got the rock 'n' roll album early. Haven't bought it yet (plan to), but the samples sound incredible! Oddly refreshing just to hear a no-bullshit vintage sound... this ought to be one for the summer.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:12:38 AM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 10:54:51 PM »

Aw thanks guys.  I was definitely with all of you in wanting to keep it sounding live and fresh and organic.  The first thing I said to Dave when he came in to do vocals is "we don't do autotune here!"  He laughed and agreed.  But I think everybody wanted to do something live-ish and vintage, so we were all on the same page.  They actually went to a lot of trouble to get the right amps and such.  I think it's part of the reason they came to Karma Frog to do it...we don't have baffles so you get a lot of the same "good leakage" that recording studios are so frightened of these days.

I love "Food Fair" for the WTF lyrics!  And I was relieved they let me remix it because I really didn't get that one right the first time around.  We mixed the tracks in a heck of a hurry, though in a way that's kind of cool - gives it more of that '60s "get it done!" feel.

I know there's a physical CD coming (just bugged Carrie about it today because I want a copy and also I have a DJ in Tucson who wants to feature it on a show about Karma Frog).  I don't think there are bonus tracks, though I know that there are I think 5 more songs that were recorded and mixed than what were released.  I think the reason they were held back is they were covers of Beach Boys songs and probably felt a little been there, done that (though I kind of enjoyed their laid back "this is how I real surfer woulda done this" kind of quality).

Dave has been back at Karma Frog tracking with Probyn Gregory and Nelson Bragg.  I probably shouldn't say what they did, but it was interesting and I thought it was good stuff.  I don't know if that's going to turn into another album or not.  Above my pay grade!  Dave also did a session here a few weeks ago for Mod Hippie's second album, which was great as he was able to let his imagination run wild with a band that is a lot more Moon than Beach Boys.  He did some really Flamenco-ish stylings on one tune with a nylon string guitar, and some pretty punk rock stuff on another tune.  One of the most inventive players I've ever worked with.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:01:41 PM by adamghost » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 11:34:21 AM »

Just got the download -- that's a very nice job, Adam! It sounds real, and fresh and vintage all at the same time. I've already burned it to CD for the car player, but I also definitely want to buy the CD release when it happens.

Is there any place that has detailed credits on the tracks?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »

Just got the download -- that's a very nice job, Adam! It sounds real, and fresh and vintage all at the same time. I've already burned it to CD for the car player, but I also definitely want to buy the CD release when it happens.

Is there any place that has detailed credits on the tracks?

Not that I'm aware of.  Wish there were, since I'd like to see my name on it!  Smiley  Thanks man.  I was aware I'd have to face all of you guys when it was done and I didn't want to screw it up!

We'll probably have to wait for the physical CD and my understanding is that that's on a brief (a few weeks) hold at the moment because of logistical issues.  

I can tell you that I produced and engineered, Carrie was probably what you'd call "executive producer," and she was there for the basic tracking.  Dave did all the lead guitar and vocals, and the A-Phonics did the rest.  So there's not much detail to be had.  The band tracks were done pretty much live.  There were a few edits and fixes here and there, but not many.  I'd say the basics are probably about 95% as played in the room.  I didn't play on it at all but I did do some chord corrections and conducting in a few spots.  The room was kept pretty live and in fact there's a mono room mic in the mix, a vintage U87 I kept running throughout the sessions.  Dave's parts were overdubbed later (as he was on the road with the Beach Boys when the basics were done).  That was a lot of back and forth in the room between us honing in on the best guitar and vocal stuff, and then a bit of editing later which I did.  And that's pretty much it!  I think it was about 4-5 days' work in total.  Kind of a cool way to make a record.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:46:27 AM by adamghost » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »

I've so far purchased Sheriff and Kustom (per Adam's biased suggestion:)), plus Cruisin'.  Like I said, I'm not a fan of wet reverb, but the musicianship and production on these tracks is pretty amazing.  Nice job, adamghost!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »

I've so far purchased Sheriff and Kustom (per Adam's biased suggestion:)), plus Cruisin'.  Like I said, I'm not a fan of wet reverb, but the musicianship and production on these tracks is pretty amazing.  Nice job, adamghost!

"Get great players, and stick a mic in front of them."  -- Earle Mankey
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »

Oh speaking of credits, Earle mastered it.  Forgot that, kind of a big omission.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »

I love it! It would be cool if the beach boys came out with a cd  again with energy and instruments with the California sound like this again!

Yeah, but they've done this already, pre-1964.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »

Thank you, Adam, for the kind words about the project and for all the hard work you put into making this album sound great!

There was a hold up on getting the physical CDs out on time but DavidLeeMarks.com is back online and ready to take orders for signed copies of BACK IN THE GARAGE featuring the badass instrumental surf band, the A-phonics from Valencia, Spain! The CDs have been ordered and will be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. All pre-sale orders will be signed by David. They will not be offered signed once the pre-sale is over. Also, there are also a small quantity of signed copies of DAVID MARKS & FRIENDS LIVE available for as long as they last.

You can pre-order the CD here: http://www.davidleemarks.com/#!music/c1ppg

You can preview one of the tracks here: https://soundcloud.com/davidleemarks/surf-jam

The entire CD is also available now to download on iTunes and Amazon:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/back-in-garage-feat.-phonics/id1089214016

https://www.amazon.com/Garage-feat--Phonics-David-Marks/dp/B01CF444PA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461200727&sr=8-1&keywords=back+in+the+garage

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »

Thanks Carrie!  Just pre-ordered.  Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:52 PM »

Thanxx for the heads-up Carrie!!  
 I ordered one of each; always happy to get something from you and Dave. ( hope I didn't already have David and Friends Live hidden in one of these stacks...)  

Looking for a pic for LD I found this old handbill ( all that would fit on the scanner in any case...  )  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:35:42 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »

Carrie, my hubby just ordered it for me.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 05:48:56 AM »

I will have to give this album a listen!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx