gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:30:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson Clues  (Read 8274 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 08:15:38 AM »

There is something called "shallow water blackout" caused by hyperventilation which sounds very much like what happened to Dennis. My own opinion was that it was an accident that alcohol  played a part in. I don't buy the theory that Dennis just gave up, as tragically romantic as that may sound.

Dennis was homeless, penniless and was kicked out of the band he loved, and helped form, three months previously. He was finding items he'd thrown overboard from The Harmony when it was docked where he was diving. Hardly a positive mindset. I'm not saying his was a concious act, that he was diving with that intent, rather that he just wanted a rest.

Was this three month period the longest he had been kicked out of the band for? He had been kicked out of the band previously numerous times over the preceding several years, but I'm assuming this was the longest chunk of time?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »

Also, alcohol increases the chances of developing hypothermia as "alcohol damages thermoregulation, which lowers the body's resistance to cold water."

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/coastal_communities/hypothermia#alcohol

The more I read, the more I find reinforcement for hypothermia being at least a contributing factor.

For how long was he diving?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »

There is something called "shallow water blackout" caused by hyperventilation which sounds very much like what happened to Dennis. My own opinion was that it was an accident that alcohol  played a part in. I don't buy the theory that Dennis just gave up, as tragically romantic as that may sound.

Dennis was homeless, penniless and was kicked out of the band he loved, and helped form, three months previously. He was finding items he'd thrown overboard from The Harmony when it was docked where he was diving. Hardly a positive mindset. I'm not saying his was a concious act, that he was diving with that intent, rather that he just wanted a rest.

Was this three month period the longest he had been kicked out of the band for? He had been kicked out of the band previously numerous times over the preceding several years, but I'm assuming this was the longest chunk of time?

Ummm... lemme check on the truly excellent 10452 BB site.  Roll Eyes

No... excepting three dates in Nid-November, he got the boot from August 12th 1979 to June 1st 1980 (the European tour). Roughly nine months.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »

He was also going back and forth to the boat his acquaintance/friend took him out in.

Not sure what you're saying here - The Emerald was moored in the marina, not under way or out at sea.

Swimming up and down, back and forth to the boat. I thought it was off shore a small distance. I'm remembering wrong then. In any case they were drinking and seemingly having a fun time. Drinking and diving in cold water is a very bad combination. In Wisconsin, where I live, college students drown regularly in a stretch of the Mississippi River at La Crosse. Some people can't accept that they died foolishly and even theorize a serial killer. You can google this. It sucks but they died because they got drunk and while walking along the river, probably whizzing in many cases, they fall in and drown. Dennis drowned IMO. Guess we'll disagree on this.

For the record, I respect your opinions Andrew. You are one of the most prominent posters here that take getting to the truth of all things Beach Boys seriously. You can be cranky and crude but your hearts in the right place. Not that you asked for my opinion but........
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »

but your hearts in the right place. Not that you asked for my opinion but........

Reminds me of the splendid Robert Bloch quote: "despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk."  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »

Were that the case he would have struggled to surface, not curled up on the bottom.

Maybe I'm being naive.  How could someone just choose to sit on the bottom and drown?  If you try it the next time you are in the water you would find how difficult it is to curl up at the bottom without floating back up.

Then there is the body's natural reaction to scramble for air and try to get to the top.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe Dennis just 'gave up'.  The eyewitnesses said he was in good spirits that day.  He had overcome far worse than his financial problems at the time and losing the boat.  It was a tragic drowning accident.

I drowned when I was 4 years old.  No, not near-drowned-- drowned.  Drowning does not always result in death.  In this case, it was close.  I obviously can't say what happened to Dennis, but I can recount what happened to me and I think I can make some fairly educated assumptions.

It happened in a hotel pool in Anaheim, CA, and it's one of the most vivid memories I have.  I fell off a float into 3 feet of water.  Unable to keep my mouth above water, I was unable to breathe and my autonomic response kicked in.  Panic. Utter fear and violent struggle.  Whether I knew what was happening or not didn't matter; my nervous system did.  I kicked my legs and flapped my arms but to no avail.  I remember these movements becoming less erratic as the seconds passed, surely due to the lack of oxygen to power my muscles.  I have no idea how long this lasted.

When I could no longer move, the panic left completely and gave way to a sense of complete relaxation and comfort.  I remember giving up trying to breathe and coming to some warped notion that it wasn't necessary.  That I could just float there underwater, completely relaxed, in perpetuity. No air needed.  I even thought to myself, "How dumb of me to think I need air down here!"

Aside from that, there was no emotion at all.  Just a keen sense of the water on my skin, in my mouth, in my eyes, and the sounds of the water.  I tilted my head as if to rest.  Not a muscle in my body contracted.  I'm not sure how long I remained in this state, but it continued until I heard loud voices and was yanked from the water.  I have no memories of the event after being pulled from the water, but apparently my dad was able to resuscitate me poolside.

Given my own experience, I believe Dennis did not "just let go" in the sense that some of you believe.  I believe his autonomic response kicked in and he fought for life until his body gave up, at which point he felt the same sense of relaxed euphoria that I did.  He did give up-- not because of some my-life-sucks-and-I'm-tired thought process, but via a physiological coping mechanism designed, perhaps, to make the victim's inevitable exit less traumatic.  At that moment, his tense muscles relaxed and he rested.

Not romantic at all, given the terror that precedes the calm.  But if his experience was anything like mine, his last few seconds maybe weren't so bad.

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure if anyone suicidal or not kills themselves by drowning there body is going to automatically try to fight for oxygen.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »

He was also going back and forth to the boat his acquaintance/friend took him out in.

Not sure what you're saying here - The Emerald was moored in the marina, not under way or out at sea.

Swimming up and down, back and forth to the boat. I thought it was off shore a small distance. I'm remembering wrong then. In any case they were drinking and seemingly having a fun time. Drinking and diving in cold water is a very bad combination. In Wisconsin, where I live, college students drown regularly in a stretch of the Mississippi River at La Crosse. Some people can't accept that they died foolishly and even theorize a serial killer. You can google this. It sucks but they died because they got drunk and while walking along the river, probably whizzing in many cases, they fall in and drown. Dennis drowned IMO. Guess we'll disagree on this.

For the record, I respect your opinions Andrew. You are one of the most prominent posters here that take getting to the truth of all things Beach Boys seriously. You can be cranky and crude but your hearts in the right place. Not that you asked for my opinion but........

You're not totally wrong!

He was being taken round the Marina in a small rowing boat.  He went across to a place called 'Aggy's" and chatted to the owner (joking around and stuff, typical Dennis). So yes, he was in good spirits it seems.

Also great post from Bonnvillemariner.  For me that probably sums it up.  Cheers for sharing that with us.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx