gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:15:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book released October 11th  (Read 60089 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:02 PM »

I really honestly don't understand your motivation is Cam. What is at your centre? What drives you?

Cam?

I'm fine, thanks for your concern.  Did you have a Beach Boys question or comment?
Cam thanks for letting me and subsequently those that read and participate on this board know that you are "fine". Although the fact that you are indeed fine may be relevant to you, it has no relevance to what I asked you. So please again if I may.
Pertaining to your motivation ;What is at your centre? What drives you?

And your question has no relevance to the thread so thanks but no thanks.

Feel free to tell us your motivation, what is at your centre, what drives you if you wish, I guess.
I was not active in this thread, I have not stated my opinion on the subject matter. I am merely intrigued at your responses and then became inquisitive as to how said responses are motivated. If I respond to posts it is normally a reflection of my inner thoughts, my centre, my beliefs if you will. I am intrigued at what drives you to continually post after post persist with a similar key motivatory factor which drives your input.

deleted
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:45:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:32 AM »

An insider who we all like? An honoured guest but not AGD? Narrows it down to about 5 or 6. These 'issues', real or not, have been hinted at in published works, you know...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2016, 12:17:49 AM »

Seeing as I'm neither an honoured guest nor universally adored, I was never in the frame. Bizarre.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »

Do what I do and pretend cam doesn't exist... Because his posts really are like if Ted Cruz were a beach boys fan  Cheesy

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2016, 04:02:45 AM »

I wonder what makes some posters want to be so insolent on a Beach Boys message board but maybe it's another thing we will never know.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2016, 04:09:33 AM »

Seeing as I'm neither an honoured guest nor universally adored, I was never in the frame. Bizarre.

You're a universally adored honored guest in our hearts.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2016, 04:33:10 AM »

There you go again Roll Eyes,, please speak for yourself.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2016, 04:46:18 AM »

There you go again Roll Eyes,, please speak for yourself.

You're a universally adored honored guest in my heart too.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2016, 04:55:21 AM »

That's what I meant.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was not specified that it's an honored guest.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »

I don't think public guessing, with the potential of dragging uninvolved people's names though the mud, is nice.
For your private guessing pleasure, I will point out that Cincinnati Kid's "we all like" comment was referring to his intermediate source, not the original.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »

I don't think public guessing, with the potential of dragging uninvolved people's names though the mud, is nice.

I strongly agree.

Also, this thread is supposed to be about Brian's upcoming book, and it'd be ace if talk turned back to that. The other topic, again, is currently being discussed and will be addressed, and that is a guarantee.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »

Brian is very ambiguous. It's very hard sometimes to figure out his true feelings about something. This may be a form of honesty and self-understanding in that feelings are often complex and contain dichotomies.  Most of us feel a need to pin them down, choose part of the feeling that is 'right' and dismiss the rest, while perhaps Brian Wilson doesn't feel the need to. While that may be fine for him, it makes communicating any part of his feelings to others very difficult. Sometimes I just don't know what he's talking about. For this reason, I actually hope that someone who knows him very well and who is honestly interested in helping him communicate his truth is helping with the book.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »

This thread has underlined some important facts. Brian has been married to Melinda for over 20 years. He has lived a productive life during this period and seems happy and realtively healthy.

I suppose there will always be speculation. Brian suffers from mental health issues, and has been taken advantage of continually throughout his life. The motivations have, for the most part, been financial (Murry-Sea of Tunes, Landy-exorbitant fees/publishing/will, Joe Thomas-allegations of unjust enrichment) It seems like the problems start when those who should be supporting Brian the family member, Brian the person, or Brian the artist, start to get involved in his finances.

Husband and wife is a different thing alltogether, there would be an expectation of some sort of financial co-relationship.  If there are people who have an axe to grind, perhaps because of lost access to Brian, it's easy for them to start to depict Melinda in a certain light.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »

This thread has underlined some important facts. Brian has been married to Melinda for over 20 years. He has lived a productive life during this period and seems happy and realtively healthy.

I suppose there will always be speculation. Brian suffers from mental health issues, and has been taken advantage of continually throughout his life. The motivations have, for the most part, been financial (Murry-Sea of Tunes, Landy-exorbitant fees/publishing/will, Joe Thomas-allegations of unjust enrichment) It seems like the problems start when those who should be supporting Brian the family member, Brian the person, or Brian the artist, start to get involved in his finances.

Husband and wife is a different thing alltogether, there would be an expectation of some sort of financial co-relationship.  If there are people who have an axe to grind, perhaps because of lost access to Brian, it's easy for them to start to depict Melinda in a certain light.
Great post.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »

Exactly.  It is common in marriage for finances to be shared and it is often the case that one party benefits substantially more than the other from a *financial* aspect.  From all accounts (other than those that are rather suspicious) Melinda is worth her weight in gold, and then some.  As to the second statement, you hit the nail on the head.  From everything I have seen, the negative comments in regards to Melinda being Landy 2.0 come from people who have been left out of the party, one way or another.

EoL

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations. I get that it's a way to try to shut down an argument but it's counterproductive and doesn't advance any discussions. There's a way for users to indulge in their private Brianistas -vs- Loveites dogpiles (although I have no idea what joy any fans can possibly take from that) without crossing the line.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »

Brian is very ambiguous. It's very hard sometimes to figure out his true feelings about something. This may be a form of honesty and self-understanding in that feelings are often complex and contain dichotomies.  Most of us feel a need to pin them down, choose part of the feeling that is 'right' and dismiss the rest, while perhaps Brian Wilson doesn't feel the need to. While that may be fine for him, it makes communicating any part of his feelings to others very difficult. Sometimes I just don't know what he's talking about. For this reason, I actually hope that someone who knows him very well and who is honestly interested in helping him communicate his truth is helping with the book.
This is also a great post, one of two in a row in the same thread.

As Emily says, "Sometimes I just don't know what he's talking about."  That may have as much to do with the fact that Brian has been interviewed a bazillion times, with any number of questions repeated for the half-bazillionth time.  Sometimes he may give an odd answer just to get to the next question.

But a book is a different animal, it seems to me.  I can't imagine him sitting down and writing about himself with no one to help him organize it.  Celebrity autobiographies used to have credits like "My Life Story, by Famous Celebrity, as told to Someone Else," in which Someone Else is a professional writer who organizes the information given by Famous Celebrity into a coherent volume.  Maybe Someone Else gave Famous Celebrity a list of questions and FC answered them into a tape recorder.  For this to work out well for Brian Wilson, I hope for the same thing that Emily does.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations. I get that it's a way to try to shut down an argument but it's counterproductive and doesn't advance any discussions. There's a way for users to indulge in their private Brianistas -vs- Loveites dogpiles (although I have no idea what joy any fans can possibly take from that) without crossing the line.

IMO, being on payroll in some capacity could include, for example, a fan on a message board simply being verbally thanked by Mike, either directly or indirectly, by finding out via channels by "someone who would know" that Mike appreciates being defended by a specific person... those could be "payroll" enough to a big enough fanboy.  I certainly don't see that as being some nefarious accusation, nor does it strike me as being out of the bounds of a scenario that could actually happen. If I were Mike, I'd love and be grateful to the fans who fought to the death to defend every single itty bitty action I'd ever done.

There are other examples in fan communities of other bands where a small handful of rogue fan(s) will go to the ends of the earth to defend a band member (who like Mike has many haters), and in an example that I know of, that fan wasn't getting paid in cash, but simply being thanked and/or acknowledged in some fashion... and that motivation seemed to be enough "payroll" for that uber fan.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:06:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »

This X1000.

IMO, being on payroll in some capacity could include, for example, a fan on a message board simply being verbally thanked by Mike, either directly or indirectly, by finding out via channels by "someone who would know" that Mike appreciates being defended by a specific person... those could be "payroll" enough to a big enough fanboy.  I certainly don't see that as being some nefarious accusation, nor does it strike me as being out of the bounds of a scenario that could actually happen. If I were Mike, I'd love and be grateful to the fans who fought to the death to defend every single itty bitty action I'd ever done.

There are other examples in fan communities of other bands where a small handful of rogue fan(s) will go to the ends of the earth to defend a band member (who like Mike has many haters), and in an example that I know of, that fan wasn't getting paid in cash, but simply being thanked and/or acknowledged in some fashion... and that motivation seemed to be enough "payroll" for that uber fan.

Payroll means money being exchanged. No two ways about it.

If you want to say "Oh, he or she is just saying this or that because Mike personally thanked him or whatever" and have the evidence to back that statement up then that is VERY different from accusations that people are being "paid" by Mike.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations.

That would be potentially libelous if proven untrue, yes, which is one of the reasons why I try to steer conversations away from that.

On a related subject, there are other potentially libelous things that have been posted too, and that is currently under investigation.

That said...

I would really like to return this back to the discussion of Brian's upcoming book. Why every single discussion of anything related to something new Brian's putting out always gets sidetracked is beyond me. I'm dreading the release of Mike's book for mostly the same reason.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »

This X1000.

Payroll means money being exchanged. No two ways about it.

If you want to say "Oh, he or she is just saying this or that because Mike personally thanked him or whatever" and have the evidence to back that statement up then that is VERY different from accusations that people are being "paid" by Mike.

And asking a question as to whether or not someone is on another's payroll is VERY different from an accusation.

EoL

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations.

That would be potentially libelous if proven untrue, yes, which is one of the reasons why I try to steer conversations away from that.

On a related subject, there are other potentially libelous things that have been posted too, and that is currently under investigation.

That said...

I would really like to return this back to the discussion of Brian's upcoming book. Why every single discussion of anything related to something new Brian's putting out always gets sidetracked is beyond me. I'm dreading the release of Mike's book for mostly the same reason.

Agreed. The only contract the Beach Boys have with their fans is the product they release. Love it, like it or hate it. Big deal. Why some fans can't focus on the music and instead choose to get swallowed up into the twilight years of the ongoing Beach Boys soap opera (a good chunk of it being fan-created anyway) is beyond me. I'd like to see the decorum on this forum raised.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

This X1000.

Speaking as one routinely accused of being on Mike's payroll since late September 2012 (and it's odd that I've been a cheerleader for Brian since summer 1975 without once being equally accused...), it doesn't bother me personally* - equally because I know that's not the case, and because those yelling the loudest are generally considered figures of fun and ridicule - but it does annoy because it derails the overall exchange. Can't argue with a closed mind. Too many potentially good threads devolve into either Mike v Brian or Love-kicking fests, and I know that frustrates the majority of posters here. It's no coincidence that several noted contributors have been silent for some time.

As for the current "sources" farrago... unnecessary, on several levels. If you have sources, don't flaunt them unless you can name them. All rather unedifying.

[* granted, the judicious application of The Hickey Script has aided immeasurably]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2016, 01:21:42 AM »

For your private guessing pleasure, I will point out that Cincinnati Kid's "we all like" comment was referring to his intermediate source, not the original.

Yeah, you're right. Apologies to all. DElete the post, Billy, please.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx