gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:44:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book released October 11th  (Read 60079 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »

Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to stay as mod if that were the case.  It's one of the reasons why I couldn't be on any of the Scott Weiland groups, having known what was really going on with him. I'm still here, and not going anywhere (health permitting)

Well we're all glad to have you here, Billy!  Grin

It just bugs me when people say someone is wrong because an insider said differently.  If it really was like a WIBN 2, they're not going to tell us. 

You are too much kid.  So you think the super-secret, tell-no-one third-hand info you have is more reliable than Ray, Debbie, etc?  Good luck in life being that gullible.  Somehow you've come to think you have secret knowledge that no one else has.  But we all hear the stories, receive the PMs, the top secret info that we are to repeat to no one, etc.  The truth is, none of us outsiders have special knowledge.  The minute you think you do is the minute you should realize you've been had.

EoL

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »

Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to stay as mod if that were the case.  It's one of the reasons why I couldn't be on any of the Scott Weiland groups, having known what was really going on with him. I'm still here, and not going anywhere (health permitting)

It just bugs me when people say someone is wrong because an insider said differently.  If it really was like a WIBN 2, they're not going to tell us. 

You are too much kid.  So you think the super-secret, tell-no-one third-hand info you have is more reliable than Ray, Debbie, etc?  Good luck in life being that gullible.  Somehow you've come to think you have secret knowledge that no one else has.  But we all hear the stories, receive the PMs, the top secret info that we are to repeat to no one, etc.  The truth is, none of us outsiders have special knowledge.  The minute you think you do is the minute you should realize you've been had.

EoL

All I'm going to say is you'd feel a bit embarrassed if you know who told me.  I'm not even sure why you posting here to be honest.  The vast majority of your posts the past couple years is just you arguing with people.  Before that, you made some really nice posts and I enjoyed listening to the music you made.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

SJS is a nice guy and a big Beach Boys fan. There's no reason to pile on the insults every time he (or anyone else) comments in a way people don't like, even if some of his (or anyone else's) opinions or assumptions may be wrong. You're tired of his positions? Fine, I'm sure he's tired of yours. Somewhere there is actual truth, and it's most likely few to none of us know that anyway.

OK, back to the General Music and Sandbox forums for me.

Agreed.  It's really a bore reading the same people whine about the posts he and other people make.  Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?  Roll Eyes (Before someone accuses me of accusing Melinda of what I just said, settle down because I'm not)

You may not being saying this *now*, but you have said it in the past, and more than once.  For example, when Lonely Summer posted the following:

"I think Mike probably feels that Melinda, and Brian's "handlers", have limited his access to Brian in recent years - specifically his request to be alone in a room with his cousin to write songs. In that respect, it's no different than the Landy years. But the rest of you probably have a different take on this situation. Probably."

You replied by saying:

"I think there's definitely some truth to this.  Mike isn't the only one who has had this opinion."

Here is the link, in case you have forgotten:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22013.msg524114.html#msg524114

You've also stated that you had a conversation with an insider who persuaded you that Brian is presently controlled by Melinda in a Landy-esque way.  So please cut the crap and at least have the decency to admit your position, even SJS does that.

EoL

That last part isn't what I said at all.  So how about you cut the crap and quit trolling like you always do.

You mean, just like you weren't slamming Melinda above, until it was shown that you were?

And, pray tell what did you say?  That someone on the board PMd you?  Are you believing things that were stated by people who are not insiders?  I'd like to here your explanation of this one.

Also, calling bullsh!t is not trolling, and even if it is that doesn't change the fact that it is bullsh!t.

EoL

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »

SJS is a nice guy and a big Beach Boys fan. There's no reason to pile on the insults every time he (or anyone else) comments in a way people don't like, even if some of his (or anyone else's) opinions or assumptions may be wrong. You're tired of his positions? Fine, I'm sure he's tired of yours. Somewhere there is actual truth, and it's most likely few to none of us know that anyway.

Agreed.  It's really a bore reading the same people whine about the posts he and other people make.  Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?  Roll Eyes (Before someone accuses me of accusing Melinda of what I just said, settle down because I'm not)

You may not being saying this *now*, but you have said it in the past, and more than once.  For example, when Lonely Summer posted the following:

"I think Mike probably feels that Melinda, and Brian's "handlers", have limited his access to Brian in recent years - specifically his request to be alone in a room with his cousin to write songs. In that respect, it's no different than the Landy years. But the rest of you probably have a different take on this situation. Probably."

You replied by saying:

"I think there's definitely some truth to this.  Mike isn't the only one who has had this opinion."

Here is the link, in case you have forgotten:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22013.msg524114.html#msg524114

You've also stated that you had a conversation with an insider who persuaded you that Brian is presently controlled by Melinda in a Landy-esque way.  So please cut the crap and at least have the decency to admit your position, even SJS does that.

EoL

That last part isn't what I said at all.  So how about you cut the crap and quit trolling like you always do.

You mean, just like you weren't slamming Melinda above, until it was shown that you were?

And, pray tell what did you say?  That someone on the board PMd you?  Are you believing things that were stated by people who are not insiders?  I'd like to here your explanation of this one.

Also, calling bullsh!t is not trolling, and even if it is that doesn't change the fact that it is bullsh!t.

EoL

Again, you're completely missing the point of my post because you want to argue and troll. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 02:03:34 PM »

Question and answer from the locked Rocky threads.

How are we SS message board members now supposed to spend our mornings, afternoons, and evenings??

Arguing of course!

Roll Eyes
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Question and answer from the locked Rocky threads.

How are we SS message board members now supposed to spend our mornings, afternoons, and evenings??

Arguing of course!

Roll Eyes

It's the SS way: an argument a day keeps new users away!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »

Okay, since I've been mentioned here in previous posts, please explain to me why I, or anyone else named as an "insider," would lie about Melinda "not acting aboveboard."  Why would we sit back and allow Brian to be mistreated in any way and say nothing?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »

There's a real Yoko kind of sexism to this stuff about Melinda. It grates.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »

Agreed, Melinda has been a positive influence on Brian's life, the suspicion against her is baseless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »

Melinda is dragged through the mud too much around here. BW is his own man with a wonderful wife supporting him.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2016, 04:07:42 PM »

Melinda is dragged through the mud too much around here. BW is his own man with a wonderful wife supporting him.
Indeed, everyone needs someone to support them from time to time, especially someone like Brian.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2016, 01:34:29 AM »

Yep. Much like with Yoko, it's a way of making sure you can keep a perfect image of a male rock star, by blaming anything you don't like about his decisions on his wife.
Those who know Brian say he's happy with her, and that really is all that matters.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »

Yep. Much like with Yoko, it's a way of making sure you can keep a perfect image of a male rock star, by blaming anything you don't like about his decisions on his wife.
Those who know Brian say he's happy with her, and that really is all that matters.

I wonder what the people would say to John Fogerty whose wife has a similar big influence on him and his solo career of the last twenty years as Melinda. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2016, 06:25:48 AM »

I wonder what the people would say to John Fogerty whose wife has a similar big influence on him and his solo career of the last twenty years as Melinda. 

Almost certainly the same things. It happens with every rock star whose wife has an influence on their career -- Lennon, of course, but people said similar things about Linda McCartney (til she died and became an untouchable saint), Courtney Love... Zappa fans say similar things about his widow (again, I wonder if that'll stop now she's dead), Monkees fans said it about Davy Jones' wife in 2011...

Some of it might be true, even. I've never met Melinda, or Yoko, or any of the rest. Any one individual among them might be horrible. But there's a common pattern to these stories of controlling wives, and the more someone's image fits that pattern, the more likely I am to believe that the image is being distorted to fit...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »

Sorry for steering this conversation further afield, but I wonder what are the predominant narratives around male spouses with relatively high profiles among fans of female artists. Are they similarly negative? Differently negative? Positive? Off the top of my head I can't think of many. Wasn't Mariah Carey married to her manager? Or Shania Twain to producer Mutt Lange? Where those men seen as positive influences, or svengali, or meddling and controlling men?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2016, 10:00:29 AM »

In Mariah Carey's case,  the answer is yes.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »

Sorry for steering this conversation further afield, but I wonder what are the predominant narratives around male spouses with relatively high profiles among fans of female artists. Are they similarly negative? Differently negative? Positive? Off the top of my head I can't think of many. Wasn't Mariah Carey married to her manager? Or Shania Twain to producer Mutt Lange? Where those men seen as positive influences, or svengali, or meddling and controlling men?
I'll spend some time thinking about this, because it's an interesting question to me. There are significantly more famous husband/managers than wife/managers that I know of. I'm guessing that because husband/manager is not as uncommon, opinions are based more on the actual actions than on the fact of the role. I'd also guess that husbands who do not act as actual managers or producers are not considered to be 'interfering bitches' when they impact or express opinions regarding their wives' career choices as regularly as wives are. But I don't know and am curious enough to look into it. I'll be back.
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »

I'll be back.

Don't hurry........
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »

Okay, since I've been mentioned here in previous posts, please explain to me why I, or anyone else named as an "insider," would lie about Melinda "not acting aboveboard."  Why would we sit back and allow Brian to be mistreated in any way and say nothing?

Just to get back to my point since this thread has meandered into celebrity spouses, why has no one answered my question?  Where did the "Kid" go? 

My question was pretty direct.  Why would anyone who clearly has loved Brian for decades (like all of his friends posting here), cover up for someone who wasn't acting in his best interests? Those of us I know have nothing to lose by telling the truth.  So we do.  Any more questions?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »

I'll be back.

Don't hurry........

That's pretty rude.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:27 PM »

Just to get back to my point since this thread has meandered into celebrity spouses, why has no one answered my question?  Where did the "Kid" go? 

My question was pretty direct.  Why would anyone who clearly has loved Brian for decades (like all of his friends posting here), cover up for someone who wasn't acting in his best interests? Those of us I know have nothing to lose by telling the truth.  So we do.  Any more questions?

Again, although I appreciate all the attempts to move the thread away from my question, quite pertinent to the book, I think.  Why would we do such a thing?  Now what are you anti-Brian/anti-Melinda people going to do to change the subject?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »

+1
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2016, 04:53:10 PM »

This "how dare SJS" sentiment is puzzling. There's topics he comes back to, and he says things that annoy some people. But hey, I've just endured the Love-Vegas thread where 5 or 6 posters pile up crap comment upon crap comment on Mike Love. These crocodile tears on SJS seem laughable.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

EoL

All I'm going to say is you'd feel a bit embarrassed if you know who told me.  I'm not even sure why you posting here to be honest.  The vast majority of your posts the past couple years is just you arguing with people.  Before that, you made some really nice posts and I enjoyed listening to the music you made.

Okay.  So tell me who this incredible "insider" is who told you that Melinda isn't "above board."  I really want to know.  I'm fairly certain that Brian's attorneys and medical team aren't stupid enough to give inside info to some juvenile poster on a message board.  I feel equally certain that it wasn't Jean Sievers, Melinda or Brian.  So tell me who this person is who will make me feel so embarrassed to have questioned their inside info.

And the next person who makes some idiotic sexist comment about my "whining" or "crying" I'm going to want to hunt down like a dog.  I am not whimpering here.  I want a straight answer - for once - to all of the snide BS about Melinda, Brian's management and all of his real friends.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »

From all I know about Melinda, she's the best thing that's happened for Brian in a LONG time.  From quotes in the Priore book, we have a lot to thank her for in regards to SMiLE being finished.  I have no idea what she's done to deserve being dragged through the mud.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx