gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:38:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book released October 11th  (Read 60375 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »

It's a bad idea to release BW's book close in time to the release of Mike Love's book.  The average book buyer is not going to buy two Beach Boys books within the space of a few months.  Wait until 2017.

I don't think the average book buyer is going to buy Mike Love's book. So I guess there's no problem from Brian's publisher's side

The average book buyer isn't going to buy either of them. The likes of you and I will, and anyone with an interest in pop history. Joe Q. Public ? Nope.

Hopefully there is no fear, with Mike's 'book' being released to the public first, that Brian will feel like he was beaten to the punch and, as a result, abandon the book idea...leaving it lying on some distant shelf somewhere for 40 + years claiming that he burned the manuscript. Wink

If the original gameplan had played out, Brian's book would have been out for something like five months now.

Ben Greenman? Last I heard Ray was doing the book with Brian. There was also talk of this being an oral biography of Brian last year, but the word "memoir" indicates that idea was ditched.

Brian's book was always going to be an autobiography, so nothing's changed there. As for Ray writing it. I'm pretty sure that was a misunderstanding in the one interview where it was mentioned. As I recall, Ray was some amused by that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:29:36 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »

Strange things can happen with "autobiographies." I remember reading that Billy Joel had signed to do one, and then awhile later it was canceled.

Then a few months back I was reading through an okay-ish, breezy bio on Joel, and later discovered it was done by the author that had started to work on the "autobiography" with Joel. I guess the guy took the interviews he had done and worked it into a biography, which explains how the book was kind of inconsequential and lacking in detail, but with strangely *a lot* of new, direct interview quotes with Joel. If the "autobiography" was going to be as light and non-substantive as this book turned out to be, it's a good thing they canceled it I guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »

"My life has been written about over and over again, and that’s mostly okay with me. Other people can talk about my life. Sometimes they’ll get it right and sometimes they’ll get it wrong. For me, when I think back across my own life, there are so many things that are painful. Sometimes I don’t like discussing them. Sometimes I don’t even like remembering them. But as I get older, the shape of that pain has changed. Sometimes memories come back to me when I least expect them. Maybe that’s the only way it works when you’ve lived the life I’ve lived: starting a band with my brothers that was managed by my father, watching my father become difficult and then impossible, watching myself become difficult and then impossible, watching women I loved come and go, watching children come into the world, watching my brothers get older, watching them pass out of the world. Some of those things shaped me. Others scarred me. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference. When I watched my father fly into a rage and take swings at me and my brothers, was that shaping or scarring? When we watched him grow frustrated with his day job and take solace in music, was that shaping or scarring? Those are all memories but I can’t get to them all at once. I’ve had a whole lifetime to take them in. Now I have a whole book to put them out there."

So, does anyone know the process in which they hammered out this book? I can't see Brian, sitting for a couple of hours a day and waxing poetically about his life. I look forward to reading this, but I already bought and read one biography that wasn't real.  Oh ya and looking forward to some genius on Clown action Grin

Brian was able to to a good job with Love and Mercy, no reason why he can't do the same with this.  I'm looking forward to it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:28 AM »

"My life has been written about over and over again, and that’s mostly okay with me. Other people can talk about my life. Sometimes they’ll get it right and sometimes they’ll get it wrong. For me, when I think back across my own life, there are so many things that are painful. Sometimes I don’t like discussing them. Sometimes I don’t even like remembering them. But as I get older, the shape of that pain has changed. Sometimes memories come back to me when I least expect them. Maybe that’s the only way it works when you’ve lived the life I’ve lived: starting a band with my brothers that was managed by my father, watching my father become difficult and then impossible, watching myself become difficult and then impossible, watching women I loved come and go, watching children come into the world, watching my brothers get older, watching them pass out of the world. Some of those things shaped me. Others scarred me. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference. When I watched my father fly into a rage and take swings at me and my brothers, was that shaping or scarring? When we watched him grow frustrated with his day job and take solace in music, was that shaping or scarring? Those are all memories but I can’t get to them all at once. I’ve had a whole lifetime to take them in. Now I have a whole book to put them out there."

So, does anyone know the process in which they hammered out this book? I can't see Brian, sitting for a couple of hours a day and waxing poetically about his life. I look forward to reading this, but I already bought and read one biography that wasn't real.  Oh ya and looking forward to some genius on Clown action Grin

Brian was able to to a good job with Love and Mercy
, no reason why he can't do the same with this.  I'm looking forward to it.

The song... the movie... ? Confused.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »

The movie of course.  Meaning he got through it, didn't cancel/bail out/freak out or do anything to derail it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »

I'm not expecting anything great from Brian's book. I hope he is more involved in it than he was the first one, but won't be surprised if he's not. In fact, I won't be surprised if this book comes off like WIBN take 2, with Melinda as the savior instead of Landy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 06:35:46 AM »

...I won't be surprised if this book comes off like WIBN take 2, with Melinda as the savior instead of Landy.

I'm EXPECTING that.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 07:24:39 AM »

Sheriff, I think it's time you turned in your badge.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »

LOL  Well...at the very least he needs to wipe the drool off of it.  These 'guys' who ignorantly label Melinda as the new Landy are such dinks.  There's an old saying.  It goes "Behind every successful man stands a great woman."  THAT'S what's happened here.  And it has for a long, LONG time.  Look at the strides.  Look at the successes.

Look to make sure there's water in the pool before you dive.  Ray and Deb aren't lying.  The insiders aren't guessing.  They KNOW.  Obviously Sheriff and Lonely know s.f.a.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »

I suppose it could be similar in that it's crediting someone with helping him get back on his feet and live in the world but this time it would be true.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 08:40:08 AM »

Exactly! Not the drivel the sheriff is hinting at.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »

LOL  Well...at the very least he needs to wipe the drool off of it.  These 'guys' who ignorantly label Melinda as the new Landy are such dinks.  There's an old saying.  It goes "Behind every successful man stands a great woman."  THAT'S what's happened here.  And it has for a long, LONG time.  Look at the strides.  Look at the successes.

Look to make sure there's water in the pool before you dive.  Ray and Deb aren't lying.  The insiders aren't guessing.  They KNOW.  Obviously Sheriff and Lonely know s.f.a.

Thanks, Lee, for taking care of this latest absurd comment by this consistently anti-Brian, anti-Melinda, humorless poster.  It's become a complete bore, I must say.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:15 AM »

Thanks, Lee, for taking care of this latest absurd comment by this consistently anti-Brian, anti-Melinda, humorless poster.  It's become a complete bore, I must say.

In reading yet another quip from SJS something ironic occurred to me: the origin of anti-Mike Love sentiment and the origin of the anti-Brian Wilson sentiment share one and the same source, namely the very words of Mike Love himself.  The difference is that the anti-Brian sentiment is largely hearsay* (unsupported comments made by Mike about Brian and Melinda that are then parroted by his followers) while the anti-Mike sentiment goes back the man himself (Mike says things that people can analyze and criticize for themselves).

*I say "largely hearsay" because some of it is true.  Brian did do drugs, he does suffer from mental illness, Melinda does help him.  These things are all factual.  But the spin, that Brian is being controlled by Melinda in a Landy-like fashion and that he is still being over-medicated as he was under Landy, is based on statements from Mike which these guys parrot without verification, PMs from a biased AGD trying to persuade some to the contrary not withstanding (who I suspect knows less about Brian's current state than he thinks).

All in all I find it humorous, more than anything, that SJS (and the others, they know who they are) has built his online persona (at least in this board) on hearsay, and then makes claims boldly and frequently in the hopes they will be taken for fact.  Until he provides evidence to counter the claims of the insiders on this board (Ray, for example, assuming he bothers to post here anymore) I hope that the rest of you will take the comments for what they are worth, nothing.

EoL

Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »

What she just said Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »

SS board just shot the sheriff! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 10:21:33 AM »

SS board just shot the sheriff! Cool
Why don't he leave us alone?

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »

LOL loving your Bruce quote in your profile as well! LOL

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »

LOL loving your Bruce quote in your profile as well! LOL
Thanks, I only choose the best™ and most Historical© Johnston quotes.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »

SJS is a nice guy and a big Beach Boys fan. There's no reason to pile on the insults every time he (or anyone else) comments in a way people don't like, even if some of his (or anyone else's) opinions or assumptions may be wrong. You're tired of his positions? Fine, I'm sure he's tired of yours. Somewhere there is actual truth, and it's most likely few to none of us know that anyway.

OK, back to the General Music and Sandbox forums for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2016, 12:28:27 PM »

SJS is a nice guy and a big Beach Boys fan. There's no reason to pile on the insults every time he (or anyone else) comments in a way people don't like, even if some of his (or anyone else's) opinions or assumptions may be wrong. You're tired of his positions? Fine, I'm sure he's tired of yours. Somewhere there is actual truth, and it's most likely few to none of us know that anyway.

Agreed.  It's really a bore reading the same people whine about the posts he and other people make.  Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?  Roll Eyes (Before someone accuses me of accusing Melinda of what I just said, settle down because I'm not)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »

Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to stay as mod if that were the case.  It's one of the reasons why I couldn't be on any of the Scott Weiland groups, having known what was really going on with him. I'm still here, and not going anywhere (health permitting)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »

Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to stay as mod if that were the case.  It's one of the reasons why I couldn't be on any of the Scott Weiland groups, having known what was really going on with him. I'm still here, and not going anywhere (health permitting)

Well we're all glad to have you here, Billy!  Grin

It just bugs me when people say someone is wrong because an insider said differently.  If it really was like a WIBN 2, they're not going to tell us. 
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »

Agreed.  It's really a bore reading the same people whine about the posts he and other people make.  Plus, if Melinda or anyone else close to Brian was not acting aboveboard, does anyone really think they'd tell us?  Roll Eyes (Before someone accuses me of accusing Melinda of what I just said, settle down because I'm not)

You may not being saying this *now*, but you have said it in the past, and more than once.  For example, when Lonely Summer posted the following:

"I think Mike probably feels that Melinda, and Brian's "handlers", have limited his access to Brian in recent years - specifically his request to be alone in a room with his cousin to write songs. In that respect, it's no different than the Landy years. But the rest of you probably have a different take on this situation. Probably."

You replied by saying:

"I think there's definitely some truth to this.  Mike isn't the only one who has had this opinion."

Here is the link, in case you have forgotten:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22013.msg524114.html#msg524114

You've also stated that you had a conversation with an insider who persuaded you that Brian is presently controlled by Melinda in a Landy-esque way.  So please cut the crap and at least have the decency to admit your position, even SJS does that.

EoL

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

You may not being saying this *now*, but you have said it in the past, and more than once.  For example, when Lonely Summer posted the following:

"I think Mike probably feels that Melinda, and Brian's "handlers", have limited his access to Brian in recent years - specifically his request to be alone in a room with his cousin to write songs. In that respect, it's no different than the Landy years. But the rest of you probably have a different take on this situation. Probably."

You replied by saying:

"I think there's definitely some truth to this.  Mike isn't the only one who has had this opinion."

Here is the link, in case you have forgotten:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22013.msg524114.html#msg524114

You've also stated that you had a conversation with an insider who persuaded you that Brian is presently controlled by Melinda in a Landy-esque way.  So please cut the crap and at least have the decency to admit your position, even SJS does that.

EoL

That last part isn't what I said at all.  So how about you cut the crap and quit trolling like you always do.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx