gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:34:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book released October 11th  (Read 60077 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2016, 01:23:46 AM »

I don't think public guessing, with the potential of dragging uninvolved people's names though the mud, is nice.

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations. I get that it's a way to try to shut down an argument but it's counterproductive and doesn't advance any discussions. There's a way for users to indulge in their private Brianistas -vs- Loveites dogpiles (although I have no idea what joy any fans can possibly take from that) without crossing the line.

Amen.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:49 AM »

I don't think public guessing, with the potential of dragging uninvolved people's names though the mud, is nice.
For your private guessing pleasure, I will point out that Cincinnati Kid's "we all like" comment was referring to his intermediate source, not the original.

Yeah, you're right. Apologies to all. DElete the post, Billy, please.
You didn't raise any names. I couldn't tell who you were guessing. I wouldn't worry about it.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »

rab:  It wasn't AGD.  It's someone I think all of us like very much.  If he wants to reveal his name he can, but if not, I understand that too.  We both now know the info we received is incorrect and that's all that matters to me at this point. 

So if you got bad information, who gave all of you the bad information to begin with? And if the information is bad, why doesn't the person responsible correct it here?

Who knows how many people this false information was spread to...I think the best course of action is to make the correction public so we all get the facts straight.
Mods,
I know you want to move this thread along and you're right to, except one thng: I don't think it's right to publicly speculate on who the source was; and I know you're working on things; but some false information was spread, but it hasn't been said what that information was. If someone other than The Cincinnati Kid received that information, they may not have connected it with this discussion and they may still believe it to be true. I think it would be appropriate for C Kid to specify what the information was so that the public influence the information has had can be corrected.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2016, 06:57:54 AM »

I can't help but find it anything other than deeply amusing that the poster doing the lion's share of the stirring is someone who recently flounced off in hugely public manner, vowing never to return. Epic fail.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »

Too many potentially good threads devolve into either Mike v Brian or Love-kicking fests, and I know that frustrates the majority of posters here.

This board has become a depressing place.

I would really like to return this back to the discussion of Brian's upcoming book.

You can forget about that right away. No hope. When Mike's book come out, better shut down the whole board for 3-4 months, put up just a sign: "Back January 1st 2017".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KDS
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »

This X1000.

In the interest of fairness, neither is the potentially libelous accusation that certain users are "on Mike's payroll" or part of a secret cabal. That accusation has been bandied about numerous times on this board with none of the accusers having a shred of evidence that any of it is true, nor have they been held accountable for those accusations. I get that it's a way to try to shut down an argument but it's counterproductive and doesn't advance any discussions. There's a way for users to indulge in their private Brianistas -vs- Loveites dogpiles (although I have no idea what joy any fans can possibly take from that) without crossing the line.

Speaking as one routinely accused of being on Mike's payroll since late September 2012 (and it's odd that I've been a cheerleader for Brian since summer 1975 without once being equally accused...), it doesn't bother me personally* - equally because I know that's not the case, and because those yelling the loudest are generally considered figures of fun and ridicule - but it does annoy because it derails the overall exchange. Can't argue with a closed mind. Too many potentially good threads devolve into either Mike v Brian or Love-kicking fests, and I know that frustrates the majority of posters here. It's no coincidence that several noted contributors have been silent for some time.

As for the current "sources" farrago... unnecessary, on several levels. If you have sources, don't flaunt them unless you can name them. All rather unedifying.

[* granted, the judicious application of The Hickey Script has aided immeasurably]

Yes!!!  The Mike v Brian stuff does get very old.  I think I'm going to stay away for awhile after Sept 13th.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:47 AM »

Huh  A poster has said he has been told false information that has to do with Melinda. It's been implied that that false information has been received by other posters as well. It's not anti-Mike to want anti-Melinda gossip cleared up.  I don't understand thinking that trying to clear up misinformation is either depressing or stirring things up. I'd rather think that someone spreading misinformation, if done intentionally, is depressing and stirring. If accidentally, then that's not to be blamed, but not bothering to clean up your mess is.
Is it wrong for me to want to separate facts from gossip? Don't you guys want to do the same?
I fully understand wanting to put the topic to rest, but that's hard to do when there's a big question mark about the credibility of what we're reading.
KDS
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

Huh  A poster has said he has been told false information that has to do with Melinda. It's been implied that that false information has been received by other posters as well. It's not anti-Mike to want anti-Melinda gossip cleared up.  I don't understand thinking that trying to clear up misinformation is either depressing or stirring things up. I'd rather think that someone spreading misinformation, if done intentionally, is depressing and stirring. If accidentally, then that's not to be blamed, but not bothering to clean up your mess is.
Is it wrong for me to want to separate facts from gossip? Don't you guys want to do the same?
I fully understand wanting to put the topic to rest, but that's hard to do when there's a big question mark about the credibility of what we're reading.

Emily,

I can understand trying to clear up the ridiculous anti-Melinda stuff. 

But, I'm agreeing with AGD in general, about how many threads eventually devolve into Mike Love bashing.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:07 AM »

Emily,

I can understand trying to clear up the ridiculous anti-Melinda stuff. 

But, I'm agreeing with AGD in general, about how many threads eventually devolve into Mike Love bashing.
Fair enough.
KDS
« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2016, 07:41:39 AM »

But, getting back on topic, I'm not sure how anyone can say that Melinda's presence in Brian's life has been anything but positive.  And I'm sure the book will reflect that. 
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »

I am a relative newbie on this board and I have learned so much about my beloved Beach Boys from all the knowledgeable posters.  With that being said.....I do admit that I tend to gloss over/speed read through all the Brian vs. Mike mud slinging.  We all probably have our somewhat 'favorite' Beach Boy, and that is as it should be.   But, seriously?  Can't we all learn a lesson from Carl Wilson (my fav) and Brian Wilson?  It's called accepting people for who they are.  Each Beach Boy brought SOMETHING to the band or they wouldn't have been there.  It's not like they were afraid to fire people -- including their own family members when needed.  If you can't stand Mike, try to emulate Brian.  He has moved on with his own life, his own band, and doesn't appear to waste his precious time harboring any ill feelings or negative thoughts.  

I work in a public school system and we have a general rule of thumb:  We don't respond to 'anonymous' complaints from people.  If it is a valid enough point and , the person is being honest, and they want a response, they should provide their name.  Same should pertain on this board when it comes to rumors and innuendos.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »

I'm sort of sorry to have brought it back up, but it was itching the back of my brain. I should have put my above comment in a PM to the mods and let the thread go on on the original topic. I will do so from now on.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »

Too many potentially good threads devolve into either Mike v Brian or Love-kicking fests, and I know that frustrates the majority of posters here.

This board has become a depressing place.

I would really like to return this back to the discussion of Brian's upcoming book.

You can forget about that right away. No hope. When Mike's book come out, better shut down the whole board for 3-4 months, put up just a sign: "Back January 1st 2017".

Micha - The sign could say "Gone Fishin'"  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:04 AM »

Brian's book will be, at the very worst, roughly ten orders of magnitude better than the 1991 mess. Will it be interesting to all here ? Of course. Will it be a totally balanced recounting of his life to date ? Of course not: no autobiography since the invention of the genre has been that. I'm fascinated to see what it'll be like, and how it's received here, just as I will be for Mike's book, given the same caveats. Going to be an interesting fall.

KDS
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »

Brian's book will be, at the very worst, roughly ten orders of magnitude better than the 1991 mess. Will it be interesting to all here ? Of course. Will it be a totally balanced recounting of his life to date ? Of course not: no autobiography since the invention of the genre has been that. I'm fascinated to see what it'll be like, and how it's received here, just as I will be for Mike's book, given the same caveats. Going to be an interesting fall.

I'll be interested to see if Landy's......er..um....Brian's 1991 book will even get a mention Brian's forthcoming book. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2016, 09:17:35 AM »

The handling of the whole Landy II period will be fascinating. I'm also wondering if the other 2004 album will rate a mention...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »

Same for the post Kokomo ego trip and SIP in Mike's book. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »

The handling of the whole Landy II period will be fascinating. I'm also wondering if the other 2004 album will rate a mention...

I would be interested to know more biographical information on Landy himself. Maybe someone will write a bio of him someday. Yes, he was a giant creep (who perhaps initially had a few positive attributes that were blotted out by his own insanity and greed), but what made him that way? Maybe it's a bizarre story/person to be curious about their history, but then again, I find it fascinating to watch documentaries about serial killers.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »

I would be interested to know more biographical information on Landy himself. Maybe someone will write a bio of him someday. Yes, he was a giant creep (who perhaps initially had a few positive attributes that were blotted out by his own insanity and greed), but what made him that way? Maybe it's a bizarre story/person to be curious about their history, but then again, I find it fascinating to watch documentaries about serial killers.
Not much out there. George Benson's autobiography has a half-dozen pages depicting a young Gene Landy on the make.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a retelling of vomiting on Ralph's shoes. Thud
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

Not much out there. George Benson's autobiography has a half-dozen pages depicting a young Gene Landy on the make.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, Emily. I'll have to check that out. I suppose the full story of why ol' Land-O'Lakes became the guy he was may remain a mystery.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:37:06 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »

The 1986 Gaines book has a little more detail on him.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »

The 1986 Gaines book has a little more detail on him.

I've got to re-read that book too. It's been ages.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

Say what you may about Landy (and there is indeed much negative aspects to him), however I wonder if Brian would still be blessing our world with his presence without Landy.

Make waves, not love
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »

Say what you may about Landy (and there is indeed much negative aspects to him), however I wonder if Brian would still be blessing our world with his presence without Landy.
Landy was just as responsible for Brian almost ceasing to bless our world by overloading him with pills.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx