gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:43:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Book released October 11th  (Read 60094 times)
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Brian-Wilson-Memoir/dp/0306823063/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459276337&sr=1-3&keywords=brian+wilson

No promotion on Facebook or anything yet, they must have just slipped this one out.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:34:47 AM by freedomaspirer » Logged
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »

It'd be hilarious if Mike and Brian's books were written exactly the same, but from the opposite perspective, with the exception of Brian dedicating a chapter solely to Be My Baby and Mike Love dedicating a chapter to Kokomo.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

"My life has been written about over and over again, and that’s mostly okay with me. Other people can talk about my life. Sometimes they’ll get it right and sometimes they’ll get it wrong. For me, when I think back across my own life, there are so many things that are painful. Sometimes I don’t like discussing them. Sometimes I don’t even like remembering them. But as I get older, the shape of that pain has changed. Sometimes memories come back to me when I least expect them. Maybe that’s the only way it works when you’ve lived the life I’ve lived: starting a band with my brothers that was managed by my father, watching my father become difficult and then impossible, watching myself become difficult and then impossible, watching women I loved come and go, watching children come into the world, watching my brothers get older, watching them pass out of the world. Some of those things shaped me. Others scarred me. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference. When I watched my father fly into a rage and take swings at me and my brothers, was that shaping or scarring? When we watched him grow frustrated with his day job and take solace in music, was that shaping or scarring? Those are all memories but I can’t get to them all at once. I’ve had a whole lifetime to take them in. Now I have a whole book to put them out there."

So, does anyone know the process in which they hammered out this book? I can't see Brian, sitting for a couple of hours a day and waxing poetically about his life. I look forward to reading this, but I already bought and read one biography that wasn't real.  Oh ya and looking forward to some genius on Clown action Grin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »

Tis a shame we lost Jason Fine, his work with Brian on the Rolling Stone stuff was so good.  Ben Greenman, anyone?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »

I thought Ray was writing this with Brian??
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »

The Jason Fine "Rolling Stone" article on C50 from 2012 remains, along with the posts on this board from Howie Edelson, the definitive pieces of writing on C50. I always wished Fine could have gone back and extended his piece with the fallout from the aftermath of the tour. Based on Fine's articles, it sounded like a good choice.

Don't know about the new guy, but some article a little while back mentioned Ray Lawlor was helping Brian in some capacity as well (research?, organizing thoughts?), so that bodes well.

I feel like both "autobiographies" are probably going to be more like "authorized biographies" written in the first person.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »

"My life has been written about over and over again, and that’s mostly okay with me. Other people can talk about my life. Sometimes they’ll get it right and sometimes they’ll get it wrong. For me, when I think back across my own life, there are so many things that are painful. Sometimes I don’t like discussing them. Sometimes I don’t even like remembering them. But as I get older, the shape of that pain has changed. Sometimes memories come back to me when I least expect them. Maybe that’s the only way it works when you’ve lived the life I’ve lived: starting a band with my brothers that was managed by my father, watching my father become difficult and then impossible, watching myself become difficult and then impossible, watching women I loved come and go, watching children come into the world, watching my brothers get older, watching them pass out of the world. Some of those things shaped me. Others scarred me. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference. When I watched my father fly into a rage and take swings at me and my brothers, was that shaping or scarring? When we watched him grow frustrated with his day job and take solace in music, was that shaping or scarring? Those are all memories but I can’t get to them all at once. I’ve had a whole lifetime to take them in. Now I have a whole book to put them out there."

I wonder who wrote that ^ for Brian? I hope somebody tells him...
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »

Why do you always have to do that,

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »

Agreed Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »

I doubt Brian personally typed that. But so what? You do realize that autobiography "co-writers" actually do most of the writing? Often or usually all of it, in terms of the literal pen-to-paper (or typing)?

Also, people typically have a different "literary voice" than their speaking voice, even Brian. I don't speak exactly the same as I write.

Mike's Facebook posts, which I'm going to assume he does actually write, don't sound exactly the same as he does in interviews. It's his "literary voice" or "writer's voice." Whatever you want to call it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »

That sort of promotional blurb is usually written by someone hired by the publisher.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »

[/quot

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes What an incredibly dumb statement. But we're all assured that myKe luHv wrote every word in his, huh? Get real.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »

This is awfully ironic coming from a guy whose posts generally read as if they are written at the behest of Mike Love.

EoL

Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:12:01 AM »

Another Brian book coming out?

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

Another Brian book coming out?

The difference?  Brian will actually participate in providing this book's content.  In fact he already has.  October 11th then...I will lift my ban on reading about 'the story'.  I just don't want to support [with even 1 dollar] those who I feel are but sad and negative forces in terms of my enjoyment of this continuing story and the unfolding successes acruing from it...especially the NEW music and the people who "make it Charlie".

This musical body of work is to be celebrated and enjoyed.  The accomplishments ... to be admired.  The reality of creativity is inspirational each and every time.  To bitch and moan and complain about it constantly...or to wallow in the glory of past untoward deeds...does NOT add to the true fact that this sojourn is still an amazing voyage not a 'festival' for the self-made pitiful remnants of the well known bumps along the path.  It's about survival and rising UP...and not those selfish 'downers' who only seem to care about their wallets.

It's about who I choose to support with my time, my money and my RESPECT. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:07 AM »

To be honest, the best I hope for with these sorts of books is, if we're REALLY lucky, is an interesting or charming or humorous take with some fun anecdotes, maybe some more info on the early years that most books don't cover, and maybe some filling-in of episodes that aren't well-documented in any detail (e.g. C50).

Really, the stunning, revelatory books are going to be the Mark Lewisohn-type of books, things like James Murphy's "Becoming the Beach Boys." Well-written and deeply-researched books that delve into the nuts and bolts of the story, both the nerdy, technical side of things and the inter-personal stuff.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Interesting statement. When I read it, I was surprised how much it sounded like Brian to my ears (...eyes?). Only of course stretched out or filled up by his co-author.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »

Once a Troll always a Troll...
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »

I think it'd be interesting if SJS elaborated on what he thinks of modern-day Brian Wilson. It seems that he thinks he is incapable of making new music, writing his own thoughts or making his own decisions. He seems to think of him as something close to a brain-damaged vegetable. And instead of hinting at it with snark, I think he should own up to what he's been saying lately.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 12:52:16 PM »

To be honest, the best I hope for with these sorts of books is, if we're REALLY lucky, is an interesting or charming or humorous take with some fun anecdotes, maybe some more info on the early years that most books don't cover, and maybe some filling-in of episodes that aren't well-documented in any detail (e.g. C50).

This is spot on. I'm hoping for the best from both books and this is probably best case scenario.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »

Ben Greenman? Last I heard Ray was doing the book with Brian. There was also talk of this being an oral biography of Brian last year, but the word "memoir" indicates that idea was ditched. As others have stated, I don't expect much from either Mike or Brian's books, but it seems odd that it's gone through three ghost writers by now.

And before anyone has a cow, nearly all celeb bios are ghostwritten. It's not a slam on either Brian or Mike. I would expect them to use ghostwriters.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »

It's a bad idea to release BW's book close in time to the release of Mike Love's book.  The average book buyer is not going to buy two Beach Boys books within the space of a few months.  Wait until 2017.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

It's a bad idea to release BW's book close in time to the release of Mike Love's book.  The average book buyer is not going to buy two Beach Boys books within the space of a few months.  Wait until 2017.

I don't think the average book buyer is going to buy Mike Love's book. So I guess there's no problem from Brian's publisher's side

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »

I don't know how Mike's book will fare, but there is likely to be a substantial amount of publicity attached to it.  Especially if Mike writes some salacious stuff.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »

Hopefully there is no fear, with Mike's 'book' being released to the public first, that Brian will feel like he was beaten to the punch and, as a result, abandon the book idea...leaving it lying on some distant shelf somewhere for 40 + years claiming that he burned the manuscript. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx