gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:51:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love book out in September  (Read 62035 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »

I prefer "Waves of Love" to "Daybreak", though I never saw a huge value in adding "Waves" to the BB album since Al had already released it on his reissue of his solo album.

I'm not a huge advocate for needing "Waves" on the album, but it's an interesting illustration of how Mike seems off-put due to lack of involvement in TWGMTR, even though Al got far less involvement.

Mike gets a solo song flown in and several co-writes. Meanwhile, Al has his one song almost comically rejected by Brian. And who comes out bent out of shape and complaining about lack of input on the album after C50 is over? Mike, not Al.

And who continues to work with Brian even after having his song rejected? Al.

I've yet to see an interview where Mike laments Al, or Bruce or Dave for that matter, not getting any songwriting input on TWGMTR.

There's also the quote, which I guess has to weighed accordingly knowing little about the guy, from Larry Dvoskin saying:

“Mike 1000% c*ck blocked Al Jardine & Bruce from having any of their songs on the record out of self interest.”
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:02:41 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »

There's also the quote, which I guess has to weighed accordingly knowing little about the guy, from Larry Dvoskin saying:

“Mike 1000% c*ck blocked Al Jardine & Bruce from having any of their songs on the record out of self interest.”

One can be nearly absolutely certain that the above subject will be completely ignored in Mike's book, in contrast to the almost sure bet that Mike will complain (and expect widespread sympathy) about how he himself was so unfairly treated during the same album's songwriting process.  If Mike's gonna complain, I wish he'd just outright state that he deserves special treatment, as I assume he feels.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:24:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »

One can be nearly absolutely certain that the above subject will be completely ignored in Mike's book, in contrast to the almost sure bet that Mike will complain (and expect widespread sympathy) about how he himself was so unfairly treated during the same album's songwriting process.  If Mike's gonna complain, I wish he'd just outright state that he deserves special treatment, as I assume he feels.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in having band members pursue power moves to have their own work presented on a long-awaited reunion album. Although I have my own personal bias regarding Mike, there's nothing going on that wouldn't occur within any mega-group reunion.

What I DO have issue with is the lack of empathy, a mea culpa if you will, regards to the wishes of his fellow band mates. Not unexpected, in fact most expected in this biz, but a little soul searching revelation (in the book) might just make the codger come off a tad less mercenary. My money is that there will be no mention of any behind the scenes maneuvers.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:47:40 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »

There's nothing out of the ordinary in having band members pursue power moves to have their own work presented on a long-awaited reunion album. Although I have my own personal bias regarding Mike, there's nothing going on that wouldn't occur within any mega-group reunion.

What I DO have issue with is the lack of empathy, a mea culpa if you will, regards to the wishes of his fellow band mates. Not unexpected, in fact most expected in this biz, but a little soul searching revelation (in the book) might just make the codger come off a tad less mercenary. My money is that there will be no mention of any behind the scenes maneuvers.

True, in a reunion, the behind-the-scenes power maneuvering is probably expected, in many groups like this. And yes, it's usually kept quiet and not publicly repeatedly talked about by the members. The odd thing here is that Mike breaks the norm by calling attention to the entire power structure by repeatedly and incessantly complaining about his own treatment during the making of the album, while ignoring the other members who Mike himself apparently  "c*ck blocked". It's like, if you're gonna c*ck block other people to achieve your own self-interests on a particular project, it's probably best to do it quietly, and unwise to repeatedly draw public attention to the inner workings of that same project unless you've acted decently yourself.

Truly, in my heart I feel that Mike insults the intelligence of BB fans, as though nobody would think to wonder Al who apparently suffered c*ck blocking at the hands of Mike on the very same project... while Mike just happens to be the only guy complaining about being c*ck blocked himself. It's very, very hard to empathize with Mike with this kind of hypocrisy.   I suppose Mike only does this because he can, since reporters don't seem to call him out on it or ask questions about Al's contributions to the project (if Al's songwriting is even a topic that is allowed to be brought up by the interviewer).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:46:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »

I prefer "Waves of Love" to "Daybreak", though I never saw a huge value in adding "Waves" to the BB album since Al had already released it on his reissue of his solo album.

I'm not a huge advocate for needing "Waves" on the album, but it's an interesting illustration of how Mike seems off-put due to lack of involvement in TWGMTR, even though Al got far less involvement.

Mike gets a solo song flown in and several co-writes. Meanwhile, Al has his one song almost comically rejected by Brian. And who comes out bent out of shape and complaining about lack of input on the album after C50 is over? Mike, not Al.

I've yet to see an interview where Mike laments Al, or Bruce or Dave for that matter, not getting any songwriting input on TWGMTR.

Eagles Don Henley expressed his personal misgivings that 'Long Road Out of Eden' was a double LP, but said it was a result of everyone in the band getting songs on the album. Maybe they could have streched TWGMTR into a double...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »

Eagles Don Henley expressed his personal misgivings that 'Long Road Out of Eden' was a double LP, but said it was a result of everyone in the band getting songs on the album. Maybe they could have streched TWGMTR into a double...

I think the idea would have or could have been that TWGMTR was fine as it was (they got the deal with Capitol based on Brian/Joe songs, and only had a finite amount of time to get the album finished; several backing tracks appear to have been recorded prior to the BB deal), and if they had been able to continue on, having a few songs from the other guys would have been nice.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »

Uh... I never mentioned Alan. I doubt he'd be happy even if you managed to reanimate Carl & Dennis especially for him. Not the epitome of a happy camper...

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if we've got any examples of Al vocally holding a grudge in (say) the past decade.  In other words, ones which *fans* haven't held intently for at least as long...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »

I think the idea would have or could have been that TWGMTR was fine as it was (they got the deal with Capitol based on Brian/Joe songs, and only had a finite amount of time to get the album finished; several backing tracks appear to have been recorded prior to the BB deal), and if they had been able to continue on, having a few songs from the other guys would have been nice.

I don't know the exact timeline of how the reunion came together, but it seemed to happen very quickly. We're lucky we got an album at all. That said, I can imagine how Al felt at having his song rejected. TWGMTR felt to me like a return to pre-Smile BB's - Brian in total control, with minimal input from the other band members.
KDS
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »

I don't know the exact timeline of how the reunion came together, but it seemed to happen very quickly. We're lucky we got an album at all. That said, I can imagine how Al felt at having his song rejected. TWGMTR felt to me like a return to pre-Smile BB's - Brian in total control, with minimal input from the other band members.

I've posted this before.  But I think an entire book could be written solely on C50 - the reunion, the album, the tour, the fallout.  It could be in anthology style with input from Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Joe Thomas, Foskett, Darian, Scott Bennett, Scott Totten, etc etc.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »

I've posted this before.  But I think an entire book could be written solely on C50 - the reunion, the album, the tour, the fallout.  It could be in anthology style with input from Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Joe Thomas, Foskett, Darian, Scott Bennett, Scott Totten, etc etc.

I agree, it would be intensely interesting. But I also think, to borrow a bit of AGD's phraseology, I do think Carl and Dennis reanimating is more likely than that scenario. Which is a bummer. I think we'll get a bit more in Mike's book, but he doesn't have a good track record at just saying at least part of his deal is that he likes being his own boss. It would be a hugely humbling and simple thing for him to say, because it's something I would think many if not most people would feel.

I think some sort of C50 book, or at least a once-and-for-all true bio on the entire band, could go into the project in more detail. But there's no way all of the BBs and the backing band guys are going to agree to be interviewed and "tell-all." I don't know if anyone literally has signed non-disclosure agreements (or some variant of such), but even if they haven't, there's a track record for the guys in both Brian's and Mike's band to not go into any great detail about much of anything. Scott Totten has graciously discussed some basic things here about Mike's band like setlist thought process, things like that. But other than that pre-C50 Probyn Gregory interview that got shut down, and Nelson Bragg and John Cowsill's "Stamos moment", we haven't gotten much about what went down. I think Darian has talked a little bit about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff with Brian over the years, but still very little.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2016, 07:42:11 AM »

Will there be a deluxe version of myKe's book available with bonus chapters such as "I'm Sorry, Brian". Or "Thank You, Brian", with real myKe luHv tears running down his face in the video.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »

I agree, it would be intensely interesting. But I also think, to borrow a bit of AGD's phraseology, I do think Carl and Dennis reanimating is more likely than that scenario. Which is a bummer. I think we'll get a bit more in Mike's book, but he doesn't have a good track record at just saying at least part of his deal is that he likes being his own boss. It would be a hugely humbling and simple thing for him to say, because it's something I would think many if not most people would feel.

I think some sort of C50 book, or at least a once-and-for-all true bio on the entire band, could go into the project in more detail. But there's no way all of the BBs and the backing band guys are going to agree to be interviewed and "tell-all." I don't know if anyone literally has signed non-disclosure agreements (or some variant of such), but even if they haven't, there's a track record for the guys in both Brian's and Mike's band to not go into any great detail about much of anything. Scott Totten has graciously discussed some basic things here about Mike's band like setlist thought process, things like that. But other than that pre-C50 Probyn Gregory interview that got shut down, and Nelson Bragg and John Cowsill's "Stamos moment", we haven't gotten much about what went down. I think Darian has talked a little bit about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff with Brian over the years, but still very little.

Yep, much like a complete C50 concert on DVD, the book will never happen.  Especially since a book like that would really have limited appeal. 

A definitive bio is probably more likely, but of course, it'll only scratch the surface. 
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »

Will there be a deluxe version of myKe's book available with bonus chapters such as "I'm Sorry, Brian". Or "Thank You, Brian", with real myKe luHv tears running down his face in the video.

You actually get a box with a vial of Mike's tears. Although, after awhile, they eventually dry out.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »

What is this 'Stamos moment'?  Is that when Brian's bandmates got annoyed about Stamos's behavior at the NY gigs? Or is there something more to it?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2016, 07:03:32 AM »

You actually get a box with a vial of Mike's tears. Although, after awhile, they eventually dry out.

LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2016, 07:05:31 AM »

What is this 'Stamos moment'?  Is that when Brian's bandmates got annoyed about Stamos's behavior at the NY gigs? Or is there something more to it?

That's the beginning of the story I suppose, but a good two years later it came back up again in a more awkward, sordid fashion as depicted in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 30, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »

Mike plugging the book in this radio interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lXGIpZ2DTQ
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 30, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »

Mike plugging the book in this radio interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lXGIpZ2DTQ

No, it's myKe luHv plugging himself as usual.  Roll Eyes

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »

That's the beginning of the story I suppose, but a good two years later it came back up again in a more awkward, sordid fashion as depicted in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17981.0.html

Oh my. I missed that one. Surprising to hear Bragg so pissed off, but Stamos is such a useless muppet. 
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2016, 01:54:22 AM »

yeah, pretty much

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2016, 04:30:18 AM »

But other than that pre-C50 Probyn Gregory interview that got shut down, and Nelson Bragg and John Cowsill's "Stamos moment", we haven't gotten much about what went down.

So it's nowhere to be found... Why did it get shut down?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:06 AM »

Mike love is a piece of sh*t and you can be sure the book will either reveal it futher or attemt to gloss over it entirely. Given his own record one can only assume the latter.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:39:33 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

Well that radio interview made it fairly clear, he is going to drag up all the past problems with drug use of other members of the group.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2016, 12:55:07 PM »

Mike love is a piece of sh*t and you can be sure the book will either reveal it futher or attemt to gloss over it entirely. Given his own record one can only assume the latter.

w00t! w00t! w00t!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »

Well that radio interview made it fairly clear, he is going to drag up all the past problems with drug use of other members of the group.

And he won't forget to fully elaborate on ALL of his MAJOR contributions to ALL of Brian's songs and how they wouldn't have happened without his input. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx