gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:55:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love book out in September  (Read 62026 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »

I'm not a Mike Love fan. At the same time, I don't understand why it seems that people want to always bring it back to bashing him. A thread will start out about something, and after about a page and a half in goes into a Mike V. Brian slugfest, and usually not even about the subject at hand.  Then, people will bring it back around and try to start having conversations about whatever the thread is about, and again someone will make a couple of comments to start the bullshit all over again. I mean, I don't get it.

I think that this board should have 2 sections. A Brian Wilson section, and an Everyone Else section. I mean, these threads all end up exactly the same way, Mike V. Brian. This way, the Lovesters can hang out at their own spot, and The Brianistas or whatever they call themselves these days can hang out at their own crib.
No, we'd need a Dennis section, too, and a Carl section. I'd be in the latter area.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »

I'm not a Mike Love fan. At the same time, I don't understand why it seems that people want to always bring it back to bashing him. A thread will start out about something, and after about a page and a half in goes into a Mike V. Brian slugfest, and usually not even about the subject at hand.  Then, people will bring it back around and try to start having conversations about whatever the thread is about, and again someone will make a couple of comments to start the bullshit all over again. I mean, I don't get it.

I think that this board should have 2 sections. A Brian Wilson section, and an Everyone Else section. I mean, these threads all end up exactly the same way, Mike V. Brian. This way, the Lovesters can hang out at their own spot, and The Brianistas or whatever they call themselves these days can hang out at their own crib.
No, we'd need a Dennis section, too, and a Carl section. I'd be in the latter area.

Or maybe we really just need a minimal amount of decency and common courtesy, the ability to avoid intentionally and incessantly insulting other posters, at the very least, if not band members and their families. A lot to ask, I know...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »

Or maybe we really just need a minimal amount of decency and common courtesy, the ability to avoid intentionally and incessantly insulting other posters, at the very least, if not band members and their families. A lot to ask, I know...

Sure, except that, to a lot of people on the board, if you want to treat, say, Mike Love with decency, then obviously you love Mike and hate Brian. Which is as stupid as it sounds, but then again, there you go.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »

Let's face it. Mike and Brian have autobios scheduled for publication roughly one month apart. This is likely to be the ultimate Brian Wilson/Mike Love showdown as both put their spins on the group's history for posterity. I'll read both and comment when the time comes.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »

Being the big spender he is, I wouldn't be surprised if myKe placed a $5.00 bet with Brian that his book would outsell Brian's.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »

I enjoy seeing M and B , but over touring has it's pros and cons. I like that I get to see them and others get that, but it hasn't helped their critical claim or legacy either. It's a double edged sword
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »

Let's face it. Mike and Brian have autobios scheduled for publication roughly one month apart. This is likely to be the ultimate Brian Wilson/Mike Love showdown as both put their spins on the group's history for posterity. I'll read both and comment when the time comes.

Realistically?  Brian will sell 327,987 copies.  Mike will sell about 1,000...plus the copies he buys...bringing his total up to 251,000,

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2016, 10:03:54 PM »

I'm sure both books will sell a reasonable amount of copies, but the Brian Wilson legend has been told so many times through the decades, many fans will feel like "I know this already, why do I need to spend $25 on it?" Mike's POV has been presented many times in recent years, so it will be interesting if the book continues the tone of recent interviews, or if he actually shows show heart towards his former bandmates.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2016, 03:06:03 AM »

Not originally. Brian's book was supposed to bs published October last year.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2016, 04:18:51 AM »

Not originally. Brian's book was supposed to bs published October last year.

Yes, but as it happens the books are being published at virtually the same time. Comparisons will be inevitable. I can envision dual reviews in the media. Things will be lively around here.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:03 AM »

Only thing interesting about Mike Love is his relationships with Murry, Brian, Carl, Dennis, and Al. If he sticks with those topics, the book might be cool. Long detours into such yawners as TM, his marriages, and environmentalism could leave the book inhabiting the celebrity memoir nether regions along with 'Ice by Ice' (Vanilla Ice).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »

As I've said in the past, the book may well have more pointed, gloves-off depictions of Murry, Carl, and Dennis (and other folks no longer with us), because families/estates can't sue for libel of deceased individuals.

I'm still thinking Mike's book might be like this, given the page count and topics at hand: The pre-BB stuff will be most interesting, least inflammatory, and carry the most unique/new information. The BB stuff will, at times, veer into "Brian Wilson's story through Mike Love's eyes."

I don't think Mike has so far displayed the ability to thoughtfully and *empathetically* (or sympathetically) talk about Dennis, so while I think Mike *could* have some insightful, non-inflammatory things to say, I'm not sure we'll get a lot of it.

I don't think Al is going to get very many namechecks in *either* book, for better or worse. Mike most often namechecks Al in interviews only to point that Al along with Mike didn't do drugs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »

I don't see how Mike could write a book about the Beach Boys and not explain why Al Jardine was fired from the band.
KDS
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »

As I've said in the past, the book may well have more pointed, gloves-off depictions of Murry, Carl, and Dennis (and other folks no longer with us), because families/estates can't sue for libel of deceased individuals.

I'm still thinking Mike's book might be like this, given the page count and topics at hand: The pre-BB stuff will be most interesting, least inflammatory, and carry the most unique/new information. The BB stuff will, at times, veer into "Brian Wilson's story through Mike Love's eyes."

I don't think Mike has so far displayed the ability to thoughtfully and *empathetically* (or sympathetically) talk about Dennis, so while I think Mike *could* have some insightful, non-inflammatory things to say, I'm not sure we'll get a lot of it.

I don't think Al is going to get very many namechecks in *either* book, for better or worse. Mike most often namechecks Al in interviews only to point that Al along with Mike didn't do drugs.

I think Al's more likely to get namechecked in Brian's book, especially since just about every concert Brian has done over the last five years (including BB C50) has included Al. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »

I don't see how Mike could write a book about the Beach Boys and not explain why Al Jardine was fired from the band.

Oh, I would imagine it'll be covered. I just don't know in how much detail. I'd *love* to have more info and context about that time, as I'm one of apparently few fans confused and intrigued by that time frame.

I'm curious how much Mike's account would differ from the Marks/Stebbins book, which indicates Mike was seeking out Dave as a likely replacement for Al (which would presumably mean there was an assumption/prediction that Al would either be fired or he would quit or somehow no longer be in the band), with Carl's situation just complicating the whole thing.

What I don't anticipate, but would like to see/read, is an explanation of the actual machinations leading to Al not being in the touring band. Not just simple a "we decided to go our separate ways and do our thing" sort of explanation, but what logistical/business move came about so that Al was no longer in the band. In other words, did he quit, was he fired, or did the band essentially "break up" and then reform without inviting Al back?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:05:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2016, 09:08:20 AM »

Oh, I would imagine it'll be covered. I just don't know in how much detail. I'd *love* to have more info and context about that time, as I'm one of apparently few fans confused and intrigued by that time frame.

I'm curious how much Mike's account would differ from the Marks/Stebbins book, which indicates Mike was seeking out Dave as a likely replacement for Al (which would presumably mean there was an assumption/prediction that Al would either be fired or he would quit or somehow no longer be in the band), with Carl's situation just complicating the whole thing.

What I don't anticipate, but would like to see/read, is an explanation of the actual machinations leading to Al not being in the touring band. Not just simple a "we decided to go our separate ways and do our thing" sort of explanation, but what logistical/business move came about so that Al was no longer in the band. In other words, did he quit, was he fired, or did the band essentially "break up" and then reform without inviting Al back?

That's why I think Al would write a must read book. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »

An Al book, likely more along the lines of an "authorized biography" like the David Marks book, could and probably would be quite interesting. I just don't know if Al can ever get around to it. It took him forever just to finish one solo album. Obviously, working with a writer on a biography is not the same as recording an album, but Al sometimes seems slow to move on that sort of stuff.

On the other hand, Brian and Mike books may spur Al into doing his own. As I've mentioned before, I remember back when the Marks book came out, and I mentioned to Jon Stebbins on this board that he would be a great candidate to the same basic idea with Al, and I think Jon mentioned that Al had his own idea for doing a book, and I think Jon also humbly suggested the very "open" and stark info and style provided in the Dennis and Dave books might not be what Al would want for his own book.

On the other hand, I like that in the 2000s Al started to get a little more feisty in interviews, so perhaps he *could* do a book where he "tells it like it is" to some degree.

KDS
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

An Al book, likely more along the lines of an "authorized biography" like the David Marks book, could and probably would be quite interesting. I just don't know if Al can ever get around to it. It took him forever just to finish one solo album. Obviously, working with a writer on a biography is not the same as recording an album, but Al sometimes seems slow to move on that sort of stuff.

On the other hand, Brian and Mike books may spur Al into doing his own. As I've mentioned before, I remember back when the Marks book came out, and I mentioned to Jon Stebbins on this board that he would be a great candidate to the same basic idea with Al, and I think Jon mentioned that Al had his own idea for doing a book, and I think Jon also humbly suggested the very "open" and stark info and style provided in the Dennis and Dave books might not be what Al would want for his own book.

On the other hand, I like that in the 2000s Al started to get a little more feisty in interviews, so perhaps he *could* do a book where he "tells it like it is" to some degree.

I think if Brian does slow down with touring, Al's schedule for writing should really open up. 

I've noticed that in Al's interviews too, so that's why I think he's the best candidate in the band to write a "tell all" book. 

I expect Mike's book to be a tad skewed, and Brian's book to be quite diplomatic.  But, I have a feeling Al might dish a little more. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »

Maybe all the answers ARE in Al's book
http://www.amazon.com/Sloop-John-B-Pirates-Tale/dp/1596871814
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »

I think Al's more likely to get namechecked in Brian's book, especially since just about every concert Brian has done over the last five years (including BB C50) has included Al.  

Last four years: Alan didn't tour with Brian at all in 2011.

As for a book by Alan... if he ever gets around to it - and he won't - his ability to harbour, and nurture, a grudge for decades would likely render it close to unreadable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:16:29 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »

In fairness, this is the fifth consecutive calendar year during which Al has toured with Brian, including at least one solo gig at the end of 2012.

KDS
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »

Last four years: Alan didn't tour with Brian at all in 2011.

I meant five years starting with C50 - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016.  He's currently in year #5.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »

Apparently holding a grudge for many years hasn't prevented Mr. Love from writing an autobiography.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »

Apparently holding a grudge for many years hasn't prevented Mr. Love from writing an autobiography.
This is true. In fairness, AGD, grudges shouldn't prevent you from applying the same 'judge it after I've read it' approach to Al that you give to Mike.
KDS
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »

Wouldn't be shocking. 

Ozzy Osbourne's autobiography didn't even mention Jake E. Lee, the underrated guitarist who played with Ozzy for three years and on two albums. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx