gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:54:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love book out in September  (Read 62194 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »

Really. Having to reach for reading-specs nowadays, I can't bemoan an audiobook format. And if it benefits those who benefit, all the better. Don't try to twist what I said.

Simply, because of all things Love, there's something funny about a Mike Love narration. When that nasal kicks in, it's gonna be funny. But then again, as the saying goes, your mileage (and sense of humor) may vary.

I'm not twisting what  you said. You complained that Mike would spend time recording an audiobook (or as you called it "a thespian reenactment of his book" and "his audio re-enactment") but not watch Love and Mercy, and you acted like it was some massive ego-trip on his part.

And no, I don't have much of a sense of humour about disability accommodations, as it happens.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

Yes! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

Really. Having to reach for reading-specs nowadays, I can't bemoan an audiobook format. And if it benefits those who benefit, all the better. Don't try to twist what I said.

Simply, because of all things Love, there's something funny about a Mike Love narration. When that nasal kicks in, it's gonna be funny. But then again, as the saying goes, your mileage (and sense of humor) may vary.

I'm not twisting what  you said. You complained that Mike would spend time recording an audiobook (or as you called it "a thespian reenactment of his book" and "his audio re-enactment") but not watch Love and Mercy, and you acted like it was some massive ego-trip on his part.

And no, I don't have much of a sense of humour about disability accommodations, as it happens.

Neither do I. But the pure audio sensation of a Mike Love reading strikes me as exceedingly funny. Yuk yuk funny.

If you can't separate the forest from the trees, then well too bad.

Betcha some Mike fans buy the audio just to hear their personal rock n roll Jesus.  And that's fine (and has nothing to do with disabilities). Some of us snicker at the thought!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »

Neither do I. But the pure audio sensation of a Mike Love reading strikes me as exceedingly funny. Yuk yuk funny.

If you can't separate the forest from the trees, then well too bad.

Betcha some Mike fans buy the audio just to hear their personal rock n roll Jesus.  And that's fine (and has nothing to do with disabilities). Some of us snicker at the thought!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »

Will they autotune Mike's voice like the Christmas single? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »

I welcome both autobiographies with open arms--just as I would welcome autobiographies from Al and Bruce and a definitive Carl biography.

Will I take either book as gospel, absolutely not, but autobiographies are often used by the author to shed a positive light on their lives and careers (I think of most presidential memoirs). We are certain to get anecdotes never known to the community before that may have been held back for just such an occasion.

I am a bit concerned that Brian switched co-authors, as I always enjoyed Jason Fine's work. While I have heard of Penguin publishing (Mike's book publisher), I can't say I had heard of Da Capo Press (Brian's book publisher) before today--though it seems they do quite a few music autobiographies. I wonder if Jason Fine staying on the project would have brought a bigger publisher--managing editor of Rolling Stone carries a certain cache.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »

It's a radical approach, but I'm going to wait until I've actually read the book before I decide if I'm going to like or hate it.  Grin

Interesting month in prospect - Mike's book due 9/13, Brian's on 10/11. And both before the Rockster's magnum opus. Truly, an embarrassment of riches.

I'd love to see Alan's book, but I'm never going to live long enough. None of us are.

Smart, of course, to read it before we review it!
I keep going back in my mind to that Wink Martindale Q&A where Mike took fan questions. He was asked about Dennis'  album Pacific Ocean Blue. He responded by saying he wrote lyrics for the album, and then moved on to discuss how Don't Go Near The Water was an earlier song with an environmental theme. It's an interesting thought process, it's Mike's thought process. I think the book will follow a similar thought process.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »

They'll try to but we'll still get a nasty, high pitched, nasal bleating sound regardless.  Razz

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »

I would enjoy hearing Mike read his autobio. I just wonder how many of the words are his own? I've read a lot of music autobios, and very few of them were done without a ghostwriter - Dylan's Chronicles, Chuck Berry's book, Ray and Dave Davies' books...and that's about it.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »

“It was like I hardly did anything and Brian did everything,” Love told Rolling Stone. “It’s like kind of trying to erase somebody from history or create another reality.”

We fans have often given credit where credit is due, (well us hardcore fans at any rate) as do many scholarly books about the band. Brian IS at the heart of everything, during the early-to mid-'60s and later, but the others did so much later on and without their voices and input (Mike's lyrics, for example) those songs wouldn't be what they are.

Christ. I hope the whole book won't be as crybaby as that.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »

It still seems to me that the general public see the Beach Boys as being Brian and his puppets. True, the serious fans know the contributions of the other members, but with Brian touring as a solo artist year after year doing the old songs, and getting all the critical plaudits, it has kind of made for a lopsided view of the band. Sure, Mike and Bruce are on the road constantly, but when was the last time you read a rave review of one of their shows in the mainstream media? They're seen as the commercial sell-outs just in it for the money, Brian is seen as the genius artist. If any of the other band members are acknowledged at all, it is usually just Dennis. And the rock media loves nothing more than a tortured genius that dies tragically young. If Carl had been the one that died before turning 40, would he now be praised as the other genius in the band?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:20 AM »

And the rock media loves nothing more than a tortured genius that dies tragically young. If Carl had been the one that died before turning 40, would he now be praised as the other genius in the band?

That would have been in 1985 or thereabouts... say after the Levine album. Based purely on that, I'd say, no. Two mediocre solo albums and a scant handful of BB compositions don't stack up against POB, Bambu and Dennis' BB-related canon 1968-79. Carl was many things, almost all of them admirable, but a genius of any order (except maybe in keeping the band for completely imploding) he was not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2016, 06:37:05 AM »

It still seems to me that the general public see the Beach Boys as being Brian and his puppets. True, the serious fans know the contributions of the other members, but with Brian touring as a solo artist year after year doing the old songs, and getting all the critical plaudits, it has kind of made for a lopsided view of the band. Sure, Mike and Bruce are on the road constantly, but when was the last time you read a rave review of one of their shows in the mainstream media? They're seen as the commercial sell-outs just in it for the money, Brian is seen as the genius artist. If any of the other band members are acknowledged at all, it is usually just Dennis. And the rock media loves nothing more than a tortured genius that dies tragically young. If Carl had been the one that died before turning 40, would he now be praised as the other genius in the band?

Not getting that type of critical recognition, plaudits and coverage is one of the byproducts of over touring. When you roll the same act into the same locations year after year, there is nothing new to write about so it's the same old thing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2016, 06:52:59 AM »

Yeah, M&B really over tour. The BBs name needs be an event like on the C50. Not some oldies package brand name.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2016, 07:22:53 AM »

Yeah, M&B really over tour. The BBs name needs be an event like on the C50. Not some oldies package brand name.

The over touring is another prime example of the cash grabbing, greedy myKe luHv philosophy at work. It's also a *watering down* of the legacy of the name in that they're *too available*.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »

They only over-tour if your second two sentences are correct. But they're just an opinion. To make the shows rare, to drive up ticket prices, to get a different kind of media coverage, sure. But what about keeping the music in front of huge numbers of people annually, selling tickets to people who want to attend concerts and don't care about critical acclaim in the slightest? If they're trying to play a lot of shows for a lot of people--and do a profitable business all the while--then they're doing things just fine.

They're not going to be everyone's Beach Boys. They're wise to be whatever they want to be, and let people on message boards whine as they see fit.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

I'm not a Mike Love fan. At the same time, I don't understand why it seems that people want to always bring it back to bashing him. A thread will start out about something, and after about a page and a half in goes into a Mike V. Brian slugfest, and usually not even about the subject at hand.  Then, people will bring it back around and try to start having conversations about whatever the thread is about, and again someone will make a couple of comments to start the bullshit all over again. I mean, I don't get it.

I think that this board should have 2 sections. A Brian Wilson section, and an Everyone Else section. I mean, these threads all end up exactly the same way, Mike V. Brian. This way, the Lovesters can hang out at their own spot, and The Brianistas or whatever they call themselves these days can hang out at their own crib.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »

I'm not a Mike Love fan. At the same time, I don't understand why it seems that people want to always bring it back to bashing him. A thread will start out about something, and after about a page and a half in goes into a Mike V. Brian slugfest, and usually not even about the subject at hand.  Then, people will bring it back around and try to start having conversations about whatever the thread is about, and again someone will make a couple of comments to start the bullshit all over again. I mean, I don't get it.

I think that this board should have 2 sections. A Brian Wilson section, and an Everyone Else section. I mean, these threads all end up exactly the same way, Mike V. Brian. This way, the Lovesters can hang out at their own spot, and The Brianistas or whatever they call themselves these days can hang out at their own crib.

Or...you could hide behind the security of the Hickeyscript and try to escape reality like those who don't have the ability deal with anyone else's opinion.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »

Or...you could hide behind the security of the Hickeyscript and try to escape reality like those who don't have the ability deal with anyone else's opinion.

And reality is what?  Constantly bitching, moaning, and whining about "what a tool Mike is"?  What are ya gonna do?  Go find out where he lives and pay him a visit?  Send him a bunch of hate mail?  No, folks are just gonna keep yammering on about him, cause apparently there's nothing else to talk about.

BTW, I'm not particularly a ML fan myself, but I just get a little tired of reading bits of actual BB's info, just to have them devolve into the predictable emotional Mike Love jabs. 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »

And reality is what?  Constantly bitching, moaning, and whining about "what a tool Mike is"?  What are ya gonna do?  Go find out where he lives and pay him a visit?  Send him a bunch of hate mail?  No, folks are just gonna keep yammering on about him, cause apparently there's nothing else to talk about.

BTW, I'm not particularly a ML fan myself, but I just get a little tired of reading bits of actual BB's info, just to have them devolve into the predictable emotional Mike Love jabs. 

Sadly, quite a few hate Mike Love and love Mike hate. That's almost a palindrome!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2016, 09:35:54 AM »

They'll try to but we'll still get a nasty, high pitched, nasal bleating sound regardless.  Razz

To paraphrase Brian fans when the autotune issue is brought regarding new releases, I only hear a multiple-stacked vocal with lots of echo and possible an effect like chorus.
👹👹👹
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:36:25 PM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Like I said...

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »

I've seen that mentioned a couple of times. What is it exactly?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »

I've seen that mentioned a couple of times. What is it exactly?

This will get you up to speed.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23115.0.html

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2016, 02:36:17 PM »

And the rock media loves nothing more than a tortured genius that dies tragically young. If Carl had been the one that died before turning 40, would he now be praised as the other genius in the band?

That would have been in 1985 or thereabouts... say after the Levine album. Based purely on that, I'd say, no. Two mediocre solo albums and a scant handful of BB compositions don't stack up against POB, Bambu and Dennis' BB-related canon 1968-79. Carl was many things, almost all of them admirable, but a genius of any order (except maybe in keeping the band for completely imploding) he was not.
I'm probably the only BB fan that would pick Carl's albums over Denny's. I have played them regularly since they came out in 81 and 83, never tired of them, in fact, prefer them to a lot of the stuff the group was cranking out in the late 70's/80's.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx