gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:37:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most embarrassing Beach Boys moment caught on tape?  (Read 42257 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

Do we actually know that Carl didn't turn up for the "Wipe Out" video shoot because he thought the song (and/or video) sucked? Or was it just a scheduling issue?

It's easy to romanticize the idea that members of the band actually objected to and didn't participate in questionable things, and that most certainly was the case in some instances ("Here Comes the Night", etc.). But Carl also participated in plenty of lame 80s and 90s BB projects (remember the "Crocodile Rock" video?).

I know I'm late to this discussion, but Carl certainly participated in other promotion for "Wipe Out":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_-l8xkz7w

I wouldn't call that promotion for Wipeout--it was July 1988, a full year after the single hit and went off the charts. It was more the promotion for Kokomo as others have said.  As for Carl's opinion of Wipeout, who knows, but we do know he was not at the recording session or in the video.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »

Do we actually know that Carl didn't turn up for the "Wipe Out" video shoot because he thought the song (and/or video) sucked? Or was it just a scheduling issue?

It's easy to romanticize the idea that members of the band actually objected to and didn't participate in questionable things, and that most certainly was the case in some instances ("Here Comes the Night", etc.). But Carl also participated in plenty of lame 80s and 90s BB projects (remember the "Crocodile Rock" video?).

I know I'm late to this discussion, but Carl certainly participated in other promotion for "Wipe Out":

I wouldn't call that promotion for Wipeout--it was July 1988, a full year after the single hit and went off the charts. It was more the promotion for Kokomo as others have said.  As for Carl's opinion of Wipeout, who knows, but we do know he was not at the recording session or in the video.
Was anybody else there other than Brian? He is the only one that I can hear.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »

Was anybody else there other than Brian? He is the only one that I can hear.

I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure Brian was the only actual Beach Boy to appear on Wipe Out. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »

I don't know if anyone has ever nailed down hard evidence that it's only Brian. I think it's mainly that it very much sounds like a stack of Brians that leads most to deduce it's only him. I don't often listen to the song these days, but whenever I have, it certainly sounds like stacks of Brian.

There are certainly cases even in the 80s where the BBs were happy (or time crunched, or just found it convenient) to just leave a stack of Brians on an ostensibly "Beach Boys" recording. The Barbie flexdisc is one example. I'd even say it's interesting to note that while they added Carl and Al lead vocal lines to "In My Car", all of the backing vocals are all Brian as well. In that case, given all of the logistical and political moves involved to even get Brian with any of the guys, it was probably easier to just get Carl and Al on the song that way as opposed to getting all three (or all five) Beach Boys to re-do backing vocals Brian had already done.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »

Per The Wilson Project...Gary Usher produced the BB's vocal session in LA.  Present at the session were Mike, Bruce, Al and Brian. Usher stated he was impressed that Brian had come in to the session with fairly well crafted vocal arrangements for the guys. For whatever reason, I think it is pretty well undisputed that on the finished version, Brian is the only identifiable BB vocal.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:14:44 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »

Per Wilson Project...Gary Usher produced the BB's vocal session in LA.  Present at the session were Mike, Bruce, Al and Brian. Usher stated he was impressed that Brian had come in to the session with fairly well crafted vocal arrangements for the guys.
It couldn't have been that good. I can't hear anyone else, but Brian. Usually, I can hear Bruce right away. His vocals always stick out in the blend.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:10 AM »

I don't know if anyone has ever nailed down hard evidence that it's only Brian. I think it's mainly that it very much sounds like a stack of Brians that leads most to deduce it's only him. I don't often listen to the song these days, but whenever I have, it certainly sounds like stacks of Brian.

There are certainly cases even in the 80s where the BBs were happy (or time crunched, or just found it convenient) to just leave a stack of Brians on an ostensibly "Beach Boys" recording. The Barbie flexdisc is one example. I'd even say it's interesting to note that while they added Carl and Al lead vocal lines to "In My Car", all of the backing vocals are all Brian as well. In that case, given all of the logistical and political moves involved to even get Brian with any of the guys, it was probably easier to just get Carl and Al on the song that way as opposed to getting all three (or all five) Beach Boys to re-do backing vocals Brian had already done.

Wasn't "In My Car" an outtake from BW88 that was borrowed to have a Brian song on Still Cruisin?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »

Wasn't "In My Car" an outtake from BW88 that was borrowed to have a Brian song on Still Cruisin?

I dunno if it was literally an outtake from the BW '88 sessions, but yes, it certainly is a "solo Brian" track that was given to the "Still Cruisin'" BB project, and they appear to have done as little as they could to get the most "group" sound they could, namely having Carl and Al sing the choruses on top of everything else done by Brian outside of the group.

The song was given a little slot in the '89 syndicated "Endless Summer" TV show. It featured a "live" version during Brian's solo set during a BB concert (backed by the BB touring band, but with no other BBs), and while the actual lyrics were all or mostly the same, the melody line on the verses was completely different from what ended up on the "Still Crusin'" album. Intercut with the live version were interview clips with Brian and a bit of studio (control room) footage of Brian and Landy (and I believe Mark Linett can also be seen briefly), where little bits of presumably an early studio/demo version of the song can also be heard.

So I guess I can't rule out the possibility that Brian had it earmarked potentially for the BBs from an early date. But either way, he effectively recorded the thing as a solo track, and then only had Carl and Al add some lead vocal lines. If nothing else, it gives a bit of a taste of what BW'88 would have sounded like with Carl and Al singing some lead parts.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:32:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »

I dunno if it was literally an outtake from the BW '88 sessions, but yes, it certainly is a "solo Brian" track that was given to the "Still Cruisin'" BB project, and they appear to have done as little as they could to get the most "group" sound they could, namely having Carl and Al sing the choruses on top of everything else done by Brian outside of the group.

The song was given a little slot in the '89 syndicated "Endless Summer" TV show. It featured a "live" version during Brian's solo set during a BB concert (backed by the BB touring band, but with no other BBs), and while the actual lyrics were all or mostly the same, the melody line on the verses was completely different from what ended up on the "Still Crusin'" album. Intercut with the live version were interview clips with Brian and a bit of studio (control room) footage of Brian and Landy (and I believe Mark Linett can also be seen briefly), where little bits of presumably an early studio/demo version of the song can also be heard.

So I guess I can't rule out the possibility that Brian had it earmarked potentially for the BBs from an early date. But either way, he effectively recorded the thing as a solo track, and then only had Carl and Al add some lead vocal lines. If nothing else, it gives a bit of a taste of what BW'88 would have sounded like with Carl and Al singing some lead parts.
Hey Jude - reading this, brought back one of those videos with Brian (at the behest of Landy) doing that song, In My Car, because of the way it came about, now creeps me out.  It isn't a quality-of-song issue but more the inappropriate involvement of Landy at that time, as a therapist.  And, for me it goes well beyond anything that cold be construed as goofy or light-hearted as is Wipe Out.  I can still watch it and have a chuckle.  The video had a lot of play on MTV and VH1.  (Wipe Out)  Wink
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

The first thought that came into my head straight away after reading the subject heading was the Brian and Mike argument on stage from the Largo concert in 1977.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »

Somebody recently posted "In My Room" from Knebworth 1980, where Brian is in his own world playing a boogie boogie piano riff during the first verse. That's pretty embarrassing.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »

The first thought that came into my head straight away after reading the subject heading was the Brian and Mike argument on stage from the Largo concert in 1977.
Oh man, that incident is basically the best visual representation of Mike and Brian's relationship.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »

Oh man, that incident is basically the best visual representation of Mike and Brian's relationship.

Indeed it was what their relationship was like at that time. Brian was in a bad place at that time don't forget. But hey, at least they're all okay now!  3D
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »

Sure we love the guys! But this board is also a place to not only venerate our lovely boys but also make light of their less appealing attempts at being commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivrroKurUc
COMMENT:  Not caught on tape exactly, but Dennis was quite embarrassed right after the tape stopped as he came around the upturned violin riser in Capitol Studio A after f * c k i n g the chick he found on the street for the ending of All I Want To Do. While doing the deed in the studio, rumors spread like wild-fire up-&-down the tower, unbeknown to Dennis. So when he appeared, still dressing himself, and entered the control room, he was greeted by a gaggle of executive types that had assembled to hear what Dennis was "recording" Thumbs Up. Some of the men in black suits were cheering him on, while others were questioning this use of the same studio that had recorded such notables as Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. Dennis was indeed embarrassed, mutating to his impish persona as he realized his seeming mischievous antics were not covert and had quickly become the talk-of-the-tower. An oops moment !!   ~swd    
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:42:50 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »

Sure we love the guys! But this board is also a place to not only venerate our lovely boys but also make light of their less appealing attempts at being commercial.
COMMENT:  Not caught on tape exactly, but Dennis was quite embarrassed right after the tape stopped as he came around the upturned violin riser in Capitol Studio A after f * c k i n g the chick he found on the street for the ending of Do It Again. While doing the deed in the studio, rumors spread like wild-fire up-&-down the tower, unbeknown to Dennis. So when he appeared, still dressing himself, and entered the control room, he was greeted by a gaggle of executive types that had assembled to hear what Dennis was "recording" Thumbs Up. Some of the men in black suits were cheering him on, while others were questioning this use of the same studio that had recorded such notables as Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. Dennis was indeed embarrassed, mutating to his impish persona as he realized his seeming mischievous antics were not covert and had quickly become the talk-of-the-tower. An oops moment !!  ~swd   

LOL LOL

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »

Somebody recently posted "In My Room" from Knebworth 1980, where Brian is in his own world playing a boogie boogie piano riff during the first verse. That's pretty embarrassing.

You mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuoy0CvT3VM

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »

COMMENT:  Not caught on tape exactly, but Dennis was quite embarrassed right after the tape stopped as he came around the upturned violin riser in Capitol Studio A after f * c k i n g the chick he found on the street for the ending of Do It Again. While doing the deed in the studio, rumors spread like wild-fire up-&-down the tower, unbeknown to Dennis. So when he appeared, still dressing himself, and entered the control room, he was greeted by a gaggle of executive types that had assembled to hear what Dennis was "recording" Thumbs Up. Some of the men in black suits were cheering him on, while others were questioning this use of the same studio that had recorded such notables as Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. Dennis was indeed embarrassed, mutating to his impish persona as he realized his seeming mischievous antics were not covert and had quickly become the talk-of-the-tower. An oops moment !!  ~swd   
Were none of the executive types concerned about the exploitation of the woman? God.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2016, 06:55:47 PM »

Were none of the executive types concerned about the exploitation of the woman? God.

They're executives in the late 60's. I doubt they cared.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »

One can always hope that a tiny subset of the population has some basic human empathy. Though one will often be disappointed if one does.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »

One can always hope that a tiny subset of the population has some basic human empathy. Though one will often be disappointed if one does.

Dennis had already doled out enough empathy for the hole crowd

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »

Wow.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »

Wow.

I know, how could he forget that W?  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:10:40 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2016, 07:49:38 AM »

COMMENT:  After being paid, she signed a release giving The Beach Boys the royalty-free right to use whatever was captured in the "recording session." Much the same as a session side-man or background singer would sign. All professional. Think of her as a singer using the method-actor system. ~swd
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:52:56 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
KDS
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2016, 07:53:10 AM »

COMMENT:  After being paid, she signed a release giving The Beach Boys the royalty-free right to use whatever was captured in the "recording session." Much the same as a session side-man or background singer would sign. All professional. Think of her as a singer using the method-actor system. ~swd

Good work if you can get it.  I've offered to participate in sessions for Katy Perry if needed. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »

COMMENT:  After being paid, she signed a release giving The Beach Boys the royalty-free right to use whatever was captured in the "recording session." Much the same as a session side-man or background singer would sign. All professional. Think of her as a singer using the method-actor system. ~swd

As I've previously theorized, this would most likely make Dennis both the creator of and participant in the world's first celebrity sex tape (and almost certainly so if judging by the context of creating content that is intended for mainstream media). Some fans might cringe a bit at that designation (I don't)... but in reality, I think one could legitimately call Dennis a pioneer in terms of that form of media. I'm not sure that any other celebrity could be claimed to have done anything remotely of the sort at an earlier date.

I've wondered when, chronologically-speaking, exactly it was that it came to light publicly (fans knowing) that these sex sounds were both on the song, and were performed by Dennis (with an assist from the lady  Grin). Is it correct in assuming that since a bunch of executives in the building were apparently in the know, that this knowledge just spread as a bit of an underground secret, little by little for years, until it finally trickled into the knowledge base of BB fans themselves?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:15:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx