gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680791 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:41:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most embarrassing Beach Boys moment caught on tape?  (Read 42339 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »

Just listened to the Barbara Ann video. It sounds like the studio version has been dubbed onto it by someone for YouTube, as the fidelity and ambience of the applause at the end doesn't match.

But it's also clear they were miming. We just don't know what they were miming to. Their performance does sync up surprisingly well to the studio Party take. It's not impossible that they were miming to it, and someone dubbed the sound from the CD for simply better sound quality.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:11:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »

Just listened to the Barbara Ann video. It sounds like the studio version has been dubbed onto it by someone for YouTube, as the fidelity and ambience of the applause at the end doesn't match.

But it's also clear they were miming. We just don't know what they were miming to. Their performance does sync up surprisingly well to the studio Party take. It's not impossible that they were miming to it, and someone dubbed the sound from the CD for simply better sound quality.
that's what I was thinking..maybe the original video had bad sound and the uploader decided to put a better quality sound to it,,,
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »

I heard that Mike and Bruce used to do some sort of rap segment during their shows in the 2000s? I haven't seen any footage of it, but if it's true, I would love to see it.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

I heard that Mike and Bruce used to do some sort of rap segment during their shows in the 2000s? I haven't seen any footage of it, but if it's true, I would love to see it.

They did Wipeout in the late 80s and early 90s with Billy Hinsche rapping, is that what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sajqiWUo8

KDS
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »

They did Wipeout in the late 80s and early 90s with Billy Hinsche rapping, is that what you mean?

Wipeout, Smart Girls, and Summer of Love are all low points.  The Beach Boys rapping??  Why??  Their attempt at disco was bad enough. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »

Wipeout, Smart Girls, and Summer of Love are all low points.  The Beach Boys rapping??  Why??  Their attempt at disco was bad enough.  

I wonder if Smart Girls was a bit of an intentional attempt at a sequel to the successful Beach Boys Medley single.

If Brian had been more involved in the Beach Boys in the early 90s, could Smart Girls have wound up being released on Summer in Paradise? Serious question. (Shudder)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:42:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »

CD, that's a scary though. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »

It is indeed. But if Wipeout and Summer of Love were released (with the former being somewhat of a hit), I could see a scenario where Smart Girls could have been released as a BB song around 1991/92 with some BB overdubs, or with some more actual song samples crammed in there.

Talk about dodging a bullet.
KDS
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »

It is indeed. But if Wipeout and Summer of Love were released (with the former being somewhat of a hit), I could see a scenario where Smart Girls could have been released as a BB song around 1991/92 with some BB overdubs, or with some more actual song samples crammed in there.

Wow, a possible scenario where Brian's input on SIP could've actually made the album worse.   

That's some Twilight Zone stuff. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »

Most embarrassing to me is the overly smarmy Everyone's In Love With You. I would list Brian's Lazy Lizzie, but I like the melody too much.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »

Wow, a possible scenario where Brian's input on SIP could've actually made the album worse.   

Yeah, totally. As horrid as Smart Girls is, I don't see how Mike would say it was a terrible idea (seeing as he kept pushing Smart Girls as late as 1995). I think Mike must have *really* legitimately thought the Boys could have a crossover pseudo rap hit without the Fat Boys, and I imagine he might have supported the song being released as a BB song if the idea would have been floated. Yuck.

For that matter, I wonder if Smart Girls would have been recorded/conceived whatsoever if not for Wipeout's success.
KDS
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »

Yeah, totally. As horrid as Smart Girls is, I don't see how Mike would say it was a terrible idea (seeing as he kept pushing Smart Girls as late as 1995). I think Mike must have *really* legitimately thought the Boys could have a crossover pseudo rap hit without the Fat Boys, and I imagine he might have supported the song being released as a BB song if the idea would have been floated. Yuck.

For that matter, I wonder if Smart Girls would have been recorded/conceived whatsoever if not for Wipeout's success.

Anthrax had a minor rap hit with "I'm the Man' before they did their collaboration with Public Enemy.  I'm not sure how aware Mike was about the metal scene, but that's one possible example. 

I wonder if Wipe Out was an attempt to pull an Aerosmith (when they did Walk This Way with Run DMC) to get relevant again. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »

Quick question - which is the worse version of "Smart Girls": the one with the actual BB samples, or the one with Brian doing them all ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »

I know everyone hates smart girls, but I thought it was very clever how they blended the BB samples with the song.
I like it just for that alone, and not sure which version now, but it was cool to hear Brian do some of those falsetto parts again.
I think there are more concert recordings over the years that are more embarrassing (late 70's - early 80's)
KDS
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 05:18:04 AM »

I know everyone hates smart girls, but I thought it was very clever how they blended the BB samples with the song.
I like it just for that alone, and not sure which version now, but it was cool to hear Brian do some of those falsetto parts again.
I think there are more concert recordings over the years that are more embarrassing (late 70's - early 80's)

People may call me a stick in the mud, but I detest rap. 

And I think the only thing I hate worse than real rap is when people from the rock world do rap (ie. Brian, Beach Boys, Ozzy Osbourne, Aerosmith, etc).

I'm also not a fan of when they do EDM (***cough***Runaway Dancer***cough**)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »

I also liked how they did the samples.  The original version I heard was the one with Brian doing the snippets, which was also cool  Grin
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »

I also liked how they did the samples.  The original version I heard was the one with Brian doing the snippets, which was also cool  Grin
There's a version with Brian doing the snippets? Haven't heard that. Maybe it's more tolerable.
I might be able to give in and enjoy the version with samples as a stupid piece of fluff (like I do with the rest of Sweet Insanity) if it weren't for what happens halfway through. The moment "Good Vibrations" starts fading in out of absolutely nowhere is one of the most fascinatingly awful moments in the entire Beach Boys canon.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »

Perhaps this moment?

KDS
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

Perhaps this moment?

Well, whenever we Beach Boys fans ask the eternal question "Why don't The Beach Boys get more respect?"  This picture is the answer. 
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »

Perhaps this moment?

Well, whenever we Beach Boys fans ask the eternal question "Why don't The Beach Boys get more respect?"  This picture is the answer. 
They are the rock equivalent of Rodney Dangerfield...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »

Perhaps this moment?

They are the rock equivalent of Rodney Dangerfield...

An incredibly accurate analogy. Unfortunately so.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »

God Bless Carl Wilson...smart enough and cool enough to avoid this session like the plague.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »

The version of "Smart Girls" with the samples is IMO better, because at least it's more creative and not just a bunch of Brian's singing the background like the other version without the samples. By the way "Smart Girls" was "released" (if you want to call it that), on the Dr. Demento show back in the 90's over the air, and maybe even could have been on one of his basement tapes cd releases although I'm not sure if it was or not, but I know for a  FACT it aired on his show because I used to have a cassette tape with it on it, it was the version with the samples.. I like the flute Swoops (or piccolo or whatever it is) on it...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »

God Bless Carl Wilson...smart enough and cool enough to avoid this session like the plague.
Yes. The only time he's seen in the video is his face on a surfboard.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »

if so then why is Bruce acting "Confused" at the part where the lyrics go clunky? unless they did the clunky lyrics on the live performance I don't see why Bruce would do a "Confused" act..

Could be sheer coincidence. I was at a concert where there happened to be a loud booming feedback sound at one point. And at the time of the feedback, Dennis was on the screen, he started smiling at the camera and then rolled his eyes as if he was commenting the sound flub.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx