gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:26:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most embarrassing Beach Boys moment caught on tape?  (Read 42264 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »

I know that TWGMTR was released some time in early April, and if I remember right, Spring Vacation got leaked some time several weeks before the album came out. I remember hearing it on tumblr some time in May and thinking it was a great song.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

I think it was either Dutch or German radio that aired "Think About the Days" and "Spring Vacation" some time before the album came out, perhaps a month or more. I think it was probably that airing (and subsequent ability to stream the broadcast) that led to those two tracks "leaking", though "leaking" is probably not the best term to use since the songs were aired. It's not as if they "snuck" out via some private source.

Surprisingly, I don't think promo copies of the album "leaked" until less than two weeks or so before the album's release date.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

I know that TWGMTR was released some time in early April, and if I remember right, Spring Vacation got leaked some time several weeks before the album came out. I remember hearing it on tumblr some time in May and thinking it was a great song.

Other than the closing trifecta, "Spring Vacation" is my favorite song on TWGMTR. I love the intro, the melody, the flow, and just that "Beach Boyish" sound/feeling. I thought it was a better choice for a single than the title track, and I wish it would've been given a shot...in the SPRING of 2012.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:52:50 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »

or Tears in the Morning?

ugh. the list goes on and on folks

Tears is schlock, but it's not embarassing
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »

25th Anniversary Special. Brian squinting and reading Mike's cue cards along with Love himself.

25th Anniversary Special. Belinda's dress.

25th Anniversary Special. Carl's pants

25th Anniversary Special. Joe Piscopo

25th Anniversary Special. Mike's outfit

This was watched by 8 million viewers.
What's wrong with Carl's pants? They weren't Bruce's shorts! And I liked Belinda's dress - kept hoping it was gonna fall off (she probably had a swimsuit underneath).

I guess I was always the nerd pouring water on everyone's hopes; I remember realizing that the 25th TV special was clearly pre-taped and not live, so whatever they left in of Belinda Carlisle was not going to result in her dress completely falling off.

Not quite embarrassing, but perplexing, was Carl's weird duet with Gloria Loring. I know she had a hit right around the time of the TV special, but I remember thinking "Who the F is this, and why are people singing their own songs on a BB special?" Of course, I now realize that clearly a small selection of guest stars (including Carlisle) most likely only agreed to appear on the show if they could plug their own thing too.

At least on the Loring song, Carl sang it with her.
They really should have left those songs out of the special, but I suppose the network thought more people would tune in if the show featured some contemporary artists singing recent hits.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:55 PM »

or Tears in the Morning?

when your favorite band records schlock and includes it on an otherwise solid album, it's embarrassing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »

or Tears in the Morning?

when your favorite band records schlock and includes it on an otherwise solid album, it's embarrassing.

Yeah, I think that's the thing. Sometimes things aren't internally embarrassing. I may not be embarrassed by "Tears in the Morning" and may enjoy listening to it, but presenting it to some other non-fan to prove the progressiveness and genius of the Beach Boys may be embarrassing, sort of like sitting in a room watching a movie with your Mom in the room and then a sex scene comes on the screen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »

or Tears in the Morning?

Yeah, I think that's the thing. Sometimes things aren't internally embarrassing. I may not be embarrassed by "Tears in the Morning" and may enjoy listening to it, but presenting it to some other non-fan to prove the progressiveness and genius of the Beach Boys may be embarrassing, sort of like sitting in a room watching a movie with your Mom in the room and then a sex scene comes on the screen.

Good analogy, and I agree completely… Although the identical sex scene analogy you mention might be more accurately applied to All I Want to Do's fadeout Smiley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

I think it was either Dutch or German radio that aired "Think About the Days" and "Spring Vacation" some time before the album came out, perhaps a month or more. I think it was probably that airing (and subsequent ability to stream the broadcast) that led to those two tracks "leaking", though "leaking" is probably not the best term to use since the songs were aired. It's not as if they "snuck" out via some private source.

Surprisingly, I don't think promo copies of the album "leaked" until less than two weeks or so before the album's release date.

I have them in my archive dated as May 14th, 2012 so they probably aired a couple of days before that max.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »

When that short clip of Brian and Mike doing vocals for what turned out to be "Spring Vacation" made it into one of the "Sizzle Reel" EPK things, I don't think anything had been released from the album at that point. The "TWGMTR" "single" was put out pretty late in the game, but I'm not sure if that had come out yet. But nothing else from the album had made it out, and we didn't even know the title "Spring Vacation" at that point.

My recollection is that they didn't even have in-line audio for that short clip of Brian and Mike; it was just the camera mic picking up their voices, and it was only two lines from the song with very slightly alternate lyrics, something like "we like to get around, get up and hit up every hot spot in town." They didn't sound too hot, but it also didn't have any context. It was only two parts of a multi-part harmony, and it sounded like more of a run-through/rehearsal. It was one of the few tracks where Mike would have been there to demo lyrics and vocals from the get-go instead of just replacing Brian & Foskett parts from demos (or, in the case of his flown-in solo track, just adding intermittent BB backing vocals).

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think we'd heard at least a tease of the title track by then, maybe even the full track streaming? I recall that being the first thing out, followed by that Spring Vacation studio clip ... which I HATED. It was sung poorly and, as you said, not really in a full context. I still don't necessarily love the song, but it's far, far better than that clip made it appear. (Kind of surprising that was included in any promo materials, actually. "Hear the aging Beach Boys sing badly together! Buy now!")

No question, that "Spring Vacation" studio clip was not a well-chosen clip to demonstrate that they've "still got it!"

Found it!  Here it is, in all its glory:

https://youtu.be/1K7h7IICAs0?t=1m16s

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »

Yikes. Not a whole lot in that promo that's aged well.  Sad

KingSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »

Love the Roller Skating Child clip & a few others.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2016, 06:05:36 AM »

"In the Still of the Night"

"Blueberry Hill"
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »

"Blueberry Hill"
15 Big Ones

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »

"Blueberry Hill"
15 Big Ones

There was a time when I thought that, but had things gone the way they should have, this would've been an interesting time out in the manner of Dylan's Good as I Been To You. I think it's the quirkier cousin of Love You (though I still hate Everyone's In Love... and I'm still not a fan of Blueberry Hill. I actually love In The Still of the Night, however...)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »

When that short clip of Brian and Mike doing vocals for what turned out to be "Spring Vacation" made it into one of the "Sizzle Reel" EPK things, I don't think anything had been released from the album at that point. The "TWGMTR" "single" was put out pretty late in the game, but I'm not sure if that had come out yet. But nothing else from the album had made it out, and we didn't even know the title "Spring Vacation" at that point.

My recollection is that they didn't even have in-line audio for that short clip of Brian and Mike; it was just the camera mic picking up their voices, and it was only two lines from the song with very slightly alternate lyrics, something like "we like to get around, get up and hit up every hot spot in town." They didn't sound too hot, but it also didn't have any context. It was only two parts of a multi-part harmony, and it sounded like more of a run-through/rehearsal. It was one of the few tracks where Mike would have been there to demo lyrics and vocals from the get-go instead of just replacing Brian & Foskett parts from demos (or, in the case of his flown-in solo track, just adding intermittent BB backing vocals).

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think we'd heard at least a tease of the title track by then, maybe even the full track streaming? I recall that being the first thing out, followed by that Spring Vacation studio clip ... which I HATED. It was sung poorly and, as you said, not really in a full context. I still don't necessarily love the song, but it's far, far better than that clip made it appear. (Kind of surprising that was included in any promo materials, actually. "Hear the aging Beach Boys sing badly together! Buy now!")

No question, that "Spring Vacation" studio clip was not a well-chosen clip to demonstrate that they've "still got it!"

I am guessing that was an early run through of that song. Mike's tripping all over the words.
PS I know Al likes the Strat, but he always looked cool with a Les Paul.

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »

or Tears in the Morning?

Sunflower is one of the dorkiest albums ever made. It's great.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »

Yikes. Not a whole lot in that promo that's aged well.  Sad

That little five second excerpt! Can't imagine how anyone chose that five second clip for this promo!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2016, 01:06:51 AM »

This one is pretty embarrassing. The Beach Boys of 1990 lip syncing to the "unplugged" version of Barbara Ann from the "Party!" album, complete with a drummer playing to a track that doesn't have any drums, and people playing electric guitars that are nowhere to be heard on the "Party!" version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntntpYY-7vA

I wouldn't call Long Beach 1981 necessarily "embarrassing". It's more tragic and sad than anything else. They weren't fit to be anywhere near a stage at that point.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2016, 02:22:59 AM »

This one is pretty embarrassing. The Beach Boys of 1990 lip syncing to the "unplugged" version of Barbara Ann from the "Party!" album, complete with a drummer playing to a track that doesn't have any drums, and people playing electric guitars that are nowhere to be heard on the "Party!" version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntntpYY-7vA

I wouldn't call Long Beach 1981 necessarily "embarrassing". It's more tragic and sad than anything else. They weren't fit to be anywhere near a stage at that point.

Geez that clip is almost unwatchable.....  Undecided
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2016, 02:47:21 AM »

Other than the closing trifecta, "Spring Vacation" is my favorite song on TWGMTR. I love the intro, the melody, the flow, and just that "Beach Boyish" sound/feeling. I thought it was a better choice for a single than the title track, and I wish it would've been given a shot...in the SPRING of 2012.  

It might be the most "classic beach boys" sound on the album. Only shame that the lyrics are clunky.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »

It might be the most "classic beach boys" sound on the album. Only shame that the lyrics are clunky.

That's my feeling about it--great sound and melody, but the lyrics are a bit questionable...  they sound a bit forced.

Really, though, I like the whole album, except for maybe 'Beaches in Mind.' 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2016, 07:19:14 AM »

I hope you're joking because that audio was clearly added to the video by the uploader...

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2016, 09:30:02 AM »

I hope you're joking because that audio was clearly added to the video by the uploader...
It is? if so then why is Bruce acting "Confused" at the part where the lyrics go clunky? unless they did the clunky lyrics on the live performance I don't see why Bruce would do a "Confused" act.. also notice that Carl isn't there, if they are lip-synching maybe Carl didn't want to do it because he didn't want to be embarrassed, I can see him doing that for some reason..lol...also who is singing lead?  it seems inconsistent as to who is singing Deans part. I thought it was Bruce at first but he doesn't sing all of it neither does Al.....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:33:43 AM by joshferrell » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »

I haven't been able to watch the clip with sound yet. But I do believe Carl missed a tour of Spain in 1990, so if that clip is from Spain television, that probably explains his absence.

Carl participated in plenty of awful TV appearances over the years. Remember the "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" clip where Brian looks genuinely confused about WTF the "old lady" on stage is doing? Carl was at that one.  LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx