gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:03:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine* / The Beach Boys - Don't Fight The Sea / Friends A Capella  (Read 3904 times)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »

Al Jardine* / The Beach Boys - Don't Fight The Sea / Friends A Capella  does anyone know where this single was available? I would really love to hear the Friends A Capella version. I have looked everywhere ITunes CD YouTube but have not luck at all. Does anyone know if this was available on iTunes or CD? I would really like to hear this version of Friends but I don't have a record player anymore.

Is this Friends A Capella version from 1968 or a new version from 2011? This is officially an Al Jardine single right?
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »

Here's a picture and a description of the single: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/beach-boys-japan-relief-vinyl-records.shtml

It states:

"The flip side of the record is an unreleased Beach Boys a capella mix, from a 1968 recording of the song 'Friends'"
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »

wow thanks for the  info! Was this ever released in anyother type of form or online? I would love to hear it.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »

Here 'tis.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »

Here what?? Huh
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »

Apologies for not being clear - it was a hyperlink to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wjgu0DQ9Tk

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »

Wow cool thanks! Did you upload that? That was just uploaded yesterday! Thanks
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »

As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will have better details, the single was only released on vinyl for Record Store Day in the US (where limited runs of special products, usually vinyl, are available only from smaller/independent record stores).
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »

As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will have better details, the single was only released on vinyl for Record Store Day in the US (where limited runs of special products, usually vinyl, are available only from smaller/independent record stores).

Which explains the surface noise on that YouTube.  I was listening in headphones and it sounded to me like that vinyl hadn't been taken very good care of.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »

Thanks to the person who posted the vinyl rip on YouTube. I have the single but have been too lazy to transfer it and have been surprised someone didn't put it up on YouTube long ago.

I also wouldn't assume the person who did the transfer "didn't take good care" of the vinyl. Sometimes the pressing quality is a bit noisy. I'm not prepared to criticize possibly the first person to get off their rump and put this on YouTube. This is awesome.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »

I also wouldn't assume the person who did the transfer "didn't take good care" of the vinyl. Sometimes the pressing quality is a bit noisy. I'm not prepared to criticize possibly the first person to get off their rump and put this on YouTube. This is awesome.

I have the white vinyl, and it's noisy like this - I agree it's just the pressing quality and nothing the uploader did.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »

according to wiki:
Al Jardine's version was also issued on a Vinyl 45 RPM Record Record Store Day 2011 in a limited edition of 2,500 copies (1,000 White Vinyl and 1,500 Black Vinyl) with the proceeds to benefit Tsunami Relief for Japan.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »

Here's more info and all of the different things which were available at the time.  

http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-SOLO-AJ.htm

When it was for sale, you could buy copies for $10 and with Al's Autograph for a bit more maybe $15 or $20, or with the sleeve with the four autographs for about $150, if I remember correctly.

There was some talk, about doing a RED vinyl version as well, but it was mostly hearsay.  

The RED label on the white background is suppose to represent the Japanese Flag and the Japanese Symbol at the top is the character for "FRIENDS"

Here's part of his performance at Amoeba Records in Berkeley, California on Record Store Day, back in 2011, where he performed and sold the record.  There's was a nice crowd there to see him.

Part One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgUDcCeEYw

Part Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DKm3DT_-k

Enjoy.

Dogbone
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:28:19 PM by Dogbone51 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »

Wow.. the vocals-only version is fantastic. I got the 45 record of this for free when I attended the Al Jardine solo show at The Roxy in 2012, but I hadn't listened to it yet. As I recall, they just were giving them away at the door as the crowd walked in.

I only wish that it was truly vocals only, instead of inexplicably adding the backing track near the end of the song. Why was this creative choice made? They did the opposite thing (equally as annoying) to Sail On, Sailor (on the Hawthorne, CA album when the backing track version was released), where vocals inexplicably come in at the end.

I totally get inserting part of the backing track into long sections where there are no vocals, much like the Pet Sounds sessions, but to have the backing track mixed audibly at full volume on sections where there are indeed vocals (vocals that I wish to hear isolated, which is supposed to be the very point of releasing a version like this) is just infuriating. </rant>
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:37:42 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »

WRONG THREAD AHHH
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:40:45 PM by Dudd » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx