gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:14:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine and John Mayer New Song?!  (Read 11553 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »

Nice track! My daughter's a fan of Mr Mayer.

With thanks to SDU. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »

With love from the 'United' Kingdom of Great Britain, I literally don't know who John Mayer is.

This is the same thing US fans thought/said when that awful "Status Quo" thing came out in 1996. Why are the BBs backing a random bar band on a s**tty cover of "Fun Fun Fun?"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:56:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:05 AM »

With love from the 'United' Kingdom of Great Britain, I literally don't know who John Mayer is. Love the idea of anyone giving Al his props. Was there any born person ever suited to belting out the first line of Heroes & Villains? Not fussed about some niche guitar player but chuffed if anyone gives Al for his dues for the songs that really matter.

You're not missing much.  He's a decent guitar player, but much of what I've heard of his music is pretty disposable. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »

Compared to about 98.9% of the contemporary 'hit-makers' over these past 15 years I'd say John Mayer is substantially more musical and talented that almost all of them...and by a sizeable margin.

Disposable kds?  Hardly.  

The guy writes and sings real songs.  He isn't trendy.  AND he plays a pretty fine guitar.  I'd be entirely willing to dump and flush the other 98.9% modern era trendoids [twice...'cause it's a LONG way to the cesspool] and keep him.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:38:40 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »

This is the same thing US fans thought/said when that awful "Status Quo" thing came out in 1996. Why are the BBs backing a random bar band on a s**tty cover of "Fun Fun Fun?"

Random bar band?? I shouldn't say that in the UK, if I were you! LOL

https://youtu.be/bNPJuJSVmNA

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

Random bar band?? I shouldn't say that in the UK, if I were you! LOL

https://youtu.be/bNPJuJSVmNA

Exactly, that was my point.  LOL Nobody much knew "Status Quo" in the US in 1996 (or now), and their cover of "Fun Fun Fun" sounds like a mediocre bar British bar band trying to cover the Beach Boys.

My guess is that more people in the UK have heard of John Mayer than people in the US have heard of Status Quo.

Not that I'm trumpeting either of these artists; neither do anything for me.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »

Compared to about 98.9% of the contemporary 'hit-makers' over these past 15 years I'd say John Mayer is substantially more musical and talented that almost all of them...and by a sizeable margin.

Disposable kds?  Hardly.  

The guy writes and sings real songs.  He isn't trendy.  AND he plays a pretty fine guitar.  I'd be entirely willing to dump and flush the other 98.9% modern era trendoids [twice...'cause it's a LONG way to the cesspool] and keep him.

Sure, he writes his own songs, and plays an instrument pretty well.  That, alone, sets him apart from most of the pack these days.  But, IMO, being able to play guitar well, and actually writing songs as opposed to relying on a song doctor(s) doesn't really mean much if the songs aren't that good. 

I don't think I've heard any John Mayer song that I would consider horrible, so maybe "disposable" was a little harsh.  More like very middle of the road.  The kind of music that you hear and go, "that's not too bad," but quickly forget it. 
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

More from Mayer and the song. Plus RS's review of the track:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-mayer-details-four-new-wave-2-songs-w468485

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »

Glad that Al is getting cameos like this on current artists' material, but good golly Miss Molly that is a terrible song title.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »

but good golly Miss Molly that is a terrible song title.

True dat!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

but good golly Miss Molly that is a terrible song title.

True dat!

It's *as* bad a song title as Al's '90s skullet and fashion were.

Emoji of a Wave is the early '90s-Al hairdo/clothing-style of song titles.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:21:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 03:26:39 PM »

When I saw the title, my first thought was of Prince's "Emale" off of the late '90s album Emancipation.

The down-side to trying to be timely is that you quickly, inevitably become very, very dated.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

(Captain plays his Dx-7) Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »

LOL. Not quite. But in the mid-late 80s, I may or may not have had black spandex shorts with neon green tiger stripes along the sides. And a flat-top mullet with lightning shaved into the sides. This might be true and it might be illustrative of my point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »

I will take it as creative license.... LOL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »

And I will take it as the best--perhaps only--evidence of a deity who intervenes in this world: no existing photos.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »

Good thing you are no 1980s style Mike Love...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »

With love from the 'United' Kingdom of Great Britain, I literally don't know who John Mayer is.

They know who he is in the Netherlands. His May 3 show in Amsterdam's Ziggo Dome (17,000 seats) was sold out within 20 minutes. A second show later planned for the day before is sold out too...   

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »

A great track. It's also superb that Al and his son Matt were involved on the harmonies!  Cool Guy
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »

I appreciate all the critiques, in a weird sort of way.  I enjoyed their harmony backgrounds.  Bring them forward in the mix?  Sure.  I'd love that.  Must every nice moment be trashed?  Good for Al and Matt.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

Must every nice moment be trashed?

I don't think I would have trashed this track had I not read Mayer's comment that this is a "beach boys thing," then waited with excitement til the work day ended...

...only to discover a very non-Beach Boys style track with sparse, buried harmonies that I never would have recognized as Al and Matt.  It's like telling a kid you're going to Disneyland, then stopping by the Disney Store at the mall and calling it good.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:09:23 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 07:56:22 PM »

I've never been much of a Mayer fan save for his popular stuff but I don't know what it is something is sticking to me with this song, I really enjoy it (but yes shame about the title)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »

Song is terrible, how is an acoustic ballad teenage love type song that sounds like anything else John Mayer did Beach Boys influenced?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx