gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine and John Mayer New Song?!  (Read 11563 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:30:55 AM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDSSgXOuESz/

Not sure if you guys can see this link, but it's from John Mayer's instagram talking about how he has just recorded a "Beach Boy-esque" song with Al and Matt Jardine!! Great to see Al getting recognition from a mainstream popular artist! Maybe this will open the door for similar collabrations for Mike, like with Bruno Mars  LOL LOL LOL
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:09:22 AM »

Yes, Matt posted some pics from the Mayer session on Facebook the other day.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »

That's interesting. You'd think he'd ask Brian (king of harmonies), but Al's voice is in better shape.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

That's interesting. You'd think he'd ask Brian (king of harmonies), but Al's voice is in better shape.

Maybe Mayer's mad he didn't get asked to contribute to NPP. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »

Maybe this will open the door for similar collabrations for Mike, like with Bruno Mars  LOL LOL LOL

Id love a Mars collaboration. Way more interesting than Mayer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »

Maybe this will open the door for similar collabrations for Mike, like with Bruno Mars  LOL LOL LOL

Id love a Mars collaboration. Way more interesting than Mayer.

A friend and I were just talking about him yesterday.  I think Mayer's a very good guitar player.  I think it's a shame he decided to go down the middle of the road singer/songwriter route ala Gavin DeGraw or Ed Sheeran.   

But, I suppose it's earned him a lot of money and the opportunity to spend some intimate time with lot of beautiful women, so he knows what he's doing. 
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »

I always rated Mayer's Indo-Jazz fusion phase.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »

Great guitar player but don't like his music.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »

Great guitar player but don't like his music.

John tours with the Grateful Dead in a band called Dead & Company. They are actually pretty good because it showcases Mayer's guitar skills pretty well, he essentially slotted in for Garcia
KDS
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:16 AM »

Oddly enough, the first time I realized that John Mayer could actually play guitar was when he did a skit on The Chapelle Show back in 2003 or 2004. 

I thought he was just a pop star, trying to sound like a more mainstream version of Dave Matthews. 
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 05:27:50 AM »

Given Al's incredible voice, not to mention his place in music history, I am surprised we have more artists utilizing him.  I think it would be incredible for an indie band to do an Al Jardine album, with Al on all of the leads.  Or maybe Al and a few guys creating a supergroup with a few indie guys and Al where Al takes the leads/duets.  I'm sort of out of it in relation to who is out there these days, but thinking back a few years to Wilco, Beulah, and the like, I think a great album could be created around this idea.

EoL

KDS
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »

Brian is the genius.  Mike is the face.  Carl and Dennis were the heartbeat.  But, poor Al always seemed to get lost in the shuffle. 

Luckily, over the last few years, his voice has graced his solo album, the last BB album, and the most recent BW album. 

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »

Interesting.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »

FYI, here is what john said about the collaboration with al from a rolling stone article (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-mayer-details-four-new-wave-2-songs-w468485 for the whole article):
One Saturday afternoon in fall of 2014, the Beach Boys were doing a performance in an adjacent room [at capital records studio], and Mayer bumped into Jardine in the hallway. "He said, 'If you have anything I can sing on…'," Mayer says, "And I was like, 'Well, I do have this one song…'" Jardine and his son Matt made time that same day to record harmonies on the track. "How many artists do a Beach Boys thing and then have an actual Beach Boy come and sing the thing?" Mayer says. "That's the joy of being in a musical community."

And here is a link to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9nQ51dYOg

btw, what were the BB recording in the fall of 2014 at capital records? im guessing it was no pier pressure maybe and just a brian session?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:56:36 PM by Needleinthhay » Logged
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »

With love from the 'United' Kingdom of Great Britain, I literally don't know who John Mayer is. Love the idea of anyone giving Al his props. Was there any born person ever suited to belting out the first line of Heroes & Villains? Not fussed about some niche guitar player but chuffed if anyone gives Al for his dues for the songs that really matter.

Perfect,  just one more.....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »

Not fussed about some niche guitar player but chuffed if anyone gives Al for his dues for the songs that really matter.

With love from the "United" States of America, I literally have no idea what that means.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

FYI, here is what john said about the collaboration with al from a rolling stone article (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-mayer-details-four-new-wave-2-songs-w468485 for the whole article):
One Saturday afternoon in fall of 2014, the Beach Boys were doing a performance in an adjacent room [at capital records studio], and Mayer bumped into Jardine in the hallway. "He said, 'If you have anything I can sing on…'," Mayer says, "And I was like, 'Well, I do have this one song…'" Jardine and his son Matt made time that same day to record harmonies on the track. "How many artists do a Beach Boys thing and then have an actual Beach Boy come and sing the thing?" Mayer says. "That's the joy of being in a musical community."

And here is a link to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9nQ51dYOg

btw, what were the BB recording in the fall of 2014 at capital records? im guessing it was no pier pressure maybe and just a brian session?

Really like it! Backing vocals are shimmering!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »

Nice to see Al getting some props.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

Unfortunate that Al and Matt's harmonies are so underemphasized in this track. If I had heard this track outside the context of this thread, I probably wouldn't have recognized the Jardines on it.  I'm glad they're getting props (and I'm glad to see Mayer is a fan), but I wish they would have been showcased rather than an afterthought.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »

Unfortunate that Al and Matt's harmonies are so underemphasized in this track. If I had heard this track outside the context of this thread, I probably wouldn't have recognized the Jardines on it.  I'm glad they're getting props (and I'm glad to see Mayer is a fan), but I wish they would have been showcased rather than an afterthought.

Agreed...John said the song has a "beach boys thing" happening in it...i honestly dont hear it...i mean, it has some harmonies during the chorus but the BB arent the only group to ever do that...if i had heard the song without reading what he said, i doubt i wouldve ever thought "oh wow, sounds like it was inspired by the BB"....let alone think it was al and matt singing...

I guess compared to his usual stuff it might be some-what more beach boys-y but i think the thing is John can't change up his "pander to 14 year old girls" formula too much and actually do something like make an ACTUAL bb sounding song
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »

If you are listening via YouTube on a computer or cell speaker you won't hear the subtleties of the song. A more rewarding experience is to be had with a good pair of headphones.  Granted, the song is not in the California Girls vein.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »

If you are listening via YouTube on a computer or cell speaker you won't hear the subtleties of the song. A more rewarding experience is to be had with a good pair of headphones.  Granted, the song is not in the California Girls vein.

I WAS listening via youtube on computer. I will put on headphones and listen via apple music instead. Thanks for the suggestion
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »

Spotify at 320 kbps with Bose QC2 headphones. Al & Son still almost non-existent. Missed opportunity. If you have Al and Matt in studio, use them!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »

I can clearly hear Al and Matt, as well as the Pet Sounds like drum fills. Not sure what all you were expecting from a Mayer track. Obviously too subtle for your tastes.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:24:21 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

I hear Al taking the lower register with headphones on.  It's a good track, and I'm glad both Jardine's got some recognition they so badly deserve.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx