gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:10:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 56165 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2016, 06:07:32 AM »

Surprised that only the two disc version seems to be on Spotify
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »

I'm still mulling over the decision to purchase this new set.  I am probably in the minority, but live tracks do nothing for me.  I have never been interested in hearing live stuff from any artist.  It appears that that the live tracks make up the bulk of previously unreleased material in this new set, and I have every other version of Pet Sounds released in the past.

I might wind up buying the set just for the booklet/pictures/text.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »

Holy Christ, those stereo mixes are a million times cleaner, going to grab this asap.

Edit: Okay, as a guy who spends unhealthy, and downright insane amounts of time mixing his own sh*t... these new mixes are INSANELY good. The new stereo mixes are literally so good I'm getting in the car now to buy it.

Am I just crazy? These really seem like new, clean as sh*t mixes. Putting most of the instruments new one side is *pretty* genius, it allows the original mono genius to come through without the vocals intruding, then lets the vocals blend with the instruments with no clips.... JESUS CHRIST THE FIRST WIBN bridge... "We could be married" listen to the backing vocals....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:28:50 AM by FatherOfTheMan (Vito Salutation) » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »

I was under the impression that, with the possible exceptions of tweaking little bits (Brian's doubled lead on YSBIM, Mike's bridge on WIBN, etc.), the stereo mix of the album proper on this new set is the 1996 stereo mix.

Indeed, I assumed the stuff on this set pulled from the PS Sessions set was mostly all the same mixes done in 1996, just remastered again.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »

It very well could be, but something *SOMETHING* really clicks with me hard about this. I have no clue, as I said I'm likely just crazy Tongue

Edit: Man, I have no clue what it is, it just seems so much smoother and warmer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:31:34 AM by FatherOfTheMan (Vito Salutation) » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »

Just bought it on Amazon.  Was going to go to the store, but of course not a single store in the area has it, so I'll have to wait until Thursday for the physical stuff.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »

I'm still mulling over the decision to purchase this new set.  I am probably in the minority, but live tracks do nothing for me.  I have never been interested in hearing live stuff from any artist.  It appears that that the live tracks make up the bulk of previously unreleased material in this new set, and I have every other version of Pet Sounds released in the past.

I might wind up buying the set just for the booklet/pictures/text.

If you're not into high-rez or live tracks and already have the PS Sessions set, I can't imagine the new set would be a needed purchase.

Ironically, while I'm usually not big on extra swag and books and packaging added to things just to bloat the price, this was one of those times I actually wish they had made the set more lavish with more swag, as that might have made it easier to decide to purchase it.

I do like the somewhat shelf-friendly packaging on this new set.

It's probably something I'll pick up eventually. But it's hard to buy an expensive set that is mostly a double-dip (or triple, quadruple, etc.), especially when for some reason they used almost entirely all previously booted live tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »

Foskett on Pet Sounds:

http://www.examiner.com/article/jeffrey-foskett-remembers-pet-sounds-at-50

Not a bad interview, though folks like Jim Hines, Todd Sucherman, and Mike D'Amico might take exception to one of the interview comments.

Interesting read, many thanks for the link HOWEVER (as quoted)

"I am humbled and honored to sing one of my favorite songs (“Caroline, No”) on the current Beach Boys’ tour. I loved performing this in the 1980’s with Carl Wilson and then decades later with his brother Brian"

Sorry but I don't recall Caroline No being performed much at all in the 80's (if at all) UNLESS of course i am losing my marbles
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »

Foskett on Pet Sounds:

http://www.examiner.com/article/jeffrey-foskett-remembers-pet-sounds-at-50

Not a bad interview, though folks like Jim Hines, Todd Sucherman, and Mike D'Amico might take exception to one of the interview comments.

Interesting read, many thanks for the link HOWEVER (as quoted)

"I am humbled and honored to sing one of my favorite songs (“Caroline, No”) on the current Beach Boys’ tour. I loved performing this in the 1980’s with Carl Wilson and then decades later with his brother Brian"

Sorry but I don't recall Caroline No being performed much at all in the 80's (if at all) UNLESS of course i am losing my marbles

It was in the setlist circa 1988 for a bit I believe, and perhaps now and then at other times in the late 80s. The only 80s performances on the admittedly very incomplete setlist.fm website are two 1988 performances. It appears that, pre-Kokomo in 1988, the BBs VERY briefly got more adventurous with the setlist, as 1988 saw brief runs of doing "This Whole World", "Forever", and "Caroline, No."

One of the funny bits in the 1990 "Hotel Tape" with Brian, Foskett, and Bruce is when Bruce keeps trying to show Brian a new piano arrangement bit he has done for "Caroline, No" and Brian keeps ignoring him.

But yeah, the song was definitely not a regular in the setlist in the 80s.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:19:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »

So the big questions I have to ask is for those bought the Super Deluxe Set. 1st are the session highlights extended at all or are the same ones from the 97 boxset? 2nd is the Good Vibrations track with partial vocal worth hearing?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:05:52 PM by branaa09 » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »

I like all of the live tracks except for that 1982 version of God Only Knows.  What were they thinking with that synthesizer???

The 1993 version of Caroline No might be one of my favorite Carl vocals ever.  I think I almost cried hearing that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:18:41 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »

It's interesting (or not, I suppose) that the "Beach Boys" Facebook page is heavily promoting the PS 50th set, including posting links to the Brian/Al in-studio videos, and Brian and Al are cross-posting/re-posting stuff from the "Beach Boys" Facebook page, but Mike hasn't posted any promotion of the PS 50th set on his Facebook page (as far as I can tell; I haven't scavenged the whole thing; he certainly hasn't promoted it in recent weeks).

He made one post on the PS anniversary a few weeks ago, and posted a link to a YouTube video that promoted his "50 Years of Good Vibrations" tour, and he has mentioned the anniversary in the context of playing songs from the album in his shows.

Another example of bad individual and group management; to not even be able to cross-promote an archival group project.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »

It's interesting (or not, I suppose) that the "Beach Boys" Facebook page is heavily promoting the PS 50th set, including posting links to the Brian/Al in-studio videos, and Brian and Al are cross-posting/re-posting stuff from the "Beach Boys" Facebook page, but Mike hasn't posted any promotion of the PS 50th set on his Facebook page (as far as I can tell; I haven't scavenged the whole thing; he certainly hasn't promoted it in recent weeks).

He made one post on the PS anniversary a few weeks ago, and posted a link to a YouTube video that promoted his "50 Years of Good Vibrations" tour, and he has mentioned the anniversary in the context of playing songs from the album in his shows.

Another example of bad individual and group management; to not even be able to cross-promote an archival group project.

Somewhat related, but I thought it was interesting that the live songs with Brian, Al and company are being labeled as a performance by the Beach Boys.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »

Official or not, this is well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mFlwi8tc
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2016, 07:04:11 PM »

Little disappointed with the book, it looks great but there's not much information in there (kind of like with the Made in California set).  The booklets that came with the Pet Sounds Sessions box were much more comprehensive.

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »

So the big questions I have to ask is for those bought the Super Deluxe Set. 1st are the session highlights extended at all or are the same ones from the 97 boxset? 2nd is the Good Vibrations track with partial vocal worth hearing?

2) Oh god yes. The Good Vibrations (Master Take with Partial Vocal) is probably the stand-out track on the set. There's even a hidden surprise at the end for the die-hard of the die-hards...  Cool
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »

Somewhat related, but I thought it was interesting that the live songs with Brian, Al and company are being labeled as a performance by the Beach Boys.

I smell a lawsuit.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »

2) Oh god yes. The Good Vibrations (Master Take with Partial Vocal) is probably the stand-out track on the set. There's even a hidden surprise at the end for the die-hard of the die-hards...  Cool

Can someone please post this GV track, so we can see is this the one that was used in L&M movie during the GV scenes??
Also I seem to remember that this track was already (if it really is one with partial Carl vocal) released in some bootleg, I think Undecided
Maybe someone can clarify??
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2016, 05:54:31 AM »

2) Oh god yes. The Good Vibrations (Master Take with Partial Vocal) is probably the stand-out track on the set. There's even a hidden surprise at the end for the die-hard of the die-hards...  Cool

Can someone please post this GV track, so we can see is this the one that was used in L&M movie during the GV scenes??
Also I seem to remember that this track was already (if it really is one with partial Carl vocal) released in some bootleg, I think Undecided
Maybe someone can clarify??
I would love for someone to post it to Youtube, then I wouldn't have to buy the huge Deluxe set, btw I am buying the 2 Disc though.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

I'll have the box soon enough, but I'd love to hear that....

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »

I'd also love to hear this version of Good Vibrations, anybody here wanna step up to the plate?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq13oqz06Z0&feature=youtu.be
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »

sounds great and really incomplete.  Enjoyable and then frustrating not having the rest of the parts there.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2016, 10:23:51 PM »

sounds great and really incomplete.  Enjoyable and then frustrating not having the rest of the parts there.

Maybe they are going to release a 100% true-stereo version in October for the 50th anniversary of GV...
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2016, 01:40:34 AM »

Here's my go at it

http://puu.sh/ppL0j/c254bbbeeb.mp3
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx