gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:50:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 55759 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »

From UnCut:

The Beach Boys
Pet Sounds: 50th Anniversary Edition
Capitol

Another generous box chronicling one of pop's greatest achievements

10/10 — Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a definitive edition of The Beach Boys' magnum opus? Pet Sounds still rewards with every listen, retaining the vibrancy of Brian Wilson's intricate arrangements and the bittersweet romanticism of Tony Asher's lyrics. A flop upon its 1966 release, the LP has grown in stature to become a true American rhapsody, which Wilson himself deconstructed on its 30th anniversary. A highly influential '90s CD, The Pet Sounds Sessions, set the template for every subsequent anniversary reissue, collecting the first stereo version as well as instrumentals, vocal tracks and studio puzzle-pieces. Subsequent repackagings simply revisit that idea, turning listeners into armchair producers but failing to replicate the sense of discovery. This new 50th anniversary edition does add a new twist: a handful of live tracks chronicle the band's history and take the studio-bound album onto the stage and, ultimately, out of Wilson's hands, showing how these songs took on a life of their own.
EXTRAS 6/10 — Previously available studio outtakes make up the bulk of the set, complemented by 11 new live tracks and a Blu-ray audio disc, but the real draw is the mono version of the album taken from the '72 Brother/Reprise vinyl reissue.
STEPHEN DEUSNER
a flop upon its 1966 release....yup, a flop that hit #10 in Billboard, and produced 3 hit singles. What did it chart in Cashbox, 99?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »

Always loved Mike's "brrrr". I wonder if that's where Brian wanted to put the horse.

The Beach Boys premiere alternative mix of “I Know There’s an Answer” — listen
 Taken from the forthcoming Pet Sounds (50th Anniversary Edition) release

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/the-beach-boys-premiere-alternative-mix-of-i-know-theres-an-answer-listen/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »

So let me get this straight...

A flat transfer of the original master was used for the 2006 40th anniversary release and also for the 2012 remaster?

And now for this 50th anniversary release they are using the 1972 twofer master? That sounds cool. However, if they are trying to be true to the original release of Pet Sounds, wouldn't using the '72 version but kinda revisionist?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »

Always loved Mike's "brrrr". I wonder if that's where Brian wanted to put the horse.

Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »

So let me get this straight...

A flat transfer of the original master was used for the 2006 40th anniversary release and also for the 2012 remaster?

And now for this 50th anniversary release they are using the 1972 twofer master? That sounds cool. However, if they are trying to be true to the original release of Pet Sounds, wouldn't using the '72 version but kinda revisionist?

Remember the 40th anniversary's original master digital copy from the 80's had the edited intros to several songs which are noticeable when compared to the NY copy. 
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »

Wow, Brian looks and sounds great in this video:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/480296417/pet-sounds-at-50-it-never-gets-old
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »

Thanks for that link! Nice. But I have the feeling that I've seen different parts of at least Mike's interview from other documentaries (or some kind of promo video). Could it be that it was filmed for the Smile webisodes or maybe even for the "Warmth of the sun"-promo?

Cool to see footage from Brian and Al's in studio performance of Pet Sounds. Also Pet Sounds sessions-pictures that I've never seen before plus different footage of the GV sessions than was used before.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:39:58 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »

Sloop John B (Live At Michigan State University/1966)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMRBkheQno
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »

Looks like the live “Sloop” was pulled. Does anyone know which site debuted it? I saw a link to it on Facebook earlier but now can’t find it.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »

Looks like the live “Sloop” was pulled.

Try the link again; it just worked for me.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2016, 03:34:41 AM »

Pet Sounds 50th – Mini Documentary

https://youtu.be/s-2-KLAcIAU

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2016, 03:41:11 AM »

Looks like the live “Sloop” was pulled.

Try the link again; it just worked for me.

New link for  Sloop John B (Live 1966)

https://youtu.be/2mQyJd4gNJw

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2016, 04:21:58 AM »

Pet Sounds 50th – Mini Documentary

https://youtu.be/s-2-KLAcIAU

Sure wish they didn't make it seem like the guy who isn't Chuck Britz IS Chuck Britz. I mean, Chuck's there in the Western footage, but I'd like to know for sure who the engineer in the Columbia footage is. Jerry Hockman? Ralph Valentin? The fact that this footage is from the "Good Vibrations" sessions (and filmed months after Pet Sounds' release) doesn't bother me nearly as much as not knowing for sure who that guy is.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2016, 05:31:32 AM »

Sure wish they didn't make it seem like the guy who isn't Chuck Britz IS Chuck Britz. I mean, Chuck's there in the Western footage, but I'd like to know for sure who the engineer in the Columbia footage is. Jerry Hockman? Ralph Valentin? The fact that this footage is from the "Good Vibrations" sessions (and filmed months after Pet Sounds' release) doesn't bother me nearly as much as not knowing for sure who that guy is.

He's in some of the pics in this thread but isn't identified:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11262.0.html

Couldn't find anything substantial on the net about either men...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:52 PM »

Best Buy-exclusive version of the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary edition will include a bonus “God Only Knows” / “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” 7″ single:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pet-sounds-50th-anniversary-2-cd-7-deluxe-cd/5224101.p?id=3574080&skuId=5224101

Looks like it’s on yellow vinyl? Also looks like it might be an offer for the single instead of an actual single on-package.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:30:57 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2016, 10:27:13 PM »

Pre-orders are up on Amazon.com for the various iterations of the release. June 10, 2016 is the expected release date.
Wouldn't it be nice if they released it on May 16, 2016?

50 years wasn't enough time to get this ready-- Capitol needed that extra month.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2016, 06:12:00 AM »

Best Buy-exclusive version of the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary edition will include a bonus “God Only Knows” / “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” 7″ single:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pet-sounds-50th-anniversary-2-cd-7-deluxe-cd/5224101.p?id=3574080&skuId=5224101

Looks like it’s on yellow vinyl? Also looks like it might be an offer for the single instead of an actual single on-package.

That's what they did with Wings' Venus and Mars/At the Speed of Sound releases. You pay for the shipping, so it's not really "free".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »

Probably the same pressing HmV is offering as a stand-alone exclusive in the UK.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/the-beach-boys-premiere-alternative-mix-of-i-know-theres-an-answer-listen/
  This is a seriously flawed mix - is this really the mix that's on the box set?  At two points (just before the chorus) a split second of a deleted backing vocal part can be heard which immediately cuts out.  Very sloppy.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »

This is a seriously flawed mix - is this really the mix that's on the box set?  At two points (just before the chorus) a split second of a deleted backing vocal part can be heard which immediately cuts out.  Very sloppy.

It may be a vintage mix...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »

Foskett on Pet Sounds:

http://www.examiner.com/article/jeffrey-foskett-remembers-pet-sounds-at-50

Not a bad interview, though folks like Jim Hines, Todd Sucherman, and Mike D'Amico might take exception to one of the interview comments.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »

Just noticed the delux is up on NZ itunes, but not live until the 10th (tomorrow here). The 3 live released tracks can be sampled and purchased.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:25:33 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »

It's going to be a Pet Sounds-a-palooza in the coming weeks within my household.

I've pre-ordered the Super Deluxe Edition off of Amazon and the Stereo Vinyl (with bonus slipmat!) from UDiscover.

Along with that, I snagged the Reprise re-issue off of eBay for $25 earlier!

So I'm a happy camper! w00t!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »

Up now on NZ itunes and spotify. Australia probably as well.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2016, 09:59:17 PM »

Personal notes:

1) I received the 2-disc digital edition as my Amazon Auto-Rip companion. Weird...

2) The first difference I hear? "You Still Believe in Me" in stereo has the double tracked (mono?) Brian vocal over the remaining backing track and vocals.

3) The new stereo WIBN instrumental track isn't as full sounding as 1997 was.

4) Washington DC, 1967 aren't the greatest live recordings I've heard from the band. It gets better in song order.

5) I want Carnegie Hall officially released. GOK sounds amazing, and from what I've seen from the boot, it was a great show.

5a) I had to laugh at Dennis (?) doing backing vocals on GOK at the end.

6) Sloop John B with 1989 Brian sounds great too! I didn't know it was made-for-TV...

7) Overall, I think they could have done a better job with the live tracks, selection-wise. WIBN (x2), SJB (x2), GOK (x4), YSBIM, GV and Caroline (x1).

8.) The mono sounds better than I can remember.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:14:28 AM by pdas1996 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx