gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 55739 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2016, 12:36:01 AM »

Uncut gives the new box 10/10 and identifies one of the highlights as being the '72 CATP two-fer mono master. If I had known that was included, I'd forgotten! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:46:28 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2016, 12:40:15 AM »

Uncut gives the new box 4 stars and identifies one of the highlights as being the '72 CATP two-fer mono master. If I had known that was included, I'd forgotten! Smiley
Is this review online?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:54 AM »

Not sure Eric, my subscription copy was on the doormat when I got home yesterday.

ETA: nothing visible yet on their website. Unfortunately someone's breathing over my shoulder so I can't type it in, short as it is!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:08:58 AM by John Manning » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:11 AM »

Uncut gives the new box 4 stars and identifies one of the highlights as being the '72 CATP two-fer mono master. If I had known that was included, I'd forgotten! Smiley
That's possibly incorrect (the master used was the '66 master, subsequently maimed (WIBN, CN fade) & MIA) or "they"'re presenting a needle drop of the '72 vinyl.

Unless an intact first gen reel has just appeared in the magical dumpster of lost classic rock tapes.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »

Good thinking Alan: I'm currently 60 miles away from my mag and wondering of the choice if the word "master" was my own and not the reviewers, as I thought when I read the review that it might actually be a needle drop. Time - and Amazon and the postman - may tell!

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »

It is indeed from the master used for the 72 Brother/ Reprise release which was originally supervised by Carl. We used it for both the CD and BluRay on the box as well as the new vinyl release.

Mark
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »

Technically speaking, what are the sonic characteristics to listen for which make the '72 master source a better choice than any other available sources?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »

It is indeed from the master used for the 72 Brother/ Reprise release which was originally supervised by Carl. We used it for both the CD and BluRay on the box as well as the new vinyl release.

Mark

Many thanks Mark, damned intriguing! Is the master a recent discovery or was it neatly filed all along, and only recently referenced?

Is the next move a fresh vinyl pressing from it? . Actually scratch that; I have one pressing from that master, and one's as many as I think I need, given that I'll have bought around 10 different incarnations of that album in the last 12 months! LOL I might even have bought at Knebworth in 1980, now I think about it…

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »

Was that 4 out of 5? Why/how on earth would they dock a point?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »

Was this mentioned previously and if so where did I read about it?  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »

Sincere apologies… I've corrected my post - it was a perfect 10.

Not at all sure what happened there… autocorrect? More like dementia creeping in (creeping further in!). Andrew used to call me on my typos all the time Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:16:59 PM by John Manning » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

Mark

Many thanks Mark, damned intriguing! Is the master a recent discovery or was it neatly filed all along, and only recently referenced?

Is the next move a fresh vinyl pressing from it? . Actually scratch that; I have one pressing from that master, and one's as many as I think I need, given that I'll have bought around 10 different incarnations of that album in the last 12 months! LOL I might even have bought at Knebworth in 1980, now I think about it…
Mark, wow, thanks for the above. Some questions if you are able/inclined to answer:
- how was this master made (dubbed 2nd gen?)
- does it have compression or other specific EQ adjustments added as some listeners (at various sites) have suggested/assumed
- was Stephen D involved with this master; ie assisted Carl
- was the '66 master version of WIBN spliced onto this tape thus missing from the now missing '66 master (apols if I have my notes wrong here)
- where did this tape go for the last 44 or so years
- did A/P use this twofer tape for their reissue

Cheers - A
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:17:08 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

From UnCut:

The Beach Boys
Pet Sounds: 50th Anniversary Edition
Capitol

Another generous box chronicling one of pop's greatest achievements

10/10 — Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a definitive edition of The Beach Boys' magnum opus? Pet Sounds still rewards with every listen, retaining the vibrancy of Brian Wilson's intricate arrangements and the bittersweet romanticism of Tony Asher's lyrics. A flop upon its 1966 release, the LP has grown in stature to become a true American rhapsody, which Wilson himself deconstructed on its 30th anniversary. A highly influential '90s CD, The Pet Sounds Sessions, set the template for every subsequent anniversary reissue, collecting the first stereo version as well as instrumentals, vocal tracks and studio puzzle-pieces. Subsequent repackagings simply revisit that idea, turning listeners into armchair producers but failing to replicate the sense of discovery. This new 50th anniversary edition does add a new twist: a handful of live tracks chronicle the band's history and take the studio-bound album onto the stage and, ultimately, out of Wilson's hands, showing how these songs took on a life of their own.
EXTRAS 6/10 — Previously available studio outtakes make up the bulk of the set, complemented by 11 new live tracks and a Blu-ray audio disc, but the real draw is the mono version of the album taken from the '72 Brother/Reprise vinyl reissue.
STEPHEN DEUSNER

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2016, 07:58:10 PM »

From UnCut:

The Beach Boys
Capitol

10/10 — Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a definitive edition of The Beach Boys' magnum opus? Pet Sounds still rewards with every listen, retaining the vibrancy of Brian Wilson's intricate arrangements and the bittersweet romanticism of Tony Asher's lyrics. A flop upon its 1966 release, the LP has grown in stature to become a true American rhapsody, which Wilson himself deconstructed on its 30th anniversary. A highly influential '90s CD, The Pet Sounds Sessions, set the template for every subsequent anniversary reissue, collecting the first stereo version as well as instrumentals, vocal tracks and studio puzzle-pieces. Subsequent repackagings simply revisit that idea, turning listeners into armchair producers but failing to replicate the sense of discovery. This new 50th anniversary edition does add a new twist: a handful of live tracks chronicle the band's history and take the studio-bound album onto the stage and, ultimately, out of Wilson's hands, showing how these songs took on a life of their own.
EXTRAS 6/10 — Previously available studio outtakes make up the bulk of the set, complemented by 11 new live tracks and a Blu-ray audio disc, but the real draw is the mono version of the album taken from the '72 Brother/Reprise vinyl reissue.
STEPHEN DEUSNER

Thumbs Up Cheers, John - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »

From UnCut:

The Beach Boys
Capitol

STEPHEN DEUSNER

Thumbs Up Cheers, John - A

*Jaw drops* Whoa! Would that be on a CD or another disc format?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »

It should be on both the CD disc and the Blu-Ray disc.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:06 AM »

Okay, now pardon my ignorance but before the 1972 twofer master being used on this reissue, what mono master was being used for the prior reissues? Is the original 1966 master not around anymore? Anybody feel like giving me a run through of what's been what?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »

Okay, now pardon my ignorance but before the 1972 twofer master being used on this reissue, what mono master was being used for the prior reissues? Is the original 1966 master not around anymore? Anybody feel like giving me a run through of what's been what?
Well, I thought the original master was what was used for the mono AP re-issue. Maybe, Steve Desper knows the full story as to how the Carl Wilson supervised master of 1972 came to be.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »

If I remember correctly the master being used before this one was the safety copy that was found in (I think) Capitol's New York office which did have Wouldn't It Be Nice on it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »

If I remember correctly the master being used before this one was the safety copy that was found in (I think) Capitol's New York office which did have Wouldn't It Be Nice on it.
For the AP reissue?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »

As far as I'm aware, yeah. This box set is the first I've heard of the '72 Carl/Desper-prepared master being used since the CATP twofer.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »

Sincere apologies… I've corrected my post - it was a perfect 10.

Not at all sure what happened there… autocorrect? More like dementia creeping in (creeping further in!). Andrew used to call me on my typos all the time Wink

Don't joke about that, John, though I'm not sure there's much else you can do!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2016, 04:11:10 AM »

Well, I thought the original master was what was used for the mono AP re-issue. Maybe, Steve Desper knows the full story as to how the Carl Wilson supervised master of 1972 came to be.

The '66 master has been missing since '92.  This was discovered when Mark L went to source the master for use in the GV Box.

Prior to this Mark had used the '66 master for the 87 CD, when he made at least 2 digital transfer copies:
- 1 with No Noise & EQ adjustments to address tape hiss.  Used on the 87 and '90 CDs.
- 1 without No Noise & a flat transfer (no EQ adjustments) which was lost and gone but found and used for the 40th CD in '06 and subsequent Capitol releases.  

For all mono releases post the '88 & '90 CD's & up until the '06 40th anniversary release, a safety copy (2nd gen) made in '66 from the original was used; this safety was also used for the DVD-A.

There is some contention what was used for the DCC & Audio Fidelity Hoffman jobbies in the '90's/naughties (ie, the original or the safety).

I am also led to believe the original master had a duophonic mix of WIBN tacked on, the mono from the master thought to have been cut off and put on a comp reel & the dogs of Caroline No excised, these atrocities have meant that the safety copy has been sourced at various times to augment gaps.

I do not know what was used for the AP reissue - I can only speculate, but from listener comments I've read, I'm guessing the 2nd gen safety was used.

The news of the '72 master is a nice surprise - again, speculating wildly, but I assume Carl and engineer X (not Mr Desper) took a copy of the original master and applied some specific "sonic" signatures or eq adjustments - some listeners have commented the '72 vinyl sounds a little compressed, and a little less boomy on the bass - perhaps these adjustments, IF they happened, were to update/align PS to the sound of the times.

As to where this master has been hiding for the last 44 years, dunno - A

*all of the above re the original tape comes from posts by either Mark L, Bicyclerider or petsite's posts of old: apologies for any gleaning or other errors.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:35:57 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »

The '66 master has been missing since '92.  This was discovered when Mark L went to source the master for use in the GV Box.

Prior to this Mark had used the '66 master for the 87 CD, when he made at least 2 digital transfer copies:
- 1 with No Noise & EQ adjustments to address tape hiss.  Used on the 87 and '90 CDs.
- 1 without No Noise & a flat transfer (no EQ adjustments) which was lost and gone but found and used for the 40th CD in '06 and subsequent Capitol releases.  

For all mono releases post the '88 & '90 CD's & up until the '06 40th anniversary release, a safety copy (2nd gen) made in '66 from the original was used; this safety was also used for the DVD-A.

There is some contention what was used for the DCC & Audio Fidelity Hoffman jobbies in the '90's/naughties (ie, the original or the safety).

I am also led to believe the original master had a duophonic mix of WIBN tacked on, the mono from the master thought to have been cut off and put on a comp reel & the dogs of Caroline No excised, these atrocities have meant that the safety copy has been sourced at various times to augment gaps.

I do not know what was used for the AP reissue - I can only speculate, but from listener comments I've read, I'm guessing the 2nd gen safety was used.

The news of the '72 master is a nice surprise - again, speculating wildly, but I assume Carl and engineer X (not Mr Desper) took a copy of the original master and applied some specific "sonic" signatures or eq adjustments - some listeners have commented the '72 vinyl sounds a little compressed, and a little less boomy on the bass - perhaps these adjustments, IF they happened, were to update/align PS to the sound of the times.

As to where this master has been hiding for the last 44 years, dunno - A

*all of the above re the original tape comes from posts by either Mark L, Bicyclerider or petsite's posts of old: apologies for any gleaning or other errors.

Cheers for bringing it together in one post Alan!  Grin. I've read about the different copies over the years, mostly regarding WIBN but couldn't find where!
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2016, 05:25:25 AM »

Has anyone seen this one??

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Sounds-Stereo-Beach-Boys/dp/B01DB0EBMS/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1464611047&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=PET+SOUNSD+VINYL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx