gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:29:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 56161 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 02:39:39 AM »

I wonder if, to mark the tenth anniversary of the 30th anniversary, there'll be a traditional 12-month delay while Mike rewrites the liner notes? LOL

LOL LOL LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:25 AM »

I wonder if, to mark the tenth anniversary of the 30th anniversary, there'll be a traditional 12-month delay while Mike rewrites the liner notes? LOL

That would be the 20th anniversary of the 30th, actually, but your basic premise holds true (although the answer is "no").  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 03:31:44 AM »

Mr. Doe sometimes you remind me of the gondola driver at the Venician hotel in Vegas.  Such a good ride!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:37 AM »

It wasn't until after I'd chosen my email address as bellagio@... that I realised there even was a Bellagio hotel in Vegas (that's the link: tenuous, innit ?), because for about 18 months thereafter I used to get room enquiries and bookings on a weekly basis. Amusing... for maybe a month.

You must excuse young Manning. He's from the northern territories, where the art of accurate temporal calculation is, as yet, undeveloped.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2016, 03:53:48 AM »

For them as is interested, the 2CD lineup is:

Disc 1: Mono/stereo
  1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  2. You Still Believe In Me
  3. That's Not Me
  4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
  5. I'm Waiting For The Day
  6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
  7. Sloop John B
  8. God Only Knows
  9. I Know There's An Answer
  10. Here Today
  11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
  12. Pet Sounds
  13. Caroline No
  14. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  15. You Still Believe In Me
  16. That's Not Me
  17. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
  18. I'm Waiting For The Day
  19. Let's Go Away For Awhile
  20. Sloop John B
  21. God Only Knows
  22. I Know There's An Answer
  23. Here Today
  24. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
  25. Pet Sounds
  26. Caroline No

Disc: 2: highlights from the 4CD/BluRay box
Michigan State University, October 22, 1966
  1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  2. Sloop John B
  3. God Only Knows
Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall, Washington DC, November 19, 1967
  4. Good Vibrations
  5. God Only Knows
  6. Wouldn't It Be Nice
Carnegie Hall, New York, November 23, 1972 (2nd Show)
  7. God Only Knows
Jamaican World Music Festival, Montego Bay, Jamaica, November, 26, 1982
  8. God Only Knows
Universal Studios, Universal City, California, May, 23, 1989
  9. Sloop John B
Paramount Theater, New York City, November 26, 1993
  10. Caroline No
  11. You Still Believe In Me 

Instrumentals
  12. Wouldn't It Be Nice
  13. You Still Believe In Me
  14. That's Not Me
  15. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
  16. I'm Waiting For The Day
  17. Let's Go Away For A While
  18. Sloop John B
  19. God Only Knows
  20. I Know There's An Answer
  21. Here Today
  22. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
  23. Pet Sounds
  24. Caroline, No

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2016, 04:09:26 AM »

well that changes things a bit, nice set.  sorta fits in better to us die hards who want the new stuff.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2016, 04:12:50 AM »

That's also the digital release, so one can cherry-pick.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »

The 1996/97 set sounds wonderful, and apart from actual upgrades on tape sources (say, for the alternate takes/rough mixes), I doubt this new set will sound better (with the exception of the BD of course). It'll just be mastered louder. Apart from some alternate masterings of the mono mix (Audio Fidelity), I don't think any post-1997 mastering of PS material has sounded better than the PS box.

I think we're, for better and worse, long past the days where any "newer" release and remastering is going to sound better by default.

Nobody can even still really decide which mastering of the mono mix sounds the best. I'd say the DCC and later the Audio Fidelity releases are the best. A lot of people don't like the mono disc on the '97 boxed set. The new DAT source for the 40th anniversary "Fuzzy" digipak sounded better to some, but some thought it sounded too sterile and lifeless.

Meanwhile, we've already had third-party audiophile remasterings of the freaking stereo remix. I guess the MFSL SACD of the stereo mix from a few years back sounds marginally better than the '97 boxed set, but not by much.

I think the original "Pet Sounds Sessions" box is pretty much perfection (ignoring the mono CD). It's still the version of the stereo mix I go to, and that core 3-disc set of the stereo mix/vocals-only/sessions material is mastered expertly.

Next to the DCC and AF mono versions, the PS box set mono is the best sounding version IMO - the DAT 40th anniversary sounds bad probably due to technical limitations of equipment at the time and actual degeneration of the DAT source.  It is the best version of the "New York tape" certainly (DCC and AF were from the now lost master, as was the original 1990 Capitol cd and the DAT copy).

And despite the MFSL release of the stereo remix, I still prefer the box set to all subsequent stereo releases, although I've heard the Acoustic Sounds SACD of the stereo mix is as good or better than the box set - I'll reserve judgment until I hear it.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 05:21:43 AM »

If the 2 CD version had the Good  Vibrations partial vocal track from the box set, I would definitely be in.  But of course that would be too easy for fans who want the unreleased stuff and don't want to repurchase four CDs of tracks we already have.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 05:42:22 AM »

It wasn't until after I'd chosen my email address as bellagio@... that I realised there even was a Bellagio hotel in Vegas (that's the link: tenuous, innit ?), because for about 18 months thereafter I used to get room enquiries and bookings on a weekly basis. Amusing... for maybe a month.

You must excuse young Manning. He's from the northern territories, where the art of accurate temporal calculation is, as yet, undeveloped.

Temporal calculation? Everyone knows that lots of planets have a north… erm…

I'd originally typed anniversary of the 40th anniversary reissue, realised my error and half-corrected it Angry Eeh, I am vexed!

So anyway, the two CD edition will include identical copies of the tracks Pet Sounds and Let's Go Away For a While? (Or will the instrumental version be sure to omit the backing vocal on LGAFaW?)

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »

I SEE your Chris Eccleston reference, John... and I salute you!   Wink

I'm guessing the 2-CD versh will do what the old box did: instead of 'instrumentals', we'll get the basic track minus one overdub for Pet Sounds (the track) and Let's Go... or maybe a headphone-only mix revealing the ghost remnants of the erased vocal on the latter. Or perhaps the set will come with a free alto flute and viola, with an authentic Brian signature: "THIS is what it was, tha cloth-eared numpties! Now go and learn to play them! ...love and mercy, Brian"

Regarding the set... well, tragically (as I have ZERO interest in old 70s and 80s versions of Pet Sounds tracks - the studio originals simply cannot be improved upon, in my view), I'm going to have to spring for the big version, for the GV partial vocal thingy. And I know that's playing EXACTLY into what Capitol hoped for, but I cannot resist the pull of that track.

Plus, I never bought any of the hi-res DVD-Audio stuff, so I can scoop that and all the good stuff on there now by buying this as well. I actually only have two versions of Pet Sounds (1990 CD and 97 box), so the overkill isn't too bad for me.

Plus, we're not talking MiC levels of expense here. £54.99 actually seems pretty reasonable to me for what's in the big set...

...oh - I give up. I admit it. I am in eternal thrall to this album, a hopeless addict; there is no escape...   Wink
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:21:29 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 06:29:29 AM »

I have the DVD Audio version and have tried it on a couple of systems.  I have never found it anything of an 'improvement' over the mono or stereo
remix.  Although, I only experienced the listening on normal people's surrounds systems which were probably not set up appropriately, just plugged
in and played. maybe on an audiophile setup, it could be completely different. but on normal and average listening, this disc really has no point.
so for a joe blow like me. mono or stereo will always be the listening field for me.
hell, I even have 'Brian Wilson Live 2000' and 'Imagination' in these formats. There is no advantage for me as a punter. only as a collector.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:31:20 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »

I'll probably spring for the lot, but over time to ease the impact on the wage packet.

As these cannot be deemed essential purchases on any humanitarian level whatsoever, I'll also be donating a similar sum to a Syrian refugee fund. Hell knows, they need it more than I really need another copy of Pet Sounds.

I regard my Pet Sounds addiction as an illness. I have a dream of a Paradise in which I have time to listen to and compare all this incarnations of my favourite album, while being served pints of Theakstons Peculiar Barista Stout by 72 blonde California virgins.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »

Do we have any UK prices for this yet?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 08:54:56 AM »

4CD £55, 2CD £18. Ish.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

It seems to me that this set would have been a perfect opportunity to include live versions of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", and "Pet Sounds" from the 2012 tour, or maybe even a mini DVD of performances of said songs. It would have really brought Pet Sounds "full circle".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »

It seems to me that this set would have been a perfect opportunity to include live versions of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", and "Pet Sounds" from the 2012 tour, or maybe even a mini DVD of performances of said songs. It would have really brought Pet Sounds "full circle".

That's a nice idea (what's a "mini DVD" though?)

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »

4CD £55, 2CD £18. Ish.

Thanks!

I'd feel guilty if I didn't buy the  4CD set but bearing in mind I have the original box, I may get by on the with the 2CD version
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »

That's a nice idea (what's a "mini DVD" though?)
I didn't know what to call it. LOL I don't know...DVD ep?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »

I'll probably spring for the lot, but over time to ease the impact on the wage packet.

As these cannot be deemed essential purchases on any humanitarian level whatsoever, I'll also be donating a similar sum to a Syrian refugee fund. Hell knows, they need it more than I really need another copy of Pet Sounds.

I regard my Pet Sounds addiction as an illness. I have a dream of a Paradise in which I have time to listen to and compare all this incarnations of my favourite album, while being served pints of Theakstons Peculiar Barista Stout by 72 blonde California virgins.

I think that should be part of the VIP package. 
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »

Sad to see no Trombone Dixie or Unreleased Backgrounds in the 2 CD release because those tracks were revelations for the casual fan in the original CD that was released just before the Two Fors. I took my copy over to a friends house to listen to since I didn't own a cd player at that time. We were in his living room listening to Unreleased Backgrounds when his mom walked in and when the overdub part played we stood silent with awe.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »

I sincerely hope we at least get a digital release of the complete Michigan afternoon and evening shows and the DAR show.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »

If the 2 CD version had the Good  Vibrations partial vocal track from the box set, I would definitely be in.  But of course that would be too easy for fans who want the unreleased stuff and don't want to repurchase four CDs of tracks we already have.

Yeah, I had thought they had taken care of us previous box set owners, but then saw Good Vibrations was missing. Sigh.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2016, 03:12:48 AM »

This is wrong on so many levels: a reissue of the 2008 vinyl reissue, due April:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001B0G5WA

Where do I get my plastic lop-eared goat?

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2016, 07:58:57 AM »

This is wrong on so many levels: a reissue of the 2008 vinyl reissue, due April:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001B0G5WA

Where do I get my plastic lop-eared goat?

Yes, it's still freely available online and in some stores.  Maybe it's a stock photo but I didn't imagine it would be any different from the Vaults release of 2010. Money grab! Stick to the AP.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx