gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:36:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 55754 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »

will we ever get the version of "Here Today" from the "American Band" documentary?

While I would love that mix, that was a mix made specifically for that documentary for odd reasons.

Apologies if everybody knows this story, but Alan Boyd (I believe) explained a long time back that the producers of "An American Band" had permission to use the multitracks, but not to use any finished, final Capitol mixes. So they had to go out of their way to make sure the mixes in the documentary were demonstrably different. It's also probably why they had to resort to live versions of things like "409" and "Shut Down", because there was no way to remix those and make them sound notably different.

This info explained why all the songs in that documentary sound so screwy sonically. The fringe benefit was sometimes a neat-sounding alternate mix.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »

By sheer chance the original version of Wouldn't Be Nice is the version with Brian on the bridge for me.  Back before I started buying music (I was 12/13), the version I downloaded had Brian singing the bridge.  I wasn't even aware of Mike singing the bridge until I bought 50 Big Ones.  I definitely like Brian on the bridge much more.  
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 01:15:16 PM »

will we ever get the version of "Here Today" from the "American Band" documentary?

While I would love that mix, that was a mix made specifically for that documentary for odd reasons.

Apologies if everybody knows this story, but Alan Boyd (I believe) explained a long time back that the producers of "An American Band" had permission to use the multitracks, but not to use any finished, final Capitol mixes. So they had to go out of their way to make sure the mixes in the documentary were demonstrably different. It's also probably why they had to resort to live versions of things like "409" and "Shut Down", because there was no way to remix those and make them sound notably different.

This info explained why all the songs in that documentary sound so screwy sonically. The fringe benefit was sometimes a neat-sounding alternate mix.
thank you I didn't know that,,, Grin
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this release.  I have just about every Pet Sounds release and will probably buy this for completist sake (the book might be nice!).

It's also a little annoying to hear them talk about the mono and stereo vinyl versions as if it's they will be something to get excited about.  Maybe someone should remind Capitol/UMe that the AP vinyl and SACDs are out there!  Can they improve on those?

A poster would have been nice, some preprinted and signed sheet music, the Brian doll etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:19:06 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »

I'm a bit underwhelmed by this release.  I have just about every Pet Sounds release and will probably buy this for completist sake (the book might be nice!).

It's also a little annoying to hear them talk about the mono and stereo vinyl versions as if it's they will be something to get excited about.  Maybe someone should remind Capitol/UMe that the AP vinyl and SACDs are out there!  Can they improve on those?

A poster would have been nice, some preprinted and signed sheet music, the Brian doll etc.

All of the above.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »

Some promo blurbs have teased "other merchandise", so there may be other posters and shirts and things of that nature, as well as of course Brian merch (the doll perhaps) and Brian tour merch.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »

I think either the '97 box or the short-lived 1999 mono/stereo two-fer are the only way to get Brian's bridge vocal on the stereo WIBN. That might be all.

Count me in as a huge advocate of the Brian-sung bridge. Huge. Even if it's not the version that was released in 1966, I first fell in love with PS from this 1997 stereo mix with Brian singing the bridge, and I don't think Mike's vocals in that section hold a candle to Brian's. The emotion is greatly lost, IMO. The way Brian sings the word "if", just for one, has so much longing, and Mike's just sounds nasal and whiney to my ears (and I say that being a fan of many other Mike vocals).

Absolutely no contest here. I think that many people who prefer Mike's bridge may feel that way because they fell in love with the mono version, and heard it for decades, and anything else doesn't sound "right". Maybe my opinion is just as colored, but I really don't think so.

Since there was so much flip-flopping by Brian of who would sing this section, I wonder if Brian was persuaded/talked into putting Mike on the released version, possibly as a way to make up to Mike for Mike's small amount of lead vocal parts on the album. It's clearly a very big deal to Mike that his vocals be in that section.
It matters to Mike and to a lot of us, because that is the way it was originally released. Of course you opinion is colored, as is everyone's. You like what you like and the rest of like what we like. I also don't prefer Brian singing lead on Surf's Up either. I've heard Carl's lead for 40 years before hearing Brian and I prefer Carl's vocal. There is no underlying conspiracy or like/hate thing going on, just a preference to what I am used to hearing.

I'm willing to concede that everyone (including me) can have their opinions colored by falling in love with the version they heard first. But I truly don't have some automatic aversion to Mike's vocals over Brian's (Mike's "Here Today" vocal trumps Brian's IMO, just as I think Brian's original speed "Caroline, No" trumps the released version... I can easily make those statements  Smiley).

For the WIBN bridge, the delivery of the vocal between Brian and Mike is quite a difference in terms of mood and tone for the song as a whole... Mike delivers those WIBN bridge lines in a bit of a chipper and happy-sounding way, compared to Brian's bridge vocals which sound more aching. Brian's "if" sounds like it comes from a similar emotional place as his overall vocal delivery on IJWMFTT, while Mike delivers the word "then" not too dissimilarly to how he sings "whennnn" on the comparatively lightweight "Be True to Your School"... and it's just inferior by comparison... IMHO.

We're lucky to have had the problem with the missing multi track, in the era before vocal extraction was possible, if only because it resulted in hear a glorious stereo version with Brian in place. I think that if the tables were turned, and that Brian's vocals were in place all along in all released versions from 1966 on, and then that bridge lead went missing, and they released Mike's vocal in that section for the stereo remix in 1997, people would not largely think Mike's vocal was better than Brian's part.  Think about it. And truly, I think that's the case irrespective of any band politics, or what people think of those two gentlemen on a personal level.

It's all opinion, of course. Yet I think my theory would be proven if people new to the band, or people unaware of the band's members or any political BS would listen to the two versions back-to-back. I think Brian's bridge easily would pass the Pepsi challenge!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:33:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »

Also, Mike explained that radio started playing the stereo mix instead of the mono and wanted a stereo mix to match the mono mix. By 2001 they had the technology to do so, and they did.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »

Also, Mike explained that radio started playing the stereo mix instead of the mono and wanted a stereo mix to match the mono mix. By 2001 they had the technology to do so, and they did.

During the time of Pet Sounds Session box set's assembly, I would not have wanted to be the guy whose job it was to tell Mike that they couldn't find a multi-track for his vocal, and that Brian's was then the only option.

I wonder what circumstances came about in BB land that the improved technology (allowing for vocal extraction) led to another new version. I wonder if Mike or an assistant was asking around for several years when that technology could be developed, or if the producers involved knew from 1997 how important it was to Mike, and they just gave him a head's up in 2001 that they could now make a flown-in vocal version.

All things considered, I guess we're quite lucky that only a small handful of elements were missing from the Pet Sounds stereo mix.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »

Not gonna buy it. I don't have any interest in owning 100 versions of Pet Sounds and it songs. Plus the live section makes it kind of stupid listening experience (same songs multiple times). Bums me out they take time and "effort" to release this but no Holland, Sunflower or Love You boxsets, which I'd be drooling over. Mainstream doesn't care if it's Beach Boys Pet Sounds box or Beach Boys Love You box - they're not buing it. So why not please the fans?
I don't need a Love You box, but Holland or Sunflower? Yeah, I'd buy those. How many times are they going to reissue Pet Sounds, as if it was the only thing the band ever did?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

I'm not at all angered or surprised about this new PS release. It was an obvious release that was sure to happen.

I'm a bit surprised that they've gone to such lengths to do a big 5-disc boxed set with so little new content.

It has been nearly 20 years since the PS Sessions box. Just as there are younger fans going to Brian shows who weren't around to see the 2000 PS tour and whatnot, there are probably people who will buy the new PS box and be unaware that it's largely a reissue of a nearly 20-year-old boxed set.

Just like PS has allowed a re-branding of Brian's tour to the point that he's selling multiple venues out and booking 80+ shows even though it's the same band and a lot of the same songs that people could have seen last year, so too does this new set re-brand what has already mostly been there the whole time.

My problem isn't with sets like this. I just wish they'd also open the vaults up for download releases. Live shows if nothing else would be easy; they own the tapes; they don't even have to go through a major label.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

I'm not at all angered or surprised about this new PS release. It was an obvious release that was sure to happen.

I'm a bit surprised that they've gone to such lengths to do a big 5-disc boxed set with so little new content.

It has been nearly 20 years since the PS Sessions box. Just as there are younger fans going to Brian shows who weren't around to see the 2000 PS tour and whatnot, there are probably people who will buy the new PS box and be unaware that it's largely a reissue of a nearly 20-year-old boxed set.

Just like PS has allowed a re-branding of Brian's tour to the point that he's selling multiple venues out and booking 80+ shows even though it's the same band and a lot of the same songs that people could have seen last year, so too does this new set re-brand what has already mostly been there the whole time.

My problem isn't with sets like this. I just wish they'd also open the vaults up for download releases. Live shows if nothing else would be easy; they own the tapes; they don't even have to go through a major label.

I'd love nothing more than a release of vault shows like you've suggested. But with an example of the vintage Knebworth 1980 concert containing some vocals drenched in autotune (ie. the lead on California Girls), that makes me think that maybe some band members are way too nitpicky and self-concious to just allow a full show to be released in raw form, without porting over every last song, and all the associated politics and signoffs that this would entail. Maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet? Very frustrating.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »

Post-1960s stuff has in general been a sensitive topic over the years with the band, or at least some members. It's why stuff like "Hawthorne, CA" probably had few post-1969 tracks.

I've never detected strong autotune on Knebworth 1980 (Mike's voice is the only possible candidate, and I know during the 1980 tour he was using a bit of a vocal effect on his mic, a sort of phasey/flange effect; you can hear it during the 1980 DC show as well). I've been listening to Knebworth tracks since they included a number of the songs from the show on the "20th Anniversary" TV special in 1981, and I don't hear anything egregious on that one. Subsequently I haven't heard them apply autotune to other vintage live tracks.

Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

Thanks for posting, AGD.

I have to say, this might be the first thing since my real fandom began--greatest hits comp/reissues notwithstanding--that I'm not going to buy. It looks great for someone who doesn't have the vast majority of it. If I didn't have the previous PS box I'd be all over it. But the new stuff just doesn't warrant the (presumably) substantial cost.

Same here.

The BBs are still my favourite group of all time, and i'd definitely buy any kind of Hawthorne, CA type release, or Bedroom Tapes box set, but i think i've reached saturation with this kind of stuff. Maybe it's my age, maybe my lack of time to listen to the mounds of music i already own, maybe i resent being so frequently milked, but i'll pass.

I've got a ticket to see Brian on tour in May and i have:

original US vinyl
Carl & The Passions & Pet Sounds original vinyl
2xLP mono stereo yellow/green vinyl reissue
DVD-A
1997 Box Set
the 1999 remaster CD

That's plenty good enough for me.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »

I'd love nothing more than a release of vault shows like you've suggested. But with an example of the vintage Knebworth 1980 concert containing some vocals drenched in autotune (ie. the lead on California Girls), that makes me think that maybe some band members are way too nitpicky and self-concious to just allow a full show to be released in raw form, without porting over every last song, and all the associated politics and signoffs that this would entail. Maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet? Very frustrating.
Not sure about how Mike reacted as the box set was being prepared, but the request of adding his vocal to the bridge had to have been a few years later if the radio explanation is correct. Mike probably had no idea that they would start playing the stereo mix as much as they did.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »

Not sure about how Mike reacted as the box set was being prepared, but the request of adding his vocal to the bridge had to have been a few years later if the radio explanation is correct. Mike probably had no idea that they would start playing the stereo mix as much as they did.

I don't know about you, but whenever I hear WIBN on the radio, or played somewhere in public, and it's obvious that it's a stereo version (which it often is), I to listen to it through with eager anticipation to hear if it's gonna be Mike's flown-in original bridge vocal, or the Brian bridge vocal. I would not be surprised if Mike does the same thing to this day.

I'm not sure what the ratio is these days (of which version gets played), but it's a bit like watching the Dick Van Dyke show and seeing if he's gonna trip over the ottoman or not.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »

I don't know about you, but whenever I hear WIBN on the radio, or played somewhere in public, and it's obvious that it's a stereo version (which it often is), I to listen to it through with eager anticipation to hear if it's gonna be Mike's flown-in original bridge vocal, or the Brian bridge vocal. I would not be surprised if Mike does the same thing to this day.

I'm not sure what the ratio is these days (of which version gets played), but it's a bit like watching the Dick Van Dyke show and seeing if he's gonna trip over the ottoman or not.
I don't give it much thought, but it has been a very long time since I last heard the Brian bridge on the radio. I'd say Mike got his wish.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »

I'm going to assume for now that the inclusion of four Good Vibes-related/actual tracks implies there's unlikely to be a GVs 50th anniversary release later this year. Between the multi-version CD single, the TSS box and this set, that particular well must surely be home dry by now?

“We live in divisive times.”
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:50 PM »

The backing vocals for "Don't Talk" are the most spine tingling beach boy moment for me. It's like hearing God in a multitude of Brian's voices

Same
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »

All of those excerpted concerts should just be released in full. WHERE'S THAT NOVEMBER 1967 TOUR BOX SET?!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »

All of those excerpted concerts should just be released in full. WHERE'S THAT NOVEMBER 1967 TOUR BOX SET?!
Waiting to be released on November 2017.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2016, 12:57:52 AM »

yonder comes the merch. open your wallets again, again.
https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/Pet-Sounds-50th-Anniversary/
ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »

First the Smile surfboard now a Pet Sounds beach ball? Can they make more misguided merch?

I wonder If these will be real Brian sigs or more forgeries?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2016, 01:24:05 AM »

Just pre-ordered the Yorkshire-exclusive string vest, knotted hanky, bottle of Factor 60+, stripey deck chair and knee-length Speedos bundle, which comes with a 23p-off voucher for a 99 cornet from Luigi's van on Scarborough seafront.

Frankly, I'd rather they did a version that came wih a plastic goat.

I'll get a version that comes with the best music ever made.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:26:01 AM by John Manning » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »

I wonder if, to mark the tenth anniversary of the 30th anniversary, there'll be a traditional 12-month delay while Mike rewrites the liner notes? LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx