gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:29:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 50 track listing  (Read 56100 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 06:14:39 AM »

I'll probably just listen to it on Spotify unless I end up getting a surround sound system.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »

My old PS box set is somewhere in Nicaragua, so I'll be one purchaser of this.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 06:29:41 AM »

I'd really only be willing to purchase this if I could get it on the cheap.  But, I'm thinking that'll be unlikely.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

I'd really only be willing to purchase this if I could get it on the cheap.  But, I'm thinking that'll be unlikely.

Same here. There is not enough "NEW" to make this a worthwhile purchase for me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/thebeachboys/photos/a.397026689139.172152.8216394139/10154003113859140/?type=3&theater
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »

I agree with Hey Jude. 

I would've thought a live version of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times would've been an obvious choice.  I'm sure they have plenty of good soundboard versions from which to choose. 

Also, other than the live disc, is there anything to differentiate this from the Pet Sounds Sessions released in 1997? 

The high-rez disc is new (though we did get a different high-rez standalone release with the DVD-Audio circa 2003), though no new material is on it (though this is the first high-rez release of the instrumental album).

I think the "Good Vibrations" partial vocal tape is new (though of course previously booted), and likely included due to interest stirred up by the partial isolated GV vocals heard in the "Love and Mercy" film.

I would assume the "stereo" mix on this box will be the latest iteration of it as opposed to the original 1996 version (meaning the few tweaks such as Mike's bridge vocal on WIBN).

But yeah, I think there's literally nothing new and previously unheard/unbooted on the set. I'd have to think Capitol/UME allotted a relatively small budget to this thing, as it's cobbled together mostly from old releases and a small amount of mostly known and easily at-hand live shows.

As for the packaging, I do think it's a nice sleek design for a five-disc set. Certainly how I normally prefer multi-disc sets as opposed to pretty but giant and unwieldy packaging.

However, I'm going to be the "impossible to please" fan for another moment and say I was actually kind of hoping for something more elaborate and filled with goodies to make me want to buy it. As it is now, I have even less motivation to get this, especially for $80.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »

I'm getting it not just to be a completist, but also....let's face it: The Pet Sounds Sessions was done in 1996. There most certainly is a sonic upgrade over the past 20 years -- especially since a great deal of the original PSS was *analog*. I'd love to hear a nice digital upgrade.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
KDS
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »

I agree with Hey Jude. 

I would've thought a live version of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times would've been an obvious choice.  I'm sure they have plenty of good soundboard versions from which to choose. 

Also, other than the live disc, is there anything to differentiate this from the Pet Sounds Sessions released in 1997? 

The high-rez disc is new (though we did get a different high-rez standalone release with the DVD-Audio circa 2003), though no new material is on it (though this is the first high-rez release of the instrumental album).

I think the "Good Vibrations" partial vocal tape is new (though of course previously booted), and likely included due to interest stirred up by the partial isolated GV vocals heard in the "Love and Mercy" film.

I would assume the "stereo" mix on this box will be the latest iteration of it as opposed to the original 1996 version (meaning the few tweaks such as Mike's bridge vocal on WIBN).

But yeah, I think there's literally nothing new and previously unheard/unbooted on the set. I'd have to think Capitol/UME allotted a relatively small budget to this thing, as it's cobbled together mostly from old releases and a small amount of mostly known and easily at-hand live shows.

As for the packaging, I do think it's a nice sleek design for a five-disc set. Certainly how I normally prefer multi-disc sets as opposed to pretty but giant and unwieldy packaging.

However, I'm going to be the "impossible to please" fan for another moment and say I was actually kind of hoping for something more elaborate and filled with goodies to make me want to buy it. As it is now, I have even less motivation to get this, especially for $80.

Here's another question.   

If I were to purchase this box (not for $80, but if I found a bargain), would there be a need to get the previous Pet Sounds Box?

Ie.  Is there anything on that box that isn't on this one?

Or is this another case of Good Vibrations v Made in California where both have different rarities? 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »

The 1996/97 set sounds wonderful, and apart from actual upgrades on tape sources (say, for the alternate takes/rough mixes), I doubt this new set will sound better (with the exception of the BD of course). It'll just be mastered louder. Apart from some alternate masterings of the mono mix (Audio Fidelity), I don't think any post-1997 mastering of PS material has sounded better than the PS box.

I think we're, for better and worse, long past the days where any "newer" release and remastering is going to sound better by default.

Nobody can even still really decide which mastering of the mono mix sounds the best. I'd say the DCC and later the Audio Fidelity releases are the best. A lot of people don't like the mono disc on the '97 boxed set. The new DAT source for the 40th anniversary "Fuzzy" digipak sounded better to some, but some thought it sounded too sterile and lifeless.

Meanwhile, we've already had third-party audiophile remasterings of the freaking stereo remix. I guess the MFSL SACD of the stereo mix from a few years back sounds marginally better than the '97 boxed set, but not by much.

I think the original "Pet Sounds Sessions" box is pretty much perfection (ignoring the mono CD). It's still the version of the stereo mix I go to, and that core 3-disc set of the stereo mix/vocals-only/sessions material is mastered expertly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:45:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »

I agree with Hey Jude. 

Here's another question.   

If I were to purchase this box (not for $80, but if I found a bargain), would there be a need to get the previous Pet Sounds Box?

Or is this another case of Good Vibrations v Made in California where both have different rarities? 

I think either the '97 box or the short-lived 1999 mono/stereo two-fer are the only way to get Brian's bridge vocal on the stereo WIBN. That might be all.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »

I agree with Hey Jude. 

Here's another question.   

I think either the '97 box or the short-lived 1999 mono/stereo two-fer are the only way to get Brian's bridge vocal on the stereo WIBN. That might be all.
Not at my computer but I think that's on iTunes. If not, it's a very good point.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 07:46:48 AM »

Thanks for the info HJ,

This is one that I might keep an eye on to see if the asking price comes down. 

If not, I'll likely pass. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »

Not at my computer but I think that's on iTunes. If not, it's a very good point.

Yeah, I couldn't even begin to guess *which* version(s) of PS are used for iTunes and other digital or streaming services.

I think for a variety of reasons they've tried to kind of erase the "Brian bridge" version of WIBN in favor of the rejiggered version with Mike. I like the idea of having Mike on it to correctly reference the mono mix.

My preference for the "Brian bridge" version has less to do with it being Brian singing instead of Mike, and more to do with the funky stuff that happens to the sound stage of the stereo mix when Mike's bridge comes in. It kind of collapses down to pseudo-mono/half-way stereo. Perhaps they've continued to refine this with extractions and whatnot compared to the first attempt to "extract" Mike's vocal for the first time in 2001.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »

Thanks for the info HJ,

Yeah, it's definitely one of those things where I couldn't really say someone should get the '97 box set *instead* of this new set. If you collect live boots and don't care about high-rez, then a cheapie used copy of the old boxed set is probably fine, though.

KDS
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »

Thanks for the info HJ,

Yeah, it's definitely one of those things where I couldn't really say someone should get the '97 box set *instead* of this new set. If you collect live boots and don't care about high-rez, then a cheapie used copy of the old boxed set is probably fine, though.

I'm a fan of rare tracks and live stuff more so than studio sessions, alternative takes/mixs.  That's why I got the 2 CD Smile Sessions as opposed to the deluxe one.  That's also why I, reluctantly, paid $90 for the 6 disc MIC. 

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »

Hrmmm, the live stuff is intriguing. But I selfishly kind of wish they had picked some different live takes. While those live tracks are technically "previously unreleased", they've literally all been booted in one form or another (with the possible exception of the '89 track; but I presume that take might have been heard in the '89 "Endless Summer" TV show). Four live versions of "God Only Knows" and they couldn't find at least one that hadn't been booted?

I figured a Billy Hinsche '75 lead on "I'm Waiting for the Day" was unlikely, and they probably don't have a soundboard on that one anyway. I would presume there's no soundboard recording of Carl's "Don't Talk" from the '74 tour either.

A tiny bit surprised they didn't pull IJWMFTT or "Pet Sounds" from the 2012 tour, but maybe C50 is *that* much of a political minefield at this stage.

I know BB fans (or any fans) can sometimes be impossible to please, but I guess we really do have to just look at this as a reissue of the PS Sessions box. We all knew something like this was going to happen when the 50th hit.

That all being said, the Carnegie Hall '72 live version of GOK (heard very briefly during the montage in the "Endless Harmony" doc) is probably my favorite live version ever. I like the prominent piano on that one.

I suppose I might spring for this if it has really nice packaging or something.

Agreed.  I always clamored for a live version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" with Carl on the lead vocals.   He gave a more soulful reading of the song than Al did.  

Seems like a lot of stuff from the old box set was carried over to this one.  Not sure if that warrants another purchase of this album.  Pet Sounds is sure great and all, but how many times are they going to repackage this damn thing???  When's that 10-disc box set of Summer In Paradise gonna come out?

Still, I will probably pick this up one more time for the new features.    The only thing missing are new remixes courtesy of will.i.am.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:01:03 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »

Thanks for the info HJ,

I'm a fan of rare tracks and live stuff more so than studio sessions, alternative takes/mixs.  That's why I got the 2 CD Smile Sessions as opposed to the deluxe one.  That's also why I, reluctantly, paid $90 for the 6 disc MIC. 

Agreed.  Can understand why people dig the sessions stuff, but I can't really get that much out of it myself.  It's interesting to hear once or twice,  but serves no other purpose for me otherwise.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
KDS
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 08:11:27 AM »

Thanks for the info HJ,

Agreed.  Can understand why people dig the sessions stuff, but I can't really get that much out of it myself.  It's interesting to hear once or twice,  but serves no other purpose for me otherwise.

Same here.  It's pretty cool to hear how a song evolves and takes shape, it doesn't really lend itself to repeat listening. 

If I had a wish list for Pet Sounds related releases, I'd love a deluxe DVD or BluRay from this tour with a full unabridged concert, along with some extra goodies like tour rehearsals, interviews, etc etc. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 10:42:17 AM »

I'd rather just buy Disc 4 by itself, just to hear all those live versions of GOK. I've already got two PS box sets, don't really need another one.
KDS
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »

I'd rather just buy Disc 4 by itself, just to hear all those live versions of GOK. I've already got two PS box sets, don't really need another one.

Maybe one day, we'll get a really live live anthology with full concerts from all the different eras. 

But, I'm really not holding my breath with the recent digital only releases (ie Chicago 1965).
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:08 AM »

will we ever get the version of "Here Today" from the "American Band" documentary?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »

The live tracks are also on the 2CD version.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »

Count me in as a huge advocate of the Brian-sung bridge. Huge. Even if it's not the version that was released in 1966, I first fell in love with PS from this 1997 stereo mix with Brian singing the bridge, and I don't think Mike's vocals in that section hold a candle to Brian's. The emotion is greatly lost, IMO. The way Brian sings the word "if", just for one, has so much longing, and Mike's just sounds nasal and whiney to my ears (and I say that being a fan of many other Mike vocals).

Absolutely no contest here. I think that many people who prefer Mike's bridge may feel that way because they fell in love with the mono version, and heard it for decades, and anything else doesn't sound "right". Maybe my opinion is just as colored, but I really don't think so.

Since there was so much flip-flopping by Brian of who would sing this section, I wonder if Brian was persuaded/talked into putting Mike on the released version, possibly as a way to make up to Mike for Mike's small amount of lead vocal parts on the album. It's clearly a very big deal to Mike that his vocals be in that section.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:33:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

Count me in as a huge advocate of the Brian-sung bridge. Huge. Even if it's not the version that was released in 1966, I first fell in love with PS from this 1997 stereo mix with Brian singing the bridge, and I don't think Mike's vocals in that section hold a candle to Brian's. The emotion is greatly lost, IMO. The way Brian sings the word "if", just for one, has so much longing, and Mike's just sounds nasal and whiney to my ears (and I say that being a fan of many other Mike vocals).

Absolutely no contest here. I think that many people who prefer Mike's bridge may feel that way because they fell in love with the mono version, and heard it for decades, and anything else doesn't sound "right". Maybe my opinion is just as colored, but I really don't think so.

Since there was so much flip-flopping by Brian of who would sing this section, I wonder if Brian was persuaded/talked into putting Mike on the released version, possibly as a way to make up to Mike for Mike's small amount of lead vocal parts on the album. It's clearly a very big deal to Mike that his vocals be in that section.
It matters to Mike and to a lot of us, because that is the way it was originally released. Of course you opinion is colored, as is everyone's. You like what you like and the rest of like what we like. I also don't prefer Brian singing lead on Surf's Up either. I've heard Carl's lead for 40 years before hearing Brian and I prefer Carl's vocal. There is no underlying conspiracy or like/hate thing going on, just a preference to what I am used to hearing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:47:25 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »

I don't think anyone doubts it would matter to Mike. I'd be stunned if it didn't.

Supposedly/allegedly, Carl took issue with the mix differences upon hearing of the project in 1996. Presumably, it was explained that they were using all extant multitracks, and of course eventually everybody signed off on it.

They surely would have used Mike's vocal from the outset if it was on the multitracks. We first heard Brian's bridge lead in "An American Band", and both cases were basically just flukes based on extant tapes.

Now both Brian and Mike versions are available, in multiple mixes, and the dropped-in Mike version is included on all releases. So what's to argue about?

Mike nor anyone else can be mad about the initial 1996 stereo mix; they didn't have the resources to drop Mike's vocal in. Five years later they did, with mixed success, and ever since that has been the norm.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx