gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Steve Love A Credible Source?  (Read 51589 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »

...  Stephen was also in charge of hiding me in the sauna/tape storage room when one person would visit the offices who didn't want me there.  He obviously thought it was all pretty funny.  So did I.

OK, Debbie, if you're at liberty to do so, let's hear more about this story!  Smiley

(And, as far as I'm concerned, it fine for threads to go off on various tangents - it happens all the time, not only on message boards but in actual conversations as well. Also fine for posters to call for a return to the main topic at hand, but that's often a fruitless endeavor. I find posts from people like Debbie and Ed, who were actually there at the time, to be very informative and of greater interest than endless speculation from those of us who were not.)

Also, Debbie, I'm sure you've answered this before, but do you recall exact time frame (month and year you started and stopped) when you worked for the BBs? The Sunflower era is an especially interesting one to me as my fandom had reached incredible heights, but it was coupled with frustration that so few people (in the US at least) were willing to listen the the band at that time.

I was there Aug-Nov 69.  I'm pretty sure that was the timing of the Sunflower mixing sessions - like I said, I didn't journal (sorry)  I returned Apr to whenever, '70.  I'm thinking probably Aug or Sept. was when I had to leave.  Steve had the job of telling me I'd been "found out" and even though they all loved me, I had to stop coming in.  I'm not about to share who wanted me gone.  It was silly and everyone was very young.

Thanks for the info, Debbie. (No matter, but I think I may have just realized who the person in question might have been. Or maybe not!)

Anyway, considering the time frame, I've got another question for you. -- What was your sense of the BBs level of concern about their declining popularity in the US during the time you were working at Ivar? Did you detect any level of desperation? Or did they seem content that they were popular overseas and confident that their new contract with Warner/Reprise and forthcoming album (entitled Add Some Music when I first heard about it, but later changed to Sunflower after the relative failure of the Add Some Music single in Feb. 1970) would lead to a renewed level of record sales success? Did they seem happy to be rid of the Capitol Records contract? Were they (and in addition to the BBs, this would include Nick Grillo, Fred Vail, and Steve Love) bummed that Capitol deleted their albums when their Capitol contract ended and they went to Warner/Reprise?

I know that a lot of my questions may be beyond the scope of what a teenaged Debbie K may have been interested in, but I'd love to know more about the vibe in the office at that time.

A noted board historian here ;-) looked up the Sunflower mixing sessions (or possibly just knew it) and tipped me off, and they were during the summer of 70 Ivar period instead of late 69.  It does blur together after these many decades.  

Back to Stephen.  I so wish he'd talk about those times here, but I guess he's uncomfortable on this board.  I doubt they were as controversial as later events.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:19:19 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »

As always, big thanks to Debbie and Ed for being so generous with their memories--as the commercial says, they're priceless. And, as this was a frenzied time for just about everyone in the band, it's especially interesting to have it surface here, since it does tangentially give us more detailed background about Steve Love.

While this question does venture a bit further off-topic, I wonder if Debbie and/or Ed have any recollections about Steve's involvement/position during the Grillo/Reiley "war" that must have started in the last couple months of '70 (IIRC)?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:31 PM »

Trying to recall something I once read, regarding why Grillo's office was called The Vault and had such a door... I'm recalling that the building was a store for furs, or something like that, and Grillo's room really was a vault.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »

Smiley Smiley Here is a little background anecdote that describes what Stephen had to deal with in relation to his brother Mike's "sanity."  This has to do with the time Mike ended up in a strait jacket.  Mike was having an emotional breakdow, having gone on an extreme fast, flown back from India, had not been sleeping and was meditating around the clock... or was he really napping and scheming?  Anyway, he was going on and on endlessly spouting meaningless jibberish when Stephen, seeing the concern and fright on his parents' faces, finally took action and yelled, "Enough!"  Steve then physically subdued Mike and dragged him across the kitchen floor to the car outside where his (horrified and alarmed) mom and dad drove him to a mental hospital where he was tranquilized, but not before putting up a fight, ergo the need for the strait jacket.  On the drive up to Hollywood from Manhattan Beach, in the back seat of the car, Mike suddenly turned and bit Stephen hard on the upper right arm, leaving a circular scar that lasted for years.  In what was a very tense situation, Stephen quipped, "Mike, I thought you were a vegetarian!?"  Later on his dad Milton told him, "That was the funniest quip ever in the history of our family!" His wittiness earned Stephen a lasting distinction in Love family lore! LOL LOL
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:54:57 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »

Since Stephen obviously is posting here, through his good buddy Rocky -- Stephen, tell us more about your time working at the Ivar offices.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »

Smiley Smiley Here is a little background footnote:  What Stephen had to deal with in relation to his brother Mike's "sanity!"  The time Mike ended up in a Strait Jacket.  He was having an emotional breakdow, having gone on an extreme fast, flown back from India, had not been sleeping and was meditating around the clock... or napping and scheming?  He was endlessly, going on and on, spouting meaningless jibberish when Stephen had to eventually subdue Mike and drag him to the car where his (horrified and alarmed) mom and dad drove him to a mental hospital where he was tranquilized, but not before putting up a fight, ergo the need for the Strait Jacket.  In the back seat of the the car, Mike suddenly turned and bit Stephen hard on the upper arm, leaving a circular scar that lasted for years.  In what was a very tense situation, Stephen quipped, "Mike I thought you were a vegetarian?"  Later on his dad told him "That was the funniest quip ever in the history of our family!"  His witness earned Stephen a lasting distinction in the Love family lore! LOL LOL

The image of Mike Love gnawing on his brother Stephen's arm gives a whole new meaning to the Def Leppard song, "Love Bites"  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »

That had to be the quip of the century! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »

That had to be the quip of the century! LOL

LOL LOL LOL  What I'd really prefer is the vomit inducing vid of the hatless myKe luHv oiling his body from the TV show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Tacky".

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »

Smiley Smiley I was invited to join this thread... and then I WAS ATTACKED FROM EVERY ANGLE!  The childish posters of Smile are the more mundane simpletons of the world... so I naturally just laugh at them!   But the ones that are PROUD OF THEMSELVES for being "VICIOUS"... which is another word for IMMORAL... are the "REAL TRAGIC CHARACTERS"... appalling... dreadful... disastrous... horrendous... terrible...They are the ones who have stooped to an "ALL TIME NEW LOW" in the DENIGRATION of SOCIAL MEDIA...the MUDSLINGING... the NASTY SNIPING...   the PERSONAL CHARACTER ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS!   There is something intrinsically "COWARDLY" about "SMEARING" someone from afar, ie; at a remove and from behind a keyboard! Smiley Smiley  And they will be the first ones to post... after this!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:04:09 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:16 AM »

Since Stephen obviously is posting here, through his good buddy Rocky -- Stephen, tell us more about your time working at the Ivar offices.

No, he's not. The Rockster says he's not, and as The Rockster is an author, he must be telling the truth, because The Rockster would never stop to "poetic license".  Roll Eyes

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »

No, he's not. The Rockster says he's not, and as The Rockster is an author, he must be telling the truth, because The Rockster would never stop to "poetic license".  Roll Eyes
Smiley Smiley "doe doe"... you mean "stoop" to... "doo doo" ... YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL... and YOU CALL YOURSELF A WRITER?  You're POETRY IN MIKE'S TOILET... YOU BOTH STINK!!! LOL Smokin Beer
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:47:29 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »

Smiley Smiley I was invited to join this thread... and then I WAS ATTACKED FROM EVERY ANGLE!  The childish posters of Smile are the more mundane simpletons of the world... so I naturally just laugh at them!   But the ones that are PROUD OF THEMSELVES for being "VICIOUS"... which is another word for IMMORAL... are the "REAL TRAGIC CHARACTERS"... appalling... dreadful... disastrous... horrendous... terrible...They are the ones who have stooped to an "ALL TIME NEW LOW" in the DENIGRATION of SOCIAL MEDIA...the MUDSLINGING... the NASTY SNIPING...   the PERSONAL CHARACTER ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS!   There is something intrinsically "COWARDLY" about "SMEARING" someone from afar, ie; at a remove and from behind a keyboard! Smiley Smiley  And they will be the first ones to post... after this!

Sounds like what you're doing to Stan Love.

No, he's not. The Rockster says he's not, and as The Rockster is an author, he must be telling the truth, because The Rockster would never stop to "poetic license".  Roll Eyes
Smiley Smiley "doe doe"... you mean "stoop" to... "doo doo" ... YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL... and YOU CALL YOURSELF A WRITER? POETRY IN MIKE'S TOILET... YOU BOTH STINK!!! LOL Smokin Beer

How is it to be resisted? pot..kettle - every time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:57:22 AM by Emily » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »

Smiley Smiley I bet Stephen "YOU" and "DOO DOO" would be the first two "DOE DOE'S to post some lame "TOILET GARBAGE"... I WON!!! LOL LOL
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:01:42 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »

Smiley Smiley "doe doe"... you mean "stoop" to... "doo doo" ... YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL... and YOU CALL YOURSELF A WRITER?  You're POETRY IN MIKE'S TOILET... YOU BOTH STINK!!! LOL Smokin Beer

I rejoice that the art of the witty riposte endures. Oscar would be so proud.

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2016, 11:03:36 AM »

Smiley Smiley Is that what your head is doing down there in the TOILET... REJOICING?  Or are you looking for what's comming out the other END?  or maybe your looking for emily? LOL LOL
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:05:34 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »

Smiley Smiley I bet Stephen "YOU" and "DOO DOO" would be the first two "DOE DOE'S to post some lame GARBAGE... I WON!!! LOL LOL

You know, I bet The Rockster actually SHOUTS AT THE SCREEN AS HE TYPES THAT. It's all rather sad, isn't it ?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »

Smiley Smiley I bet Stephen "YOU" and "DOO DOO" would be the first two "DOE DOE'S to post some lame GARBAGE... I WON!!! LOL LOL

You know, I bet The Rockster actually SHOUTS AT THE SCREEN AS HE TYPES THAT. It's all rather sad, isn't it ?
Old Man :-)
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »

Smiley Smiley LOUD LAUGHING... is more like it! LOL LOL  Is that all you two got? LOL LOL I gotta find a tougher crowd... than two lonely old spinsters!!!  You wish I was throwing a fit!  You two are the ones CRYING! Ahhh! Ahhh!  "PUBLISHED... that's what!  I already have the MOVIE PRODUCER!  And I'm having FUN!  What do "you" and "doo doo" have... besides two pathetic lonely lives!  READING ME CONSTANTLY! LOL LOL  Get a job... GET A LIFE... your both BORING!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:26:35 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »

Smiley Smiley LOUD LAUGHING... is more like it! LOL LOL  Is that all you two got? LOL LOL
You missed the banter, huh? Cause I can't imagine you think swinging by here and throwing a fit is going to help get your book published.
Seriously, Rocky, what are you getting out of this?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 31, 2016, 03:42:27 AM »

Rocky, do you know or could you ask Steve what was the "Jardine-Love case" Steve was deposed for in August 2006?  Thanks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »

Rocky, do you know or could you ask Steve what was the "Jardine-Love case" Steve was deposed for in August 2006?  Thanks.
Smiley Smiley Mike Love suing Al for using the name "Beach Boy" and "Friends"... Al was touring with Brian's daughters Carnie and Wendy and China Phillips (John and Michelle Phillips...Mamas and Papas)... from the ONE hit Wonder group "Wilson and Phillips"... for you see Mike is the only person on the PLANET entitled to use the name "BEACH BOY-S in any fashion shape or form... EVEN Brian can't use it... Brian gladly gave it to Mike JUST TO GET AWAY FROM HIM... as far as he could GET!  That's when Brian PUT TOGETHER his own GROUP of GENIUS MUSICIANS... who can actually PLAY an INSTRUMENT!  That's when Brian finally completed the album "SMILE" which he performed in London... and where Sir Paul McCartney and Sir George Martin attended!  The newspapers said "MONA LISA SMILES"!!! LOL LOL
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:40:30 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »

Rocky, do you know or could you ask Steve what was the "Jardine-Love case" Steve was deposed for in August 2006?  Thanks.
Smiley Smiley Mike Love suing Al for using the name "Beach Boy" and Friends... Al was touring with Brian's daughters Carnie and Wendy and China Phillips (John and Michelle Phillips...Mamas and Papas)... from the ONE hit Wonder group "Wilson and Phillips"... for you see Mike is the only person on the PLANET entitled to use the name "BEACH BOY-S in any fashion shape or form... EVEN Brian can't use it... Brian gladly gave it to Mike JUST TO GET AWAY FROM HIM... as far as he could GET!  That's when Brian PUT TOGETHER his own GROUP of GENIUS MUSICIANS... who can actually PLAY an INSTRUMENT! LOL LOL

Rocky, have you attended any of Brian's solo shows? I totally agree, Brian's band are a group of genius musicians. Absolutely incredible stuff.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »

Smiley Smiley No... I have not attended :ANY" of Brian's or the Beach Boys shows since my day's of working for BW... they are not my only interest in life.  My book "WIPEOUT" is about Stephen... and Mike 's BETRAYAL of his cousin Brian and his brother Stephen!  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:51:19 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »

What hobbies you got these days Rocky?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2016, 10:58:24 AM »

What hobbies you got these days Rocky?
Smiley Smiley What's your favorite color... you got? LOL Smokin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx