gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680782 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:59:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Recording Pet Sounds This Weekend At Capitol  (Read 20617 times)
MarkJason
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »

From photos and text posted by Brian and co. this weekend, it appears that Brian and band are recording Pet Sounds fresh at Capitol in LA.  Apparently, it's for Spotify, probably an exclusive, but who knows.  Any further info on this project would be appreciated in this thread.

Thanks,
Mark
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »

"Band" as in the other living Beach Boys or Brian's touring band?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:58:23 PM »

According to the pictures: Brian, his band and Al Jardine. No other Beach Boys.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »

Possibly a promo for a documentary ala "Do It Again" for C50?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »

Maybe they could head to the San Diego Zoo and recreate the cover art while they're at it.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »

Or maybe a new cd, Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds - BWPS.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »

I hope they are not doing this project in the studio.  I've got cold feet on that straight away.
I don't think a re-recording is a great idea unless it was done live, oh wait......
unless it's a reimagined version, which I don't think it would be.
why? already it will be judged against the masterpiece.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »

I would presume it's just live in-studio. Essentially the live show sans an audience.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 01:39:03 AM »

My impression is that they are just rehearsing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »

Maybe they could head to the San Diego Zoo and recreate the cover art while they're at it.

And make poor Al contend with another damn goat? How demeaning! Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 05:07:56 AM »

And make poor Al contend with another damn goat? How demeaning! Smiley

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a goat ate Bruce's radio at that session (and he wasn't even in it). Maybe I dreamt it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »

My impression is that they are just rehearsing.

Al posted on Facebook that they were specifically "recording" the album for Spotify at Capitol Records studio. I would guess they're doing an in-house "live session" exclusively to air on Spotify; many bands do this for Spotify and for other radio services.

The "tour rehearsal" photos Brian posted are from the following day.

The "recording" setup at Capitol looks much more like they're *recording*, albeit in a "live in studio" setup. Typically they wouldn't be using big condenser mics and other "studio" microphone for tour rehearsals:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:18:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »

Touring on a classic album is a great treat for fans, especially for the inclusion of deep cuts that don't often get live airings.

Over the years, I've had the opportunity to see Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, Queensryche do Operation: Mindcrime, Judas Priest do British Steel, and The Who do Quadrophenia.  I'm looking forward to experiencing Pet Sounds in person later this summer. 

To experience these albums live is great, but re-recording them just seems kind of pointless IMO. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »

But again, I don't think they're "re-recording" it for an album release. They're just doing it "live" in the studio for Spotify. Instead of just recording a live gig out on tour and giving that to Spotify to air, they're knocking out a "live" recording in-studio. It's literally the same as the live show, just without an audience (although there could well have been a small audience in the studio), and recorded with nicer mics in a more controlled setting.

KDS
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »

But again, I don't think they're "re-recording" it for an album release. They're just doing it "live" in the studio for Spotify. Instead of just recording a live gig out on tour and giving that to Spotify to air, they're knocking out a "live" recording in-studio. It's literally the same as the live show, just without an audience (although there could well have been a small audience in the studio), and recorded with nicer mics in a more controlled setting.

Gotcha.

I'm also hoping that this Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour yields a full concert DVD. 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »

Hey, Phil Collins did it with his albums. I can see it now, some creative Photoshopper recreates Beach Boys album covers with the guys the way they look now, or would look now, in the case of Dennis and Carl.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:28 AM »

It's obviously promotional!

Record live in the studio, and publish on spotify so that the listener hears the music, understands this is the sound that will be delivered on tour, and buys tickets  Grin
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »

it would be nice to hear a complete symphony orchestra version with Brian singing it..
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »

Lei'd in Los Angeles?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »

I think it's a different kettle of fish if the are recording live in the studio, my initial thought was they wanted to record
and try and better what has been done.  That sounds more fun now if that is what is happening.
My wonder is now, considering Brian sang most of the leads, how is gonna tackle singing some of those leads in a recorded
environment? you can get away with murder 'live' but a recording is under the microscope.
songs like YSBIM, IJWMFTT aren't quite the easiest.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

It's obviously promotional!

Record live in the studio, and publish on spotify so that the listener hears the music, understands this is the sound that will be delivered on tour, and buys tickets  Grin

Some of the pictures have a green and yellow PS backdrop, probably for interviews.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:10 AM »

it would be nice to hear a complete symphony orchestra version with Brian singing it..

Not on an album but you can in Boston.

http://www.boston.com/culture/music/2016/01/25/brian-wilson-will-play-pet-sounds-with-the-boston-pops-this-summer
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »

Not on an album but you can in Boston.

http://www.boston.com/culture/music/2016/01/25/brian-wilson-will-play-pet-sounds-with-the-boston-pops-this-summer
Nice maybe we'll get a cd release of it..or a Blu Ray/DVD release..
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 10:05:15 AM »

Lei'd in Los Angeles?
Grin LA'd.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »

I think it's a different kettle of fish if the are recording live in the studio, my initial thought was they wanted to record
and try and better what has been done.  That sounds more fun now if that is what is happening.
My wonder is now, considering Brian sang most of the leads, how is gonna tackle singing some of those leads in a recorded
environment? you can get away with murder 'live' but a recording is under the microscope.
songs like YSBIM, IJWMFTT aren't quite the easiest.

If it's a recording they can easily 'sweeten' it in the studio.  Hence a reason for doing it in the first place.  I also suspect Brian won't be singing the lead on YSBIM, or some of the other songs.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx