gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:22:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backing Vox 'Let's go away...'  (Read 40077 times)
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »

Try as I might I can't hear flute at all.  I'm not insisting it isn't a flute but I hear a voice (or something that closely resembles one).  Regardless of what it is its interesting that it can sound so different to different people.  I think its more a brain than ears thing.

It really really just sounds like plain old flute with some reverberation to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »

yes mr asher used to have songwriting LGAFA credit - you must check older pressings and printed music to confirm

he didn't get songwriting LGAFA credit because he contributed to writing the music, otherwise his name would still appear credited today

Which pressings ? I've yet to hear of one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »

BTW the Garageband track 'Lets go' is what I programmed just now - its not isolated from the Pet `Sounds track.

It really really just sounds like plain old flute with some reverberation to me.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »

Well, I have to hand it to you Hideo, this sheet music book:

shows this:

But I'm looking at a Capitol first pressing US mono copy right now, and it's credited to "Brian Wilson," and a UK first pressing, and it's credited to "Wilson."  I don't have a first pressing Japanese copy to compare.  Maybe bgas will show me up and post his...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:06:03 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »

This thread has over 2300 reads, in just a couple of days.  Mike, have you thought about writing a book about the Doo Doos?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

Well, I have to hand it to you Hideo, this sheet music book:

shows this:

But I'm looking at a Capitol first pressing US mono copy right now, and it's credited to "Brian Wilson," and a UK first pressing, and it's credited to "Wilson."  I don't have a first pressing Japanese copy to compare.  Maybe bgas will show me up and post his...

Nah, I searched every pressing I have and I can't find one record from anywhere in the world that has anything except a "Wilson" credit. ( I checked my Japanese LP & EP; and numerous other countries)
But as you show, it seems that every songbook has it credited to Wilson and Asher.It's also in "The Beach Boys Complete" which preceded "very complete"
 Here it is in the UK Pet Sounds Songbook: 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »

Hey man wouldn't a series of podcasts or webisodes be more millenial Smiley

This thread has over 2300 reads, in just a couple of days.  Mike, have you thought about writing a book about the Doo Doos?
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »

I've got it:  Tony wrote the 'doo doos' Smiley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »

this thread is a testament to Brian's genius, that we can still discuss and possibly hear something new in a piece we've heard so many times.

I never heard anything that struck me as a vocal on LGAFA... until now.
still not sure if we're all talking about the same part(s), but I hear the do-doo's now and it doesn't strike me as flute. i believe it's a vocal-like effect created by strings, but I can't be sure. there is some tonal similarity to Brian or Carl, or even Marilyn as someone already stated.

speaking of tonal similarity, I've always thought the theremin line in IJWMFTT sounds uncannily like Brian.

mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »

here you go - I made this to show which part I'm on about - programmed in garageband

https://soundcloud.com/spooky-music

'lets go'

this thread is a testament to Brian's genius, that we can still discuss and possibly hear something new in a piece we've heard so many times.

I never heard anything that struck me as a vocal on LGAFA... until now.
still not sure if we're all talking about the same part(s), but I hear the do-doo's now and it doesn't strike me as flute. i believe it's a vocal-like effect created by strings, but I can't be sure. there is some tonal similarity to Brian or Carl, or even Marilyn as someone already stated.

speaking of tonal similarity, I've always thought the theremin line in IJWMFTT sounds uncannily like Brian.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

i don't think your soundcloud clip does justice to the bit in question, but I'm definitely hearing the do-doo's in the fade of the song. it's one of the only things in LGAFA that resembles a melody really. it's beautiful and I never really heard the vocal quality until you pointed it out, but I think it's just the strings fooling our ears. there's another ghostly "dooo" at around :57 (an Eb note) that sounds more like vibes to me
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:55:52 PM by bossaroo » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

Yeah it could be all instruments but its uncanny how much it sounds like Carl to me.

And yeah my soundcloud clip is about 10 mins work just to show which part I'm talking about.  Pretty rough.

Yeah the Eb I think is purely instrumental although could still be BVs at the end.

i don't think your soundcloud clip does justice to the bit in question, but I'm definitely hearing the do-doo's in the fade of the song. it's one of the only things in LGAFA that resembles a melody really. it's beautiful and I never eally heard the vocal quality until you posted, but I think it's just the strings fooling our ears. there's another ghostly "dooo" at around :57 (an Eb note) that sounds more like vibes to me
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »

and to clarify, the hard "doo" sound we hear in the fade is a B note.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »

we should keep in mind Brian was very into combining instruments at this time to create a "new" instrument or sound, a la Phil Spector.

we may be hearing strings and flute in unison and/or something else
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2016, 02:15:54 PM »

ha - dog ears Smiley

so why can't some of the others hear it..?  I can hear the dog whistle at the end of Pepper but I don't think its a true ultra-sonic sound

and to clarify, the hard "doo" sound we hear in the fade is a B note.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

yeh that's what I've been saying all along - still sounds like Carl to me though Smiley

we should keep in mind Brian was very into combining instruments at this time to create a "new" instrument or sound, a la Phil Spector.

we may be hearing strings and flute in unison and/or something else
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »

All I hear is a voice saying "KILL, KILL KILL!!!!!!!" now I have to play the song to see if I hear anything... LOL
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »

I was thinking about it at work and wondered if it might be vibes in there too doubling..?

Yeah I'm a big proponent of Occam's razor.  In a case like this though a live OD at the session isn't a crazy assertion (I'm not trying to say this definitely happened btw its just one thing I considered).

No, isn't vibes nor could it be.  It is not a vocal.  Carl was in Japan.  Flute players were at the session.  If what you're hearing is not flute, arguendo, where does the flute play?  I cannot believe that this is being debated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »

Can't tell someone something they don't want to hear.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »

Josh did you listen to the clip I put on soundcloud..?

have you read bossaroo's comments..?

I was thinking about it at work and wondered if it might be vibes in there too doubling..?

Yeah I'm a big proponent of Occam's razor.  In a case like this though a live OD at the session isn't a crazy assertion (I'm not trying to say this definitely happened btw its just one thing I considered).

No, isn't vibes nor could it be.  It is not a vocal.  Carl was in Japan.  Flute players were at the session.  If what you're hearing is not flute, arguendo, where does the flute play?  I cannot believe that this is being debated.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2016, 04:45:29 PM »

vibes:  'I used a lot of musicians on the track; twelve violins, piano, four saxes, oboe, vibes, a guitar with a coke bottle on the strings for a semi-steel guitar effect.'

no mention of flute above either (he could just have forgotten though)

Not Carl..?  Carl done later..?  Maybe not a voice at all..?

I can believe its being discussed because its interesting and some of us are hearing it very differently

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »

this thread is classic  LOL  can't believe this is being debated either.  Maybe the background vox will be more prominent on the 50th set  LOL
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »

yeh 'hear' is the key word Smiley  it doesn't sound ANYTHING like a flute to me so that makes it interesting

Can't tell someone something they don't want to hear.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2016, 04:49:40 PM »

Jules Jacob – flute
Julius Wechter – vibraphone, tympani
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »

I think it could be vibes and something else - maybe flute but I can't hear it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraphone