gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:22:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backing Vox 'Let's go away...'  (Read 39897 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »

According to wikipedia, the track for Let's Go Away For Awhile was recorded on 1/18/1966, and the string overdubs were recorded the next day. And according to the internet, the (touring) Beach Boys were in Japan from 1/7 to 1/23. So, assuming no further recordings were done for the song, it's impossible that any of them are singing or playing on the track.

The track sheet for LGAFA is labeled thus:
1 - track
2 - drums
3 - horns
4 - strings

The flute and oboe were recorded at the same time as the strings, so they must be on Track 4 as well. There is no indication that a dubdown was made to a second-generation tape, so whatever is making that sound HAS to be on Track 4, with the violins, violas, cellos, flute and oboe.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »

Very interesting.  You mean it was recorded on a 4 track and all 4 tracks were filled up at the session..?

1 - track
2 - drums
3 - horns
4 - strings

The flute and oboe were recorded at the same time as the strings, so they must be on Track 4 as well. There is no indication that a dubdown was made to a second-generation tape, so whatever is making that sound HAS to be on Track 4, with the violins, violas, cellos, flute and oboe.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »

For a long time I thought there was a voice harmonizing at exactly 0:56. Later on I figured it was a woodwind instrument.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »

Oh yeah I'd never noticed that before - sounds more like vibes to me though.  I'd say its the same thing I'm hearing at the end.

For a long time I thought there was a voice harmonizing at exactly 0:56. Later on I figured it was a woodwind instrument.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

It's very interesting I believe to note the date vocals for LGAFA were scheduled to be recorded, Capitol scuttled the mission so to speak and had Brian do the PS album mixdown instead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »

Very interesting.  You mean it was recorded on a 4 track and all 4 tracks were filled up at the session..?

1 - track
2 - drums
3 - horns
4 - strings

Tracks 1-3 were utilized on the basic tracking session of January 18. You can hear how that corresponds to the basic track stereo mix on the box set - Track 2 (drums, then later temple blocks, and eventually tympani) is panned to the left, Track 3 (the horns) is panned to the right, and Track 1 (labeled "track", and obviously meaning everything else: vibes, guitars, piano, basses) is positioned in the center. The fourth track was utilized the following day (January 19) for the string overdub (and obviously the woodwinds, meaning oboe and flute).
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

It sounds like pet owls to me. "Could we bring an owl in here?"

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »

It's very interesting I believe to note the date vocals for LGAFA were scheduled to be recorded, Capitol scuttled the mission so to speak and had Brian do the PS album mixdown instead

Shame Brian said in an interview that when he listened to the track, he decided it was complete as it was and didn't bother asking Tony to write lyrics. BTW, by "mixdown" I think you mean "mastering". April 16th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

It sounds like pet owls to me. "Could we bring an owl in here?"

Would those be the owls that were jumping in Alan's bed ?  Grin

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »

Brian was trying to put a good face on the missing LGAFA vocal outcome saying that the song was better off without words--and while true enough it may well not've been Tony Ashers's original plan at all.  Brian saved his most difficult piece for very last and when the day came to record vocals Capitol pulled the studio time plug, not wanting to risk yet another possible string of recording sessions on a album they already knew they'd serious misgivings about
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »

Oh yeah I'd never noticed that before - sounds more like vibes to me though.  I'd say its the same thing I'm hearing at the end.

You're probably right. I have difficulty differentiating between certain instruments.

Us and Them by Pink Floyd reminds me a lot of Let's Go Away for a While. Anyone else feel this way?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »

Brian was trying to put a good face on the missing LGAFA vocal outcome saying that the song was better off without words--and while true enough it may well not've been Tony Ashers's original plan at all.  Brian saved his most difficult piece for very last and when the day came to record vocals Capitol pulled the studio time plug, not wanting to risk yet another possible string of recording sessions on a album they already knew they'd serious misgivings about

And your source for this is... ? Mine is some guy called Tony Asher.

mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 03:31:37 PM »

Andrew maybe you could ask Tony about the BV thing..?

Brian was trying to put a good face on the missing LGAFA vocal outcome saying that the song was better off without words--and while true enough it may well not've been Tony Ashers's original plan at all.  Brian saved his most difficult piece for very last and when the day came to record vocals Capitol pulled the studio time plug, not wanting to risk yet another possible string of recording sessions on a album they already knew they'd serious misgivings about

And your source for this is... ? Mine is some guy called Tony Asher.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 05:28:23 PM »

You guys, it really is flute.  I mean seriously.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »

this thread is likely going to go on for about 20 pages
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »

Why ? One, he wasn't there for the vocal sessions... two, he told me Brian decided after he'd mixed the track that it didn't need vocals (hence, no lyrics)... and three, there are no vocals on the track anyway. Craig says so (and if he told me something was recorded on February 38th, 4603 BC, I'd believe him), the session dates preclude it and there's not verifiable source for what one poster claims about Capitol forcing Brian to master the album.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »

this thread is likely going to go on for about 20 pages

... because you can't tell someone something they don't want to hear.

mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 01:03:45 AM »

The 'doo doo' sounds..?  I'm really really trying but I can't hear it as a flute.

You guys, it really is flute.  I mean seriously.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »

The thread won't go on and on as there's no way of resolving it.  Although the records show no vocal sessions it still sounds like BVs to me.

If its definitely not BVs I'd love to know what combination of instruments it is to get that sound - its one of my favourite moments on any BBs track.

Why ? One, he wasn't there for the vocal sessions... two, he told me Brian decided after he'd mixed the track that it didn't need vocals (hence, no lyrics)... and three, there are no vocals on the track anyway. Craig says so (and if he told me something was recorded on February 38th, 4603 BC, I'd believe him), the session dates preclude it and there's not verifiable source for what one poster claims about Capitol forcing Brian to master the album.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 02:00:06 AM »

The sound is there again (I think) at 1:22 - it makes a brief phrase.  Doesn't sound like a flute to me or even a combination of things.

Could it be a musician making a vocal sound into a woodwind rather than just blowing it..?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 02:11:41 AM »

I hear the sound you're hearing at both those spots, Mike, but it's not a vocal.  It is some kind of an orchestral instrument or instruments with a lot of reverb on it/them.  It's the reverb - which is the dominating sound - and the instrument(s) sitting in the background that's giving the illusion to you that it's a voice.

If I had my headphones handy I might take a stab at identifying the instrument(s) - it sounds to me like it's actually the string section but I can't tell for sure without the cans on - but it's definitely not a voice.  It's just how far back the melody sits in the mix that makes it sound that way.  Also, at 1:22, the sound overloads the reverb and/or room sound (someone can tell me which) and resonates in such a way that for a second it sounds like a voice, but if you follow the melody line up you'll hear it resolves into the string section.  You can hear it more clearly on the stereo remaster.  It's just part of the orchestra buried deep in the mix so you're mostly hearing the melody line, and the reverb/room sound, which in the mix sounds a bit like a vocal (which covers the same range and roughly the same reverb sound).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:18:53 AM by adamghost » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 02:22:44 AM »

Cheers for the input. Try as I might I can't hear it as anything but a voice and I AM trying Smiley

It sounds so much like a voice to me that I can hear the throat contractions making the phrases.

Its not confirmation bias I've just never heard it as anything else since I first heard the album in 1988.

Are you able to listen to it on cans anytime soon..?

I'm not insisting I'm right btw just that I can't hear it as instruments.

I hear the sound you're hearing at both those spots, Mike, but it's not a vocal.  It is some kind of an orchestral instrument or instruments with a lot of reverb on it/them.  It's the reverb - which is the dominating sound - and the instrument(s) sitting in the background that's giving the illusion to you that it's a voice.

If I had my headphones handy I might take a stab at identifying the instrument(s) - it sounds to me like it's actually the string section (at least the end part) but I can't tell without the cans on - but it's definitely not a voice.  It's just how far back the melody sits in the mix that makes it sound that way.  You can hear it more clearly on the stereo remaster.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 03:10:35 AM »

Could it be plucked strings maybe combined with woodwind..?  All playing unison..?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 03:35:53 AM »

I've always heard it as Murry singing lead on "GV", but no-one will believe me...

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 03:38:06 AM »

Could it be plucked strings maybe combined with woodwind..?  All playing unison..?

I think this may be the case. And as mentioned, the echo on the track is creating the effect we're hearing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx