gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:06:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Study-Video --- FRIENDS - the album  (Read 3954 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »

COMMENT:

Friends – the album

A new Study-Video is now available featuring the Friends album re-mastered using advanced technology and techniques, which I call Transformative Re-Mastering.
I think this you will find this procedure gives a new sound to the Friends album, not necessarily what you may hear from the recent high-resolution releases, but a re-mastering that stresses the musical elements over the technological spin. However I must say that when you strive to bring out the music, the technology follows.
     If you are not a fan of the Friends album, give a listen to this Study-Video. It may change your mind. And, if you like the Friends album, I think you will hear a freshness and come away with a renewed fondness for this Beach Boy creation.   
     Available now by pushing the “Friends – the album” button. The demo has been removed. I would love to hear your feedback -- what you think.

You may also find the Study-Video, via the “Beach Boy Surfing Hits” button, a good listen and well worth your time. It features 25 early songs re-mastered in the Transformative technique, which is designed to bring out subtleties in the harmonies that are sometimes lost. In addition, the vocals are brought forward in an expanded sound field.  As always,

Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »

Fantastic, Friends is one of my favorite BBs albums, so it's exciting to get an in-depth look into it.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:44:35 PM »

I can't wait to listen! Stephen, as an audio engineer myself, I must say you're on of the all-time greats! These studies always inspire me, and give me fresh ideas.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:47:01 PM »

Seriously cannot wait to check this out tonight.

Thanks so very much for your efforts, Stephen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »

Thanks for this! I love that album and am fascinated by the "homerecording" feel of it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »

If only I had (or perhaps made) more time to indulge your Study-Videos, Stephen. I'm so glad I did get round to checking out this one.

Last year I was converted to Love You, thanks to this board----this year (so far), it's Friends, thanks to you, sir.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »

If only I had (or perhaps made) more time to indulge your Study-Videos, Stephen. I'm so glad I did get round to checking out this one.

Last year I was converted to Love You, thanks to this board----this year (so far), it's Friends, thanks to you, sir.   
Please take the time and listen to Sunflower. It is just a splendid listen. No CD release quite sounds like Stephen's Study-Video.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »

Can't tell you how much I look forward to getting these, Stephen. Thank you so much for taking the time and care to guide us all to good listening. It is DEEPLY appreciated.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »

Can't wait to listen
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »

Please take the time and listen to Sunflower. It is just a splendid listen. No CD release quite sounds like Stephen's Study-Video.

To be honest, I did start on the Sunflower Study-Video. I was looking for information about the guitar solo in "Our Sweet Love", found it (of course!) and called it a day.

But I shall take your advice and carry on where I left off. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 10:56:47 AM »

What a hugely unique honor it is to hear something like this. A re-examining of an album so loved and cherished by someone who was involved in making the album possible. That's quite literally amazing as a fan! These things don't just happen, especially for a group so big and so revered, to have something this intimate from exactly the person I'd want to hear it from. It's like stumbling upon a digital treasure trove, only available to those who really seek it out, and once they do they are rewarded beyond their expectations.

I had to shout out loud "EXCUSE me??" when I got to the middle part of Transcendental Meditation, I've heard the song countless times, but never like this, and I LOVED it. Not to mention the sweet, booming intro to Diamond Head. I now want to listen to this mix as regularly as I do the mastered for iTunes version.
Friends has easily been the most pleasant sounding album I've encountered in my life, cannot think of another cycle of songs as relaxing and healing as this is, ESPECIALLY when grouped with the Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River bonus track from these sessions. Absolute heaven.

Stephen, thank you not only for taking your time to do this, but also for being a wonderfully gifted individual who had the perfect outlet for creativity in the shape of a band we all dearly love.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:05:29 AM by jackjachman » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »

What a hugely unique honor it is to hear something like this. A re-examining of an album so loved and cherished by someone who was involved in making the album possible. That's quite literally amazing as a fan! These things don't just happen, especially for a group so big and so revered, to have something this intimate from exactly the person I'd want to hear it from. It's like stumbling upon a digital treasure trove, only available to those who really seek it out, and once they do they are rewarded beyond their expectations.

I had to shout out loud "EXCUSE me??" when I got to the middle part of Transcendental Meditation, I've heard the song countless times, but never like this, and I LOVED it. Not to mention the sweet, booming intro to Diamond Head. I now want to listen to this mix as regularly as I do the mastered for iTunes version.
Friends has easily been the most pleasant sounding album I've encountered in my life, cannot think of another cycle of songs as relaxing and healing as this is, ESPECIALLY when grouped with the Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River bonus track from these sessions. Absolute heaven.

Stephen, thank you not only for taking your time to do this, but also for being a wonderfully gifted individual who had the perfect outlet for creativity in the shape of a band we all dearly love.

COMMENT to jackjachman:

I am honored by your comments. It is such statements about the Study-Videos that make all the work it takes to make them worthwhile!
Thank you sir !!   Beach Boys rule. 
  ~swd
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

COMMENT to jackjachman:

I am honored by your comments. It is such statements about the Study-Videos that make all the work it takes to make them worthwhile!
  ~swd

The substance of these Study Videos (and of course the presentation) makes your efforts very worthwhile.  If it weren't for that feeling of being there, and all the revelations along the way, I may have gotten bored of this a long time ago.  No chance of that happening!  Please continue to enlighten us with your first hand experiences in this unique era of music history, Mr. Desper!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

COMMENT to jackjachman:

~swd

Thanks Stephen! I just had a listen and really enjoyed the entire album in a new way. Just fantastic stuff!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »

thank you! really enjoyed this. thanks for taking the time to prepare and share this. i have enjoyed all your efforts.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx