gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:35:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backing Vox 'Let's go away...'  (Read 40130 times)
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:25:41 PM »

Who is it..?  So faint but I think it sounds like Carl..?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »

It's nobody. No vocals were ever recorded.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

Did you mean to say "Don't Run Away"?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »

or "Don't Talk"?  Grin
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

I believe it was Rocky! Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »

I believe it was Rocky! Wink

Who was singing in tribute to Lorren Daro's wife.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »

OP, do you mean "We'll Run Away"?

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:37:15 AM »

on the fadeout I'm 99% sure there are 'do do' backing vox - listen closely

could be instruments I guess but to me sounds like a voice

isn't it possible the track was worked on at a session for another tune, so not logged..?

It's nobody. No vocals were ever recorded.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:40:37 AM »

Where, exactly  ? From when to when ?

Eh, never mind - just listened in mono, stereo, on speakers, with cans, Spotify, CD.

Nothing. Nada. Rien. Zilch. Zippo.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:47:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 03:45:09 AM »

Where, exactly  ? From when to when ?

Eh, never mind - just listened in mono, stereo, on speakers, with cans, Spotify, CD.

Nothing. Nada. Rien. Zilch. Zippo.

I've always thought I heard something that sounded like a vocal there too -- the new melodic "doo doo do do" part that comes in at 1:54 and stays til the end. It's not on the mix without the string overdub on the box, but it is on both mono and stereo mixes, so that suggests that whatever it actually is, it's part of the string overdub.
I wouldn't swear there's a vocal there -- and I'm more than happy to believe there isn't given the utter absence of any documentary evidence for it -- but there's something on there that sounds vocal-ish, if you see what I mean. I'd even go so far as to say that something about it makes it sound specifically like *Marilyn's* voice -- even though I can't swear it's there at all.
But I wouldn't put it past Brian's abilities at all at that point to be able to create a string part that sounded like a voice...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:07 AM »

I hear the da doo da doo.
it's called a snare drum  Roll Eyes
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 04:11:08 AM »

No, I'm not talking about the snare.
Between 1:42 and 1:50 there's a bit of musical material -- horn melody, strummed guitar, snare drum and timpani. Some other stuff as well, but those are the major instruments.
From 1:54 onwards, that musical material repeats, but with the addition of the strings, and with an additional countermelody -- a countermelody that isn't on the mix without strings, as I said -- and the snare drum clearly *is* on that mix. *That countermelody* is what we're talking about. It sounds to some of us like there might be a vocal part in the mix there.
Perhaps rather than assuming other people are so stupid they don't know what a drum is, you might try paying attention to what's being said.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 04:16:55 AM »

I listened from before then. No vocals.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 04:25:44 AM »

i'll have another go and put my dog ears on

edit: I meant my comment in humour
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:26:35 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 04:28:52 AM »

I hear it.  And I always assumed it was a female singer.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 06:43:26 AM »

Flute.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »

I just listened to the stereo mix through good headphones - the flute would be a good guess, but I hear that doubling the oboe on another line. I believe the part in question is played by the two violas. Violas can sometimes sound "vocal-like".
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »

It's the same instrument/sound that appears between 1:22 and 1:24, right?

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed that the soundwave for the stereo mix of Let's Go Away For Awhile is inverted when compared to the mono mix (and to the backing track that's missing the string overdub.) I wonder if the other stereo mixes in the PS sessions box are also inverted...

EDIT #2: Wouldn't It Be Nice and You Still Believe In Me are inverted as well (meaning that in the soundwave the peaks become valleys and vice-versa). Interesting...

EDIT #3: And... the SACD stereo mix has the same polarity as the mono mix.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:54:05 AM by Cristian Kiper » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »

Yeah that's it - I've always heard it as vox from the very first time I heard it in mono 20 odd years ago: 'doo doos' - to me it sounds like Carl.

No, I'm not talking about the snare.
Between 1:42 and 1:50 there's a bit of musical material -- horn melody, strummed guitar, snare drum and timpani. Some other stuff as well, but those are the major instruments.
From 1:54 onwards, that musical material repeats, but with the addition of the strings, and with an additional countermelody -- a countermelody that isn't on the mix without strings, as I said -- and the snare drum clearly *is* on that mix. *That countermelody* is what we're talking about. It sounds to some of us like there might be a vocal part in the mix there.
Perhaps rather than assuming other people are so stupid they don't know what a drum is, you might try paying attention to what's being said.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »

But I can hear the 'd' on the 'doo doos'.

I've never heard it as anything but vox.

Flute.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »

Flute.

Best guess would then be a wind instrument, of which flute and oboe were the two present on the overdub. If the line which I previously described as flute doubling oboe is actually the sax section from the basic track, then that would mean that they mystery line COULD be the flute or oboe on the overdub. I think the "doo doo" effect could reasonably be achieved by the woodwind player "enunciating" that hard percussive consonant sound on the first note of each line, at Brian's direction. Whatever it is, it's bathed in echo, which can make it sound altogether different than what it would normally sound like.

EDIT: on comparing the basic track to the overdubbed track, I'm gonna say at least one of the woodwinds is definitely playing a separate line on top of the sax section (most noticeable between 1:28 and 1:32), and that sounds like an oboe to me, so if it is a woodwind playing the "doo doo" line in the background, then it is likely the flute, as Josh suggested - perhaps an alto flute, which would sound "mellower" than a normal concert-pitch flute. But I would think it could still sound the way it does if the player enunciated it with a hard "d".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:53:32 AM by c-man » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 11:56:51 AM »

Cheers - interesting thoughts.  I know odd things can happen in mixes but to me it sounds so much like a voice that I think its a voice Smiley

I can't think of an example of a woodwind that sounds like that.

I stand to be corrected but wouldn't a simpler explanation be that its a vox mixed low..?

Flute.

Best guess would then be a wind instrument, of which flute and oboe were the two present on the overdub. If the line which I previously described as flute doubling oboe is actually the sax section from the basic track, then that would mean that they mystery line COULD be the flute or oboe on the overdub. I think the "doo doo" effect could reasonably be achieved by the woodwind player "enunciating" that hard percussive consonant sound on the first note of each line, at Brian's direction. Whatever it is, it's bathed in echo, which can make it sound altogether different than what it would normally sound like.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

According to wikipedia, the track for Let's Go Away For Awhile was recorded on 1/18/1966, and the string overdubs were recorded the next day. And according to the internet, the (touring) Beach Boys were in Japan from 1/7 to 1/23. So, assuming no further recordings were done for the song, it's impossible that any of them are singing or playing on the track.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »

Thanks Cristian.  Could have been Brian.  Could have been Carl at a later date - or I could be wrong Smiley

The reason I'm convinced though is purely because to me it sounds like a human voice.

According to wikipedia, the track for Let's Go Away For Awhile was recorded on 1/18/1966, and the string overdubs were recorded the next day. And according to the internet, the (touring) Beach Boys were in Japan from 1/7 to 1/23. So, assuming no further recordings were done for the song, it's impossible that any of them are singing or playing on the track.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »

Guys, Brian was just humming something..
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx