gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:17:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Local / Regional Scenes  (Read 1643 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »

There might have been a thread about this once upon a time, but whatever. I'm just starting it to share a feature on one of the local institutions here, First Ave. Pitchfork ran this a few days ago, and I just saw it this morning. Nice read, though it almost makes it seem as if it weren't still the club of note in Minneapolis (which it is). This place did not die with the Replacements, Soul Asylum, or Husker Du.

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9832-everybody-is-a-star-how-the-rock-club-first-avenue-made-minneapolis-the-center-of-music-in-the-80s/

Now that I got that out of my system, what the hell, if anyone feels like talking about their local scenes, go for it. (If not, I did what I came to do.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »

I'm from Baltimore, and there is a pretty thriving local music scene here. 

We had a band about 12 or so years ago called Voodoo Blue that seemed to be on the verge of hitting it big.

A lot of the local rock bands here seem to be of the punkier variety, so it's not really my taste though. 

One of the biggest bands to come out of our area, and they still pack 'em in around here, is Kix.  Known nationally as a one hit wonder with Don't Close Your Eyes, they are one of the best live hard rock bands on the planet, and they really should've been bigger than they were. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »

My local scene is basically is basically funneled through Burger Records. The record label is sort of a big deal where I live, but I'm not sure how well they're recognized on a national level.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »

^ Is that a local label? Or just one that people know of in your area?

I feel like I see Sub Pop shirts here all of the time. It's great. We're also home to the sister label Hardly Art, which has bands like Tacocat, La Luz, and Protomartyr signed to them...

I like looking at bandcamp for local music. I think my friend's brother is in a band as well, so that's rad.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »

I've always had alot of fond reflections of the local scenes I came up in and decided to make an online time capsule for them last year. Aside from other people who were hanging out around West Chester, PA in the 2000's though, I don't gather there's much of overlapping listenership between these bands and The Beach Boys. WC2K leans heavily on punk/hardcore/emo, but the goal was to present as well-rounded of a resource as I could and the project is ongoing.

wc2k.weebly.com

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx