gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:58:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pledge to Not Read Rocky's Thread  (Read 32789 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »

paul j is onto something.....

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »

Rocky theorizing is new(ish) but, in looking at old threads, it looks like people have been theorizing about Beach Boys' and Beach Boys' ancillaries' behavior since the board began.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 03:10:42 PM »

rocky is a bb ? Roll Eyes

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »

I really don't think explaining Rocky's behaviour requires him to be mentally ill or brain damaged. He reads to me, frankly, like half the men in my family -- arrogant, illiterate, the epitome of toxic masculinity, and at that enviable level of intelligence where you're not bright enough to realise you're not bright. Couple that with a few minor brushes with stardom and good looks as a youth, and I think that pretty much covers everything that needs explaining about him. Testosterone and cluelessness can be a powerful combination.
Sadly, there are a *LOT* of "Rockys" in the world. It's just that most of them have no interest in the Beach Boys, and the few who do would tend to get banned from a board like this almost immediately, so he seems odd in this context...
The last few days have been so bizarre and ranty I thought something more was going on. Who knows? I hope not.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »

rocky is a bb ? Roll Eyes
Huh
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »

either andrew is right the dude made an ass of himself. you guys got too far in yer scrutinizing. jeez

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »

Personally, I try to refrain (not always successfully) from projecting my own interpretations of Beach Boys' behaviour; I've only ever met one of them, briefly, and then only in his celebrity persona, dealing with fans.  Far as I'm concerned what they do in their private lives might be entirely different to what we see in public and on stage. I still hope that Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce, Dave, Ricky and Blondie get together weekends to share a beer and laugh their asses off at what we get up to on this board.  I doubt it but I'm still an optimist, despite 40 years of livin' and lovin' this band.

Rocky's a different kettle of fish entirely. 'Course he's not a BB; don't think anyone's saying he is though! He's a psychologist's dream (or nightmare), laying it down bold as brass. He shields nothing about himself; he either wants to be disliked, or wants us to think he wants to be disliked. And as has been mentioned before, he doesn't seem to give a flying toss either way. That's not to say he should be a target for cruel, groundless jibes, but so far I don't think I've seen a groundless jibe.

Further, this is an online message board, a forum for discussion about topics about which people share a common interest.  Far as I know, beyond a few rules to ensure legality, decency, and prevent trolling, there's no list of subjects which are out of bounds. Maybe there should be but that's for another (new) thread… So it's to be expected that a variety of topics will be up for discussion, and the nature of a discussion means some folk will have differing views, will project and theorise here and there. Some people in Tonbridge Wells might get upset, but all's fair in Love and war – everyone can state their take and stake their claim and argue their side.

Ramble ramble…
Now, back to the Rocky thread – anyone have an update?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:30:55 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »

Could we not have a daily summary thread? Give one person the responsibility to report here to us?

Here's a summary:

DRUGS!!..... Tip Toe Happy Dance King Drinking Buddies  .....mi...key... Cry Grin Embarrassed 80,000000 views.....!!!!! Roll Eyes w00t! Ninja Head Spin  pUnCH  Shocked Smiley Cool

Then some weird Q'ran quote.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »

Could we not have a daily summary thread? Give one person the responsibility to report here to us?

Here's a summary:

DRUGS!!..... Tip Toe Happy Dance King Drinking Buddies  .....mi...key... Cry Grin Embarrassed 80,000000 views.....!!!!! Roll Eyes w00t! Ninja Head Spin  pUnCH  Shocked Smiley Cool

I wonder if Rocky is also an obsessive emoji/emoticon user when he texts. I can't help but admit his emoticon overuse is rather hilarious - I don't take him as seriously as many others here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:57:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »

Paul J B, I have to say, "this increasing trend here by people who don't know the people they are theorizing about" isn't killing this board, it is this board, more or less. There are exceptions and always have been (whether newer ones like Lawlor or older ones like Boyd, et al), but for the most part, none of us know these people. And the board--and its predecessors--have always been mostly people going on and on about people they don't know and situations about which they can speculate or study ... but don't know.

So yes, Rocky is clearly (as correctly Andrew says) an arse. And earlier, a complete idiot. Those things are obviously true. Unless he's a fabulous troll clowning everyone, that's obvious. But if someone wants to debate whether it's from football injuries, from drug use, or whatever, well, who cares? I personally would't want to get too specific about it because I don't care why he's an idiot. He's just an idiot. Conversely, if someone wants to bring up football-related brain damage, I don't have a problem personally bringing up general information about that subject (while making a point not to say it's directly relevant here). Really, what's the difference? It's a message board, not a scholarly journal. There's room for a lot here, whether more rigorous review of specific claims or in-passing, off-hand comments.

Doesn't matter. Certainly nothing new, and not what's killing the board.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »

Here's a summary:

DRUGS!!..... Tip Toe Happy Dance King Drinking Buddies  .....mi...key... Cry Grin Embarrassed 80,000000 views.....!!!!! Roll Eyes w00t! Ninja Head Spin  pUnCH  Shocked Smiley Cool

I wonder if Rocky is an obsessive emoji/emoticon user when he texts. I can't help but admit his emoticon overuse is rather hilarious - I don't take him as seriously as many others here.

It's impossible to take him seriously. I am, however, glad to not know him in real life.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »

Dunning-Kruger effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
Andrews Doe and Hickey have mentioned this.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »

Dunning-Kruger effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
Andrews Doe and Hickey have mentioned this.

I truly question how seriously Rocky takes himself in his posts. I think when he puts the members of this board down, he's largely just goofing on people in a way that an incredibly ridiculous combative standup comedian goofs on people. A bit like Andrew Dice Clay meets Biff Tannen meets Wally George. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:53:08 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »

Meanwhile the majority of recent posts in that thread now seem to be from Rocky... He's talking to himself...
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »

This so reminds me about a guy and a boat, the boat is the Titanic, it's going to sink with lady named Rose.  Here's the point, she get's old, real old looking like some of these posts are getting.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2016, 10:00:04 PM »

Not questioning AGD, but you pretty much confirmed it was Pamplin and not a troll. Can we ask how you found out or even from whom?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »

A bit like Andrew Dice Clay meets Biff Tannen meets Wally George. Or something like that.
Andrew Dice Clay, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. He actually managed to sell out MSG believe it or not. Twice!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:06:49 PM by BachelorsDegreeInBullets » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »

Now he's speaking in a strange, Bob Dylan lyric code.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2016, 12:15:24 AM »

Here in Los Angeles, in dingy little apartments all over the San Fernando Valley (where I dwell),

Was your dingy apartment bldg. built before 1966?

If so I might have lived there. basking by the pool in the warm California sunshine.  Cool

I live in a house.  I hope desperately to avoid the dingy apartment building fate myself.  You'll notice I don't take my own brushes with fame particularly seriously.  In the end, all we are is dust in the wind, dude.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2016, 12:28:40 AM »

You know....theorizing about the Beach Boys music is one thing, but this increasing trend here by people who don't know the people they are theorizing about is really killing this board. Seriously, are so many of you that board with your personal lives that you feel the need to get to the bottom of a strangers behavior. That topic about a BS book that will NEVER EVER be printed and distributed, should not have been permitted to go on for 80 pages. And now people are going to agonize over whether or not they should feel sorry for the guy. His issues don't matter, what he is spewing is not factual, and if some of you can't see that, or didn't see that weeks ago then you should stay away from anyone that talks to you about swamp land. Good god head injuries from football...really?

This nonsense has gotten increasingly worse concerning Mike as well. So many of you wringing their hands over what Mike is bothered by and what he really means by a comment or two to an inane journalist. Mike is a founding member of the greatest vocal band ever. He has a chip on his shoulder, legitimate or not, and can't get over the fact that his band mates messed up with drugs. He will keep singing Beach Boys material until he dies. No need to fret anymore. OK?

And yes,, I should just check out of here for a while or ignore the threads but they keep clogging up the board and it only seems to be getting worse. Ever wonder why Stephen Desper does not delve into this trash? or why Ray Lawler seems to have vanished? I have a pretty good guess.

I think you bring up some good points.  Let me challenge them, though, a little bit.

First of all, let's say there's a total jerk that walks into your workplace and shocks everyone by their behavior.  Does everyone get together after work to discuss their shared experience with this person?  You bet.  Nothing unhealthy about it.  It's key to understand that (a) you're talking about a group of people that roughly speaking hang out in the same place and (b) someone bursts in on that environment acting totally crazy.  There's nothing unhealthy about this kind of reaction.  It's very key to who we are as humans.

Second, I disagree Rocky's thread is killing the board.  I think it saved the board.  It's easy to forget that Rocky came along at the same time that the Board nearly collapsed and a lot of people (including me) were about to leave because the environment and internecine squabbling were so toxic.  Along comes Rocky and everyone kind of came together in a great WTF?  And a lot of the board squabbles went by the wayside.  Yup, went on way too long, but who cares?  Having a thread that goes on and on isn't exactly bad for the health of a message board.

Third, you talk about "so many of you" bashing on Mike as if the two things are inextricably linked.  AGD defends Mike Love regularly.  I have mixed feelings about Mike Love but I got very drunk on a bottle of his champagne once and he's treated a few of my friends well recently so I'm mellow on the Mike Love topic.  And I could go on with more examples.  It seems like you're trying to link two separate things as being symptoms of the same people harping on the same issue, but really, Mike-bashing and Rocky-bashing are two entirely different phenomena involving different subsets of people motivated by different things.

Fourth, your guess about why certain people are leaving the board may or may not be right.  I do know for a fact that a few Beach Boys semi-insiders who do not usually post here have been following the Rocky thread and their reaction is incredulity and amusement.  It was relayed to me that it got a great deal of (mirthful) discussion at a gathering of same last night.  So don't make assumptions that folks don't have a sense of humor about it.  Maybe some people do see stuff like this and stay away; but others stay away because, y'know, they can't be seen posting on a message board because they have business relationships in the Beach Boys world that are jeopardized in so doing.  But they enjoy lurking.

Anyways, what I get out of it is that you didn't like the thread and some other threads on here.  I think that's perfectly valid and I for one hear you.  Trying to extend your own personal feeling about it to being those of everyone else -- might be reaching a bit.  Again, maybe so, maybe not.  But you're not into it, that's cool, and I hear you.

I guess I incline to the feeling that it's interesting for some of us to talk about with each other, and Rocky more or less demands the attention, so why the heck not.  If it's not fun for others - well - there's lots of threads on here I don't look at because I am not interested.  I don't feel like they have to go away on the basis that I'm not into them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:53:32 AM by adamghost » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2016, 02:29:23 AM »

paul j is onto something.....
I'm too stupid to go find what he said ,  can you summarize?

was it that we should all start posting screencaps of ourselves not reading him?

halblaineisgood
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2016, 02:34:15 AM »

timestamped photos . Verification signs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:19 AM »

Never mind that… what about your avatar?Huh?

I need to know more. Phenomenal.

“We live in divisive times.”
halblaineisgood
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2016, 02:51:05 AM »

Never mind that… what about your avatar?Huh?

I need to know more. Phenomenal.
I googled "guy with his head inside of a fishbowl" .It was the first one that came up.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2016, 05:50:04 AM »

So...shouldn't THIS thread now be moved to the sandbox?  As little as Rocklette has to do with the Beach Boys...except for beating them up...this thread has even less to do with the group...except for the potential ignoring of a guy who had little to do with the Beach Boys...except for beating them up... ... ...

If ya know what I mean... Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx