gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:59:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love at 75  (Read 8646 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »

Happy Birthday, Mike! Pirate
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 06:35:20 AM »

CONGRAT'S, Mike!!! Birthday interview?:

MIKE'd                                             {haiku'drome by john k}

->" Now; I AM a ham!

(:U.S)   ~OM~ ... o.k., O.K.!

'He'?  Male Ego, gee!

Lam* eh?  ******' KOKOMO!

Sumahama?   I ** WON!"<-

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 06:48:48 AM »

A shame to see on Mikes FB post that Brian declined to attend his birthday bash (and no sign of either Bruce or Alan in the pictures), but David, Marilyn, Stevie K, Dean, Justyn, Gerry and Dewey... and Stamos were all there - and I think I recognise Diane, Annie and Barbara too, amongst many others..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:21:04 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »

Would anyone in their right mind believe that somehow Brian would even think of going to myKe luHv's party?? Did they wear birthday hats? Bet they had face painting, too.  LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »

A shame to see on Mikes FB post that Brian declined to attend his birthday bash (and no sign of either Bruce or Alan in the pictures), but David, Marilyn, Stevie K, Dean, Justyn, Gerry and Dewey... and Stamos were all there - and I think I recognise Diane, Annie and Barbara too, amongst many others..

I'm never big on these "so and so didn't go to so and so's party." Why would we expect these guys with contentious relationships to go to each other's birthday parties? Mike couldn't be bothered to go to his *own* tour wrap-up party in 2012. Why would I expect him to go to Brian's birthday party? And Mike insulted Brian's wife in a recent interview and gives generally unpleasant interviews about Brian these days (fondly noting they were buds in 1959 doesn't count). Why would Brian want to get in the middle of that?

Mike can't be bothered to see L&M or listen to a new track by Brian and Al. Al and Mike can't even get on the same page to do one gig together. What makes us think they want to socialize?

I'm not trying to stoke the flames of discontent among these guys. There may not be a ton, I dunno. But it isn't surprising they don't all attend each other's parties. I certainly would love for them to all get along and network with each other both for the band's brand and for their own peace of mind. But I can conjure plenty of reasons why they wouldn't socialize just based on what we *do* know. God knows what else is at play that we *don't* know.

Since Mike and Bruce apparently have a Johnny Carson/Ed McMahon type of relationship, I'm not surprised if turns out Bruce wasn't even there.

For that matter, as Brian and Al are less than two weeks from a PS world tour, they may already be in rehearsals.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 08:53:52 AM »

Would anyone in their right mind believe that somehow Brian would even think of going to myKe luHv's party?? Did they wear birthday hats? Bet they had face painting, too.  LOL

Or a clown?  Shocked
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »

It's pretty egotistical for Mike to constantly want BW to come to his parties and award ceremonies after dragging him through the mud in the media.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »

I'm never big on these "so and so didn't go to so and so's party." Why would we expect these guys with contentious relationships to go to each other's birthday parties? Mike couldn't be bothered to go to his *own* tour wrap-up party in 2012. Why would I expect him to go to Brian's birthday party? And Mike insulted Brian's wife in a recent interview and gives generally unpleasant interviews about Brian these days (fondly noting they were buds in 1959 doesn't count). Why would Brian want to get in the middle of that?

Mike can't be bothered to see L&M or listen to a new track by Brian and Al. Al and Mike can't even get on the same page to do one gig together. What makes us think they want to socialize?

I'm not trying to stoke the flames of discontent among these guys. There may not be a ton, I dunno. But it isn't surprising they don't all attend each other's parties. I certainly would love for them to all get along and network with each other both for the band's brand and for their own peace of mind. But I can conjure plenty of reasons why they wouldn't socialize just based on what we *do* know. God knows what else is at play that we *don't* know.

Since Mike and Bruce apparently have a Johnny Carson/Ed McMahon type of relationship, I'm not surprised if turns out Bruce wasn't even there.

For that matter, as Brian and Al are less than two weeks from a PS world tour, they may already be in rehearsals.

Yep. I can't imagine why Brian and Melinda would attend a party celebrating a family member who just publicly belittled and insulted Melinda in the manner that he did in the recent interview... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe Brian and Melinda could have attended while wearing custom-printed t-shirts with quotes from recent Mike articles.

I do applaud the extended family of Wilsons and others who did attend, who are probably trying their damnedest for things to not get even worse, and to heal the wounds between the camps, which obviously the birthday boy seems to be completely incapable of even *trying* to do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:24:52 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »

Yep. I can't imagine why Brian and Melinda would attend a party celebrating a family member who just publicly belittled and insulted Melinda in the manner that he did in the recent interview... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe Brian and Melinda could have attended while wearing custom-printed t-shirts with quotes from recent Mike articles. 

I do applaud the extended family of Wilsons and others who did attend, who are probably trying their damnedest for things to not get even worse, and to heal the wounds between the camps, which obviously the birthday boy seems to be completely incapable of even *trying* to do.

I applaud them as well. Worth noting about David Marks is that he should be commended for not playing politics. He does gigs with Mike and Al. However, also worth nothing is that David isn’t regularly dragged through the mud in interviews with other members. If Mike said something about Dave’s wife that Dave felt was untrue and unfair, Dave might not be hanging out with Mike either, I can only guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »

Happy birthday Mike! Am I the only who think's he's actually gotten handsomer with age?

probably.

All kidding aside, I think Mike added a lot to the band in the 60's, especially.  Somewhat in the 70's.  He continued to be a good live front man through the 80's, and is to this day.  He still wrote a good song now and then in the 80's, or helped write them.  I love "Goin' to the Beach."  I'm of the opinion the Beach Boys ceased to exist after Carl died.  But, and it's a Big But.  Mike's Beach Boy Band serves a purpose.  Keeping the Beach Boys name alive - he certainly brings in new fans.  I also wish Brian would have (could have) used his vocal talent on some of his solo tracks over the years.  I've always supported the idea that Brian's 1988 album could have been a new beginning for the band, they were all still in great shape, and those are some of the best songs ever written.  There are places on No Pier Pressure where a Mike lead or harmony vocal would fit right in.  Brian was recreating the 60's Beach Boys on many of the tracks.  Something should have been worked out for him to be there.  When I listen to "Our Special Love," I hear Mike singing Peter Hollens lines.  Mike should add the song to his set.  I would like to hear how he would sound on "Saturday Night" - Nate sure didn't do it justice.  Too bad Brian's girls were not listening to more classic Beach Boys numbers.

So, I like Mike, and hope his birthday was a great party.

Seems every mention of his name starts arguments from some fans around here, tho.  Even in a Birthday wishes thread.  Let the politics slide for a day, or forever.  Okay?

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

Hey Jude you made me laugh today.....If you only knew!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »

It's a shame Mike felt the need to mention Brian not being there.  He didn't mention Bruce or Al not being there.  Maybe they weren't invited!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »

I must have initially skimmed Mike's long, meticulously-detailed recounting of his own surprise party, because I missed that he did actually specifically feel the need to mention that he was told Brian was invited but declined. Classic Beach Boys-style passive-aggressiveness.

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:02 AM »

Mike's still putting on good shows at 75.  Not many have had that kind of longevity.

Happy birthday, sir.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »

I must have initially skimmed Mike's long, meticulously-detailed recounting of his own surprise party, because I missed that he did actually specifically feel the need to mention that he was told Brian was invited but declined. Classic Beach Boys-style passive-aggressiveness.

I can only assume the intention is to get the readers "outraged" at Brian and Melinda. I can think of no other reason for him to go out of his way to publicly call attention to it, unless he is afraid he's gonna look like a bad guy lest anyone assume they weren't invited. A tragic way for family to communicate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:49:51 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »

The funny thing is, if the point was truly and innocently simply to make sure everybody knows they did invite Brian, then does that imply Al wasn't invited?  LOL

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

I actually went on Mike's FB page and looked.  It was impressive, maybe short of everyone vomiting overboard on the one boat - but I've been there, done that when I used to sail regularly off Marina del Rey in my own sailboat, so I'm totally empathetic.  Please, don't go to the lav!  Hang over the back of the boat - feed the fishes - the lav can't take it.  Obviously, the ocean leaves you with the inability to prepare.  It looks like his wife made amazing efforts.  Very nice on her part.  I also love Hong Kong, so good for him.

Anyway, I did notice the photos of the attendees - someone seem to think they saw Diane - I think probably not.  Otherwise, it looked like the usual folks.

As far as Brian's lack of attendance.  He's a little busy these days, and that was well-known for a long time.  Of course, it's also very hard to catch Mike, like when he was invited to the L&M screening originally.  Funny how this stuff plays out.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:07:56 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »

The funny thing is, if the point was truly and innocently simply to make sure everybody knows they did invite Brian, then does that imply Al wasn't invited?  LOL

That's a good point. I highly doubt Mike would have not invited Al, since Mike obviously invited all his other C50 lineup BB bandmates.

It's amazing how Al is seemingly completely forgotten or overlooked by Mike time and time again in interviews, as though he is a complete non-issue in context of the band, who matters not one bit to anyone.  Sucks to be Al, I guess.

I really do think Mike is trying to communicate with Brian somehow. Does Mike think Melinda is essentially imprisoning Brian, forcing Brian to not attend Mike's party, not telling him about it? I can only assume that Mike's desire from posting about Brian's non-appearance is hoping that Brian either reads Mike's post and Brian somehow gets "outraged" at Melinda, or that public opinion of the readers of the post makes everyone feel sorry for Mike and direct their hate to "evil" Melinda (and that this public "outrage" would get back to Brian somehow, and cause Brian to break free of his "chains").  

No other explanation of mentioning/shaming Brian in this manner would make any particular sense to me. Who would ever go out of their way to publicly shame someone for not attending a private party? This shaming doesn't happen for no reason. Mike's up to something.

So beyond dysfunctional and sad. Mike will seemingly never allow himself to believe that Brian would EVER say no to Mike unless someone else is forcing Brian to do it. Would Jackie and Mike appear at Brian's birthday party if Brian were to publicly sh*t talk about Jackie in interviews? And mere days later? Of course not. It's ridiculous for Mike to expect otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:43:02 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx