-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The debate about food and alcohol
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The debate about food and alcohol  (Read 6363 times)
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »

Hi all,

Since the 80's I have been hearing and taking part in the debate about food and alcohol.  Whether one should just have some food without alcohol or just the drink without the food.  Both are fattening.  I have found out that even if you have padding that is not a 100% guarantee that you won't get drunk.  If there is little food and mostly booze at an event you will get drunk.  Some say that they would rather drink than eat when out on the weekends.  Some people have said they would rather eat than drink.  Some say they are being good by only drinking.  Others say they are being good by only having two drinks.  The thing here is that if one wants to eat food with their drink of choice they can have fresh vegetables, fruit, the Special K items that are now on the shelves at stores or a nice salad.  Fried food will put on the weight along with the beer or mixed drinks.  If you know that you are going to drink a lot at night cutting the snacks during the day will help you. 
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »

When I drink at work I usually don't eat (since I am not allowed to eat in my office). I fill my water bottle with vodka and 7UP in the morning and bring it to work. I chew chewing gum to make the vodka smell go away.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:12:52 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:23:53 AM »

Mary,

When it comes to the weekend, I like to eat, drink, and be merry. 

We don't often go out for drinks, and when we do, it's usually in the late afternoon to a place we can walk to. 

I've gotten pretty good about knowing my alcohol limits and taking precautions such as eating and keeping hydrated. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »

I like eating and drinking. Some combination thereof might kill me someday. But if not those, something else.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:58:27 AM »

But if not those, something else.
Starvation? Despair?? Do tell.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 05:16:18 AM »

But if not those, something else.
Starvation? Despair?? Do tell.

I don't know, I'm still in my 30s (barely) and healthy. Statistically I'd guess heart disease or cancer.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:17:34 AM »

Heartbreak from local sports teams?  Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 05:18:47 AM »

Heartbreak from local sports teams?  Wink

I hear that.  As a Baltimore fan, it was a long winter in 2012 after that tough loss in the AFC Championship to New England.  A lot of bourbon got consumed that winter.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 05:23:37 AM »

Same here after my Chicago Cubs were so close to the WS last season.  Cry.               Glad the Blackhawks make up for the Bears being a dumpster fire the last couple years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 05:34:47 AM »

Same here after my Chicago Cubs were so close to the WS last season.  Cry.               Glad the Blackhawks make up for the Bears being a dumpster fire the last couple years.

Yeah, I went through that in 2014 when my Orioles were upset by the KC Royals in the ALCS. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 05:38:12 AM »

My mom is from Baltimore and named me after their HOF third baseman. I like the them as my AL team.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 05:49:48 AM »

I like eating and drinking. Some combination thereof might kill me someday. But if not those, something else.

How about debate? Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »

My mom is from Baltimore and named me after their HOF third baseman. I like the them as my AL team.

That's pretty cool. 

I was three years old when the Orioles won their last World Series.  They came close in 1997 and 2014. 

I'm seen two Ravens Super Bowl Championships.  So, I'd love to see an Orioles World Series Championship just once.  There would be a lot of champagne.....er.....um.....sparkling white wine consumed at my house if it happened. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 05:57:09 AM »

I am up for that party! Wink

KDS
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:47 AM »

I am up for that party! Wink

As long as you don't mind the songs Orioles Magic and Queen's We Are the Champions being played on loop. 

Looking at our starting rotation, I don't think it's going to be this October. 

But, I'll still be enjoying some steamed crabs and Natty Bohs (see?  staying with the topic) watching the Orioles this summer. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:26 AM »

Brooks! He was my favorite baseball player growing up. Think I liked him because he looked like a Regular Joe, not an athlete.
Had a fun time at Camden Yards for several games back in 1997. They were so close that year.

As for drinking, the last time I had more than one drink in the last 30 years was when the Saints won the NFL championship. Figured that would probably be the only time that would happen, so might as well celebrate. But ate a lot of food beforehand.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

Yeah he was the "human vacuum cleaner" at third base and made one of the greatest defensive plays in WS history! (To stay on topic) It is important to eat and drink in balance during sporting events.

KDS
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 07:08:05 AM »

Brooks! He was my favorite baseball player growing up. Think I liked him because he looked like a Regular Joe, not an athlete.
Had a fun time at Camden Yards for several games back in 1997. They were so close that year.

As for drinking, the last time I had more than one drink in the last 30 years was when the Saints won the NFL championship. Figured that would probably be the only time that would happen, so might as well celebrate. But ate a lot of food beforehand.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Brooks Robinson a few times, and he couldn't be nicer.  

If you meet him, you'd never know that he was a 16 time Gold Glover, former AL MVP, and Baseball Hall of Famer.  He'll talk to you like you're a long time friend.  

I had some celebratory drinks when the Ravens won Super Bowl XLVII (the game was in New Orleans).  But, between Buffalo chicken dip, pizza, and sloppy joe pockets, I had a lot of food before the game.  
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »

I frequently debate food and alcohol, but never when I'm eating or drinking.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »

How much do you drink per week, MaryUSA?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: