gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:38:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Live IN Concert 1973  (Read 13630 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »

I was there at Pine Knob for Sail On Sailor. I remember Jack Reilly jumping around the stage before the concert. Also saw Daryl warming up and Toni checking Mike's mic. Wonderful show with everybody there except Brian to finish the Summer. What a fine night it was in the Motor City.

You're thinking 9/4/72 if Jack, Daryl & Toni were there. But "SO,S" wouldn't be recorded for another three months...

Exactly, thank you. And c-man, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:50:18 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:39 PM »

while I love this period of the beach boys, I gotta say I may be the only person here unimpressed with the album.
I like the newer tunes of the day, but thought they butchered the old hits with new arrangements and weak vocals.
Al Jardine particularly.  this is an album that could use some autotune dare I say  Roll Eyes
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »

I may be misremembering, but I don't think any of the single disc versions made it to the released version.

Hmm, that's interesting. Would Ian or Jonathon perhaps have any more information of this subject?

I just listened to each  of the songs from the single disc and the double release and I concur that none of them are the same

Hahah ! Just threw that one in there nonchalantly, didn't ya !!

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »

I may be misremembering, but I don't think any of the single disc versions made it to the released version.

Hmm, that's interesting. Would Ian or Jonathon perhaps have any more information of this subject?

I just listened to each  of the songs from the single disc and the double release and I concur that none of them are the same

Of course, I forgot that the version of "H&V" on Hawthorne, CA is the original, single disc, version.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:37 AM »

while I love this period of the beach boys, I gotta say I may be the only person here unimpressed with the album.
I like the newer tunes of the day, but thought they butchered the old hits with new arrangements and weak vocals.
Al Jardine particularly.  this is an album that could use some autotune dare I say  Roll Eyes
Which ones, may I ask? Heroes & Villains is probably (tempo-wise) the best version of the song that I have ever heard. Darlin' is as good or better than the original. I'll take this version of Fun Fun Fun over anything live that I have heard since the late 80's. Personally, I don't want the live songs sounding verbatim of the studio versions. I can stay home and put a record or CD on if I want to listen in that context.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »

So, I'm sitting down with my first cup of coffee this dreary Maryland morning, perusing the Board, and my eye catches a post about In Concert

Well, that is my favorite period of the Boys' career (apart from, well, you know . . . ), so I click on and see the inquiry from The_Beach.  Great question!  Yeah, I'd like to know that, too.

I'm not sure if that information is available or where one would even begin to look for it.  Then, a short time later -- a mere 2 hours, 12.5 minutes, and 45 seconds, to be precise -- there's the answer.  Clear, concise, neatly presented, easy to print out, and opening the door to oh so many fantastic possibilities. 

And my very next thought is, "This Board is, quite frankly, amazing.  A fairly complicated question gets a thorough, authoritative response in about two hours. It's like having your very own Beach Boys History Hotline.  Where else could that happen?"

So, thank you C-Man for always raising the bar on this Board's potential and magic.

And thank you, Andrew, for the added bonus . . . two new favorite words . . . .fuckwittery and shitweasledom.  But the night is so young.   

Didn't know whether to quote you or the ever witty Andrew in giving a nod to C-Man.  Can't tell you the # of these shows I either photographed or filmed parts of, or how many different versions of these songs I listened to Carl work on mixing.  But I never would have been able to identify which shows which songs came from - you're the best, C-Man!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:02 PM »

I'm not sure if that information is available or where one would even begin to look for it.  

I'll just add that the individual dates and venues were also put forth in Jon Stebbins and Ian Rusten's simply excellent "Beach Boys In Concert" book (the noted research at hand of which I'd assume was also excellently provided by C-Man there). I don't buy many BBs books these days, but I've never regretted purchasing this one for a single second. So much great info in there!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beach-Boys-Concert-Complete/dp/1617134562

And thanks for putting up the list again here, Craig. I must've combed over that section of the book a dozen times trying to figure out why *only* the date/venue for "Fun, Fun, Fun" seemed to be missing! Even posted a query about it to one of the sub-forums here to no avail. Good to know I'm not completely blind...lol.

Now...hopefully that last one will turn up as well at some point.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:53:12 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »

Thanks for the plug. I think I got that info from Alan Boyd but c-man helped a lot with the book too! Both very generous
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »

Here is a truly trivial question that doesn't deserve it's own thread:
On this LP, right at the beginning of "Sail on Sailor" someone with a deepish clear voice says something like "Everybody". Do you know who said it and what it is he says?
For some reason ever since I was 4 or so I hear that "Everybody" (or whatever) in my head about a dozen times a day.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »

Always believed it was simply Dennis (but I may be wrong) encouraging the audience to clap along with the beat...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »

Always believed it was simply Dennis (but I may be wrong) encouraging the audience to clap along with the beat...
Yeah, I always assumed it was audience encouragement. Had no guess who it was though and was not positive about the word, but pretty sure.
Thanks for answering!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32:03 PM »

<<Jon Stebbins and Ian Rusten's simply excellent "Beach Boys In Concert" book>>

I couldn't agree more.  One of the great things about this book are all the shared experiences.  It's rare to read a historical tome like this and be able to point to a specific place, a specific day and a specific hour and say... "I was there that day."
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »

The first time I heard this LP was when someone at school gave me their mums's copy.  I was excited, having loved Beach Boys Concert.  However, I was a little confused by it and slightly disappointed as I didn't think it sounded like the Beach Boys and didn't have the loud cheering etc.

Later on I got to love it for the wonderful album it is.  Great musicianship, fresh arrangements and a document of a band at the top of their game.  This was a great period for the group.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »

Of course since it came out I've found many updates
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »

Of course since it came out I've found many updates

... which are noted at 10452.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 02:12:23 AM »

Yeah, I always assumed it was audience encouragement. Had no guess who it was though and was not positive about the word, but pretty sure.
Thanks for answering!

Yeah Dennis to me. He wasn't drumming then and as Bruce was not in the band at the time, someone had to do it.  LOL
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:06 AM »

Which ones, may I ask? Heroes & Villains is probably (tempo-wise) the best version of the song that I have ever heard. Darlin' is as good or better than the original. I'll take this version of Fun Fun Fun over anything live that I have heard since the late 80's. Personally, I don't want the live songs sounding verbatim of the studio versions. I can stay home and put a record or CD on if I want to listen in that context.

here are my thoughts, but its just my opinion of course browsing through the tracks:
Some of the 70's tunes are awesome.  And very fitting.
sloop john b sounds like a 'rock n roll music' type of performance. kinda heavy on the 'rock' style.
I understand it was the early 70's of course, but it's tempo drives me silly.
you still believe in me, is a terrible.  the backing sounds out of tune and sounds to me Al is struggling with the lead.
California Girls always sounds pretty good live.
but dont worry baby, grinds me to this day! surely they had a better version of it recording multiple shows.
Carl is great as nearly always, but Al to me on this, sounds strained, weak, and nothing in memory or feel to Brian's vocal.
there is even a live version from 1980 or so where Brian sang the vocal, while not in a great state, still held a candle to anybody.
So maybe I understated the album a bit, a few choice performances, as a young kid, really turned me off that I still carry with today.
My definite taste in a live album is definitely 'live in london' and then 'concert 64'.  let's not go there haha.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 06:10:38 AM »

I was there at Pine Knob for Sail On Sailor. I remember Jack Reilly jumping around the stage before the concert. Also saw Daryl warming up and Toni checking Mike's mic. Wonderful show with everybody there except Brian to finish the Summer. What a fine night it was in the Motor City.

You must be thinking of two different Pine Knob shows - Daryl and Toni left at the end of '72, after the November tour, and "Sailor" wasn't added to the setlist 'til the following year.
Thanks c-man for that breakdown.  That CD (yes, I had the vinyl) is in my top 3 of BB stuff and listen to it still a lot, in the CD 6 pack in my old car.  Saw Toni Tennille in the early spring of 1972.  

Love the live work, even if it is not all from one show.  YSBIM is a gem because it was so rarely done, live and Leaving This Town, Trader, SOS, DWB - OMG.      

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:12:17 AM by filledeplage » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »

Thank you so much C-man!!! That was very helpful! In my opinion I love to hear the stuff live that wasn't normally done! Hearing some of these songs are very nice! Leaving This Town was only played live about 5 times. I would love to hear a Live CD pack full of songs that were rarely played live with songs from the 70's and 80's!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »

I'm not sure if that information is available or where one would even begin to look for it.  

I'll just add that the individual dates and venues were also put forth in Jon Stebbins and Ian Rusten's simply excellent "Beach Boys In Concert" book (the noted research at hand of which I'd assume was also excellently provided by C-Man there). I don't buy many BBs books these days, but I've never regretted purchasing this one for a single second. So much great info in there!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beach-Boys-Concert-Complete/dp/1617134562

And thanks for putting up the list again here, Craig. I must've combed over that section of the book a dozen times trying to figure out why *only* the date/venue for "Fun, Fun, Fun" seemed to be missing! Even posted a query about it to one of the sub-forums here to no avail. Good to know I'm not completely blind...lol.

Now...hopefully that last one will turn up as well at some point.

Thanks Dave...I was wondering when reading this thread if folks had forgotten that Ian and my Beach Boys In Concert book had provided the majority of this info several years ago in nicely published form. I appreciate the credit where credit is due. I know Ian was adamant about trying to solve that particular riddle among our thousands of concert dates in the book.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:56:42 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »

I have always heard the beach boys did Brown Sugar once in 1975 but I believe that is a false rumor anyone have an opinion on that? or knows if its ture or not?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »

Al Jardine particularly.  this is an album that could use some autotune dare I say  Roll Eyes

here are my thoughts, but its just my opinion of course browsing through the tracks:
Some of the 70's tunes are awesome.  And very fitting.
sloop john b sounds like a 'rock n roll music' type of performance. kinda heavy on the 'rock' style.
you still believe in me, is a terrible.  the backing sounds out of tune and sounds to me Al is struggling with the lead.
but dont worry baby, grinds me to this day! surely they had a better version of it recording multiple shows.
Carl is great as nearly always, but Al to me on this, sounds strained, weak, and nothing in memory or feel to Brian's vocal.
there is even a live version from 1980 or so where Brian sang the vocal, while not in a great state, still held a candle to anybody.
So maybe I understated the album a bit, a few choice performances, as a young kid, really turned me off that I still carry with today.
My definite taste in a live album is definitely 'live in london' and then 'concert 64'.  let's not go there haha.

Funny, if you read reviews of the album online from William Ruhl, etc., they loved the new interpretation of YSBIM and especially, DWB. I'm with you on YSBIM, but I love Carl's vocals on DWB. I also like the arrangement of Sloop, as well. I always thought the studio version a bit slow in tempo. The early to mid-70's is the era I grew up in, so I am kind of partial to the updated arrangements of the older songs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »

For me, totally subjectively, this is the Beach Boys album. Not because of an artistic evaluation or, obviously, commercial reasons, but simply because I listened to it straight-through at least four times a week from before I can remember until I was 12 or so. Most of the songs have been supplanted in my head by the studio versions, but the three that I still vastly prefer the "In Concert" versions to are Sail On Sailor, Funky Pretty and Marcella (of course We Got Love, but that's not really fair). It's probably not coincidental that those are songs that originated about this time; they played them in the spirit they were recorded and written but with a little extra oomph, I feel. Trader is close: the studio version has a really interesting and powerful Nordic men's chorus-like "oh-oh-oh" behind the verses but Carl's vocal live is fantastic. I've also always loved the live Caroline, No and You Still Believe in Me, though I've come to like the studio versions a bit better.
Eta: Dr. Beach Boy brought up Sloop, another excellent one from this album.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:35:30 AM by Emily » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 03:58:07 PM »

Al Jardine particularly.  this is an album that could use some autotune dare I say  Roll Eyes

you still believe in me, is a terrible.  the backing sounds out of tune and sounds to me Al is struggling with the lead.
My definite taste in a live album is definitely 'live in london' and then 'concert 64'.  let's not go there haha.

Funny, if you read reviews of the album online from William Ruhl, etc., they loved the new interpretation of YSBIM and especially, DWB. I'm with you on YSBIM, but I love Carl's vocals on DWB. I also like the arrangement of Sloop, as well. I always thought the studio version a bit slow in tempo. The early to mid-70's is the era I grew up in, so I am kind of partial to the updated arrangements of the older songs.

ah yes Dr, Carl Wilson was really at his creative and singing peak during these years.  Carl's vocals on DWB makes me wonder why he didn't sing
the whole damn thing! he is beautiful on this.  His voice is magic over this whole album. 
just off topic to this, Carl's beautiful live version of 'only with you' from 72' on Made in California, is magic.
would be great to get an expanded version of 'in concert'. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

ah yes Dr, Carl Wilson was really at his creative and singing peak during these years.  Carl's vocals on DWB makes me wonder why he didn't sing
the whole damn thing! he is beautiful on this.  His voice is magic over this whole album.  
just off topic to this, Carl's beautiful live version of 'only with you' from 72' on Made in California, is magic.
would be great to get an expanded version of 'in concert'.  
Are you reading this Alan Boyd and Mark Linett?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:42:34 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,