gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:00:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love On Brian Wilson  (Read 4861 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »

Watch the video........

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/mf/frame?mfurl=lid=wmv-100-s.26544020,wmv-300-s.26544021,wmv-56-s.26544022&p=tv&c=p3&.skin=et&f=96141170&dist=Paramount%20Pictures,%20TM%20and%20%A9%20Paramount%20Pictures,%20All%20Rights%20Reserved.&fn=empty.html
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 02:07:02 PM »

Sounds about right.

What compels a person to wear so many large rings?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:16:51 PM »

It has something to do with ayurveda, I think.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:15:49 PM »

Ask Ringo Starr
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »

Mike looks tired..  hasn't been getting much sleep with all this media blitz the past few weeks, I'm thinking.

Am I the only person that laughed at the thought of Brian drinking four gallons of coffee?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 08:10:54 PM »

Am I the only person that laughed at the thought of Brian drinking four gallons of coffee?

I do have to say something regarding this. Mike's comment about Brian drinking 24 Grasshoppers in one sitting sounds true because Brian has said as much in some interviews. Also, consider the following:

When I first met the group in 1978, I worked with a disc jockey named Beau Weaver who had been a weekend DJ at KHJ and moved to Houston to take over the afternoon drive slot. He had met Brian several times and informed me that the group was going to be at a certain hotel in Houston and to meet him there. I got lost and was late arriving. I missed Beau and Brian in the bar. Beau said Brian ordered five white russians. When the drinks were delivered, Brian downed the drinks one right after another and then stood up and walked away. Beau said no more than two minutes had passed.

SO................
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »

It has something to do with ayurveda, I think.

FOrgive my ignorance,...but what's that?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

Ayurveda (Devanagari: आयुर्वेद ) or ayurvedic medicine is a form of traditional medicine in use primarily in the Indian subcontinent. The word "Ayurveda" is a tatpurusha compound of āyus "life" and veda "knowledge", and would roughly translate as the "Science of Life". [1] Ayurveda deals with the measures of healthy living, along with therapeutic measures that relate to physical, mental, social and spiritual harmony. Ayurveda is also one among the few traditional systems of medicine involving surgery.[2]

Ayurveda was first described by Agnivesha, in his book Agnivesh tantra. The book was later revised by Charaka, and renamed to Charaka Samhitā.[citation needed] Other early texts of Ayurveda include the Charaka Samhitā and the Sushruta Samhitā, which served as textual material in the ancient Universities of Takshashila and Nalanda. [1] The texts are believed to have been written around the beginning of the Common Era, and is based on a holistic approach rooted in earlier Vedic culture. Its conspicuous use of the word veda, or knowledge, reveals its role in early Hinduism and describes its hallowed place in India. Hindus consider a divine origin of Ayurvedic medical sciences from Lord Brahma.[2]

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 01:08:13 PM »

I watched the Mike segment on ET.  It's a little different than what's on the Web site (which is footage that was left out of the broadcast interview).  What a bitter man.  If there's no Beach Boys reunion, it will be because of Mike.  I wouldn't want to play with him if I were Brian.  Why is he still rehashing Brian's problems years after the fact?  It seems pretty clear that Mike thinks of Brian as an insane burn-out who hasn't improved any over the years (also note his remarks in the Imus video).  Why does Mike want to play or write with Brian again if he has such negative feelings that he can't get over?  Maybe he doesn't really want a reunion.  Which is probably for the best for all involved.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »

Ask Ringo Starr

Or conduct a seance and ask Liberace. Of course, he played the piano very well with the rings on.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 04:00:37 AM »

I watched the Mike segment on ET.  It's a little different than what's on the Web site (which is footage that was left out of the broadcast interview).  What a bitter man.  If there's no Beach Boys reunion, it will be because of Mike.  I wouldn't want to play with him if I were Brian.  Why is he still rehashing Brian's problems years after the fact?  It seems pretty clear that Mike thinks of Brian as an insane burn-out who hasn't improved any over the years (also note his remarks in the Imus video).  Why does Mike want to play or write with Brian again if he has such negative feelings that he can't get over?  Maybe he doesn't really want a reunion.  Which is probably for the best for all involved.

I didn't really take it that way, personally.  They probably caught up with Mike, and edited together all of the negative things he had to say... and in my opinion, most of what he said was true.  You have to realize that to Mike, that's his perception of the events.  He said Dennis was incredibly handsome, talented, and kind, then got engulfed and trapped by drugs and alcohol.  That seems like a fair assessment to me.  He said Carl died of the same thing George Harrison did, lung cancer, and had smoked since he was 14.  That's true as well, and maybe somebody else will put down a ciggarette because Mike mentioned it on television... He said Brian changed when he started taking LSD, and talked about how sad it was because of how much he loved him as his cousin, and he hated to see him so 'lost in the drugs' or whatever he said.  That's not negative, that's reality.  He sounded sincerely sorrowful to me in the interview.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 04:55:35 AM »

Ron amen. Mike's done some things I don't agree with on a creative or business level but I think he cared for cousins even if he didn't understand them until he got older. Watch the 1980 GMA interview I think Mike showed remarkable restraint. I know if my career was at stake I would be furious as well. I mean I love Brian and he is a unique talent but he came off bitter himself in that BBC doc from 2003 or so. So he has his moments too. None of them have always conducted themselves with decorum but who of us has. I totally think there are people who have fed Brian bull that seek to keep the Beach Boys apart for their own gain. Yet I think Brian is a good man who is forgiving and smart enough to make his own judgments. Difference between the two, Mike says what he thinks like it or not. Brian either changes his mind a lot or tells people what they want to hear to not hurt anothers feelings.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 06:06:25 AM »

Ron and MBE,
        Two excellent, excellent posts!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 10:03:40 AM »

But what Mike said is so damn old.  And there's a reunion in the offing, supposedly.  Yes, Brian has said some unkind things about Mike.  But I guess the proof would have to be if he would say it at this point in time, post-reunion talk.  It's also a little tiring to have Brian's problems solely blamed on drugs and alcohol, both of which he has apparently not done in years. 

Mike either wants to work with Brian or not.  I'm not sure he really wants to, given his attitude.  What would be the point, anyways?  It's not like it would sell that well.  Neither guy can sing very well anymore.  As Mike likes to crow, the biggest hit the Beach Boys had in recent years wasn't even co-written by Brian.  Maybe he should stick to touring with Bruce and trying to make solo records (if he can ever get around to getting one released).  His relationship with Al Jardine may be even worse than the one with Brian, so maybe for the sake of everyone's well-being, the reunion idea should be dropped.  Or at least don't talk about it unless everyone can let go of the past and patch things up for real,  whether they be Mike, Brian, or Al.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 04:02:52 PM »

We don't really know the circumstances of the interview, though.  Mike speaks his mind, if an interviewer says "Why did the beach boys break up" what's he supposed to say?  "Oh, Brian was better than all of us so he went solo" ?  He's gonna say "Well, of course Dennis passed away, and Brian unfortunately had mental issues and in my opinion developed a severe drug addiction" so of course he's gonna talk about the old stuff.  He did say at the end of the interview that he wanted to get back together with Brian and he hoped it would happen. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »

I hardly ever post here, but I thought I'd just add my two cents. He could have said, "You know, this has been talked to death. Yes, there were drug problems in the group, divorces, and so on. My cousin Brian had a lot of problems [and you, know maybe he could have admitted to maybe causing some problems himself, because they all did], but he's doing so much better these days, and it's great to see him healthy. We got along well during the rooftop reunion, and I think maybe it's time to let the past go."

Or maybe he did, and ET cut that part out.

We don't really know the circumstances of the interview, though.  Mike speaks his mind, if an interviewer says "Why did the beach boys break up" what's he supposed to say?  "Oh, Brian was better than all of us so he went solo" ?  He's gonna say "Well, of course Dennis passed away, and Brian unfortunately had mental issues and in my opinion developed a severe drug addiction" so of course he's gonna talk about the old stuff.  He did say at the end of the interview that he wanted to get back together with Brian and he hoped it would happen. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »

You have to remember we are just looking at edited clips for the purpose of making money. Don't trust tabloid television as a source of honest journalism.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 06:26:46 PM »

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant when I said "maybe ET cut that part out."    Smiley
MBE
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »

I thought Mike explained Brian's addictive behavior quite well. He wasn't putting him down. Just explaining why.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx