gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:17:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncut Ultimate Guide to the Beach Boys  (Read 21770 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:40:35 AM »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/uncut-editors-diary/the-ultimate-music-guide-to-the-beach-boys-73042 on sale in the UK on Thursday.

"...there’s an amazing interview with Brian Wilson plucked from a March 1966 edition of NME.....This year, “Pet Sounds” turns 50, and has already been acclaimed once more by Uncut as the greatest album ever (we also, I can now cautiously reveal, pay a visit to his Beverly Hills mansion for an exclusive new interview in the next issue of Uncut itself). As Brian Wilson performs that incredible suite of songs on tour for one final time, it seems the perfect opportunity to put together an Ultimate Music Guide celebrating The Beach Boys."
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:05:15 AM »

“The secret [...] is abstaining from orgasm.”  Cheesy

Can't wait to buy my copy.

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »

And yet that wasn't the secret of Ernest Borgnine's longevity... Although maybe he only came when he went...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:25:15 AM »

Glad I didn't cancel my subscription when they started covering modern day stuf like Springsteen and Donovan…

“We live in divisive times.”
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »

And yet that wasn't the secret of Ernest Borgnine's longevity... Although maybe he only came when he went...

Ha! Seems like a good way to go!

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »

notice Brian's beagle was photo-shopped out of that nice old cover photo (inside the tent), which's a mistake IMO since I always liked the pooch and thought he gave it a nice 'crowning touch' at the top

(I refrain from calling it either Banana or Louie since I've been known to mix-up the two)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »

notice Brian's beagle was photo-shopped out of that nice old cover photo (inside the tent), which's a mistake IMO since I always liked the pooch and thought he gave it a nice 'crowning touch' at the top

(I refrain from calling it either Banana or Louie since I've been known to mix-up the two)

Banana was the beagle, Louie was the weimaraner.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 07:53:46 AM »

the song VEGATABLES (or do you say VEGA-TABLES?) would make an excellent dog food commercial theme IMO, lyrics rewritten to the degree necessary
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »

Wow, he was talking about that to Rolling Stone in the '70s and then still to NME in the '90s. The idea stuck with him. I wonder if he pulled it off.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »

Did Brian challenge the other Boys to a contest, thus inspiring one of the greatest ever episodes of Seinfeld? 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »

Wow, he was talking about that to Rolling Stone in the '70s and then still to NME in the '90s. The idea stuck with him. I wonder if he pulled it off.

If he did, he was doing the abstaining wrong...
(In the 1990s interview, as I recall, he said that his father was the one who'd told him not to orgasm, which conjures up all sorts of unpleasant thoughts when one tries to imagine the conversation. I picture Murry going on a Jack D. Ripper-style rant about women stealing precious bodily fluids, and Brian taking it to heart as fatherly advice...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »

(In the 1990s interview, as I recall, he said that his father was the one who'd told him not to orgasm, which conjures up all sorts of unpleasant thoughts when one tries to imagine the conversation. I picture Murry going on a Jack D. Ripper-style rant about women stealing precious bodily fluids, and Brian taking it to heart as fatherly advice...)
Oh that's creepy that it came from Murry.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »

Looks like a great read.

Also in regards to the 'secret', this inexplicably comes to mind...

"You know, I was at the piano this morning, kind of writing a song...I don't know why, but I got a hard-on. I had to go to the bathroom and masturbate."

Saturday, June 14, 1986

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

If anyone is in the Vancouver, BC area, do  you know of a place that sells Uncut anymore? I haven't been able to find it in eons!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »

The article does state it will be available online soon.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »

Looks like a great read.

Also in regards to the 'secret', this inexplicably comes to mind...

"You know, I was at the piano this morning, kind of writing a song...I don't know why, but I got a hard-on. I had to go to the bathroom and masturbate."

Saturday, June 14, 1986

That'll be the 30th anniversary of it when I go see Brian in Burlington, yep, on the 14th of June. Nice!

Brian also said once that it "turned him on", although that might not necessarily be sexually, to think that people are listening to his songs anywhere in the world [as we're speaking]. But in the light of that quote from 1986, it just might be sexually.

catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »

Do you know if that 1990s interview is available anywhere on the Web?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »

Found this quote from a 1995 interview in Vox Magazine:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2716.msg51339.html#msg51339

I've seen that issue of Vox on eBay...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 01:07:18 PM »

Thanks!

Boy, did Murry mess up his son(s). But then, Brian has been known to say that he has sex twice a day, everyday, and then none at all. And then some, and then not. I was just reading through the Brianisms appreciation thread and been cracking up on all his contradictions. But it all only makes him more dear to me. These things just feed my love for him.  Love

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »

The joke in that original photo with Banana is that he's the top dog!  I imagined this photo would be used for the cover when Uncut FINALLY got around to doing the Boys issue.  Didn't imagine though that they would cut out our favorite beagle (apologies to Snoopy).  Banana definitely should have remained Uncut.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »

This honestly might've been one of the weirdest things I've ever read

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »

IIRC I have that issue. If it has the remarkable photos of Brian that I can not seem to locate anywhere... the pics are surreas, as if Bri is looking into a laughing mirror. There are a few photos of him that I find especially appealing, BTW, it's the Guy Webster one in b/w, with a very well-dressed Brian looking into the lens with a sombre face. Very stately. There are the ones from Vox, I think the photographer had a Belgian name, it will pop up in my mind some day today. And there is the Matthew Rolston one, again in b/w, in a Rolling Stone anniversay edition with portfolios of a number of rock photographers. Again, the Rolston is hard to locate, otherwise I would put it up here; to be honest, it portrays Brian as being fearful (I put it mildly), as if he is facing his personal demons precisely at the time Rolston took he photo. These are the standout pics for me.

(The finest Dennis photos BTW are the one that adorn the POB gatefold LP sleeve - they capture the mood of the music so well. IIRC that was Guy Webster again as the lensman.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »

Probably, as Marilyn complained about it.
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »

IIRC I have that issue. If it has the remarkable photos of Brian that I can not seem to locate anywhere... the pics are surreas, as if Bri is looking into a laughing mirror. There are a few photos of him that I find especially appealing, BTW, it's the Guy Webster one in b/w, with a very well-dressed Brian looking into the lens with a sombre face. Very stately. There are the ones from Vox, I think the photographer had a Belgian name, it will pop up in my mind some day today. And there is the Matthew Rolston one, again in b/w, in a Rolling Stone anniversay edition with portfolios of a number of rock photographers. Again, the Rolston is hard to locate, otherwise I would put it up here; to be honest, it portrays Brian as being fearful (I put it mildly), as if he is facing his personal demons precisely at the time Rolston took he photo. These are the standout pics for me.

(The finest Dennis photos BTW are the one that adorn the POB gatefold LP sleeve - they capture the mood of the music so well. IIRC that was Guy Webster again as the lensman.)

If you ever find those pics you're talking about I'd love to see them posted here... http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23506.0.html

KDS
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »

Probably, as Marilyn complained about it.

I would think Marilyn would only complain if he made her abstain from the big O. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx