gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:08:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Rarest Type of Beach Boys Song?  (Read 9997 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »

john left it off the list. There's no need for deep analysis as the difference is drastic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »

I left it off the list because it's a bone of contention. Give me the easy way out every time. Grin

Actually, I came here to ask if anyone has any idea who's conducting the mini-dialogue in "Amusement Parks USA" (a joyous song if ever there was one). 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »

I don't think so. You left it off because you agreed with me & because it's clearly difference between the 2. You asked for speech bits. There you have anything BUT Don't Back Down. Seriously, I never thought or heard or suspected or realized that "Not my boys" is talking. It is sung, once again. So it's out.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »

One long - the talking (arguing?) on "TM Song", and one short - Carl's son saying "Hi" on "The Trader". I know I'm in the minority here, but I think both songs would've benefited WITHOUT the spoken word(s).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

I left it off the list because it's a bone of contention. Give me the easy way out every time. Grin

I'm cool with that.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »

"Not my boys" is clearly sung (I believe someone named the notes earlier).  There's no other way to look at it really.

A few more that actually belong on the list:

Custom Machine--"Step on the gas she goes...."
Do You Remember--"Goodness gracious great balls of fire!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »

"Not my boys" is clearly sung (I believe someone named the notes earlier).  There's no other way to look at it really.
good gracious, thank you! I'm not alone. I nearly began feeling like an idiot convincing of same.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »

Seriously, I never thought or heard or suspected or realized that "Not my boys" is talking. It is sung, once again. So it's out.

Oddly, to my mind it has always had the "feel" of speech. It's the "lie" of the words that does it. The first two fit a spoken version perfectly but the third is too high. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »

Seriously, I never thought or heard or suspected or realized that "Not my boys" is talking. It is sung, once again. So it's out.

Oddly, to my mind it has always had the "feel" of speech. It's the "lie" of the words that does it. The first two fit a spoken version perfectly but the third is too high. 

Maybe we just perceive it differently, but in my mind "not my boys" is part of the melody.  Imagine the song without that phrase.  It would be pretty awkward.  The "don't back down, don't back down" counter melody would carry the song a little bit, but that main vocal would be left hanging.

In comparison, "split man" doesn't really follow a melody.  It could've been spoken in any tone, key, or pitch.  The same could not be said for "not my boys".

Just my 5 cents (adjusted for inflation, of course!  Wink )
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

Maybe we just perceive it differently, but in my mind "not my boys" is part of the melody.  Imagine the song without that phrase.  It would be pretty awkward.  The "don't back down, don't back down" counter melody would carry the song a little bit, but that main vocal would be left hanging.

In comparison, "split man" doesn't really follow a melody.  It could've been spoken in any tone, key, or pitch.  The same could not be said for "not my boys".

Just my 5 cents (adjusted for inflation, of course!  Wink )
This makes sense. The line between speech and singing is gray. But I think you could say the same for others on the list - I mean, take the speech out of summertime blues and drive in and where are you?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2016, 01:39:58 AM »

The line between speech and singing is gray.

True. Where does singing stop and speech begin? What to make of, say, The Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen"? Grin 

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »

Don't forget 'With Me Tonight'.

"GOOD."

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx