gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:40:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure Beach Boys songs  (Read 17016 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2017, 01:08:55 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Most of the '85 album
Somewhere Near Japan
South American
The Private Life of Bill And Sue

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2017, 02:59:52 AM »

Somewhere Near Japan and Crack At Your Love a bit embarrassing

Crack At Your Love is my archetypal guilty pleasure song. I honestly believe there is Brian Wilson greatness buried in there - just hard to get to through all the 80s synths and the inescapable anal imagery of the title.

Despite the upbeat production, the song oozes sadness. Imagine Brian hammering the middle eight out on a piano in that gruff wounded-bear Cocaine Sessions howl of his -

Lonely nights
Lonely days
Lonely nights
Lonely days
I'm reaching out for you
In my mind, in my mind ....

Greatness I tells ya!
I have never thought of this song that way before.  The production really hams the whole thing up.  Thinking about the song stripped down however, it does sound really melancholic don't you think?  Perhaps I'll cover it...  Wink

Yes, I really do think the song has a beautiful melody which the hammy production (as you say) does it's best to disguise. You can feel the melancholy in the chords which makes the song fascinating because it seems to contradict itself. I think if you're familiar with Brian's writing, you can pick up on that melancholy thing. Of course it's a co-write with Al, but the melody sounds very Brian to my ears.

I'd love to hear you do an alternative treatment if you get round to it. Make sure you post it here!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:06:34 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2017, 11:12:47 PM »

Somewhere Near Japan and Crack At Your Love a bit embarrassing

Crack At Your Love is my archetypal guilty pleasure song. I honestly believe there is Brian Wilson greatness buried in there - just hard to get to through all the 80s synths and the inescapable anal imagery of the title.

Despite the upbeat production, the song oozes sadness. Imagine Brian hammering the middle eight out on a piano in that gruff wounded-bear Cocaine Sessions howl of his -

Lonely nights
Lonely days
Lonely nights
Lonely days
I'm reaching out for you
In my mind, in my mind ....

Greatness I tells ya!

I couldn't agree more. It would have been better if it were produced better than with all those dated 80s synths, but the song grew on me a lot. The title makes me laugh a lot with its unintentional humor. Only Brian would title that for a song. I've been playing the chords on guitar on and off and there are definitely some nice chord changes and the verse melody is great.

Male Ego is another guilty pleasure of mine. Cheesy and hilarious lyrics, and pure Brian Wilson songwriting that reminds me of Love You.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2017, 12:11:16 AM »

I like anything with Al lead, even "Crocodile Rock". He shifts any bad song to good.

I like anything with an Al OR Carl lead.  I stumbled upon the guys singing the Late Night Top 10 list from 1994 on you tube last night.  Man was that good.  A David Letterman Top 10 list and Carl sang the absolute crap out of it. 
Nice to see another Al fan. It seems like he's very underrated among BBs fans. Some poster even praised Bruce before Al & he's not even original BB. But "Al is just Al".

Is that video where Matt Jardine was? There's video with Letterman talking in-between & BBs changing lyrics to their songs to match the Top 10 content. There was Matt singing with the BBs. Carl is great singer but I wouldn't be total about him. There's some leads, esp. from the 70s which imo were Carl's worst. Tastes differ. Smiley

Re: CAYL - "crack" means "drug", right? I do not see the humor in drug reference.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 12:56:02 AM »

I like anything with Al lead, even "Crocodile Rock". He shifts any bad song to good.

I like anything with an Al OR Carl lead.  I stumbled upon the guys singing the Late Night Top 10 list from 1994 on you tube last night.  Man was that good.  A David Letterman Top 10 list and Carl sang the absolute crap out of it. 
Nice to see another Al fan. It seems like he's very underrated among BBs fans. Some poster even praised Bruce before Al & he's not even original BB. But "Al is just Al".

Is that video where Matt Jardine was? There's video with Letterman talking in-between & BBs changing lyrics to their songs to match the Top 10 content. There was Matt singing with the BBs. Carl is great singer but I wouldn't be total about him. There's some leads, esp. from the 70s which imo were Carl's worst. Tastes differ. Smiley

Re: CAYL - "crack" means "drug", right? I do not see the humor in drug reference.

Al had one of the best voices in the BBs.. And he still has conserved his voice a hell of a lot which is impressive.

"Crack" in this case is not the drug, it is an old expression, like "shot" or "a try", ie. "Recording? I want to get a crack at that guitar part again". Its just such a cheesy thing that is so very Brian and is funny.
Half Moon Bay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2017, 03:52:52 AM »

I have many guilty pleasure Beach boys songs but I just love Solar System . It's something about that  moog base, the sometimes wobbly background harmonies and the child like lyrics. I love astronomy but that track gets me every time. I was shocked to find out it was my most played Spotify track in 2016!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy is catchy as hell! Just don't sing it in public though...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »

I've always liked Tears in the Morning. 

People call it melodramatic, but I'd bet they'd call it a masterpiece if Dennis had written it.

"Tears In The Morning" is all I ever knew about Sunflower until 2003. Heck, I hadn't even heard of Sunflower until then!

I remember "Tears" got quite a bit of radio play in the UK in late 1970 but failed to chart.

I have no problems with it----more of a soft spot, actually.   
Mentioned this in the Sunflower thread already, but I'm a fan, too. The ending is beautiful, but I always forget that it's there.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »

I've always liked Tears in the Morning. 

People call it melodramatic, but I'd bet they'd call it a masterpiece if Dennis had written it.

Because he'd of done it more soulful instead of Bruce who was more bubblegum beauty.

I never listen to the Beach Boys around other people. Not because they're a guilty pleasure, but because they're so personal to me that I'd feel weird listening to them with anyone.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

Does Day In The Life Of a Tree count

I've seen that song dismissed so many times as a joke. I find it so much more haunting than Till I Die.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx