gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:01:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure Beach Boys songs  (Read 17013 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »

Fans who think of "In My Room" and "When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)" as guilty pleasures???  Holy cow! Snobbery I say.  Razz
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:11:58 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:42 PM »

Double post
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:11:22 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 04:56:42 AM »

I'd also add Tears in the Morning, Endless Harmony, and Still Cruisin' as favorites of mine, even if Tears is a bit melodramatic.

A bit?  LOL

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 05:11:04 AM »

Yes, quite an understatement.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2016, 05:20:20 AM »

I've always liked Tears in the Morning. 

People call it melodramatic, but I'd bet they'd call it a masterpiece if Dennis had written it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2016, 05:31:13 AM »

Well that's a stretch. I say a song is bad because it is bad. Besides, I'm not a big Dennis music fan.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2016, 05:38:20 AM »

I've always liked Tears in the Morning. 

People call it melodramatic, but I'd bet they'd call it a masterpiece if Dennis had written it.

"Tears In The Morning" is all I ever knew about Sunflower until 2003. Heck, I hadn't even heard of Sunflower until then!

I remember "Tears" got quite a bit of radio play in the UK in late 1970 but failed to chart.

I have no problems with it----more of a soft spot, actually.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2016, 05:45:15 AM »

Well that's a stretch. I say a song is bad because it is bad. Besides, I'm not a big Dennis music fan.

RR,

That wasn't really directed at you.  So I apologize if it came off that way. 

I really just think that if Dennis did Tears in the Morning or Brian or Carl did Disney Girls, those songs would get a lot more respect. 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy, Roller Skating Child, and Lazy Lizzie - I know it's not PC to like them but I do!!

Also a big fan of It Takes a Mess of Help which doesn't get much love around here.

The TM song is another - sure the lyrics are dopey but the tune and wacky arrangement - even the argument - are great!
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2016, 02:29:30 PM »

Problem Child

Mine is also Problem Child.  I have no excuse.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »

I don't feel guilty about any of their music anymore, I just love them so much. Although I'd feel weird if I played these songs in front of someone

Still Cruisin (Dumb lyrics but catchy song with some nice guitar and vocals)

Fall Breaks And Back To Winter (I'm sure most people would have a strange face on if they heard me play this but it is absolutely brilliant)

Sunshine on KTSA (great melody and exuberant vocals that I love.. real cheesy Caribbean type of sound on it but I love it)

Hey Little Tomboy, Roller Skating Child, Honking On The Highway [lyric: taking one little inch at a time now/until we're feeling fine now], I Want To Pick You Up (songs like these have some creepy lyrics, downright pedo type stuff but I know these guys don't mean any harm and I find them absolutely hilarious)

Island Girl (cheesy but some great vocals once again, especially from Carl)

Male Ego (cheesy again, with really dumb lyrics, but this is classic Mike/Brian songwriting right here)

Most of MIU or KTSA in general. Cheesy but fun as hell

I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man (really stupid but yet creepy and sad in an interesting way)

Rock N Roll Music, Chapel Of Love and some other 15 Big Ones stuff

There's so many "guilty pleasures" but that's why I love them. They are a unique band that were intent on being themselves, and they didn't make much effort to be overly serious or pretentious in anyway just to impress people. I'd rather have a whole album of "Sunshine" rather than stuff like "Student Demonstration Time".
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »

'Lookin Back With Love' when I'm feeling pseudo-masochistic, despite how hilariously cringy the lyrics kinda are. The song, not the whole album; I'm not into self torture!

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »

Getcha Back; Rock n Roll Music--MiC version

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

'All I Want To Do (Live In London 1968)' - MiC

The entirety of BB85. I don't know if it's the blatant 80s production, but it's got such a really cohesive sound with some solid tracks.

'Getcha Back' is probably my favorite Mike Love song ever. In fact I was at first under the assumption that it was a Brian Wilson song until I later on looked at the credits. A knockout of an opener and Brian's falsetto (whether or not it's looped/whatever for each chorus) makes this song really shine. That outro too. Just all around a great song.

Parts of 'It's Getting Late' sound like a recent song from the current top-40 band the Chainsmokers. 'She Believes In Love Again', 'I'm So Lonely', 'Crack At Your Love', etc...It's really a solid album when you keep in mind their other albums released in that decade/era.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

Somewhere Near Japan and Crack At Your Love a bit embarrassing
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »

'All I Want To Do (Live In London 1968)' - MiC

The entirety of BB85. I don't know if it's the blatant 80s production, but it's got such a really cohesive sound with some solid tracks.

'Getcha Back' is probably my favorite Mike Love song ever. In fact I was at first under the assumption that it was a Brian Wilson song until I later on looked at the credits. A knockout of an opener and Brian's falsetto (whether or not it's looped/whatever for each chorus) makes this song really shine. That outro too. Just all around a great song.

Parts of 'It's Getting Late' sound like a recent song from the current top-40 band the Chainsmokers. 'She Believes In Love Again', 'I'm So Lonely', 'Crack At Your Love', etc...It's really a solid album when you keep in mind their other albums released in that decade/era.

Love the album, although Brian's tracks are IMHO the worst on the album and drag the overall rating down a bit. Probably the only time you'll ever see that out of me :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

Landy will do that to a man...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

I've only hated a small amount of people in my life time, and he's one of them.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »

Crack At Your Love is my archetypal guilty pleasure song. I honestly believe there is Brian Wilson greatness buried in there - just hard to get to through all the 80s synths and the inescapable anal imagery of the title.

Despite the upbeat production, the song oozes sadness. Imagine Brian hammering the middle eight out on a piano in that gruff wounded-bear Cocaine Sessions howl of his -

Lonely nights
Lonely days
Lonely nights
Lonely days
I'm reaching out for you
In my mind, in my mind ....

Greatness I tells ya!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:42:45 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 04:26:41 AM »

I like anything with Al lead, even "Crocodile Rock". He shifts any bad song to good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:29:35 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »

GUILTY pleasure BEACH BOYS songs? You kidding me? It's an oxymoron!

P.S.
Ok, Mike covering "On and On and On". What can I say, I always liked his voice, and the song is catchy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:38:33 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »

Shortenin' Bread!  Goofy enough to have been on Love You.  Would have made a better final track on that album than on LA.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »

Maybe I Don't Know
Keepin' The Summer Alive
Here Comes The Night disco version
Those are the only ones I like that I would feel I would a need to defend...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:02 PM »

I like anything with Al lead, even "Crocodile Rock". He shifts any bad song to good.

I like anything with an Al OR Carl lead.  I stumbled upon the guys singing the Late Night Top 10 list from 1994 on you tube last night.  Man was that good.  A David Letterman Top 10 list and Carl sang the absolute crap out of it. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

Crack At Your Love is my archetypal guilty pleasure song. I honestly believe there is Brian Wilson greatness buried in there - just hard to get to through all the 80s synths and the inescapable anal imagery of the title.

Despite the upbeat production, the song oozes sadness. Imagine Brian hammering the middle eight out on a piano in that gruff wounded-bear Cocaine Sessions howl of his -

Lonely nights
Lonely days
Lonely nights
Lonely days
I'm reaching out for you
In my mind, in my mind ....

Greatness I tells ya!
I have never thought of this song that way before.  The production really hams the whole thing up.  Thinking about the song stripped down however, it does sound really melancholic don't you think?  Perhaps I'll cover it...  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx