gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 51970 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »

It seems that any conversation involving Mike-Eddie ends up there...at ridiculous Debbie.  So...let it be said that ultimately the guy invites hostility to erupt just ahead of the mandatory yawn festival.
I like reading Debbie's informed perspective, so please don't try to silence her.

I took it that a comma was missing in Add Some's post. I too enjoy having the opinion of someone with personal knowledge of what actually happened.
Oh! That makes sense. I was thinking that it seemed like a strange thing for Add Some to say. Good!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »

And, Mike's response is something that comes from his set of experiences.  Everyone has an opinion that they formulate, based on their experiences.  

Exactly. Melinda has obviously put Mike in his place, many many times. She is a person, or rather in particular, a woman, who dared to do that, and didn't kiss his ass. I wonder how many women who haven't kissed Mike's ass over the years exist that Mike *hasn't* tried to completely dismiss, disavow, or discredit in some way.

You have yet to explain the discrepancy between your thanking god for Melinda, and Mike not saying a single thing about her role in the process. If Melinda's set of experiences included bad treatment from Mike, she still can't go around saying Mike being a BB songwriter is "inaccurate". Until you address these contradictions, you will convince nobody that you have a single point to make, except the point that avoiding and ducking questions is messageboard assclownary of the highest order.

Why don't you just admit that you don't want to ever say anything bad about Mike, even in instances where you might not agree with him. Just own it. We can then agree to disagree. But not before.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:36:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »

It seems that any conversation involving Mike-Eddie ends up there...at ridiculous Debbie.  So...let it be said that ultimately the guy invites hostility to erupt just ahead of the mandatory yawn festival.
I like reading Debbie's informed perspective, so please don't try to silence her.

I took it that a comma was missing in Add Some's post. I too enjoy having the opinion of someone with personal knowledge of what actually happened.
Oh! That makes sense. I was thinking that it seemed like a strange thing for Add Some to say. Good!

Yes, I didn't take it personally.  It struck me as a missing comma, as well.  Of course Add Some can tell me if I'm wrong!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »

Yes, I didn't take it personally.  It struck me as a missing comma, as well.  Of course Add Some can tell me if I'm wrong!
Now that I look at it again, my reading is really odd!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

Wasn't trying to silence her or anyone else Emily.  I agree with her.  Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

Wasn't trying to silence her or anyone else Emily.  I agree with her.  Cool Guy

It's amazing what confusion a little comma can make.  The US Constitution's 2nd amendment (and its many commas) is still confounding its Supreme Court (although often in self-serving ways), and its citizens for many years now.  In the mean time, we have more guns than people in the US these days, it appears.

Happily, I've been posting along side you for a bit, so I figured you were agreeing.  I also appreciated Emily's support, just in case it wasn't intended that way.  While I'm not an MB old-timer, I've had my share of people agreeing, others wanting to bait me, others wanting to "take me down a notch (from what, I'm not certain)," and others just having a discussion.  It's an odd phenomenon, but we all seem to survive. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2016, 03:37:39 PM »

It seems that any conversation involving Mike-Eddie ends up there...at ridiculous Debbie.  So...let it be said that ultimately the guy invites hostility to erupt just ahead of the mandatory yawn festival.

Wasn't trying to silence her or anyone else Emily.  I agree with her.  Cool Guy

It's amazing what confusion a little comma can make.  The US Constitution's 2nd amendment (and its many commas) is still confounding its Supreme Court (although often in self-serving ways), and its citizens for many years now.  In the mean time, we have more guns than people in the US these days, it appears.

Happily, I've been posting along side you for a bit, so I figured you were agreeing.  I also appreciated Emily's support, just in case it wasn't intended that way.  While I'm not an MB old-timer, I've had my share of people agreeing, others wanting to bait me, others wanting to "take me down a notch (from what, I'm not certain)," and others just having a discussion.  It's an odd phenomenon, but we all seem to survive.  
Debbie - "Commas matter" in writing.  I agree.

This thread became very contentious and at some points unreasonably confrontational, in my opinion.  There have been many threads started which depict Brian's "extrication"  from Landy.  Peter Reum has written an article and shared the location, five pages back.  It was not contentious and people expressed profound gratitude.  Another thread, on page six, was Specifics on Brian's extraction from Landy. In that thread, there was a discussion of Landy's name on music.  

When the issue arose, I went online to do some research of my own as I usually do prior to posting.  I appreciate that effort when someone cites outside sources.  

When I reviewed those videos it helped put a better time-context on the case, and used whatever print resources I had available.  I should not have to "admit" this or that about any band member.  

No one asked any other posters (or those who don't post) who were involved in this extrication to deny their efforts.  I like to look at all possibilities, and  realize there may have been a few "unsung heroes" - who were involved, especially Wendy and Carnie, enormously successful a that time, who had to work with the elders in the family.  I had not thought about their legal position of being deprived of a father, but "being deprived of the society and companionship" of their father which is a legal issue, and, which I would imagine they pled in their filings.    

And, I will repeat that no other "plaintiffs" in the case, would detract from Melinda's involvement that appears to have served as a catalyst for the course of events. But that should not take away from the enormous contributions that family members, lawyers, Brian's mom, Brian's children, and all the other necessary parties, including the media who stepped up (and "stepped on" Landy,) while Landy is on national TV and is referring to the Wilson family as a very "sick" group of people.        

We are here to discuss this great sphere of music with which we've been blessed.   Wink
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:39:54 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »

I was in a comma coma.  I'll bet that NO ONE has ever called you Ridiculous Debbie  EVER  DKL...and they still haven't.  There's only one person here who I'd call ridiculous...NO...NOT YOU 'filled'.  *HE* doesn't post in any of the treads here at the Smiley Smile board... ... ...save one. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

All very interesting but we should remember what Beach Boys former employee Rick Nelson was once quoted as saying about Mike: "Imagine if he didn't meditate!!" 
Cool Guy

I don't think there's any way for Mike to stop himself from trying to rewrite history. It's too ingrained. Given that most of us both know that and accept that for what it is, we should be able to let it roll off our backs.

I think the proper flow chart for the "extraction" of Brian looks something like this:

Landy-->Usher-->evidence supporting legal actions against unethical med practice--->
        -->Melinda-->Audree-->Stan-->Carl and the family-->legal actions against "estate tampering"-->end of Landy

Mike's motivations to leave Melinda out are 99% likely to be sour grapes about lack of access and control of the BB's overall destiny. It's amazing to me that he is incapable of seeing how giving her credit would make him look better in the eyes of the world. That book of his, possibly even more than "Rocky's," really could be something to behold...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »

I agree Don.  We "should" be able to...but he keeps poking us with it...and changing it up ever-so-slightly so that it becomes even more annoying.  And the reason he's NOW doing it?  To promote a freakin' book.

I just can't respect that...or ignore it.  I know.  I'm weak.

I just don't suffer fools with ease...or gladly for that matter.  And Mike is a fool.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2016, 11:22:32 PM »

I think one reason why Carl may have been slow to act was that Landy was smart to not let Carl and the other guys see the things that Melinda and Gloria saw. Gloria, especially, probably saw Brian and his lowest, most doped-up and most mind-controlled by Landy.

My guess is that the bad doctor had Brian at very high levels of medication but would cut back on them whenever Brian was going to be around Carl and the Beach Boys. People talk about how completely out of it Brian would be, and how his eyes would roll back in his head. But when Brian was shooting the video for Rock and Roll to the Rescue he was energetic and, in the video, even hammy.

When they shot the campfire scenes in 1989, Brian was showing some signs of dyskinisia (which legitimate medication can cause in some cases) but otherwise was very good. For example, beginning in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZylusEw-68

at 1:08:50, he tells the story of writing Surfer Girl, leads the singing of a very nice rendition. And then at the end with all the good feeling around the campfire, he smiles at Mike and says, happily and without any slurring. "Our theme song."

If I saw that guy, I wouldn't thing he was horribly unhappy, being brainwashed or was ready to jump off a boat.

Landy was evil and smart, which made him really dangerous.

Note: While giving Carl and the Beach Boys and the rest of the family more of a pass than some others in the threat, I am NOT trying to diminish the actions of Melinda and Gloria. They are definitely heroes in this story.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2016, 01:17:14 AM »

FdP:Mike Love
Everyone else:Carl Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »

All very interesting but we should remember what Beach Boys former employee Rick Nelson was once quoted as saying about Mike: "Imagine if he didn't meditate!!"  
Cool Guy

I don't think there's any way for Mike to stop himself from trying to rewrite history. It's too ingrained. Given that most of us both know that and accept that for what it is, we should be able to let it roll off our backs.

I think the proper flow chart for the "extraction" of Brian looks something like this:

Landy-->Usher-->evidence supporting legal actions against unethical med practice--->
        -->Melinda-->Audree-->Stan-->Carl and the family-->legal actions against "estate tampering"-->end of Landy

Mike's motivations to leave Melinda out are 99% likely to be sour grapes about lack of access and control of the BB's overall destiny. It's amazing to me that he is incapable of seeing how giving her credit would make him look better in the eyes of the world. That book of his, possibly even more than "Rocky's," really could be something to behold...

It's even worse than Mike not seeing that giving Melinda credit would make him look better. He could simply start by not specifically and pointedly dismissing her role. Just not mentioning her name, if he has such strong animosity, would be a good start. But he can't even do that.

I have no reason to believe Mike *doesn't* understand what dismissing Melinda's role means as a media salvo and what it means in the BB political sphere.

As has been pointed out in the past, Mike's doing himself and his legacy no favors. The recent Rolling Stone article was probably as good as it's going to get. There was an author that, while snarky and familiar with Mike's reputation, certainly seemed open to letting Mike show another side and to prove his naysayers wrong.

If Mike's book is like these recent interviews (and let's be honest with ourselves, a book is by its very nature going to be totally one-sided, with no interview or journalist asking followup questions such as "why does the guy who meditates every day seem so unable to not be so angry and seem unable to proactively work on bettering group relations?"), it's going to be a slog to get through (yes, I'm sure there'll be some interesting pre-BB stories and tidbits here and there that we haven't heard), isn't going to help his reputation with fans, and while amenable media outlets (e.g. the O'Reilly Factor, Queen Latifah) will pitch Mike a bunch of softballs to let him talk up his book, in the long run a book that reads like his interviews is only going to seal his legacy as the overcompensating, defensive, inferiority complex-wielding Beach Boy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:13:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »

Cool Guy

It's even worse than Mike not seeing that giving Melinda credit would make him look better. He could simply start by not specifically and pointedly dismissing her role. Just not mentioning her name, if he has such strong animosity, would be a good start. But he can't even do that.

I have no reason to believe Mike *doesn't* understand what dismissing Melinda's role means as a media salvo and what it means in the BB political sphere.

As has been pointed out in the past, Mike's doing himself and his legacy no favors. The recent Rolling Stone article was probably as good as it's going to get. There was an author that, while snarky and familiar with Mike's reputation, certainly seemed open to letting Mike show another side and to prove his naysayers wrong.

If Mike's book is like these recent interviews (and let's be honest with ourselves, a book is by its very nature going to be totally one-sided, with no interview or journalist asking followup questions such as "why does the guy who meditates every day seem so unable to not be so angry and seem unable to proactively work on bettering group relations?"), it's going to be a slog to get through (yes, I'm sure there'll be some interesting pre-BB stories and tidbits here and there that we haven't heard), isn't going to help his reputation with fans, and while amenable media outlets (e.g. the O'Reilly Factor, Queen Latifah) will pitch Mike a bunch of softballs to let him talk up his book, in the long run a book that reads like his interviews is only going to seal his legacy as the overcompensating, defensive, inferiority complex-wielding Beach Boy.

All valid points, and it's all truly tragic in my opinion. Apologies for the off-topic sidebar, but I urge anyone who is a fan of Mike, yet has a difficult time trying to wrap their head around his behavior, to see the film "Steve Jobs" (with Michael Fassbender, not the "Jobs" film with Ashton Kutcher). "Steve Jobs" is about another super-successful celeb, who just appears to uncontrollably repeatedly lash out at those around them, won't acknowledge paternity of a daughter who desperately seeks acknowledgement, suffers from apparent egomania, and other general similarities. As hard as it can be to have empathy for people like this, at least the film connects the dots between Jobs' tragic childhood and how he came to be the way he did.

One day, perhaps a scripted film about Mike may come to be, which might delicately uncover some of those same connections, as he has become quite a tragic figure, perhaps even moreso than Jobs. Get Aaron Sorkin to do it. I certainly don't think the Steve Jobs film was made to "bash" Jobs, and I would hope a Mike film could be made in similar fashion. Perhaps Mike needs more general empathy directed his way, but what he doesn't need is inexcusable actions (like purposefully completely omitting Melinda in this article) being excused by people on this board, or by anyone for that matter.  What Mike needs from both his fans, as well as those in his inner circle, is people standing up TO him for doing things like this, which only serve to hurt himself in the long run.

There can certainly be other points of view, and other angles to the Love & Mercy film. It's not the WHOLE story; it's Brian/Melinda's point of view. That's a fair point to make. But while there are other people and angles that can be discussed, examined, and brought into fuller light, which should be able to be discussed by Mike (or anybody)... it will never be right or ethical to try and discuss those other people/points WHILE also very specifically attempting to erase and discredit Melinda from having ANY role. That can't be acceptable, that can't be ethical, and Mike trying to do it is about as bad and despicable as any type of blatant falsehoods that Landy spat out of his vile mouth during his reign.

Melinda playing an undeniable *part* of the Landy extraction process should be as etched in stone and irrefutable as any songwriting credit that Mike has.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:10:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

Cool Guy

I agree with your statement in the last paragraph.  Mike could easily get a lot of sympathy from others, including me, if he'd simply accept and credit Melinda for the person she is and what she's accomplished. 

Re:  the timeline you proposed: I would simply say that no timeline, including this one, is completely linear, so - actually, no.  Melinda had been working with Carl and one of his attorney's for some time.  Audree appeared to be overwhelmed, as I understand it, when approached by Melinda and friends.  I suppose we could consider that understandable, given her age and health.  Melinda, Gloria and friends never gave up in the face of very tough odds and they approached whomever might take action when given the opportunity, as I understand it.

Again, I'm grateful for the legal actions taken that were effective and thank the family members who could, and finally did, act.  I shudder to think what might have happened without the relentless efforts on the part of the people who got the family to take action - Melinda, Gloria and friends.  To have Melinda and the others "dismissed" in that interview is offensive to many of us who are glad Brian Wilson is still alive.

Sadly, I don't expect anything to change in that regard.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »

Cool Guy

I agree with your statement in the last paragraph.  Mike could easily get a lot of sympathy from others, including me, if he'd simply accept and credit Melinda for the person she is and what she's accomplished.  

Re:  the timeline you proposed: I would simply say that no timeline, including this one, is completely linear, so - actually, no.  Melinda had been working with Carl and one of his attorney's for some time.  Audree appeared to be overwhelmed, as I understand it, when approached by Melinda and friends.  I suppose we could consider that understandable, given her age and health.  Melinda, Gloria and friends never gave up in the face of very tough odds and they approached whomever might take action when given the opportunity, as I understand it.

Again, I'm grateful for the legal actions taken that were effective and thank the family members who could, and finally did, act.  I shudder to think what might have happened without the relentless efforts on the part of the people who got the family to take action - Melinda, Gloria and friends.  To have Melinda and the others "dismissed" in that interview is offensive to many of us who are glad Brian Wilson is still alive.

Sadly, I don't expect anything to change in that regard.

I feel so very sorry for Audree during this time. Does anyone know what her living conditions were like at the time? Was she living on her own, or at an assisted living facility? I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be an elderly person seeing their child go through this, especially just years after the death of another child.

Thank goodness Melinda took the initiative in the manner that she did.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:09:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »

I am very certain that Audree was taken care of extremely well.  She was a wealthy woman on her own and my limited observations were that she and Carl were as close as a parent/child can be.  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that she was in distress.  She was simply older and I don't know exactly when her health began to fail.  No one was "harassing" her to save Brian.  I didn't mean to imply that at all.  The woman lived well in her later years. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:03:37 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:28 AM »

While there are only a few little tidbits of stories and a bit of footage on the Carl Wilson "Here and Now" DVD from Billy Hinsche, Audree certainly seemed well taken care of and in good spirits in footage and stories from later years shown on the DVD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »

I am very certain that Audree was taken care of extremely well.  She was a wealthy woman on her own and my limited observations were that she and Carl were as close as a parent/child can be.  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that she was in distress.  She was simply older and I don't know exactly when her health began to fail.  No one was "harassing" her to save Brian.  I didn't mean to imply that at all.  The woman lived well in her later years. 

Thanks Debbie, yes, I did not think you implied anything less. I could imagine that regardless if she was living well and was well cared for, that it must have just been an emotionally overwhelming experience for an elderly parent to know what to do, especially someone who may have been fragile from losing another child recently.

I hesitate to even think about what would have happened absent Melinda's involvement at the exact moment when she got the ball rolling. Maybe Mike can think about that too. To unequivocally brush her off is a low blow. It reminds me of Phylicia Rashad's now-infamous comment "forget these women" when referring to Cosby rape victims.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx