gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:12:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 51968 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

It is easier to look at the posts as a fillabuster, not an actual argument.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »

Well there you have it. THAT'S what Mike meant. Melinda doesn't get the credit, Melinda's PHONE does.

I'm typing up an email right now to Bill Pohlad asking why this phone was not appropriately depicted in the movie. Credit where credit's due folks.
Excuse me. The interviews I have seen, IIRC related that Melinda had the family phone numbers because Brian used her phone to speak to his family without Landy's prying eyes.  Landy had cut his family off as was in the court allegations reported in the LATimes.

That phone record gave her access to Brian's family.  

Nobody can be this dense. Nobody.

FDP: HeyJude was being sarcastic. It comes from being exasperated from your continual refusal to respond to what he, I, or 99% of people on this board actually ask you.

The phone was important, it played a role, as did THE WOMAN WHO OWNED THE PHONE. The inanimate object known as a cellphone needed a mammal to operate it, and that mammal was named Melinda. She was part of the process of extracting Landy, using a phone as a tool in her mission against the tool named Landy, and Love won't credit her for it, EVEN IN PART. Speaking of tools...
CD - filtering uncalled-for sarcasm is not anyone's job on this board.

In the late 80's most of those phones were either installed into cars or in the alternative carried in a large bag.

Melinda had the exclusive custody and control in the legal sense of that phone to possess that critical information and her address where the post office would deliver the bill that had those phone numbers.  That is not unimportant and common knowledge or should be that the person who owns that phone, and the phone line has exclusive control over it and a place where Landy could not go.  

That is the point.  The electronic documentation to get help for Brian so those who had standing could get into court as well as the will.  If I had to guess the family had private unpublished phone numbers and not available in the public phone directory.

Melinda contacted the family on a line over which Landy had no control.  Brian could not.  

It was a very important inanimate object.

Is this an attempt to wear down posters who you hope will just stop responding to your distractions? It won't work. I'll be here all night to tear apart all of your ridiculous trolling non-answers and distractions.

How many times do I or anyone else on this board have to remind you:

NOBODY DENIES THE PHONE, STAN, OR A HOST OF OTHER PEOPLE AND INANIMATE OBJECTS WERE PART OF THE LANDY EXTRACTION.

If you want to talk about them, that's fine. Start another thread.

Don't sidestep that Melinda was not included in Mike's "village" that you like to call it.

If she was included, by Mike, if she was given ANY credit, by Mike, this conversation would not be where it is now. What is so hard about saying, "yeah, it appears that Melinda may not have been credited by Mike in his statement, and that is unfortunate". Is that putting words in your mouth? Are those words which you do not feel? That Mike has to be asked to clarify what he meant before you'd say something like that?

If a moderator on this board posts: "Saying Mike had a role in the writing of the song California Girls is inaccurate. That was Brian Wilson who wrote it"... would you say it needs further clarification that the person who posted that is full of sh*t?

The "village" is not one-dimensional.   And frankly, until I read more of the LA Times articles, I did not realize Stan's role with Audree as the follow-up.  And, there is a lot of credit to go around.  It may not have been the job of that movie to tell part 2.  

Please do not contort my position of full support for Melinda's role.  But on balance, I realize that what Melinda started, had to be finished.  And, by Brian's family, and complicated by the fact he did not have a spouse at that time.  I wondered how it was resolved.  

Mike is a big boy.  He can freely, if he chooses, discuss or not discuss, his role or his brother's in the context of this mess.  

But, it seems that as someone had to bring the legal complaint, (a definite "bad guy messenger" job that few would want to take on in court) which could not have been an easy task, I now see more clearly the follow-up role that Stan took to see a clearer and fuller picture of what happened.  

It does not matter to me that the court sessions were not in the movie.  The important message of Brian's great gift of music, his struggle with a predatory and ultimate redemption engaged by Melinda was conveyed in the film.  

And, I won't be apologizing for looking at both series of events; the initiation of the rescue, and the follow-up in court.  It is "the rest of the story."  Wink

If you have an issue with Mike, take it up with him.  

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2016, 12:16:52 PM »

Is it easier to ignore the follow-up?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »

there's irony there that I'm a little surprised Pohlad didn't work into the L&M script somehow - Brian is prevented from contacting his family with the usual means by Landy, so he covertly uses Melinda's cell instead to call Mom & Carl w/o Landy's knowledge, which saved phone numbers later gives Melinda the direct means she needs to make family contact and take down Landy
Pohlad had enough on his plate - what he accomplished with the Pet Sounds scenes was nothing short of amazing.

What people may not realize (especially young people who grew up with cell phones when they were in grade school) is that they were not something that everyone had. That goes back about 30 years.

And, I bought one as a gift in 1987 and it was a lot of money.  Then you had to get it installed in a car.  So, people had them, if they were doctors, lawyers or business people who had to be able to be reached on short notice.  

Portable phones in the States were not commonplace until the mid to late 90's.  So, a portable phone for the late 80's was the exception rather than the rule. Radio Shack used to sell them as a specialty item and still has some of it's ads online.    

Yeah, and there's a coupon for inexpensive phones at Fry's in Burbank, did you know that?

They give you lots of free minutes, and lots of free data! Isn't that great!

I'm so glad we can talk about the intricacies of cell phones, instead of the issue at hand!

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.

It is utterly frikkin' exhausting, isn't it?  Can we get back to the subject of this thread, already, Madame Counselor?

Debbie KL - the OP thread post was about one article from the beaumont enterprise, then took a detour to lubbock online. 

That was the initial subject of the thread.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »

there's irony there that I'm a little surprised Pohlad didn't work into the L&M script somehow - Brian is prevented from contacting his family with the usual means by Landy, so he covertly uses Melinda's cell instead to call Mom & Carl w/o Landy's knowledge, which saved phone numbers later gives Melinda the direct means she needs to make family contact and take down Landy
Pohlad had enough on his plate - what he accomplished with the Pet Sounds scenes was nothing short of amazing.

What people may not realize (especially young people who grew up with cell phones when they were in grade school) is that they were not something that everyone had. That goes back about 30 years.

And, I bought one as a gift in 1987 and it was a lot of money.  Then you had to get it installed in a car.  So, people had them, if they were doctors, lawyers or business people who had to be able to be reached on short notice.  

Portable phones in the States were not commonplace until the mid to late 90's.  So, a portable phone for the late 80's was the exception rather than the rule. Radio Shack used to sell them as a specialty item and still has some of it's ads online.    

Yeah, and there's a coupon for inexpensive phones at Fry's in Burbank, did you know that?

I'm so glad we can talk about the intricacies of cell phones, instead of the issue at hand!

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.

It is utterly frikkin' exhausting, isn't it?  Can we get back to the subject of this thread, already, Madame Counselor?

Debbie KL - the OP thread post was about one article from the beaumont enterprise, then took a detour to lubbock online.  

And both were interviews with Mike, one far more derogatory and inflammatory than the other.  Should we start a new, separate thread about the Lubbock online article, the one we've been discussing for pages now, aside from you and your diversions?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:28:01 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:19 PM »

Sacred cows.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.

It is utterly frikkin' exhausting, isn't it?  Can we get back to the subject of this thread, already, Madame Counselor?

And both were interviews with Mike, one far more derogatory and inflammatory than the other.  Should we start a new, separate thread about the Lubbock online article, the one we've been discussing for pages now, aside from you and your diversions?
Debbie - I think the Lubbock article was covered more than the original thread topic.  And this firestorm was covered in a now-locked thread.

Happy Friday!  Beer
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:39:58 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »

Yipee!!!

Flippin' TROLL.

Debbie - I think the Lubbock article was covered more than the original thread topic.  And this firestorm was covered in a now-locked thread.

Happy Friday!  Beer

Interesting.  Why was the thread locked?

Edit - adding:  And since it's become a primary discussion on this thread that doesn't specify a particular article, why is that a problem?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:42:52 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »

Mike is a big boy.  He can freely, if he chooses, discuss or not discuss, his role or his brother's in the context of this mess.  

And this big boy named Mike can also freely specifically publicly eradicate Melinda from having any part of it too, and that's okay by you.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »

Sorry - I meant to ask this of Filledeplage from the previous discussion (Edit)

So, is this the article that needs to be moved to a different thread, or not?  If so, I'll post it that way.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtxOOvkrLIV
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:15:15 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

Is it easier to ignore the follow-up?

You do follow-ups?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

I'm confused. What thread is locked?
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »

Sorry - I meant to ask this of Filledeplage from the previous discussion (Edit)

So, is this the article that needs to be moved to a different thread, or not?  If so, I'll post it that way.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtxOOvkrLIV

Just read this for the first time.  It is completely dismissive of Melinda.  I am surprised he was ever on the guest list.  Go buy a ticket like everybody else indeed.

EoL

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »

Well there you have it. THAT'S what Mike meant. Melinda doesn't get the credit, Melinda's PHONE does.

I'm typing up an email right now to Bill Pohlad asking why this phone was not appropriately depicted in the movie. Credit where credit's due folks.
Excuse me. The interviews I have seen, IIRC related that Melinda had the family phone numbers because Brian used her phone to speak to his family without Landy's prying eyes.  Landy had cut his family off as was in the court allegations reported in the LATimes.

That phone record gave her access to Brian's family.  

Nobody can be this dense. Nobody.

FDP: HeyJude was being sarcastic. It comes from being exasperated from your continual refusal to respond to what he, I, or 99% of people on this board actually ask you.

The phone was important, it played a role, as did THE WOMAN WHO OWNED THE PHONE. The inanimate object known as a cellphone needed a mammal to operate it, and that mammal was named Melinda. She was part of the process of extracting Landy, using a phone as a tool in her mission against the tool named Landy, and Love won't credit her for it, EVEN IN PART. Speaking of tools...
CD - filtering uncalled-for sarcasm is not anyone's job on this board.

In the late 80's most of those phones were either installed into cars or in the alternative carried in a large bag.

Melinda had the exclusive custody and control in the legal sense of that phone to possess that critical information and her address where the post office would deliver the bill that had those phone numbers.  That is not unimportant and common knowledge or should be that the person who owns that phone, and the phone line has exclusive control over it and a place where Landy could not go.  

That is the point.  The electronic documentation to get help for Brian so those who had standing could get into court as well as the will.  If I had to guess the family had private unpublished phone numbers and not available in the public phone directory.

Melinda contacted the family on a line over which Landy had no control.  Brian could not.  

It was a very important inanimate object.

Is this an attempt to wear down posters who you hope will just stop responding to your distractions? It won't work. I'll be here all night to tear apart all of your ridiculous trolling non-answers and distractions.

How many times do I or anyone else on this board have to remind you:

NOBODY DENIES THE PHONE, STAN, OR A HOST OF OTHER PEOPLE AND INANIMATE OBJECTS WERE PART OF THE LANDY EXTRACTION.

If you want to talk about them, that's fine. Start another thread.

Don't sidestep that Melinda was not included in Mike's "village" that you like to call it.

If she was included, by Mike, if she was given ANY credit, by Mike, this conversation would not be where it is now. What is so hard about saying, "yeah, it appears that Melinda may not have been credited by Mike in his statement, and that is unfortunate". Is that putting words in your mouth? Are those words which you do not feel? That Mike has to be asked to clarify what he meant before you'd say something like that?

If a moderator on this board posts: "Saying Mike had a role in the writing of the song California Girls is inaccurate. That was Brian Wilson who wrote it"... would you say it needs further clarification that the person who posted that is full of sh*t?

The "village" is not one-dimensional.   And frankly, until I read more of the LA Times articles, I did not realize Stan's role with Audree as the follow-up.  And, there is a lot of credit to go around.  It may not have been the job of that movie to tell part 2.  

Please do not contort my position of full support for Melinda's role.  But on balance, I realize that what Melinda started, had to be finished.  And, by Brian's family, and complicated by the fact he did not have a spouse at that time.  I wondered how it was resolved.  

But, it seems that as someone had to bring the legal complaint, (a definite "bad guy messenger" job that few would want to take on in court) which could not have been an easy task, I now see more clearly the follow-up role that Stan took to see a clearer and fuller picture of what happened.  

It does not matter to me that the court sessions were not in the movie.  The important message of Brian's great gift of music, his struggle with a predatory and ultimate redemption engaged by Melinda was conveyed in the film.  

And, I won't be apologizing for looking at both series of events; the initiation of the rescue, and the follow-up in court.  It is "the rest of the story."  Wink

If you have an issue with Mike, take it up with him.  

Re:  Stan's role, of course this is his account and he doesn't describe the source of the will information.  He certainly wasn't involved with the people around Landy who might have gotten access to that draft will.  He also wasn't the person the family desired to follow-through on the legal process it appears.  Another red herring.

Edit:  Oops, failed to mention that Audree wasn't involved with those folks either.  Do you think that Melinda and friends might have contacted Audree as well as Carl in trying to save Brian?  I'm thinking there's a lot of evidence that says so.  Once again, we're back to Melinda as the impetus to the legal action that saved Brian.

Is there any further need to try to take credit from her? 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:31:30 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »

According to Timothy White, in September 1991 Stan said "Two former employees of Landy's approached me about the will, and the attorneys for the Wilson family now have signed affidavits from these former Landy employees in which they state that they saw a new will drafted by Landy in which Landy was going to get 70 percent of Brian's estate and publishing, with Landy's girlfriend Alexandra Morgan getting 10 percent and Brian's daughters each getting 10 percent. The witnesses say in their affidavits that the will was being readied for Brian's signature."

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2016, 01:44:05 AM »

According to Timothy White, in September 1991 Stan said "Two former employees of Landy's approached me about the will, and the attorneys for the Wilson family now have signed affidavits from these former Landy employees in which they state that they saw a new will drafted by Landy in which Landy was going to get 70 percent of Brian's estate and publishing, with Landy's girlfriend Alexandra Morgan getting 10 percent and Brian's daughters each getting 10 percent. The witnesses say in their affidavits that the will was being readied for Brian's signature."

One of my late father's favourite expressions was "self praise is no recommendation". Stan's version of events is obviously going to make his role seem significant. I don't know whether it is the truth but I would guess that if Brian felt really grateful to Stan that would manifest in Brian's attitude.

Mike of course said this: "The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy’s son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy’s dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it’s a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."  Now it's all very well stating that Landy saved Brian's life and quoting from his son. His son if I'm remembering it correctly didn't go into details about the changes to Brian's will. That's rather harder to defend, isn't it? 10% to Landy's girlfriend - the same amount as to Brian's next of kin? And didn't Love and Mercy show Gloria had retained some of the meds? So maybe Gloria should get more credit for saving Brian's life.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2016, 03:13:24 AM »

To me it seems there are two parts, Melinda and others saving Brian from Landy's medical malpractice in 1989 and Stan and Carl and others saving Brian from Landy's on-going life control in 1991.  Something like that.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:35 AM »

To me it seems there are two parts, Melinda and others saving Brian from Landy's medical malpractice in 1989 and Stan and Carl and others saving Brian from Landy's on-going life control in 1991.  Something like that.

Cam - The vicarious biography of Landy (WIBN) on pages 350-351, has a very interesting narrative that reads like some kind of sequence of events...

"In the meantime, Dr. Landy and I were hit by a bombshell that severely darkened the already long shadow in which we stood.  In February 1988, the Board of Medical Quality Assurance (BMQA), California's custody of the medical professions, charged Dr. Landy with ethical and licensing code violations that threatened his ability to practice psychology in California. The public witch-hunt Carl, Marilyn, the Beach Boys, and Carolyn Williams had pursued and always hoped for.  

One morning after my workout, Gene broke the news to me. He had spent the morning with his attorney Mark Meador...

...Filed by the attorney general's office, the BMQA charges originated with a complaint filed by Carolyn Williams in 1984.  They were then fueled by the journal Gary Usher compiled while we wrote songs together the previous year and pressed by Marilyn and Carl.  The real reason BMQA brought charges had to do with Dr. Landy's unorthodox treatment of me.

The papers filed by the BMQA detailed his (Landy's) roles as my executive producer, co-producer, business manager, cosongwriter, and business adviser.  The charges implied that Dr. Landy took advantage of me, even though at the time they were filed I was in the best physical, emotional, and financial shape I've been in since the Beach Boys inception.  Not only had Dr. Landy saved my life, he'd returned my career to me."

For those who are unfamiliar with "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by Todd Gold, it is the "autobio" of Brian that Landy apparently and vicariously wrote dedicating it to "Dr. Eugene Landy." The copyright is 1991 and Brian has completely rejected involvement with this book.  

In connection with this effort, October 10, 1991, Primetime Live, at about midpoint has Brian's attorney describing a BRI meeting with Brian that Landy attended, and his great and straightforward concern about him.  Diane Sawyer has Landy on the ropes.

http://youtu.be/wdik8rP2TYU  

A Current Affair has a perspective Maureen O'Boyle tells through the lens of Wendy and Carnie. Also high-profile national coverage.

There are screen shots of the legal documents filed in Brian's behalf.  

http://youtu.be/k56ecdZ1-As

While the case that was filed, is sealed, there is national media coverage to shine light on the Audree's, Carl's, Wendy's/Carnie's, Stan's and others' involvement in the separation from Landy.

Landy's attorney has a little cameo.  His status is on the State Bar of California's website.

Hope the links work but it is easily searchable.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:04:31 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:57 AM »

I guess I'm curious why two Landy employees would approach Stan Love with the will when Carl, Audree and Brian's daughters were the next of kin and quite frankly, they were the ones cut out of that draft will.  There's something very wrong with this story, especially since Melinda and friends had already been in touch with Carl and Audree about the same subject.  It simply doesn't add up.

And again, we repeat, that doesn't excuse Mike's calling Melinda's role in extricating Brian from Landy, as portrayed in L&M "innacurate."  It totally dismisses all of her extensive efforts to get the family to take action, again we repeat the only people who could take legal action.  Melinda and friends got this to happen through Carl and his attorneys, as it's portrayed in the movie.  What about this is so difficult to understand? 

Mike was dead wrong challenging the accuracy of a film that he supposedly hasn't seen when it in fact, covers the subject well without the tedium that would destroy a film.  It's clear that Carl took legal action.  Should it have been a 4 hour film where the exterior of conference rooms and court rooms is shown while we imagine what the attorneys were discussing, with no facts since the files are sealed?  Stan was not part of that process, in any case.  This argument is ridiculous.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2016, 07:01:21 AM »

It seems that any conversation involving Mike-Eddie ends up there...at ridiculous Debbie.  So...let it be said that ultimately the guy invites hostility to erupt just ahead of the mandatory yawn festival.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »

I guess I'm curious why two Landy employees would approach Stan Love with the will when Carl, Audree and Brian's daughters were the next of kin and quite frankly, they were the ones cut out of that draft will.  There's something very wrong with this story, especially since Melinda and friends had already been in touch with Carl and Audree about the same subject.  It simply doesn't add up.

And again, we repeat, that doesn't excuse Mike's calling Melinda's role in extricating Brian from Landy, as portrayed in L&M "innacurate."  It totally dismisses all of her extensive efforts to get the family to take action, again we repeat the only people who could take legal action.  Melinda and friends got this to happen through Carl and his attorneys, as it's portrayed in the movie.  What about this is so difficult to understand?  

Mike was dead wrong challenging the accuracy of a film that he supposedly hasn't seen when it in fact, covers the subject well without the tedium that would destroy a film.  It's clear that Carl took legal action.  Should it have been a 4 hour film where the exterior of conference rooms and court rooms is shown while we imagine what the attorneys were discussing, with no facts since the files are sealed?  Stan was not part of that process, in any case.  This argument is ridiculous.
Debbie - I don't know whom you mean by Landy's employees.  It seems that he had a dozen or so that he was paying out of whatever he was being paid. And about whom Landy used as a defense that he was not getting all the dough himself and that he had a payroll to "make good on."

What is interesting to me is that the catalog of Landy (because we know this autobio was not written by Brian) reads like "an enemy list." And it seems transparent about whom Landy was in the war with in court.    

The national media must have done some "due diligence" prior to filming, with court filings and those multiple interviews etc., and not taking anyone's word for what was going on.  Those programs aired in 1991 not long from when a decision was rendered.  

The film could not have covered everything. How do you cover 55 years in 2 hours?

And, Mike's response is something that comes from his set of experiences.  Everyone has an opinion that they formulate, based on their experiences.  The interview on A Current Affair was sort of a metaphor with the guy behind the jail-like gate, saying that Brian was doing great (while with Landy.)  It appeared Landy-coached, to me, while the cameras were rolling.    

On p. 269 of Carlin, with regarding Stan,"The real killer was that Audree kept calling me in tears, saying, 'I can't call Brian.  The girls can't call Brian. Landy tells them we're bad influences and won't let him talk to us.' (Landy says that on national TV to Diane Sawyer, as she is taking him down.) ...No matter his motivations, Stan found a lawyer in San Diego who not only specialized in psychological abuse but also turned out to be a fan of Brian's music.  The lawyer, Tom Monson, waived the usual retainer, and together they began turning up a trail of witnesses and documents that confirmed all his worst suspicions."

And, I would imagine that Mike was aware of what Stan was doing and keeping the band and the family in the loop. Audree must have trusted him.  I would absolutely expect Mike to have an opinion on that involvement as it appears that his brother found this lawyer, and was in pursuit of witnesses.  They are not named so we don't know if they were among those of Landy. Or, maybe fired by Landy?  

On p. 271, in Carlin, "For one thing, Landy had moved to cut off all the people with whom Brian had a personal connection that the psychologist couldn't control. Melinda Ledbetter, who had been seeing Brian on and off for three years, had seen her access to Brian, suddenly and inexplicably cut off in late 1989."  

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:34:23 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »

But the recent interviews and last year's Evan Landy interview shows a guy who barely cares about BW's ordeal with Landy. The only reason he brings up Carl and Stan is make Melinda look like a liar. Mike didn't give a crap about BW during his post Kokomo egotrip, thinking Terry Melcher and Bruce made BW obsolete in the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »

But the recent interviews and last year's Evan Landy interview shows a guy who barely cares about BW's ordeal with Landy. The only reason he brings up Carl and Stan is make Melinda look like a liar. Mike didn't give a crap about BW during his post Kokomo egotrip, thinking Terry Melcher and Bruce made BW obsolete in the BBs.
Smile Brian -  I did not get that impression. I re-read the Evan interview again after I re-watched the Current Affair with Wendy and Carnie.  And the Sawyer interview.

The girls' position was that Landy stole their father and deprived them of Brian's companionship, during the same time Evan was enjoying Brian's company, complete with birthdays, that Brian spent with the Landy family, instead of the Wilson girls.  But, I also think that the Love family would be on the side of Brian's girls and Audree.

But part of me feels a little badly for Evan, who was born into that situation, with a father who was such a predator.  He was around the band for a while.  Just looking at him creeps me out.  I bet Landy creeped them out as well seeing Brian in a rented house and Landy living in Brian's house. 

Mike knows his brother was involved and filed the suit. It was very widely-publicized.   

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »

It seems that any conversation involving Mike-Eddie ends up there...at ridiculous Debbie.  So...let it be said that ultimately the guy invites hostility to erupt just ahead of the mandatory yawn festival.
I like reading Debbie's informed perspective, so please don't try to silence her.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »

I like reading Debbie's informed perspective, so please don't try to silence her.

I took it that a comma was missing in Add Some's post. I too enjoy having the opinion of someone with personal knowledge of what actually happened.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx